AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 01:32   Link #341
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Wait, isn't Australia classified in the "Asia Pacific Region" in terms of Game Zones, or do you have to wait for the American/European releases?
Old 2011-01-14, 01:33   Link #342
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

pp

Yeah, for many years Aussie's have been left out of most video gaming affairs. Surely they should be included in the North America region, since they can't be in the asian region. But I'm no expert on that.

My take on region locking, is both a good thing and a bad thing. The kind of good thing I see is from what I remember reading about the DSi, it obviously only get's NA firmware updates because, well, it's NA locked. I like that kind of content delivery system, that's based on the device you are using to access said content. You have no idea how many times, as a traveller, going to websites that in turn give you the version of the website based on the language that your IP just so happens to be, when my device is in English. Another thing I see about this, is delivering region specific multiplayer capabalities instead of relying on the game to do it, though that surely could be made differently.

The bad thing, of course is the inability to play games from other regions. Sure, a lot of the interesting games are Japan-only, but that's not my beef. As a person whose homeland is Germany, sometimes I buy games from there, and since my DS was from NA, I had no problem. But if I had a 3DS and I'm transiting the EU, that's a problem. That would mean I'd have to either get an EU 3DS, walk into a US military installation for games if I have a NA system, or whatever it is, it's now a double process instead of the simple 1 system, different region games I used to do on my DS.

I guess we wait and see. I just hope it doesn't get out of hand to the point where Custom Firmware is the solution. One thing they could do, is only have region lock for system related functions, like I described above, and leave game locks alone.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 01:45   Link #343
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Wait, isn't Australia classified in the "Asia Pacific Region" in terms of Game Zones, or do you have to wait for the American/European releases?
Actually, in terms of Game regions, Australia is considered a part of Europe even though we're nowhere near Europe.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 08:03   Link #344
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
One thing they could do, is only have region lock for system related functions, like I described above, and leave game locks alone.
Obviously this would be the best solution, considering kids do take their handhelds with them on vacation.

small list on andriasang.com showing what titles will be released in march, bear in mind, that these are not launch titles.
Gundam The 3D Battle and Steel Diver stands out for me personally.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 11:26   Link #345
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
small list on andriasang.com showing what titles will be released in march, bear in mind, that these are not launch titles.
Gundam The 3D Battle and Steel Diver stands out for me personally.
I don't trust "launch window" lists anymore. Not since the Wii listed Smash Brothers Brawl as a launch window title, only to have it release like 2 years later.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 11:54   Link #346
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron
You have no idea how many times, as a traveller, going to websites that in turn give you the version of the website based on the language that your IP just so happens to be, when my device is in English.
Those websites are dumb because they should be serving the language that your web browser sends them with each request. Why does this need a region lock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan
Actually, in terms of Game regions, Australia is considered a part of Europe even though we're nowhere near Europe.
It's considered part of the PAL region because of their use of that TV standard.
Old 2011-01-14, 11:59   Link #347
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't trust "launch window" lists anymore. Not since the Wii listed Smash Brothers Brawl as a launch window title, only to have it release like 2 years later.
They needed those two years to add Sonic and tripping.
Wow, region lock. That sucks. Here's hoping Love Plus is somehow brought over here intact....
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 13:05   Link #348
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

http://www.3dsbuzz.com/friend-codes-headed-for-3ds/

is this been posted yet?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 18:18   Link #349
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
Wow that's a downer, thanks a lot bro.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 19:21   Link #350
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
It's considered part of the PAL region because of their use of that TV standard.
Um, yeah. I didn't mention that because because PCs and Handhelds don't use PAL or NTSC.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 21:57   Link #351
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Old ladies who seduce little boys with X-Boxes and losers who marry their DS have ONCE AGAIN ruined it for us normal otaku....
Old 2011-01-14, 22:37   Link #352
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
losers who marry their DS
This has nothing to do with friend codes or region locking at all.
Old 2011-01-15, 01:21   Link #353
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Sorry, figure of speech. The old ladies (and men) who seduce little boys (and girls!) was the point of the sentence.
Old 2011-01-15, 11:12   Link #354
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Um, yeah. I didn't mention that because because PCs and Handhelds don't use PAL or NTSC.
True, but unfortunately for Australia, it's the TV standards that were used to lump them in the same region as Europe.
Old 2011-01-19, 09:48   Link #355
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Watching the European stream of the 3DS event...

I wish it was easier to understand the various heavy accents used. And the live translation is distracting.

EDIT: In fact, I don't see the point of having the VIPs present when everything they said had to be repeated in English. And the jokes don't work when said twice.

There are too much translation time and not enough game footage. This is far more boring than the original 3DS reveal event.

EDIT again: DOA trailer is just a repeat of the Japanese trailer already online. Can't they just make something new?

EDIT3: Confirmed that the translation is done live; the translator does not have a script, and had just made a mistake translating. Is this really a good idea?

EDIT4: A twitter from here http://twitter.com/game_on told us that the American price for 3DS would be $250 USD. March 27, 2011. Now we just have to wait for the European release date and pricing.

EDIT5: 3DS released on March 25th for Europe. Price NOT yet confirmed because the supplier will decide their mark up. There is a wholesale price, but the actual market price is not yet out.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2011-01-19 at 10:12.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 10:12   Link #356
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
hm, it seems friend codes are one per system now as opposed to unique to each game, neat.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 10:18   Link #357
Matheson

3-5 hours when playing 3DS games? I think I'll just wait for the next version to come out: Nintendo 3DSi Lite XL!!
Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 10:41   Link #358
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

My 2 cent that us , in EU , it'll be 250€ . Yeah , in terms of conversion , we're screwed...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 10:45   Link #359
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
My 2 cent that us , in EU , it'll be 250€ . Yeah , in terms of conversion , we're screwed...
If I have to pay $500AUD for 3DS, I would be angry. Why would I have to pay double of what the Americans pay? Does currency parity mean nothing to anyone at Nintendo?

EDIT:
Let’s face it; If I am stuck with region lock, I would have no reason anymore in buying 3DS games in Australia. Many games will never actually get released here. If I want the largest library of English 3DS games, I NEED to get an American 3DS. Together with the very real possibility that the US 3DS would be cheaper, and I no longer have a reason to buy Australian anymore. Just order online, and it gets to my door in 3 weeks.

You brought it on yourselves, Australian retailers. Region locking, overprice, and lack of games I want. Going American is the logical choice.

I mean, why wait months and months hoping for an Australian release when Americans are already playing? And buying on the internet is a breeze. The only thing that could stop me now is if Nintendo decide to make game console themselves unplayable in a different region. And that would be evil.
Old 2011-01-19, 10:59   Link #360
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The only thing that could stop me now is if Nintendo decide to make game console themselves unplayable in a different region. And that would be evil.
Wouldn't be possible without also making it impossible to play without a wifi connection, and no one would be stupid enough to do that. Closest thing that could happen would be the chargers use different voltages, in which case you'd just need to get an adapter for like $20 or whatever.

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds