AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-07-13, 11:03   Link #681
Sannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight
Uh, Kimblee's character goes way beyond his rivalry with Scar.
How so? He's just a willing pawn of the Homonculus after all. An awesome pawn because he is the only one who understands what they want to do and yet doesn't care, and because his way of living is so twisted, it's awesome, but what does he bring really, except for a competent foe for everyone (that was lacking)? The story goes well without him after all.

The day Scar seemed to get over Kimblee, I hoped Kimblee would never get a chance to fight and take his revenge on Scar, that he will die killed by someone else. And it happened. Somehow I knew that Arakawa would never give a chance to Scar to fall back to his old ways.
Sannom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 12:02   Link #682
Vicious108

How so? You just said how so. He's a very interesting antagonist for anyone to face. His conversations with Ed were a great read. He doesn't need Scar to be relevant to the storyline. Arakawa can just make him come back as Pride and wreak some havoc. Or maybe make him challenge Scar so Scar can spit it in his face that he no longer cares for him. It'd be interesting to see Kimblee's reaction to that.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 19:15   Link #683
Sannom

Oh he could be used again, and in great ways, but I don't feel like his death make us lacking of something or was too shocking : he was fighting against three people, two of them very competent fighters who made everything to take him down, and the other one a good medic who put one of the two fighters back on his feet in no time. The odds were certainly not in his favor.
Old 2009-07-14, 19:01   Link #684
Kirarakim

A friend pointed me out to some Roy Mustang fanservice on the gangan site. Literally a little video of Roy's story arc up to Vol 23. It also gives a glimpse of the Vol. 23 cover at the end. You can guess who is on the cover in all his glory.

http://gangan.square-enix.co.jp/onth...the_movie.html
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 19:22   Link #685
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Thanks for posting the video, it really made me remember how much has Roy went through on his climb to the top.

Yeah, the cover for Vol. 23 makes sense since Roy has a very major development in it, as well as the fight with Envy (which reminds me, will Envy be on the spine? I dont remember him being there in the past, and since he dies in the volume, he has a good chance to be there.)
Old 2009-07-14, 21:09   Link #686
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
A friend pointed me out to some Roy Mustang fanservice on the gangan site. Literally a little video of Roy's story arc up to Vol 23. It also gives a glimpse of the Vol. 23 cover at the end. You can guess who is on the cover in all his glory.

http://gangan.square-enix.co.jp/onth...the_movie.html
Neat little video, and yeah that's a pretty cool cover. Though I'm a little disappointed that Envy isn't also in it. It's his final volume after all. Guess there's still hope for the spine.
Old 2009-07-14, 21:14   Link #687
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Neat little video, and yeah that's a pretty cool cover. Though I'm a little disappointed that Envy isn't also in it. It's his final volume after all. Guess there's still hope for the spine.
I think he is almost guaranteed to be on the spine.
Old 2009-07-14, 22:13   Link #688
Vicious108

Is the spine character always different? I haven't actually bought any of the volumes yet so I wouldn't know. Kinda shameful, heh, but I'm waiting for the series to be complete to get them all at once.
Old 2009-07-14, 22:26   Link #689
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Is the spine character always different? I haven't actually bought any of the volumes yet so I wouldn't know. Kinda shameful, heh, but I'm waiting for the series to be complete to get them all at once.
The characters in spine are the characters that died in that volume, so each volume has different characters. And speaking of the manga spine my favorite had to be volume 7 where it shows all the cannon folders from the Devil's Nest .
Old 2009-07-15, 06:05   Link #690
Sannom

Quote:
Is the spine character always different?
Always, with one exception for Lin who comes as Lin and as Greelin.
Old 2009-07-15, 06:07   Link #691
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
The characters in spine are the characters that died in that volume, so each volume has different characters. And speaking of the manga spine my favorite had to be volume 7 where it shows all the cannon folders from the Devil's Nest .
Oh I was talking about the outside spine each one has a different character that appears only once. (although certain characters like Ling and Father have appeared in different forms on the spines). And since Envy is the only homunculus who has not appeared on the spine yet (besides Lust & the 1st Greed) I am pretty sure he is almost guaranteed to be there.

But yes each inside spine has a little omake of the characters that died that volume. They are very cute.
Old 2009-07-15, 09:14   Link #692
Vicious108

So all of Arakawa's omakes are present in the English release of the volumes? That's all the more reason to get them, those are great.

Now if only we'd get an English release of the Character Guide...
Old 2009-07-15, 14:33   Link #693
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
So all of Arakawa's omakes are present in the English release of the volumes? That's all the more reason to get them, those are great.

Now if only we'd get an English release of the Character Guide...
It always amazes me when people react with surprise that something that's in the Japanese manga would be in the English translation as well. People give the same reaction when I mention reading the translated infodumps at the back of each Negima volume. If it's in there, it's in there, right?

Of all the translated manga I've read (and it's quite a bit at this point) I've yet to read one half as bad as people seem to assume they all are...
Old 2009-07-15, 15:00   Link #694
Vicious108

I own over 70 volumes of translated manga and haven't seen all that much bonus material such as omakes in them, hence why I assumed FMA might not have included them. Excuse me if I offended you.
Old 2009-07-15, 17:32   Link #695
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
It's great seeing how much love Arakawa puts into the omake's, so yes you must start buying as soon as possible.
Old 2009-07-15, 18:17   Link #696
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I think all the omakes are in the volumes, actually, sometimes I come across one or two that I forgot or never saw translated in the first place.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 18:53   Link #697
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

Ok so this is just a little, well alot off topic, but it pertains to the 4th volume, I have a picture, but I was reading it, and I noticed in the right corner that a certain two characters that haven't even appeared in the story yet.
I don't know if this was brought up before, but it's just something I noticed just now and thought it might be entertaining.

On the topic of the manga omakes being included in the english releases, that's definately true, and even on one of the beginning sheets Arakawa herself states she would want to write manga that was 180 of "nothing but bonus pages" haha. I would buy that.
Old 2009-07-15, 19:16   Link #698
Kirarakim

It is true that the English release has all the Omake included in each volume. I buy both the English & Japanese volumes to compare

However fans who only buy the English release do miss out on some goodies included with special editions of the manga. For example one of the Japanese volumes I bought came with an extra booklet of sketches that Arakawa did. Another volume came with a booklet of Omake not included in the regular manga volumes. Of course that being said there hasn't been any special extras that came with any of the volumes recently, but there was a lot of neat stuff in the past.
Old 2009-07-15, 19:29   Link #699
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
It is true that the English release has all the Omake included in each volume. I buy both the English & Japanese volumes to compare
Wow now that's dedication. Do you know any Japanese? Since you own all the original volumes you might as well learn it, that way you could enjoy FMA in all its raw glory, heh.

And yeah it's a shame some of that bonus material don't make it outside Japan. The Japanese have it good. If I ever visited their country I'd be sure to come back with all kinds of exclusive FMA stuff. That would be nice...
Old 2009-07-15, 20:36   Link #700
Kirarakim

Quote:
Wow now that's dedication. Do you know any Japanese? Since you own all the original volumes you might as well learn it, that way you could enjoy FMA in all its raw glory, heh.
No I can't read Japanese unfortunately. I started buying random volumes of the Japanese manga a few years ago and then just picked up all the ones I missed at a convention and I have been collecting them ever since. Besides the special bonus material that is included from time to time, I just like how they look on my shelf more than the English release of the series.

Basically it's my favorite manga series and I like to show my support.