Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-11-19, 17:13   Link #81
Neko no Makai
f0rum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Ice
There are two doors, one for hell, one for heaven.
There are two guards, one always lie, the other always tell the truth.
You don't know which guard is guarding which door.

You want to go to heaven (or hell if you want)

Now, how would you know which door is for heaven. You're only allowed to ask ONE question to either of the two guards.

If this is not clear, ask me.
If you were a liar, which way would be heaven. Both would point to hell

Here are some riddles though. Be aware, they are all folk riddles, so they might not make sense. If u knew the answer they would though.

In the garden's a castle with hundreds within,
Yet though stripped to my shirt I would never fit in.

I threw it up as white as snow,
Like gold on a flag it fell below.

Who makes it, has no need of it.
Who buys it, has no use for it.
Who uses it can neither see nor feel it.

If a man carried my burden
He would break his back.
I am not rich,
But leave silver in my track.

Last edited by Neko no Makai; 2003-11-19 at 17:53.
Neko no Makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 17:58   Link #82
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
a=b

Multiply both members for "a" >

= a^2=ab

Add "(a^2) - 2ab" to both members >

= (a^2) + (a^2) - 2ab=(ab) + (a^2) - 2ab

Simplify in >

= 2[(a^2) - ab] = (a^2) - ab

Simplify in >

= 2=1

Why?
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 18:02   Link #83
Moon The Cat
Hoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
a=b

Multiply both members for "a" >

= a^2=ab

Add "(a^2) - 2ab" to both members >

= (a^2) + (a^2) - 2ab=(ab) + (a^2) - 2ab

Simplify in >

= 2[(a^2) - ab] = (a^2) - ab

Simplify in >

= 2=1

Why?
O_o

I have enough of that in school..
Moon The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 18:06   Link #84
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon The Cat
O_o

I have enough of that in school..
I HIGHLY doublt you are doing or will do that at school, since it was on a test for a Math prize (Wolfskehl if you care) and a lot of people failed on that (<-- newbies ^^.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 20:44   Link #85
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Lightbulb

Meh, that one is quite easy Flash_Squirre. It is an example given in the foundation logic class I did at uni (covered it at A Level too actually).

The error is when you try to simplify "2[(a^2) - ab] = (a^2) - ab"; because a=b ... a-b=0 and because dividing by 0 is undefined you can't do it... It would work out something like this...

1> a = b (Given)
2> x = (a^2) - (a * b) (Assumption)
3> x = (a * a) - (a * b) = a (a - b) (From 2 and Factoring)
4> 2[(a^2) - ab] = (a^2) - ab (Given)
5> 2 * x = x (From 3 and 4)
6> a - b = 0 (From 1 and Subtraction)
7> x = a (a - b) = a * 0 = 0 (From 3 and 6)
8> 2 * 0 = 0 (From 5 and 7)

Q.E.D
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 20:52   Link #86
kanazuchi

Send a message via AIM to kanazuchi
fawk the math stuff, here are some good ones for ya:

I never was, am always to be, no one ever saw me, nor ever will. And yet I am the confidence of all to live and breathe on the terrestrial ball. What am I?

How far can a dog run into the woods?

--- Y Y U R Y Y U B I C U R Y Y 4 M E
translate this and youll already have my compliments
kanazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 20:56   Link #87
0ink
Animal Mafia Godfather

Send a message via AIM to 0ink Send a message via Yahoo to 0ink
Oxygen? :/

AIR!?

WIND!?

BREATHABLE STUFF!?
0ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 20:56   Link #88
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

nightwish lol i didnt understand a word of that but it sounded sophisticated and confusing phew...wow you must be pretty smart! ^___^
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 20:57   Link #89
Tea Pad
Earth Died Screaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT86
sorry if someones already posted a similar riddle (i skipped to the end of the thread)

there are 5 apples in a barrel 3 red apples and 2 green apples

there are three criminals condemed to death but the king declares that the criminals should be placed in a circle facing each other.
one apple was placed on each of their heads so that they could not see their own apple but could see the aplles on the other two guys heads.

the king says that the first man to rightly guess his apple was free to go.

two of the men had green apples
one of the men had a red apple

after a while one of the men with a green apple correctly guesed the colour of his apple

how did he know?
Ehm, we're assuming the men know how many greens and reds there are in total, yes? Well, if that's the case this really doesn't work. Think about it. If there are only 2 green apples and 2 of the men have green apples then the guy with the red apple would have no problem solving this riddle. He sees 2 green apples on the other men, and since there are only 2 green apples in total he knows he must have a red apple. It couldn't be anything else.

Perhaps you forgot to mention that the red apple guy is missing a large portion of his brain.
Tea Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 20:59   Link #90
kanazuchi

Send a message via AIM to kanazuchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ink
Oxygen? :/

AIR!?

WIND!?

BREATHABLE STUFF!?
nope, try again
kanazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 20:59   Link #91
wnkryo
HainShodan

oo can i post a riddle, k thanks.

What does 7xa-b =?
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 21:01   Link #92
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Pad
Ehm, we're assuming the men know how many greens and reds there are in total, yes? Well, if that's the case this really doesn't work. Think about it. If there are only 2 green apples and 2 of the men have green apples then the guy with the red apple would have no problem solving this riddle. He sees 2 green apples on the other men, and since there are only 2 green apples in total he knows he must have a red apple. It couldn't be anything else.

Perhaps you forgot to mention that the red apple guy is missing a large portion of his brain.
Ah, that would be true if it was the guy with the red apple that guessed it right...but it was the guy with the green apple....so all he saw was a guy with a red, and the other with the green...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 21:02   Link #93
0ink
Animal Mafia Godfather

Send a message via AIM to 0ink Send a message via Yahoo to 0ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanazuchi
nope, try again
Suck on this one....

My answer is.... TAO!

Yeah dude, tao is everything!, i cant fail this time. Tao is everything and nothing and all that is between.

0ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 21:02   Link #94
Tea Pad
Earth Died Screaming

No no, I don't think you get it. I'm saying the red apple guy would have to have known immediately what colour his apple was.
Old 2003-11-19, 21:03   Link #95
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I never was, am always to be, ...
Spoiler:

How far can a dog run into the woods?
Spoiler:

--- Y Y U R Y Y U B I C U R Y Y 4 M E
Spoiler:
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 21:05   Link #96
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
No no, I don't think you get it. I'm saying the red apple guy would have to have known immediately what colour his apple was.
I completely agree with you and i know what you mean...but what i was saying is that it was the green apple headed guy that guesed it right first...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 21:07   Link #97
Kuroi_Washi

Send a message via MSN to Kuroi_Washi
Quote:
sorry if someones already posted a similar riddle (i skipped to the end of the thread)

there are three criminals condemed to death but the king declares that the criminals should be placed in a circle facing each other.
one apple was placed on each of their heads so that they could not see their own apple but could see the aplles on the other two guys heads.

after a while one of the men with a green apple correctly guesed the colour of his apple

how did he know?
Can they see into the barrel?
Kuroi_Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 21:17   Link #98
saku~ya
la~li~lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi_Washi

how did he know?
I'm gonna take a big leap here.... I'll have to say he saw his reflection somewhere like off an armor of the next person or their standing next to a lake ^^;
saku~ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 21:26   Link #99
Tea Pad
Earth Died Screaming

I'm just wondering if he's mixed up the numbers. The way it's presented it doesn't make any sense at all. "After a while one of the men with a green apple correctly guesed the colour of his apple." What was the red apple guy doing during that while?

There's a similar riddle using red and black caps that actually works. Check:

Some silly King in some distant land wanted to determine who was the smartest of his court advisors. He had them all stand and face him and upon each of their swollen heads he placed a cap. He told the men that these 3 caps were taken from a total of 5, 2 of which were black and 3 of which were red. Each man could see what the other two men were wearing, but did not know the colour of his own cap. In fact, all three men were wearing red caps.

The King asked the first of them to guess the colour of his cap. The man looked at his companions, saw two red hats, and then shook his head. "I do not know."

The King asked the second of them to guess the colour of his cap. The man looked at his companions, saw two red hats, and then shook his head. "I do not know."

The King asked the last of them to guess the colour of his cap. The man looked at his companions, saw two red hats, and grinned. "My cap is red."

And so it was.

How did he know?
Old 2003-11-19, 23:00   Link #100
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

Quote:
yeah, i think something was odd about that riddle, either he made a mistake or its really simple.

If they knew what was in the barrel, then of course the guy with the red one on his head would have said what his was imeadatly.

So the after awhile would have ment that the guy with the green answered after the red guessed. One of those gay riddles.

But, if what he said was correct, and the guy with green apple guessed first, than he surley must have been confused when when the guy with the red apple didnt say anything.

That means if the guy with the red apple on top of his head didnt see two green apples, but one green and one red that was on the head of the guy who guessed.

Therefore, the other guy with the green apple on his head would have assumed the same thing, that he had a red apple on his head.

so two people with green apples on thier head belive that they have red apples on thier head.

So both of these people who think they have red apples on thier head when they actually have green apples, will think that the other guy with the green apple was seeing two red apples.

So this guy who was "seeing" two red apples couldnt say for sure wether he had a green or a red. But both other people knew that he had a green apple.

So with that, the guy(either one of them) who had a green apple on his head would have said red, because the guy with the red apple didnt say anything.

In doing so, he would have been killed on the spot. Knowing that the guy with the green apple was wrong (saying that he had a red apple). he would have guessed that something was wrong, and that the guy with the red apple on his head saw two green apples and just wasnt saying and thing. SO this was the guy with the green apple who guessed correctly.

So if his numbers were correct, this is the solution
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote