AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-03-20, 13:51   Link #1
daliinn

Food / recipe discussion

Hey, i am looking for a new mushroom recipe, preferably something asian. Right now have just been sauteing the mushrooms, then adding soy sauce or bean sauce with lime. Anyone know a better recipe or an improvement?
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 14:56   Link #2
Shift_

I'm chinese, but I don't eat mushrooms plain by them selves :/

I don't even know any dishes like that (not off the top of my head however) we usually have them with other veggies, fish, meat etc...

What kind of mushrooms are these btw? that might help, diffrent kind of mushrooms use diffrent things...

But sauteing with soy sause, and then bean sause...wierd...

not too sure what kind of cooking style you're used too...but that doesn't sound too asian too me (but I don't do alot of cooking so )
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 15:01   Link #3
wnkryo
HainShodan

You cand find a good (japanese or atleast I think it's japanese) recipe for a mushroom dish here.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 15:13   Link #4
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Send a message via AIM to Bun-kun
Hmm I was just thinking of opening my own recipe thread but this the perfect time to share my knowledge. Being an Executive Chef I think I can give you a good recipe.

Stir Fry Mushroom
1/4 cup shitake
1/4 cup oyster mushroon
1/4 cup of enochi mushroom
2 Tb(tablespoon) ginger (julliene)
1/2 of an onion (diced)
1/4 vegetable or chicken stock
2 Tb of soysauce
2 Tb of pineapple juice
1 Tb garlic
2 sprigs of scallions
2 Tb of slurry (mixture of 1/2 cornstarch and 1/2 water)

Heat pan up, wait till hot.
add a nice coating of olive oil (or any oil you have handy, vegetable works fine)
Toss in Mushrooms, ginger, onions, and garlic, wait till they brown a little bit.
Then add in stock, pineaple juice, and soysauce, let it simmer for 15 second, then add the slurry (make sure your slurry is mixed well or else it will create little lumps in your sauce). Salt and pepper to taste (make sure you add salt and pepper little a time and taste the sauce as you go, so you can get just the right taste).
and finally topped it off in with dice scallions.
Well hope that helps anymore recipe anyone need I will try to help out.
Bun-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 15:15   Link #5
daliinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
But sauteing with soy sause, and then bean sause...wierd...
hah, no not combined, sometime i use soysauce and sometimes i use a bean sauce. As for the mushrooms i usually use shitoki or regular white mushrooms.
Old 2004-03-20, 15:20   Link #6
daliinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-kun
2 Tb of pineapple juice
wow pineapple juice? i would have never thought it. Sounds delicious
Old 2004-03-20, 15:21   Link #7
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliinn
wow pineapple juice? i would have never thought it. Sounds delicious
it adds that natural sweetness that you get from chinese stir fry.
Old 2004-03-20, 15:24   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

OH geez. You would ask for something like this when all my best culinary books are buried under a ton of garbage in my storage unit.

I've got some stuff that'd blow your socks off. But I am NOT going to dig them out in 40 degree weather with rain. Ask me again in June when we clean out the storage unit.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 20:48   Link #9
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I love cooking, but I usually cook my mushroom the european way, that is with cream, garlic and parsey, delicoious with a breast of chicken or some pasta, and so easy to make
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 20:52   Link #10
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

*Off Topic*
Bun-kun what's it like being a chef? I'm planning on majoring in Culinary Arts (Baking and Pasteries) since I really enjoy cooking and eating. What do you usually do at your job besides cooking?
Old 2004-03-20, 21:20   Link #11
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
*Off Topic*
Bun-kun what's it like being a chef? I'm planning on majoring in Culinary Arts (Baking and Pasteries) since I really enjoy cooking and eating. What do you usually do at your job besides cooking?
Well I an executive chef so I hardly do any cooking, I have ppl do it for me ;p
But yeah the hospitality industry can be very rewarding and also very stressful at the same time. I don't like baking too much although I can do it if I really have to. Too much exact measurements for me. But if you enjoy it go for the rewarding aspect outweighs the stress by alot. for my job, I do ordering, menu planning, banquet planning, scheleduling shifts, etc, etc. It's a good job because I can get all those things done in a short time, and then I can view the forum all I want, got my own office and everything. So once you get into my possition it's all butters from there. Hope you succeed in everything you do
oh good choice with baking and pasteries every place i know needs either or, so it a good career to be in.
Old 2004-03-20, 22:38   Link #12
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Well I an executive chef so I hardly do any cooking, I have ppl do it for me ;p
But yeah the hospitality industry can be very rewarding and also very stressful at the same time. I don't like baking too much although I can do it if I really have to. Too much exact measurements for me. But if you enjoy it go for the rewarding aspect outweighs the stress by alot. for my job, I do ordering, menu planning, banquet planning, scheleduling shifts, etc, etc. It's a good job because I can get all those things done in a short time, and then I can view the forum all I want, got my own office and everything. So once you get into my possition it's all butters from there. Hope you succeed in everything you do
oh good choice with baking and pasteries every place i know needs either or, so it a good career to be in.
Weird avatar for an executive chef
Old 2004-03-21, 00:49   Link #13
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Question

Quote:
Well hope that helps anymore recipe anyone need I will try to help out.
Hi Bun-kun, Would you happen to have a recipe for Japanese Rice Balls. I am curious to try them but cannot find a recipe. If you have one or know of one I would appreciate it.
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 02:08   Link #14
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOfAnime
Hi Bun-kun, Would you happen to have a recipe for Japanese Rice Balls. I am curious to try them but cannot find a recipe. If you have one or know of one I would appreciate it.
Rice Ball heh, umm it's plain as that, I think that's what your looking for.

first cook the rice
1. cooking rice
you want 2 cups of rice and 2 1/2 cups of water
rinse the rice out very thoroughly
put in pan and let it boil, once it boil you want to turn the heat down to low,
cover the pan 98%, to let the steam out. it should be ready in 20 min but
make sure the water are all evaporated. Pad it and toss it around with a flat
spatula. let it sit for another 10 min

2. Making ball
yes it simple as it seems just place the rice in a bowl, put filling in the middle
(fish, pork, chicken, vegetable, herb, what ever your heart desires) and ball
it up with you hands. then you can cover it with some sesame seeds (I like
toasted) or any kind of roe
well I hope that helps, that is how I make mine at least and it comes out fine for me.
Old 2004-03-21, 04:11   Link #15
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Thumbs up

Bun-kun

Thanks I will definitely give it a go.................I appreciate the help.
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 10:20   Link #16
HopelessLover

I love cooking! I'm trying to figure out how to cook some good chicken vegitable soup but I have no idea where to begin >.<
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 17:52   Link #17
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
I love cooking! I'm trying to figure out how to cook some good chicken vegitable soup but I have no idea where to begin >.<
hmm one of my favorite things to make

1 whole chicken
2 cup of mirepoix( equal part carrots, onions, and celery)
2 table spoon of chicken base or bouillons
1/2 cup of champagne mushrooms
1/2 cup of squash and zucchini mixture
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 sprig of thyme
1/2 sprig of rosemary (becareful with the rosemary because it can be over powering)

First you want to make the stock, so heat up a nice deep pot, and give a little coating of oil (I prefere olive) then add your 1 of cup mire poix and herbs, let it simmer until the onions becomes translucent. then all the whole chicken (you can chop it up so it can fit in the pan, add water to cover it all, and bring to boil. once it boils reduce the heat so it just simmering and not boiling, let it simmer for 2-3 hr (add water to it if you see too much evaporation, and don't cover because you won't get a constant heat and your broth will become very cloudy). okay take as much chicken out of the broth and let it cool (so you can pull it later), then drain the broth so you only have the broth and none of the vegetable and herbs in it. Once your chicken is cooled, go ahead and pull as much meat as possible, then set it aside

Now in another pot saute all the vegetable, garlic, mirepoix (you can have anything you like, I suggested a couple but you can put whatever vegetable pleases you). once again wait for the onions to be tranlucent then add all of the broth and chicken and chicken base or bouillons, bring to boil and let simmer for 1 more hr. you can thicken up the soup by adding a little be of noodles(i like to use egg noodles). Salt and pepper to taste (put a little at a time and taste it so you can get the exact taste you like).

this may take a long time to do, but you can freeze the soup in little containers and have soup for the week. I use to do this alot when I was in college it saved me alot of money and I always have something to eat. those are the basic step in making the soup, if you're bold you can experiment with different ingredients and see what you can come up with, after all that's what being a chef is all about.
Hope you have fun making it.
Old 2004-03-21, 18:20   Link #18
wnkryo
HainShodan

What are champagne mushrooms and where can you get them?
Old 2004-03-21, 18:42   Link #19
Bun-kun
Liberal Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
What are champagne mushrooms and where can you get them?
they are just regular mushrooms but small ones (they have lots more taste to them than the bigger variety).
Old 2004-03-21, 19:23   Link #20
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliinn
Hey, i am looking for a new mushroom recipe, preferably something asian. Right now have just been sauteing the mushrooms, then adding soy sauce or bean sauce with lime. Anyone know a better recipe or an improvement?
err... diverting from the original topic of mushrooms and moving on to a tangent...

do any of you shabu-shabu? and if you do, I want to hear what you put in the pot, and sauce recipies.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking