AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-30, 14:07   Link #61
xu_henry_ca
Davidsbündler

Send a message via MSN to xu_henry_ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojevo
I dont understand why they encode in rmvb. I've download a couple of chinese drama and they are all encoded in rmvb which is horrible. I think i'm pampered by anime fansubs because they encode in mpeg4 which is a much better compression technology. Fansubs groups will sub it sooner or later so i'll just wait for them.

Hi nojevo:

I guess the main reason that many anime series are encoded in rmvb is because of their relatively small size, compared to AVI divx rip. If you try to burn them, about 6 to 7 episodes could fit on a single blank disk, whereas a disk can only contain about 3 to 4 epidoes in AVI format. I've come across many anime encoded in rmvb and their qualities are generally very good.
Old 2004-05-30, 14:45   Link #62
suires
たこ焼き名人

I have very stupid questions:

Is Macross zero any better than macross plus? and is Macross zero's setting before or after Macross Plus OVA?

I watched Macross plus few years back. It seems to be a quite enjoyable series. It never occurred to me to watch the other macross series. I am just kind of curious.

RMVB vs AVI
By the way, I think rmvb encoding is not bad in quality at all. If you have seen an episode size around 100 mb, the quality is fairly good. At one of the series I am current watching, there is only raw available here with kind of poor quality but the rmvb with chinese sub is much better in quality and smaller in size. IMO, I am better off with the rmvb rather than avi in this case.
suires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 15:40   Link #63
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I don't like rmvb myself... but I see they have some advantages... for half the size, the quality is not bad, rivaling AVI quality. However if I want to burn some series to keep, I'll get the AVI or mkv ones...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 15:42   Link #64
nojevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xu_henry_ca
Hi nojevo:

I guess the main reason that many anime series are encoded in rmvb is because of their relatively small size, compared to AVI divx rip. If you try to burn them, about 6 to 7 episodes could fit on a single blank disk, whereas a disk can only contain about 3 to 4 epidoes in AVI format. I've come across many anime encoded in rmvb and their qualities are generally very good.
If I ever saw something encoded in realmedia I tend to avoid it. I've hardly ever seen anime encoded in rmvb. You can get decent quality for small files, but the quality leaves you wanting more. I'm rather take quality over how many ep you can store in a cd.
nojevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 15:52   Link #65
dreamless

actually the quality of a fansub depends more on the quality of raw and the skill of the encoder... for TV-rips, a 90M rmvb can generally provide the same quality of a 170M AVI.
Old 2004-05-30, 17:07   Link #66
suires
たこ焼き名人

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
actually the quality of a fansub depends more on the quality of raw and the skill of the encoder... for TV-rips, a 90M rmvb can generally provide the same quality of a 170M AVI.
I agree!

I did a little comparison myself. that is about the right ratio, 1:2. Personally, I prefer a rmvb episode at about to 100mb in size. It's hard to tell the differences between a 100mb rmvb and 175mb avi.

However, for anime with fast moving scenes, rmvb is actually not as good as avi (double file sized).
suires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 17:22   Link #67
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 19:24   Link #68
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-30, 20:20   Link #69
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 20:44   Link #70
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

If you wish to get the raw, get the raw that has 5.1 Ch sound (if you have AC3 filter & 5.1 sound card). Best visual quality as well. Of course the price is size. It is the largest so far 374MB.

rmvb is actually quite viable for portability purposes. As already been stated, low motion video can be encoded very well in rmvb. You don't really need Realplayer to play rmvb. You can go get the realmedia plugin for Windows Media Player and play it with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suires
Macross Zero is the prequel to Macross. Though set before our beloved SDF-1, it boasts better visuals.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 20:50   Link #71
xu_henry_ca
Davidsbündler

Send a message via MSN to xu_henry_ca
Yebyosh:

I just saw the Chinese words under your nickname. I'm just curious, are you Chinese?
Old 2004-05-31, 20:18   Link #72
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-01, 08:17   Link #73
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromageTheDog
Totally off-topic, but the curiosity is getting the better of me:

What the heck is that girl in your animated GIF doing?

(For what it's worth, I'm almost more curious how you're going to answer this... )

- Fromage
Fuu from the samuria shampoo, Shes taking out two round fire crackers to nuke some people

On topic: Do guys think the Bird machine is going to do something to Shin from the nuke blast or is sharah going to use here powers again?
HK anime seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 14:06   Link #74
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suires

Is Macross zero any better than macross plus? and is Macross zero's setting before or after Macross Plus OVA?

I watched Macross plus few years back. It seems to be a quite enjoyable series. It never occurred to me to watch the other macross series. I am just kind of curious.

Macross Zero has some of the best visuals I've seen in a long time, storywise it's hard to tell since there's still one episode left (or two if you haven't seen episode 4 yet). I think Plus had some excellent character developement, as well as a great setting around wich everything took place. Zero has an interesting setting, but we haven't gotten nearly as much character developement yet, this could very well change in episodes 4 and 5.

As stated above, Macross Plus is a prequel that takes place before any other show in the Macross universe. The timeline is:

Macross Zero -- 2008
SDF Macross -- 2009-2010
Do You Remember Love? -- 2010 (seen as both a retelling of the tv series and possibly a movie within the Macross universe that came out in the 2030's)
Flashback 2012 -- 2012 (mostly music videos made up of tv series and movie footage but there are two videos with completely original footage that close off the SDF and DYRL? stories, specifically the story of Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay ends here.)
Macross Plus -- 2040 (there is both an OVA and a Movie Edition. The OVA was released first, but the ME was how it was first written. Both are very much worth seeing.)
Macross 7 -- 2045-2046
The Galaxy is calling me -- 2046 (during the events in M7.)
Dynamite 7 -- 2047
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 15:59   Link #75
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Man...., reading the last few posts in this thread has just reawakened all my excitement for the series. Now waiting for the fansub to come out is going to be an everyday torture. I just can't wait .
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 01:51   Link #76
FromageTheDog
Sazabi

Macross Zero (and it's spiritual (and licensed -- and Bandai's release is as usual top notch) sibling, Yukikaze, for that matter) has utterly stunning visuals, and a very strong storyline to drive it.

<rant>
However, I'm a little worried that as is more often than not the case with this sort of thing, the writers have manged to craft more plot and conceive more intrigue than they can hope to fairly deal with within five episodes. Even the really strong recent showing -- Gilgamesh -- was hard pressed to resolve the plot well in all of 26 episodes (and granted this is a subjective opinion; it wasn't as bad as Eva, which was one long series of questions culminating in a big "Huh?").

Macross Plus certainly had a very clean and clear ending, and managed it in 4 eps, but that didn't have nearly the same level of complexity, plot-wise, as Zero, IMHO. Relationships all seemed rather contrived, intrigue forced and women compliant. Not that I didn't think it wasn't amazing despite all this -- I've dutifully collected the various audio-visual knick-knacks that JVC (OST) and Bandai (DVD) released...
</rant>

In any case, I'm really looking forward to seeing Ep. 5 to see how they finish it; I'm still hoping for the proverbial rabbit in the hat. At the very least, the female love interest is reasonably strong and self-aware...

- Fromage

P.S. -- Sorry for the earlier OT post, xris! I'll PM in the future. All this modern technology...
FromageTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 02:33   Link #77
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromageTheDog
Macross Zero (and it's spiritual (and licensed -- and Bandai's release is as usual top notch) sibling, Yukikaze, for that matter) has utterly stunning visuals, and a very strong storyline to drive it.

<rant>
However, I'm a little worried that as is more often than not the case with this sort of thing, the writers have manged to craft more plot and conceive more intrigue than they can hope to fairly deal with within five episodes. Even the really strong recent showing -- Gilgamesh -- was hard pressed to resolve the plot well in all of 26 episodes (and granted this is a subjective opinion; it wasn't as bad as Eva, which was one long series of questions culminating in a big "Huh?").

Macross Plus certainly had a very clean and clear ending, and managed it in 4 eps, but that didn't have nearly the same level of complexity, plot-wise, as Zero, IMHO. Relationships all seemed rather contrived, intrigue forced and women compliant. Not that I didn't think it wasn't amazing despite all this -- I've dutifully collected the various audio-visual knick-knacks that JVC (OST) and Bandai (DVD) released...
</rant>

In any case, I'm really looking forward to seeing Ep. 5 to see how they finish it; I'm still hoping for the proverbial rabbit in the hat. At the very least, the female love interest is reasonably strong and self-aware...

- Fromage

P.S. -- Sorry for the earlier OT post, xris! I'll PM in the future. All this modern technology...

Though I strongly disagree with some of your examples, I do share your worry over the end of Macross Zero. Only one episode left to tie everything up, while at this point we're still in the dark as to where the story is even heading.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 03:33   Link #78
BOZZY

Just finished watching Episode 4... and I've been wondering... were all 5 episodes animated in 2002 or just over a period of time since 2002 since I notice that they listed 2002 as the date for Episode 4...

I can't wait for whenever "Spring 2004" is to see Episode 5... I want to see how they close off this OVA....

Oh and speaking of the old Macross SDF-1 series... Was the movie and OVA Flashback ever released in North America on DVD? I know the TV series (and it's modified version, Robotech) have both been released here but no clue whether the movie and ova have as well....
BOZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 10:39   Link #79
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZY
I can't wait for whenever "Spring 2004" is to see Episode 5... I want to see how they close off this OVA....

It's should be "Fall 2004"....... nor Spring, since it's now summer already.
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 11:58   Link #80
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
anime ego has SDF macross dvds subtitled only.
Ranko is offline   Reply With Quote