AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 30 27.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 34.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-11, 22:04   Link #221
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No argument with the post there --- all I was saying was that *my* preference was what it was. I think you can achieve what you're talking about without resorting to extreme liberties though --- you don't want to head towards the "Whats up, Tiger Lily?" solution
What is this "What's up, Tiger Lily?" thing you keep mentioning Vexx?

Anyway to all, I don't like to use these Japanese acronyms that others like to use, because I just prefer not to confuse where possible (When I'm not deliberately trying too). Everytime somebody uses a term such as Sakuga or Eroge I do a bit of an eyeroll because it creates a bit of an unnecessary in club/out club division on the board.

It's all about the acronyms and fooling around with the final syllables on phrases and names over there though, especially with celeberty nicknames. How else would explain something like Hikki which sounds like something a girl would give a guy during foreplay, but is actually a nickname for somebody.
Old 2007-06-12, 00:00   Link #222
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
What is this "What's up, Tiger Lily?" thing you keep mentioning Vexx?
You do know that the wiki is your friend at times, right?

linky

Perhaps you've heard of "Mad Movies with the LA Connection?" --it's in a similar vein...
Old 2007-06-12, 00:07   Link #223
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry... "Whats up, Tiger Lily?" is an early Woody Allen directed classic.

Basically, he takes a rather bad Japanese action flick ("Key of Keys") and dubs it. The dub has NOTHING to do with the original plot line and turns a 'serious' film into a really off-the-wall comedy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061177/ <- What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Its a great bit of silliness but also an example of the far end of the dub pool
edit: Crow wins the posting speed...
Old 2007-06-12, 00:31   Link #224
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
You do know that the wiki is your friend at times, right?

linky

Perhaps you've heard of "Mad Movies with the LA Connection?" --it's in a similar vein...
No, but I have seen some of that Kung Faux show, which was highly amusing. There's also Volcano High a Korean film that was redubbed by MTV to feature Snoop Dogg and other rappers voices (I witnessed this at a friends house and have blocked most of it out). I see what this is now. Still, I absolutely cannot stand Woody Allen in any capacity of his existance. I almost wish I hadn't known now as it's so typical of his cheesy style and tendency to insert himself into everything he does that it makes me want to vomit. I had to sit through Mighty Aphrodite once for an Ancient World in Film course and let me tell you.....

Thanks anyway though.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-06-12 at 00:45.
Old 2007-06-12, 01:30   Link #225
Fat Cat Lim

Konadad appears to be using a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM for the lenses, while one of the camera bodies that he's using is a Nikon D200. Not really sure if the camera that's paired with the Canon lenses is a Canon or another Nikon D200, but it sure looks like the Nikon D200 from the left-side body.

Canon lenses - http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
Nikon D200 - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/
Old 2007-06-12, 02:51   Link #226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
No, but I have seen some of that Kung Faux show, which was highly amusing. There's also Volcano High a Korean film that was redubbed by MTV to feature Snoop Dogg and other rappers voices (I witnessed this at a friends house and have blocked most of it out). I see what this is now. Still, I absolutely cannot stand Woody Allen in any capacity of his existance. ...
Thanks anyway though.
In minor defense, Tiger Lily was done back in the 1960s, back when Allen was still relatively funny as opposed to the Andy Warhol-ish caricature he is today. I first saw it in in 1977 during a campus film festival.

It just seems the perfect poster-child for "dubs gone wrong" (intentional or not).
Old 2007-06-12, 15:10   Link #227
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

After hearing a parody of "Noizy Tribe" for the SECOND time in the series, I'm gonna post the TV version of the original song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLpZif_eA6g

And if anyone wants it, the full version
Old 2007-09-17, 15:01   Link #228
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Late post from a late LS fan....

I don't know about anyone else but I thought this Lucky Channel was the funniest one yet. Akira doing that real deep "NEEEEEE!?" (from the "this kind of thing would never happen to you, NEEE!?") the first time KILLED me. I rewound it and tried to watch that part without laughing and failed.
Old 2009-05-22, 21:26   Link #229
OkamiNoKaze

Is her dad's camera a reference to Speed Grapher?, or did that show come out afterward?
Old 2009-05-22, 21:57   Link #230
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No reference.... the 4-koma manga featured dad as a shutterbug who just loves the little women.

Not everything in this series is a "reference"... somewhere under the layers of references and product placement is the original funny little human comedy that was selected to be animated.
Old 2010-05-13, 03:08   Link #231
Qikz

Just watched this one this morning for the first time. Konata's dad made me laugh quite a bit and Akira's deep ne's made me laugh quite a bit. I wonder why I've never actually sat and watched this before.
Closed Thread