AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 11 19.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 30.36%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 10.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-23, 14:13   Link #61
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
Tohru believes that a relationship with Ohana would be too much of a hassle based on how much she gets involved in things. Long story short, I think there's still hope for Minchi and she's just overreacting to what she perceives as her rival stealing her love interest.
I think Tohru sees Ohana and Minchi as little sisters.
Old 2011-08-23, 20:32   Link #62
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

By now I think it'll be an "Everybody is forever alone" ending.

There will be no TooruxOhana, TooruxMinko, OhanaxKo or any of that. Nothing, zero, nadaaa.

Its pretty late in the game for any potential couples to come out victorious.

Tooru likes Ohana, but Ohana doesn't see him that way.

Minko likes Tooru, but Tooru doesn't see her that way and probably never will.

As for Ko and Ohana, the only way I see it working is if either Ohana goes back to Tokyo (which is pretty low) or Ko goes to Kissuiso (which I also doubt). Besides, have Ohana and Ko even kept in touch? Before we would at least get small drops on hints that they were texting, but now nothing. :/
Old 2011-08-23, 20:41   Link #63
icatero
well, okay

Who gets the inn, you ask?

Sui plans on shutting Kissuiso down because there's not a good enough heir. Beanman's son saves it and renames it Kisdenrokuiso in honor of his father, who dies in the last episode.

THE END. :')
Old 2011-08-24, 00:16   Link #64
4Tran

This is a pretty decent episode that brings a bit of focus into the show. Tomoe and Ren were the highlights for me - I can't resist a cold shiver like that.

Aside from that, I would have preferred it if HanaIro had been a heavy drama, and this episode illustrates why. As a light drama, the biggest problem is maintaining focus and consistency. The show meanders too much without an overarching goal, and it's rock solid when given some substance to tackle. All in all, the show seems to be competently handled, and I can foresee everything wrapping up satisfactorily going into the final stretch.
Old 2011-08-24, 08:09   Link #65
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Man, fucking Enishi doing some weird shit again. And roflhnnng at Yuina's ero-face.
Old 2011-08-24, 21:02   Link #66
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Space Between

In Asian countries that have adopted Western marriages, the passing of the ring is a deeply rooted tradition. It signifies the passing of the torch and the giving of trust. The mother passes her wedding ring to her daughter-in-law to be as sign of acceptance into the family. In Asian nations it’s almost always the bride who gets introduced into the groom’s family as she leaves her own, and the wedding ring being passed down generations symbolizes every new entry of brides into the family. This is perhaps the best (and maybe surprising) gesture Sui could have done for her. By giving Takako her ring she finally gives her the acknowledgement she’s been seeking, and I think that part of it has to do with her concern for Enishi and the inn going so far as to call off the wedding for their sakes. Now Sui knows and accepts the concern and love that Takako possesses, and at the same time tells her own story as a lesson to the next generation.

We finally get to see some backstory into the much hinted younger lives of Sui and her husband. Here we see that indeed she shares many qualities with the staff members of the inn: Ohana’s exuberance (only more, shall we say, controlled) and Minchi’s no nonsense seriousness come to late. She speaks of a love ever after, beyond death, something I never expected from a very pragmatic woman, but perhaps her years of maintaining the inn has made her a balance of both idealism and realism. Now we know that inside a strict and serious woman is a person who has seen life’s various angles, enough to give the best advice for people who need them.
Old 2011-08-25, 07:49   Link #67
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Lol at the naked fight scene. This show is relying on fanservice instead of good storytelling. But I still can't believe the amount of details in their visuals that they put in this show. I mean cgi waves, CGI WAVES in a 24 episode slice of life anime!!! This show surpasses most OVAS out there in terms of visuals.
Old 2011-08-25, 11:07   Link #68
sayde

I liked this episode. Then again, I relish in Minko's tears and frustration. It makes me happy. So this episode didn't have to do much else for me to enjoy it.
Old 2011-08-25, 13:58   Link #69
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandchaosSR View Post
Lol at the naked fight scene. This show is relying on fanservice instead of good storytelling.
Yeah, not really. Sure that scene was pretty blatant, but how many scenes like this has there been in the series? There's been 20 episodes, but I'm pretty sure I can count any "fanservice" scenes on one hand.
Old 2011-08-25, 20:33   Link #70
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
Yeah, not really. Sure that scene was pretty blatant, but how many scenes like this has there been in the series? There's been 20 episodes, but I'm pretty sure I can count any "fanservice" scenes on one hand.
Let's see, we've got:

1.- That scene with Nako, Minko and Ohana bathing and "wanting to sparkle" - Service of Jiroumaru

2.- That Nako scene after she rescues Jiroumaru

3.- Ohana and Minko's first bathing time together

4.- That time Ohana bathed and came out running in a towel

5.- Satsuki taking off her shirt in front of Jiroumaru and then bathing

6.- Loli Satsuki stripping in front of Bean Man

7.- Ohana been turtle-shell bonded by Jiroumaru

8.- All of the "beach scene" and showing flat chests and small asses -coughOhanaI'mlookingatyoucough-

9.- Ohana/Minko/Nako/Yuina bathing together at the Inn during their trip

10.- Minko taking off her blouse and being shown in only a bra

11.- The "china dress" plan / of course, its challenge

12.- When Takako fell into the pool /transparent blouse/sexy bra shown

13.- Ohana and Minko fighting naked

14.-Yuina's "erotic" comments

And let's not forget all those "overly suggestive" posters that are published a lot. I mean, Ohana and Nako falling and being all over each other? Or all the girls in revealing Yukatas?

Am I missing anything else?

I'd say HanaIro is definitely relying a lot on fanservice. :/

WHY HANASAKU, WHY?!
Old 2011-08-25, 20:36   Link #71
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Is the Inn really what Enishi wanted to do?

Though he wanted to be a writer or something, but Satsuki left so he was the only one left to fill the spot.

I think the landlady wants to give it to Ohana, and let Enishi find his own calling.
I think it's this too. I think sui has realized that Ohana is the best possible heir to the inn as Enishi never really wanted to have to suceed the inn.

Kohanasou. You heard it here first.
Old 2011-08-26, 04:27   Link #72
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
WHY HANASAKU, WHY?!
Because writer Mari Okada loves echi

Hell she even told people in an interview before the show aired there'd be plenty of it,I didn't believe it,thought she was kidding

Though do note that there's been nothing as cliché as a panty shot and as the fight scene shows,it doesn't get in the way of the story.
Old 2011-08-26, 10:07   Link #73
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
There's been 20 episodes, but I'm pretty sure I can count any "fanservice" scenes on one hand.
Let's see, we've got:
(snipity)
Okay, let me rephrase that: The scenes I felt were blatantly pandering, I think I can count on one hand. Well - I'll be honest, there's a little more than I remembered (though I will still argue that not all bath scenes or depictions of underwear are "fanservice" by default... in other words, just because something may give you a stiffie doesn't mean that was its intended purpose)... but that only goes to show how seemlessly it's been integrated into the show. In other words; this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Though do note that there's been nothing as cliché as a panty shot and as the fight scene shows,it doesn't get in the way of the story.
Exactly. Having the occasional shot of less-than-dressed females in a context where such attire actually makes sense is hardly the same as "relying on fanservice instead of good storytelling", which is far from the case here IMO. I mean, do you really think someone who is into anime for the fanservice will look to Hanasaku Iroha, of all shows, to get their fix? I think not. Speaking for myself; while I have found the storytelling a bit lacking lately, it certainly isn't fanservice that has had me coming back to this show every week.
Old 2011-08-26, 10:36   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Because writer Mari Okada loves echi
I don't think that's it. Another recent anime show that Okada wrote was Anohana, and that had no ecchi to speak of, from what I can recall. True Tears also had very little ecchi, maybe a couple pantyshots.

I seriously think that the head honchos at PA Works told Okada to "sex up" Hanasaku Iroha to appeal to ecchi/fanservice fans.

Admittedly, I have no proof of this, but that is the hunch I have. It would make sense given how True Tears didn't do that well sales-wise, so PA Works might have felt that for a school-life drama show like that to succeed, it needs added fanservice.

Quote:

Sometimes it does get in the way of the story, in my opinion.

However, I'll admit that its been pretty seamless in Hanasaku Iroha over the past few episodes, at least. The naked Ohana/Minchi squabble in this episode, for example, felt sincere, and not overly gratuitous. I don't doubt some viewers got off on it, but I personally didn't find it overly distracting. It felt believable, basically.
Old 2011-08-26, 13:54   Link #75
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Anyway, I think that the sole fact that the whole series was set in a hot-springs inn, called for fanservice to begin with. Otherwise, they could've chosen a different setting to tell their story. It can't be really surprising that there are nude scenes in a bathhouse/hot springs kind of scenario. Most of such scenes can't be called out of context... because they're in context.

AnoHana and True Tears were basically privy of fanservice, but also set in very different places.

About episode 21. When Okami-san said that the heritage of the inn won't go to Enishi and Takako, I thought why not Ohana then? Satsuki is clearly not interested and has chosen a different path. So in the lineage the next would be Ohana.
She's still young but in a few years she may be ready, she certainly doesn't lack enthusiasm and determination, and has already proven to be a good Shijima woman. I wouldn't discard this option so quickly. That would also be the infamous "OhanaxKissuiso" kind of ending.
Old 2011-08-26, 14:17   Link #76
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think that's it. Another recent anime show that Okada wrote was Anohana, and that had no ecchi to speak of, from what I can recall. True Tears also had very little ecchi, maybe a couple pantyshots.

I seriously think that the head honchos at PA Works told Okada to "sex up" Hanasaku Iroha to appeal to ecchi/fanservice fans.

Admittedly, I have no proof of this, but that is the hunch I have. It would make sense given how True Tears didn't do that well sales-wise, so PA Works might have felt that for a school-life drama show like that to succeed, it needs added fanservice.
Canaan (a PA Works/Okada collaboration from 2009) is fairly similar to Hana-Saku Iroha in fanservice level (the "fountain" scene always cracks me up). And she's done series composition for everything from fanservice free shows to Kodomo no Jikan, one of the most infamous lolicon fanservice shows ever. So her record on ecchi is all over the board.

I need to find time to write my impressions of 20 (great) and 21 (so-so)... getting ready for university is really stressing me out this year.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-08-26, 15:09   Link #77
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Anyway, I think that the sole fact that the whole series was set in a hot-springs inn, called for fanservice to begin with.
I disagree. I think this show would have been perfectly fine without the level of fanservice in it. Does having a hospital setting for a show "call" for lots of gorey scenes involving surgery, or can the show function fine without it?

In my view, this is a discretionary matter up to the makers of the show. So is the level of fanservice in Hanasaku Iroha.

Quote:
Otherwise, they could've chosen a different setting to tell their story.
What difference does it make if it's at a Hot Springs Inn, or at a non-hot springs Inn/Hotel? The story and its characters would not be significantly different at all due to this change alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Canaan (a PA Works/Okada collaboration from 2009) is fairly similar to Hana-Saku Iroha in fanservice level (the "fountain" scene always cracks me up). And she's done series composition for everything from fanservice free shows to Kodomo no Jikan, one of the most infamous lolicon fanservice shows ever. So her record on ecchi is all over the board.
How many of those are adaptations (where Okada is simply handling adaptation work) and how many of those are anime originals (where Okada is basically writing a story of her own creation, and not merely helping to adapt another author's story for the anime medium)? I think that Okada's work on anime originals is much more telling here, as these are her creations, story-wise.

Kodomo no Jikan was originally a manga, wrote by Kaworu Watashiya. Okada merely helped adapt it into an anime. So I don't think that says much of anything about Okada's approach to ecchi in general.

I really don't see much reason to think that Okada is a big fan of ecchi.
Old 2011-08-26, 15:20   Link #78
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
....About episode 21. When Okami-san said that the heritage of the inn won't go to Enishi and Takako, I thought why not Ohana then? Satsuki is clearly not interested and has chosen a different path. So in the lineage the next would be Ohana.

She's still young but in a few years she may be ready, she certainly doesn't lack enthusiasm and determination, and has already proven to be a good Shijima woman. I wouldn't discard this option so quickly. That would also be the infamous "OhanaxKissuiso" kind of ending.
Agree with the bolded text above - but for some reason I feel that if Ohana did in fact take over the Inn she might be more willing to help out (although to what degree I do not know).

I feel that Satsuki's resistance to the Inn is more a mother/daughter war than anything else (although this may be my imagination). Then again Satsuki's ability to surprise both with her being an insensitive, self-centered jerk and a delightfully perceptive and gentle soul steadily surprises me. I never quite know what to expect in her reactions....

Anyway I always kinda assumed that even if Ohana did not shoulder the position of leading the Inn herself that she would stay on at least.
Old 2011-08-26, 15:53   Link #79
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think that's it.
There's a Yakaman interview over on the fractale thread and he said about Okada "she is an "ecchi" herself." so I figured that meant she liked echi.
And remember she herself hyped up episode 3 and was excited about it.

Of course that doesn't mean she'll put it in every project she works on,sketchbook full color's is a 4 koma adapted by Okada (Should have mentioned Okada in your suggestion thread lol) the manga has absolutly 0 fanservice and while Okada definatly put her stamp on the anime it still had 0 fanservice.
Old 2011-08-26, 23:04   Link #80
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
There's a Yakaman interview over on the fractale thread and he said about Okada "she is an "ecchi" herself." so I figured that meant she liked echi.
And remember she herself hyped up episode 3 and was excited about it.
I'm not sure how much trust I'd put in Yamakan here, though I thank you for the info.

Are you aware of the internet rumor on who Jiromaru is based on? Of who Okada is trying to target with him?

By the way, Jiromaru's character is a big part of the reason why I question the frequent use of fanservice in this anime. Simply put, if this anime had less fanservice, we'd probably have less Jiromaru too. The two often go hand-in-hand in this anime.