AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-25, 17:06   Link #241
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
If they actually want money on these, MFI is actually quite capable of selling their product in R1 format. Throw an English sub track, change their business model a bit and start selling; they don't even need retail outlets, they can work through any number of internet retailers that specialize in Anime.
Who will buy it? This show is great fun, and I enjoyed it a lot -- even bought all the R2 DVDs, myself. If the North American distributors aren't taking a chance at it, even those now doing sub-only releases for niche shows, why is it somehow more logical or reasonable for Media Factory Japan to make the jump themselves? So they could sell it here, but is it worth their while? Likewise with all their other niche titles. Even if you say "just slap on some subs", it isn't that simple. It still needs to be timed, translated, re-mastered, the menus re-done, packaging re-done, and distributed. All those people eat up some of the profit margin. And if all the Bandai Visual outrage (now slightly subdued) is anything to go on, people aren't willing to pay R2 niche prices to get R2 niche service in R1. So where does that leave us? Right back where we started: this show doesn't seem to be popular enough to warrant any sort of R1 release. That's not by any means a slam on the show, it's simply a reflection of the current market.

In the end, it isn't MediaFactory's job to care about the well-being of the American pirates who watch their shows illegally, even though some of them might buy something. And I should also point out that it's not as if they're actively "quashing any discussion of access" to their products; that whole thing was the result of some really stupid fansubbers releasing a sub of an OVA before its Japanese shipping date. However, the community made their bed, and now are lying in it. If the market really does devolve into "little more than a collection of SJ/Cartoon Network pap", MediaFactory would have proven itself at least somewhat wise to stay away.

MediaFactory's niche shows won't save the industry. Only the fans can do that.

(Anyway, sorry for taking things off-topic... now back to your regularly-scheduled program. But if anyone would like to discuss this further, we can take this to a different thread.)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 21:38   Link #242
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You know, whatever else you might say about Chokotto Sister it's hard not to like it. It just so unpretentiously is what it is that you can't help but feel affection for the characters, and it manages to straddle that line between ecchi and innocence very effectively. Sort of reminds of an ecchier, much less deep Mahoraba.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 01:41   Link #243
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's not a bad comparison ... though the side characters aren't nearly as quirky.

I don't know how much I'd *recommend* the show.. but I certainly found it pleasant and innocent.
Old 2008-03-30, 23:43   Link #244
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, our long Chokotto Sister odyssey finally comes to and end. Thanks for the fine subbing work, it was much appreciated...

Spoiler:
Old 2008-03-31, 03:14   Link #245
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ditto on your comment about Kakeru-kun.

Many many thanks to those unnamed people without whom many of us simply would have no opportunity to ever see these works.
Old 2008-03-31, 12:54   Link #246
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ditto that.

BTW - how did Kakeru get all those pics of Choco, anyway?
Old 2008-03-31, 20:51   Link #247
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ditto that.

BTW - how did Kakeru get all those pics of Choco, anyway?
ever heard of "stalking"?. well i dont know, Kakeru is all over choco, he'll do anything to get them right? glad that this show is over ^^, but at a wrong time lol, never knew the ending is the x'mas theme, but is an awesome show, probably will watch it again during x'mas..

A thanks to the "you know who" people who worked on this series, without you guys, we will never had a chance to see the ending.
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 23:41   Link #248
billborden

It was a long, fun ride; thanks for all your time and effort
billborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 05:04   Link #249
narananami

Thank you very much
I love chocotto sister ^^
narananami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 20:34   Link #250
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
Wink

This quickly became one of my favorite shows-I'm rewatching it now being as the xmas holiday season starts tomorrow. Choco-bananas, huh? You know what with Sentai/Section 23 releasing all these subbed only things they might possible pick this up?

Last edited by zrdb; 2009-12-27 at 12:39.
zrdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 20:54   Link #251
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Single-handedly boosted sales of choco-bananas by 200%.
Old 2010-09-19, 08:56   Link #252
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

so i'm at episode 20. And i have some unanswered questions. How old is chocotto.
Doesn't she need to go to school?
Old 2010-09-19, 11:51   Link #253
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast_within View Post
so i'm at episode 20. And i have some unanswered questions. How old is chocotto.
Doesn't she need to go to school?
I assume she's about 14 or so. As for the school question, well - I think that's one of those deals where we're just not supposed to ask...
Old 2010-09-19, 15:38   Link #254
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
She's definitely of school age. However, being delivered in that state by Santa, she doesn't exist in any official records. So if no one registers her, I guess she's free to just clean house and Nekonyan dance all day.

She would probably have trouble getting any social benefits like healthcare or unemployment insurance.

By the way, episodes 20 and 23 just blew me away with the tragedy and sense of loss, out of the blue. Tears were shed. Fasten your seatbelt!
Old 2010-09-19, 17:15   Link #255
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

So is the manga any different than the anime?

Does kawagoe-san end up in any echi situations with one of the many other girls? Do we get more background story of the secret idol / happy drunk girl?
I'm surprised she didn't throw herself naked once at kawagoe-san. Than you still have kanrinrin and beito-sempai.

Does ojousama end up with that boy? Somehow i only see choco loving her brother.
Old 2010-09-19, 19:15   Link #256
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
No change. The manga ends at exactly the same place as the anime.

The melancholy of that kind of relationship is the irrevocable knowledge that inevitably your sweet baby will leave you for some punk. *sob*
Old 2011-01-19, 06:30   Link #257
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

One getting started to watch this show better know what he’s in for. To its core, Chocotto Sister is about the simple daily lives of the residents of an apartment building, mostly focusing on that of the relationship between two siblings. The thing is, the show throws in lots of ecchi and in many parts oversexualizes the naked body of little girls. I mean, seriously, the story begins with the lead boy being given a little sister as a gift, half naked and in a sack. The innocent mind will see that as a nice Christmas present but the dirty as a girl kidnapped and sold to prostitution. And that is the main catch that can make you like or hate this show. Depending on how you get to bite the premise will either find it as a comical slice-of-life with lots of nude or a sleazy lolicon, dressed as comedy.

Apart from that very distinctive feature, the actual story of the anime is very simple and doesn’t really progress towards anything specific. It is just random events in the lives of the two siblings and their interactions with the other residents and some other passingbyers. It also ends in a way that is supposed to excuse not to expect anything other than that, so I can’t give more than the base score here, as the whole deal is way too simple.

I wrote simple and not generic because all those erotic vibes make it hard to see it as such. Although almost all events are commonplace in most ecchi comedies (or even hentais) the weird mix of comedy with erotism and coming-of life moments create a weird blend that make it somewhat hard to be clear up in your mind on what it is really about. One viewer can focus on this aspect, some other can focus on that aspect. I for once got initially interested on the erotic part, which was really bold and bordering hentai or lolicons at many points (I like that shit). But after 10 episodes the focus shifts to the sibling relation and how the older brother is teaching his sister of various important things in life, while he is constantly surrounded by possible romantic or sexual interests. It was a somewhat enjoyable erotic comedy at this point with some staple life messages here. Ten episodes after that, the feeling went away as well and now I was just curious to see how it will all end. And well, it ended calmly and even tried to excuse this mess in a way to not expect anything else. So for me the Enjoyment is gradually dropping as the episodes go by since the lack of development story-wise was getting more and more tiresome. I still give it a good mark, for making a rather uniform blend of erotism and slice of life, without ever sticking too much on one and neglecting the other.

The characters are not special in any way. They are all quite stereotypical figures you can find in most ecchi comedies or even hentais. It’s just that the story made sure to focus a lot on their mentality, as simple as that was, as means to bring out the best of what they could offer. So although their personalities are nothing much, their interactions and mood swings seem logical and even excused. Especially Chocotto; she begins as a pedophile’s wet dream, pure, ignorant to the world, and willing to do anything to please her big brother. Steadily she becomes a cute little thing to cherish and support for all her efforts. All the rest are rather meh to care about.

Visually the show is poor. Simple character figures and large outlines and not much attention to detailed coloring, shading, or smooth animation. Hands in many parts feel bulky as well. Voice acting and soundtrack are ok for this sort of series. The opening and ending videos are practically the only well made parts in the entire show and liking them or not is all up to preference. The nekonyan dance for example is hard to tell if it’s cute, sexy, plain stupid or all that at the same time.

In all, it is a good series to spend your free time if:
1) you are not offended by the fact it oversexualizes little girls (if you are con to the idea)
2) you are not expecting a lolicon (if you are pro to the idea)
3) you expect a good story with a great ending (there isn’t much here)

Beyond all that, it is not very memorable as a series and chances of rewatching it are slim. Being stuck as a combo of average genres does not make it better that pure and far better made erotic comedies, hentais, lolicons or slices of life.

Animation: 6
Sound: 6
Story: 5
Characters: 7
Value: 3
Enjoyment: 5
Overall: 5/10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-08, 18:29   Link #258
headsup

Chocotto Sister has become an annual xmas time anime series for me-this is the 6th year I've watched it. It has a sweet charm to it despite a bit of ecchiness. The characters, especially Chocco are well done. I'd give it an 8 out of 10-highly recommended.
headsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-09, 10:48   Link #259
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I watches this one too, in the manga MC ended with landlady btw.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, ecchi, nomad, romance, seinen, slice of life