AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-08, 12:47   Link #1
Bimrin

Looking for Anime with Emotional Struggle (Like Claymore)

So I was a huge fan of Claymore and to a lesser extend Heroic Age. I love the epic nature of these series and how you truly get lost in not the action or fighting but the emotional story behind the characters.

With Claymore I really like how while they all get viewed as monsters to such an extent they start believing that themselves that you see the human nature and find them (especially Clare and Theresa) expanding that part of them. I am looking for Anime that has that same feel, the emotional concept of overcoming society.

It's hard to describe what I am really looking for all I know is that Claymore really resonated with me and it wasn't due to the violence and action but with the nature of the characters themselves.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2011-09-08, 13:38   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

If you like emotional story and epicness, then you can't go wrong with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster - Aim for the Top! (and its sequel too) They're mecha anime with great action (especially the former) and emotional story. The former is a relatively new anime and the latter is an old anime (just to have a variation). Oh, yeah, don't forget to check out the Macross series and Gundam series too. There's a LOT other titles to recommend, but I'll leave the honor to other posters.

Obelisk, checking out ^_^.
Old 2011-09-08, 15:30   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Seirei no Moribito is a good bet, as is Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms"). In the sci-fi realm Noein and Dennou Coil might be good fits, too. These are all adventures with good characters. Kemono no Sou-ja Erin is another possibility, but with a young heroine.
Old 2011-09-08, 22:38   Link #4
myopius

The #1 most comparable anime here is probably Berserk. Berserk is a lot like Claymore--dark, a medieval setting with monsters/fantastic elements, extremely epic, and completely hooked into the emotional struggles of the characters. It's a real classic. The anime is basically a flashback arc, the manga continues it and is still being serialized.

Another great one is Blue Gender. You could compare the two main characters to Clare and Raki, and it gets really epic. It's also complete. Watch a couple of episodes and you'll see quickly how it resembles Claymore.

Quote:
With Claymore I really like how while they all get viewed as monsters to such an extent they start believing that themselves that you see the human nature and find them
Both of these anime have exactly this theme. Well, Blue Gender might be more about "lost humanity" than "inhumanity", but it feels similar.
Old 2011-09-09, 17:18   Link #5
Bimrin

Thanks for all the posts. It looks like I have some stuff to work through but please keep the recommendations coming (I am actually reading through the Manga now for Claymore) but need some good new Anime for when I finish Chobits which I am kinda meh on.
Old 2011-09-11, 18:36   Link #6
ArrowSmith

If you want anime with a real emotional struggle that most people can relate to - "Welcome to the N.H.K". But I'd avoid it if you are in a serious depression.
Closed Thread

Tags
claymore