AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-16, 15:15   Link #21
Matt122005

Well, I copied DRAGON MAGAZINE, they have it where they do the 8 and then 2008. August.

It means the 8th month. But I understand the confusion.

And please, nobody judge the series in the magazine by their artwork. Because of the fact that we only have a couple artists and they are very much amateurs.

ONE LAST STAND is probably our closest story to a real light novel. Which is why it's coming in as the first one. Sorry though guys, it doesn't have illustrations.

As for our criteria, it can be any genre. We just want a GOOD, unique, interesting, and creative story that will grip readers. If you can come up with that, and write the first chapter for it, send it to me over PM and I'll either accept it, or not. In fact, if you can get it in like the next day or two, you could still possibly make the first issue.

-Matt

PS. The olympics have been awesome.
Old 2008-08-16, 15:30   Link #22
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
And please, nobody judge the series in the magazine by their artwork. Because of the fact that we only have a couple artists and they are very much amateurs.
I don't thnk anyone has complained about the artwork. My main complaint has been over the choice of fonts and the choice of font colours. I think there needs to be a serious revamp of the text layout and choice of fonts.
Old 2008-08-16, 16:12   Link #23
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Thanks for some of the answers.

I may try my luck in doing a story since I did fanfiction work on non-original work for a few years now.

Do I need to submit the story with my actual name on it?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2008-08-16 at 19:50.
Old 2008-08-17, 12:40   Link #24
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by feRfe View Post
"And the stories will all be written by english speakers. So this will be an experiement to see if english writers can write the same as japanese light novel writers."

well gl, english is not poetic/romantic at all...

would probably be better off being more original in style instead of trying to mimic japanese ones imo

the cover art looks great so i'll be checking for the inserts ;0
I disagree, english is a very romantic and poetic language, but only if you write it well ;/.

I'll be seeing how well these guys are gunna do XD

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2008-08-17, 23:52   Link #25
Matt122005

Well, here are some sneak previews for some of you. Remember, these are taken out of context and should not be used to judge the material.

Spoiler for LITTLE BIT FROM 'ONE LAST STAND':

Spoiler for LITTLE BIT FROM 'FACE':

Spoiler for LITTLE BIT FROM 'CUENTA':

Spoiler for LITTLE BIT FROM 'AMERICAN NOW DEPARTED':

Spoiler for LITTLE BIT FROM 'FIGHT OF THE PEGASUS':

Hope these spoilers have peaked your interest.

-Matt
Old 2008-08-18, 00:04   Link #26
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Matt, handed you the stuff. Let me know.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2008-08-19, 02:59   Link #27
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
I disagree, english is a very romantic and poetic language, but only if you write it well ;/.

Agree as well. Once you know your way around it, it's no problem. XP

Old 2008-08-19, 03:11   Link #28
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

hate to put a dampener on this, but you aren't the first to try and publish a light novel magazine. You'd be the third free one, done by fans, and there's also been four other attempts by other publishers at a paid version over the years. None have gone beyond a few volumes. The fan/free versions due to crappy writing and consistency, the paid ones because there was no market.

As for this version, well i'll save judgement till it's actually released, but from the snippets you posted, i'm not expecting much. Not sure i'd call it a light novel anthology either, more a fanfic anthology.

There is a proper Light Novel anthology due for release mid next year, Del Rey are planning on releasing several of their LN acquisitions as a magazine anthology, to test the waters to see if there's a call for a magazine like that.
Old 2008-08-19, 03:14   Link #29
feRfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post

it's a really outspoken language and not subtle like all the asian languages (and esp japanese)
Old 2008-08-19, 03:23   Link #30
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by feRfe View Post
it's a really outspoken language and not subtle like all the asian languages (and esp japanese)
Depends how you use it, like any language. I suggest you go read some of the older english love poems and sonnets. English can be just as round about as any language, it's about how the writer uses the vocabulary he has.

These days though the english language is more forth right and to the point. I'm constantly surprised we aren't talking txt speak to each other just to speed up conversations >.<
Old 2008-08-19, 08:44   Link #31
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
There is a proper Light Novel anthology due for release mid next year, Del Rey are planning on releasing several of their LN acquisitions as a magazine anthology, to test the waters to see if there's a call for a magazine like that.
There is? Wonder why I didn't know...

Old 2008-08-19, 10:08   Link #32
MooMooFarm

Though I'm completely happy and supportive for something as productive as this, I really must express my sadness that this thread isn't about people wanting to post online free translations in formated chunks of novel series like Slayers and Spice and Wolf XD

Props to you! GL :]
Old 2008-08-19, 14:38   Link #33
feRfe

Quote:
Depends how you use it, like any language. I suggest you go read some of the older english love poems and sonnets. English can be just as round about as any language, it's about how the writer uses the vocabulary he has.

These days though the english language is more forth right and to the point. I'm constantly surprised we aren't talking txt speak to each other just to speed up conversations >.<
I'll bet you that the same poem can be rewritten w/ half to three-fourths the words in Chinese or Japanese

I know enough of English literature and Asian ones to judge... I've read Shakespearean sonnets and English classics as well as ancient Chinese literature/poems and Japanese haikus.
Old 2008-08-19, 15:39   Link #34
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Shakespeare was a very wordy writer, nd looking at only his and saying its bad isn't right. You need to look at the more obscure and less well known english poets to get a true indication. My ex studies poetry and stuff, she has books that are full of stuff like that. Also, Japanese has a habit of throwing everything and the kitchin sink into its scentences. takes half an hour to say hello >.<

As i said, it's all in the use. you'll find wordy and not so wordyu poetry in both languages. Dosen't mean they aren't good. But this is heading off track.

Id there a release date on this yet, august is almost over and still nothing
Old 2008-08-19, 19:37   Link #35
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Shakespeare was a very wordy writer, nd looking at only his and saying its bad isn't right. You need to look at the more obscure and less well known english poets to get a true indication. My ex studies poetry and stuff, she has books that are full of stuff like that. Also, Japanese has a habit of throwing everything and the kitchin sink into its scentences. takes half an hour to say hello >.<

As i said, it's all in the use. you'll find wordy and not so wordyu poetry in both languages. Dosen't mean they aren't good. But this is heading off track.

Id there a release date on this yet, august is almost over and still nothing
No word from Matt. Probably watching the Olympics...

Old 2008-08-19, 20:45   Link #36
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I never really liked Shakespeare at all, the conversations he wrote were often too stretched.

Look for some nice short stories, novellas etc.

Hmm, hopefully there'll be something up soon.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2008-08-20, 00:52   Link #37
Matt122005

Quote:
hate to put a dampener on this, but you aren't the first to try and publish a light novel magazine. You'd be the third free one, done by fans, and there's also been four other attempts by other publishers at a paid version over the years. None have gone beyond a few volumes. The fan/free versions due to crappy writing and consistency, the paid ones because there was no market.

As for this version, well i'll save judgement till it's actually released, but from the snippets you posted, i'm not expecting much. Not sure i'd call it a light novel anthology either, more a fanfic anthology.

Wow, um, care to share your information? Google has never shown anything like that, and I have looked. The third free one? Interesting, I'd like links please.

Four official ones? Is that right? Links please.

Also, you'd be dead wrong to call us a FANFIC anthology. FANFICTION means that we are writings fiction based off existing properties. We are not, all stories are original to their authors and their authors alone.

As for Del Rey, get your info right, the magazine is called FAUST, and it came out TODAY. I am holding it. lol

Its a collection of stories from the 5 japanese FAUST magazines.

As for the release, we are finalizing the name.

How does Karui Shosetsu Magazine sound?

-Matt

PS. We may in the near future create a second magazine that would be published irregulerly that would be in the same vein as FAUST. But its still just an idea.
Old 2008-08-20, 01:03   Link #38
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Wow, um, care to share your information? Google has never shown anything like that, and I have looked. The third free one? Interesting, I'd like links please.

Four official ones? Is that right? Links please.

Also, you'd be dead wrong to call us a FANFIC anthology. FANFICTION means that we are writings fiction based off existing properties. We are not, all stories are original to their authors and their authors alone.

As for Del Rey, get your info right, the magazine is called FAUST, and it came out TODAY. I am holding it. lol

Its a collection of stories from the 5 japanese FAUST magazines.

As for the release, we are finalizing the name.

How does Karui Shosetsu Magazine sound?

-Matt

PS. We may in the near future create a second magazine that would be published irregulerly that would be in the same vein as FAUST. But its still just an idea.
Sounds interesting. Will there be an English name?

PS - I just hope that story'll have drawings.

You got the stuff I e-mailed you?

Old 2008-08-20, 01:45   Link #39
Matt122005

Yes, havent read it quite yet. Sorry.

-Matt
Old 2008-08-20, 02:03   Link #40
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Ah. Just let me know how it went anyway since I was waiting. Domo if it goes through or not!

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2008-08-20 at 02:17.
Closed Thread