Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2016-03-05, 08:19   Link #481
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Look whose ready for John Wick 2?

Old 2016-03-06, 21:28   Link #482
Psyco Diver

This is making it rounds, thought it was pretty cool but swinging that AR behind his back like that and not clearing his pistol before holstering it would have gotten him DQed from a real 3 gun competition.
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-07, 23:40   Link #483
YF19EX

Our local 3 gun matches were very serious about that muzzle sweep. But given the private nature of the range and the training, and its big boy rules, I could let that pass. Heck I took a Magpul class with Travis Haley and sometimes during movement drills, I was forward of my partner shooting next to me or visa versa. Just a bit, but definitely ahead of his barrel.

The weapon movements are not indicative of a newbie that's for sure. He has done this for a while. That shotgun reload at .23 was smoother than anything I have done and making sure his hand was out of the way after he struck the dummy, is something that requires conscious effort lest one shoots oneself in the hand.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-08, 00:36   Link #484
Psyco Diver

Private range helps for sure, its just I've had it beaten into my head so much it urkes me when I see it lol

Oh no doubt that was a smooth reload, actually I never seen that kind of shell holder before, most people I know including myself will just hold the extra shell or two, but that looks a lot smoother to operate
Old 2016-03-08, 00:45   Link #485
YF19EX

Ive seen them on 3 gun shotgun setups. Looks like a quick choice for slug select. Im an over the top loader when using any shotgun. Going under is probably faster especially if having to run the pump or hit the loading button found on most semi autos. It positions your support hand to transition back to the forend. But for my body mechanics its awkward.
Old 2016-03-08, 17:32   Link #486
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

The U.S. gun industry is trying to shake off the Hollywood hitman image of the gun silencer and rebrand it as a hearing-protection device in a campaign to roll back regulations that date to the 1930s.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0WA19E
Old 2016-03-16, 06:29   Link #487
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well hearing protection is important.
Old 2016-03-16, 10:29   Link #488
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The U.S. gun industry is trying to shake off the Hollywood hitman image of the gun silencer and rebrand it as a hearing-protection device in a campaign to roll back regulations that date to the 1930s.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0WA19E
Say whaaaaaa~t?

Honestly? That's the out-of-this-world explanation they're going with to try and justify selling contraptions that are first and foremost used to make weapon discharges harder to detect and locate? (yes, they're sometimes called "sound moderators" or "sound suppressors" because someone in the armed forces decided "silencer" wasn't technical or obnoxious-sounding enough, but that nomenclature is misleading and doesn't reflect the actual purpose of such equipment)

It's merely my opinion, but honestly suppressors have no business being in the hands of civilians, who mostly try them out not because they help their aiming/handling when plinking in their backyard or at the range, improve overall gun safety or even reduce risks of damage to their eardrums, but because to them it's a goddamn curiosity (let's face it: most joes out there only want to know whether a suppressed gun sounds the same as in a James Bond movie) they have to try out at least once in their lifetime. I can't, for the love of all that is holy, see a reason to legalize suppressors; most recreational shooters have no real use for it, unless they don't want to be found out when they're shooting (and at what, too).
Old 2016-03-16, 22:14   Link #489
Juke16

Actually a great many people ARE buying them to protect their hearing, in fact in many countries in Europe such as the UK and even as far as New Zealand, suppressors/silencers are easily available and do not require special licencing or paperwork like they do in the States. Firearms owners are also encouraged to buy suppressors in New Zealand and England I believe to cut down on noise.

Having a suppressor is no more harmful than a car having a muffler. It's not an out of this world justification and it's foolish to ban something just because someone doesn't need it, otherwise we should ban the use of alcohol and tobacco for recreational use since they arguably cause more death than firearms each year.
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-16, 22:27   Link #490
Psyco Diver

In my limited silencers don't make guns that much quieter, a guy at the range a while back had one on his 1911 and I would rate it bit louder than my .22lr rifle, bearable to uncovered ears but I would still use hearing protection.

Its not a terrible idea with since people keep complaining about the noise level of outdoor ranges (honestly what kind of moron buys a house next to a gun range, race track, airport, ext that was there long before them and is surprised by the noise that it produces)
Old 2016-03-17, 03:04   Link #491
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've used a suppressor on a firearm in Arizona. it just make it a little quieter, and blew back gas towards my face, which was slightly annoying. It was better on my ears firing the thing, but that was about it.
Old 2016-03-17, 21:44   Link #492
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So why won't the gun industry debunk the myth that silencers/suppressors make gunshots almost silent which TV and movie continue to propagate?
Old 2016-03-18, 12:54   Link #493
YF19EX

Well there are allot of things us firearms owners do to debunk myths all day long. Some times it works, most of the time, it can't overcome what has been has is learned from tv and movies. Heck misconceptions even permeate around some gun owners themselves. Aside from that, I think things like Supressors and SBR's should fall from the NFA. But I don't want to take the discussion into the more political nature, since this has gotten this thread capped before.

So I might as well share some current interests in the coming year.

Playing the Division got's me looking into Kriss Vectors. I have fired them, and the gen 1 reliability was so-so. A fellow shooter had to have his go back to the factory twice before the reliability issues were sorted out. It originally was supposed to be a sub machine gun. Civilian market dictates that it be converted to a carbine with a long ass barrel. Also because it was supposed to be a sub gun, its unique recoil system although effective is lost when only using it in semi auto mode. But now they have the Gen II Enhanced which brings better reliability, lower price and a barrel shroud that reminds me of an Osprey Suppressor. Add an Eotech and you have the quintessential space gun of the 21st century. And I have always had a thing for space guns...

And and older review by FPS Russia, but pretty well shows the Kriss in its unobtanium unrestricted form.

Old 2016-03-19, 00:17   Link #494
Psyco Diver

Neat gun for sure, Hickok45 did a video a while back on it also. Personally I still want a SKS, original Russian or Chinese one preferred, I always put off buying one then the prices skyrocketed but are finally coming back down again. I think after that I want a Mosin Nagant since their over priced right now. In the mean time I'm considering building a AR, never built one before and I think it would be fun
Old 2016-03-19, 01:08   Link #495
YF19EX

The SKS is a nice handy little carbine for sure. I have a Chinese one. But its indicative of that rough Chinese quality of tooling. Reminded me of a lot of my old Grandfathers cookware when I was growing up. The Russian ones are very nice but command a price tag.

As for building an AR. Well I have been doing that for quite a few years now, and believe me it is a learning experience. The thing I have learned, is it us not just good enough to put together good components for reliability and accuracy. Its is how those components blend together. Gas systems, buffer weights, types, spring rates, magazines, ammo types etc play a massive roll in if your system is going to be reliable and usable under all conditions, a race gun or a jam o matic.

I once cobbled together an AR with what I though would be excellent components. However I chose a bad place to try it, in the form of Travis Haley's 3 day Magpul course. Good lord it jammed like crazy. I made the mistake of using a Bravo Mid Length Gas system coupled to a brand new Bravo heavy auto bolt carrier (replaced a lighter weight Rock River Semi auto carrier the day before the class) and a heavy buffer. I was also using good quality Fiocchi 223 ammo for the class. But that was the issue. The heavy full auto carrier, coupled to a heavy buffer and the weaker 223 ammo (vs full power 556 caused my gun to short stroke and double feed like crazy. I did not get some semblance of reliability back till the third day of the class when I switched back to my old lighter semi auto carrier that allowed cycling of the action with lower power ammo.

Building an AR is a great hobby, and you can make the rifle to what ever suits your fancy, but take time to study all the components you want to use and how they may or may not work with each other. Mistakes cost time and expense if you have to buy another component to get it to work with the others.
Old 2016-03-27, 23:09   Link #496
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i can finally join in on this thread. i've applied for my ccw in possibly the hardest county to get one in NY (not counting NYC)... yay westchester. any who, my sig p320c is sitting at my local store waiting for my permit to get approved, which i'm hoping will be around the end of april/early may.

i think suppressors should definitely be available to the civilian shooter. it'll go a long way to promote hearing safety. from everything i've read and watched online, shooting subsonic ammo through a good suppressor is quieter than the noise the bullet makes on impact.

also, i'm insanely jealous that you took a travis haley course..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-28, 22:52   Link #497
AnimeFan188

New Experimental Army Rifle Uses "Telescoped"
Ammunition:

"Defense contractor Textron just unveiled a new rifle at the Modern
Day Marine conference. Designed to use so-called "telescoped"
ammunition, the new rifle promises a harder-hitting, lighter bullet for
America's ground troops to fire. Whether the U.S. military is ready to
embrace all the change a new rifle and ammunition would bring
remains to be seen.

Traditional bullet cartridges have a bullet seated roughly halfway inside
a brass shell casing, with gunpowder inside the casing. By contrast,
the new rifle uses a 6.5-millimeter polymer-cased telescoped bullet.
Telescoped rounds feature a bullet completely encased in a polymer
shell, like a shotgun, with gunpowder surrounding the bullet in the
shell."

See:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...ed-ammunition/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-29, 10:08   Link #498
Psyco Diver

Well that's going to be difficult to reload lol
Old 2016-09-29, 11:48   Link #499
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

You've got to savor the irony, too: the JSSAP and LSAT programs had for main objective to reduce ammo weight (possibly allowing soldiers to carry more of them), but this new CT carbine has a dry weight equal to that of a fully loaded M4A1 (and Textron's demonstrator is actually the second prototype: the first one weighed 9.7lbs and had not yet undergone "optimization"). To top it off, the 6.5mm magazine only holds 20 rounds, whereas the 5.56mm one holds 30. Granted, the knockout power of the 6.5mm round is much greater than that of the current-issue 62-grain 5.56mm (up to three times the energy), which thereby reduces the potential number of rounds to fire downrange to fully "down" a target, but at the same time, you can never have too much ammo on the battlefield and I'm not sure whether the number of mags an infantryman usually carries with him will increase as a result. Ammo weight might have been reduced, but not the total volume.

So all in all, they've managed to reduce overall ammo weight to allow soldiers to pack more of these rounds, but they made a heavier weapon with less round capacity. They should concentrate on the LSAT LMG instead, that's where the real gains will be seen.
Old 2016-09-29, 22:43   Link #500
Psyco Diver

I hate the term knock down power because it doesn't stopped determined foes, I know a couple guys that were over in Iraq and what not, one time a guy tried running their check point and they pumped the car with .50 caliber rounds, the driver took 2 to the upper body and was still alive when they approached, we was still trying to drive the car when they got to him. Plenty of real life stories like that in this world, the only knock down power is hitting the central nervous system which can be down with a .17hmr or .50bmg.

Point is there is nothing wrong with the current AR platform, it is very modular and with it being around so long all the problems have been sorted. I am interested in polymer ammo right now, sure it can't be reloaded but the casings are suppose to be allot cheaper than brass and is lighter than brass, steel, and aluminum. Making it bio-degradable would be a big plus for me so I don't have to clean up after myself anymore

Tags
firearms, guns