AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-01-24, 19:25   Link #1021
Naichi
BeatoXBattler ftw ♥

Ooohhh thanks but I think it's too late to try that XDDDD; I'll just replay the game and save spots again :O
Naichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 19:48   Link #1022
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Hello guys. I have a question from a friend.

Quote:
"I got Umineko Episode 4. I opened the game folder and copied the contents into an empty folder. I then downloaded the patch and put that folder in the Umineko folder. I'm not using Vista. When I run the game, using the OnScripter in the patch folder, the WitchHunt logo shows up, but the main menu never does. The waves and seagulls can be heard, but the menu itself never shows up.

I'm not sure, but this might have something to do with the fact that I just copied the files instead of installing normal. Maybe someone could post a screencap of their folder?
What do you think could be her problem?

Thanks!
Shinigami_Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 20:01   Link #1023
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami_Mello View Post
What do you think could be her problem?
That was actually explained in the readme file:

Quote:
Problem: The game shows the circle logos first, but then the screen remains black.

Solution: The installation of your patch wasn’t done properly. Please be sure that the folder of the patch is located in your game installation folder, as its direct sub-directory. Whenever you access to your patch folder from the main game folder, you must not reach an in-between blank folder at all. For example:

Correct: C:\07th_Expansion\Umineko4\[WH] Umineko English
Wrong : C:\07th_Expansion\Umineko4\”folder name here” \[WH] Umineko English

If your problem is still present, please check if your arc.nsa of the main game weren’t corrupted or overwritten. Their combined size should be 908M.
and now, for some updates:
Chapter 1 is finished, we are going to edit it and keep going on the translation phase obviously.
From this point, it is the 10% mark of our next release: considering episode 4 huge size, we decided to split it into 3 this time. As usual, we will try to choose the best momentum to stop the translation for each partial patch.
We are also working on some new feature which might be relevant to everyone's interest. More details when we are good with the testing.

For the moment, as a whole, 3% of episode 4 is done and the image editing is finished at 100%.
As already stated before, we are having some breaks so the pace will be a bit slower, but we are doing our best for it.
Old 2009-01-24, 20:06   Link #1024
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

And her reply to that:

Quote:
"My patch is installed like that. I know how to install it. Also, the arc sizes are right."
Thanks for the reply so far Klash!

Last edited by Shinigami_Mello; 2009-01-24 at 20:50.
Old 2009-01-24, 20:11   Link #1025
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
Good news- my disk came in today!

Bad news- I was in the shower, so instead of leaving the package at the door or at my apartments office, they took my package back to the post office and I have to pick it up on Monday D: .

That, or post-dude never rang the doorbell at all this morning > ....
Same here... I was asleep when it came... I wish they would just leave it at the door instead. >_>;

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 20:46   Link #1026
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami_Mello View Post
And her reply to that:
Well the problem is that it must be either the original game or the patch location.
Since the patch is still running without any menu, that means it cannot reach out the original arc.nsa.
So I think you have to test out the original game if it works properly.

That aside, I really can't see how the problem is, considering it really looks like a directory issue. *thinks*
A picture of the whole main game folder + patch folder would be helpful.
Old 2009-01-24, 20:51   Link #1027
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

And more:

Quote:
Edit: Alright, the problem seems to be fixed, but she also wanted to mention something about it.

Quote:
"I was able to get it to work by taking the contents of the fullscr folder to the main umineko folder. However, now playing the game, I'd like to suggest you guys use the same text that the Sonozaki twins use for Higurashi. At least for the main text. With your current text, periods and commas are indistinguishable, making the text often look awkward and harder to read."
She also wanted to ask if anyone elses copy came with the chess piece charm!
Old 2009-01-24, 21:04   Link #1028
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

We only provided this font as a base and actually suggested by Mion, ironically enough (and the font by itself was quite satisfying us back then, so heh).
That said, anyone can customize the font themselves without any problem: please just select the font file you want to use (truetypefont format), rename it as "default.ttf" and overwrite the old one.

Simply put, you can use any font you like (so simply copying the Futagotachi patch font and pasting it in our patch works wonder). However, I will suggest that the selected font should be able to display japanese characters, or it will have a lots of issues in some occasions.
Old 2009-01-24, 22:20   Link #1029
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Alright. She's been playing through it now and wanted to add some typo's she's noticed =)

Quote:
After the opening movie of Episode 1 plays, the word "to" is missing from the following sentence: "It used to be we had sway and rock on the way". Shouldn't "to" be before "sway"?"

And there is a hyphen missing right after that. It should be "half-day trip". And in the beginning chapter, it should be "high-class bed".

And in the TIPS for the seven stakes in Episode 1, there is a comma missing near the end, after the part about a person with strong magical powers.

It should also be "well-rested" in the description for Episode 2 on the main menu.

Oh, and during the first twilight, when Battler talks about his dad going to hell, he calls him a "son of b****". The "a" is missing. There might be hyphens missing too.
Old 2009-01-24, 22:35   Link #1030
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Ep. 1 has tons of typos in it, and I think Ep. 2 is messy at points also. But don't worry, we're taking care of that in a future patch. (I've noted three things I previously missed in Ep. 3 as well, for the picky.)

I think (although I don't speak for the entire team, so this isn't an "official" statement) the original releases were geared a little more toward making the game playable for a Western audience than delivering a 100%-professional package. In any event, we'll be going back and polishing things up, so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

EDIT: I don't mean to downplay anyone's contributions toward the effort; it's just that there are at least two of us who are going to sweep through the first two games and fix the vast majority of the errors, so rest assured we're very conscious that they exist. Once you reach Ep. 3 you'll probably find that the writing has become a lot cleaner in that aspect.

By the way, I'm still wondering (and this question is posed to both audience and fellow staff), should Jessica's speech be tweaked to be more coarse (a little in the vein of Hideyoshi's, but not the same style)? It's personally been sticking in my mind that everyone notes Jessica's "bad" speech, but the translation itself doesn't reflect that.

The problems with doing so are twofold, I think: the coarseness of her speech is in a manner that doesn't translate well to English, and increased stylization increases the chances of misinterpreting Ryu07's intent. That is, the more we incorporate our own interpretation into the text, the more possibility there is that we miss the point, kind of like playing Telephone.

At the same time, I feel like there's a rather obvious incongruency involved, and while we're sweeping the old scripts, it seems that it's not a bad time to think about the issue.

Last edited by k//eternal; 2009-01-24 at 22:57.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 22:57   Link #1031
chronotrig

Yep, we'd love to hear recommended edits, but please PM us through the forum or email us for those.

Like you said, k//eternal, Jessica's speech doesn't translate well at all. It's not like she's actually swearing, although she might as well be as far as Natsuhi is concerned. We may make a few changes, but I believe accuracy to the details of the lines is more important in many cases. Maybe we'll add more detailed notes to the grimoire.

And, like k//eternal said, we are doing a massive overhaul of the patch. We've already made a few dozen changes to previous tips and pictures, as well as about 20 changes to the text in ep3 alone. Now that we have the final version of the question arcs, it's possible to go over everything in much more depth without worrying about how the next release will look.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-24, 23:48   Link #1032
crazysjd89

Send a message via MSN to crazysjd89
I was a bit afraid to send long lists of minor inconsistencies during episode 1 and 2,

As for Jessica's speech, I think their are a few ways to give her a more "coarse" speech, which I plan on sending later, and I'll let chrono and Klash decide if it's good or not.
crazysjd89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 07:32   Link #1033
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
orginally posted by Shingami mello

Oh, and during the first twilight, when Battler talks about his dad going to hell, he calls him a "son of b****". The "a" is missing. There might be hyphens missing too
I think that Battler says son of a bitch and not son of a bastard
Old 2009-01-25, 07:53   Link #1034
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

I just tried your EP3 patch
It's very good and all, it works well here
Nice job

Just a thing I noticed
I don't know if you already noticed it but I noticed you missed one joke in EP3 (I noticed it because laughed a lot when I did read it at first, in japanese)
If you allow me to... (and correct me if I'm wrong)

Spoiler:
Old 2009-01-25, 13:13   Link #1035
SnickS

I noticed that the Music Box in episode 3 (with patch 3.1) doesn't play OP version 2 for me. I tried to remove the subbed version out of the \[WH] Umineko English\movie folder but it doesn't make any difference (as in that the game plays the original one instead of the subbed one). When I click on it, the screen fades out (the same way as version 1) but after that it immediately returns to the music box menu, as if it couldn't find the file.
Is this a bug, or did I do something wrong?

Last edited by SnickS; 2009-01-25 at 13:27.
SnickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 13:17   Link #1036
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickS View Post
I noticed that the Music Box in episode 3 (with patch 3.1) doesn't play OP version 2 for me. I tried to remove the subbed version out of the \[WH] Umineko English\movie folder but it doesn't make any difference (as in that the game plays the original one). When I click on it, the screen fades out (the same way as version 1) but after that it immediately returns to the music box menu, as if it couldn't find the file.
Is this a bug, or did I do something wrong?
That's because onscripter can't play AVI files yet.
Orophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 15:48   Link #1037
SnickS

Thanks, that would explain it.
SnickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 23:03   Link #1038
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Oooooooh, yeah, I was wondering about that myself. Thought it was a bug on my side. Good to know .
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 05:45   Link #1039
HigurashinoUmineko

This is probably a stupid question but well how can you make a patch folder for the translation patch because I did read the readme file and it just goes black like after the 07th Expansion and Witch Hunt Logos appear....Yeah.
HigurashinoUmineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 08:44   Link #1040
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

In the japanese game folder, there must be the folder where the patch is, but you cannot have any sub directory in there.
Basically, in the main game folder, there should be the "[WH] Umineko English", and once you click it, you should have all the patch files. You cannot have "another folder" and then get the files.

Simply put, you must be able to reach the patch files as soon as you get access to the patch folder.
If it is still not working properly, try to launch the game first if it is working properly, and check the arc.nsa file size.

Tags
translation