AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-18, 12:40   Link #161
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanticide View Post
and hopefully Nisio will allow them to put some info from Onimonogatari in Kizumonogatari.
I don't think they need Nisio's approval if it's just to get some foreshadowing right. They even invented something for Hanekawa at the time of Tsubasa CAT (though the book turned out very different when it came out).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Also a question to the novel readers... how hard is it to read?
I'm self-taught and I still use electronic format + dictionary program. Kanji-wise I don't know the placement on the JLPT, but it is certainly something for more mature readers. There are very few furigana compared to some other light novels. The complexity of the text is also raised by things like Kansai dialects, slurred speach, slang, Japanese sayings and so on. If you manage to endure it is a very rewarding experience though.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 12:44   Link #162
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I don't think they need Nisio's approval if it's just to get some foreshadowing right. They even invented something for Hanekawa at the time of Tsubasa CAT (though the book turned out very different when it came out).
I'm self-taught and I still use electronic format + dictionary program. Kanji-wise I don't know the placement on the JLPT, but it is certainly something for more mature readers. There are very few furigana compared to some other light novels. The complexity of the text is also raised by things like Kansai dialects, slurred speach, slang, Japanese sayings and so on. If you manage to endure it is a very rewarding experience though.
There's also the occasional obscure reference.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 16:53   Link #163
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Also a question to the novel readers... how hard is it to read? I can manage hentai without a dictionary, 12 kingdoms with minimal use of one, and Tsukihime/Rakkyou with Rikaichan and double checking grammar, so where does the writing style of monogatari novels stand in comparison?
Hm...I haven't actually read either 12 kingdoms or Bakemonogatari fully (I've been stuck on the Macross F light novels), but just from skimming them and reading the odd thing here and there, I think you should be fine with the latter. You might need to use your dictionary (and google) a bit more than for 12 kingdoms, but why not give it a shot and see for yourself?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-12-19 at 01:08.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 17:16   Link #164
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Wow, I had ZERO interest in all the casting drama, but: Eff yeah, Maaya!
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 14:23   Link #165
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Didn't Aya tweet recently about starting work on a big new project? I only know because Haruhi fans brought it up in the KyoAni thread since people assumed she meant Haruhi S3 and Kadokawa had to deny it. What if these Haruhists were thinking too small and she meant the sequel to something that sold twice as much as Haruhi S1....

What about Kizu?
You just had to frame that in the context of how much something sells didn't you. I'm pretty sure that Aya Hirano much like everyone else in the voice acting business works on a contractual basis and not by how much something is likely to sell. Perhaps it wasn't a case of Haruhists thinking too small, but rather thinking based on probability of where she's likely to land her next role based on what she's done in the past as opposed to totally unrelated factors like sales tiers, which are more the concern of producers.

Also as far as I know voice actors still get payed the same regardless of how well a show sells and aren't nearly of the same caliber as A-List Hollywood stars who can negotiate profit sharing into their contract based on them being able to singlehandedly bring an audience into a show with their worldwide popularity and recognition. Based on this, I'm not sure why they would care where their paycheck is coming from as long as they get it.

Factors that seem to actually be directly related to this show trying to rack up the multimedia sales however include having Otaku fan favorites ClariS and Supercell doing the music. That just right there tells me exactly where this franchise is trying to stake it's appeal and that people of my tastes and convictions are still probably not invited to the party. It also continues to put the odds against me ever finding a single thing to get me into this hit franchise ever higher, but based on what I've seen from Bakemonogatari so far and my continuing epic struggle to get past episode 04 of it (I'm still trying as of right now though and have gotten other people that are struggling with it on board to try and see if watching with a party can help) I really don't think it's going to be a big loss if I end up missing out on the predestined hit of the season.

All that said, Maaya Sakamoto getting more work is never a bad thing since she's a great VA and singer, just too bad that the last show I can remember her being in that I actually enjoyed to any significant degree was probably Gunbuster 2 in 2004. Sadly even the games she's chosen to star in recently (FFXIII, 3rd Birthday, Sonic 2006, Kingdom Hearts 2) are ones that I have very few positive things to say about. Shame really to see someone so talented kind of go to waste on mediocre projects.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-12-19 at 14:36.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 16:45   Link #166
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Factors that seem to actually be directly related to this show trying to rack up the multimedia sales however include having Otaku fan favorites ClariS and Supercell doing the music. That just right there tells me exactly where this franchise is trying to stake it's appeal and that people of my tastes and convictions are still probably not invited to the party.
And it has nothing to do with the fact that SHAFT has worked with both of them before? Considering "Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari" is arguably what put supercell on the map in the first place, arguing that this is pandering over a desire to keep continuity for a second season is a real stretch.

Quote:
All that said, Maaya Sakamoto getting more work is never a bad thing since she's a great VA and singer, just too bad that the last show I can remember her being in that I actually enjoyed to any significant degree was probably Gunbuster 2 in 2004. Sadly even the games she's chosen to star in recently (FFXIII, 3rd Birthday, Sonic 2006, Kingdom Hearts 2) are ones that I have very few positive things to say about. Shame really to see someone so talented kind of go to waste on mediocre projects.
Kara no Kyoukai, Rebuild of Evangelion, The Tatami Galaxy... I could go on. In fact, she was in Usagi Drop just last season. You either haven't been looking very hard, or your conception of "mediocre" is in wild disagreement with the general consensus.
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 19:10   Link #167
zato_1one

I think that Westlo was just kidding.
Quote:
Perhaps it wasn't a case of Haruhists thinking too small, but rather thinking based on probability of where she's likely to land her next role based on what she's done in the past as opposed to totally unrelated factors like sales tiers, which are more the concern of producers.

Factors that seem to actually be directly related to this show trying to rack up the multimedia sales however include having Otaku fan favorites ClariS and Supercell doing the music. That just right there tells me exactly where this franchise is trying to stake it's appeal and that people of my tastes and convictions are still probably not invited to the party. It also continues to put the odds against me ever finding a single thing to get me into this hit franchise ever higher, but based on what I've seen from Bakemonogatari so far and my continuing epic struggle to get past episode 04 of it (I'm still trying as of right now though and have gotten other people that are struggling with it on board to try and see if watching with a party can help) I really don't think it's going to be a big loss if I end up missing out on the predestined hit of the season.
It's interesting. You said that Haruhi's fans were guessing based on the past role of Aya Hirano. So, why don't you think the same thing with ClariS + Supercell in Nisemonogatari? It's not the first time Shaft worked with them. And those works happened to be the best selling too. It's not surprising at all to see them work with Shaft again. In fact, Shaft love to hire people who used to work with them before. I don't know about your taste. But if you think that this series only appeals to mindless otaku then you are absolutely wrong.
Old 2011-12-20, 06:51   Link #168
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

[mod edit: removed unnecessary provocation]

Anyway, knowing monogatari series will have another 3 more novels to come in 2012, I would like Shaft to just continue animate all of them. u.u~

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-12-20 at 12:30.
applejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 11:24   Link #169
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Dont feed the trolls guys...

Someone doesnt enjoy Bakemonogatari, well, it is possible.
Many of my friends didnt enjoy Bakemonogatari as they fallen asleep on 2nd - 3rd episode.
Yet, on another side of the coin, many do enjoy Bakemonogatari...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 20:45   Link #170
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Btw, to anyone that knew...
I read in Yaraon that next year Nisio Isin will publish the last 3 books for Monogatari series.
I thought that Koimonogatari is the conclusion. Is it not?? O.o

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-12-20 at 23:29. Reason: Removed off-topic portion
Old 2011-12-20, 20:49   Link #171
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Btw, to anyone that knew...
I read in Yaraon that next year Nisio Isin will publish the last 3 books for Monogatari series.
I thought that Koimonogatari is the conclusion. Is it not?? O.o
It has been discussed in the light novel thread.
Old 2011-12-20, 20:53   Link #172
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
It has been discussed in the light novel thread.
Does it contains spoiler?

Awww, i dont wanna venture into the spoiler there... >.<
Old 2011-12-20, 20:57   Link #173
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Does it contains spoiler?

Awww, i dont wanna venture into the spoiler there... >.<
Yes, it has the spoiler. But if you only want to know if it's true or not then yes. It's true. Nisio will release three more books as final season of Monogatari series. Koimonogatari is not the final light novel of the series.
Old 2011-12-20, 21:14   Link #174
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

On bringing the topic back to Nise, I was really surprised to see the design for Kaiki. I thought of him as 50% Gambit and 50% Meme, but I guessed wrong; he has almost 100% Gambit.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-12-20 at 23:30. Reason: Removed off-topic portion
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 21:26   Link #175
Candyshark

Personally consider Maaya being poor choice to voice Shinobu. She can produce different colors of deadpan doesn't really posses qualities i'd like to hear in that char voice.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 22:55   Link #176
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
On bringing the topic back to Nise, I was really surprised to see the design for Kaiki. I thought of him as 50% Gambit and 50% Meme, but I guessed wrong; he has almost 100% Gambit.
Funny, now I see Gambit in him too. ^^;
Old 2011-12-20, 23:40   Link #177
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Just a reminder: Let's stay on topic and as pointed out earlier, just ignore the trolls (report the posts and let the moderation team handle it).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 05:54   Link #178
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

what why? that hair style is definitely not gambit's. . .it's wolverine's
Old 2011-12-22, 08:09   Link #179
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Cover of one magazine featuring the two lovely sister...
Old 2011-12-22, 08:13   Link #180
HasuMasu
*Artist

Karen ftw, the mighty toothbrush shall reign.