AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-05, 23:07   Link #401
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I was thinking "Minoru." It has a softer touch, to match the shota-ness.

At least, that's the current consensus over here in Korea, at the largest Haruhi club in Korea (over 20,000 active members).
We already have a Minoru though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Do remember that Kyon calls Asahina as Asahina, Koizumi as Koizumi, Suzumiya by first name, Nagato as Nagato, and only Asahina and Suzumiya refer to Kyon as 'Kyon'. Koizumi and Nagato use 'you' as they address Kyon as a second person.

I am trying to demonstrate that if it were by novel canon, Kyon-chan will certainly talk very differently from a stereotypical shoujo. The circumstances around the novels have to do with Kyon's logic and the perception Kyon has over the surroundings.
That's not what I'm talking about. The only thing you really changed was the names and the gender pronouns. More needs to be done to it so that one gets the feel that "oh, a girl wrote this" when reading it.

And how do you know how Kyon-ko acts in novel canon? She doesn't exist in novel canon. Half the point of rewriting this is to show how the perceptions and logic would be different if Kyon was a girl.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:08   Link #402
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
So is half the novel series.
Not to that extent I believe. But who's to say?

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:10   Link #403
renrutal

Kyon-chan works well...

Now that you say it, I just went through a wide search in baka-tsuki about the usage of Kyon in the volumes:

Haruhi, Taniguchi, Kunikida, Nakagawa (Nagato-fanboy), Sasaki: Kyon only
Asahina, Kyon's sister: Kyon-kun only (vol 9 disagrees, might be a mistranslation)
Tsuruya: Mostly Kyon-kun, sometimes Kyon in vol 7
Itsuki: Said Kyon only once on vol 4, mocking both Kyon and John names. Other than that, never.
Yuki: Never, ever said Kyon or Kyon-kun, this even a major plot point in Snow Mountain Syndrome.
renrutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:11   Link #404
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Not to that extent I believe. But who's to say?
Well, they're certainly not as funny, due to the lack of visual humor. But yeah, who's to say?
Old 2008-03-05, 23:16   Link #405
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Do remember that Kyon calls Asahina as Asahina, Koizumi as Koizumi, Suzumiya by first name, Nagato as Nagato, and only Asahina and Suzumiya refer to Kyon as 'Kyon'. Koizumi and Nagato use 'you' as they address Kyon as a second person.

I am trying to demonstrate that if it were by novel canon, Kyon-chan will certainly talk very differently from a stereotypical shoujo. The circumstances around the novels have to do with Kyon's logic and the perception Kyon has over the surroundings. Even for a male, Kyon doesn't really talk like a typical young man as who in the right mind will think of former PM Mori and Uesegi Tenshin, or battle of Surigao Strait?
Kyon-chan would indeed have to sound different from the original Kyon. She's more likely to refer to Haruki by his given name, although the -kun suffix is up in the air (I'm leaning no on that). She's likely to be at or around the same level of formality and conduct with Yuuki, but the relationship with Mitsuru is a strange one. And maybe it's just me, but I envision more intimacy with Itsuki-chan, if only for girl bonding.

Her thought process also has to be different from the original Kyon. What girl in their right mind would think like Kyon does? Actually, how many of us guys think like him?

Like Kaisos suggested, Kyon is a watcher of shounen and sci-fi, while Kyon-chan is likely to have been influenced by shoujo and other such things (where I have very little experience).

Old 2008-03-05, 23:18   Link #406
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

@Kaisos Erranon depends if your conjectures made are based on the criteria of close to equal outcomes out of the scenarios and whether or not if the scenarios themselves are closely identical to that of the canon. Frankly, the only frame of reference in the entirety of Haruhi series is based solely from the perspective of one Kyon. Essentially, the only 'established' point of reference is that of Kyon as in canon...

Yes, I have merely changed she to he. ChrissieXD in comparison is attempting to create a different personality and to gain another view. I will not only acknowledge your point, but actually thinking about how hard it would be to construct an independent mindset for Kyon-ko...

Kyon-ko's influence might also be... Jane Austin, Heian/Warring period/Meiji poets... Japanese culture isn't quite like that of western mind, since the concept of Bushido for one applies to female as do male, to name just one element. Here by my question: male kyon has a unique mind for a male, but what would constitute as a unique mind for a female?

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:19   Link #407
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I will not only acknowledge your point, but actually thinking about how hard it would be to construct an independent mindset for Kyon-ko...
This is exactly what I am attempting to do.

Or will be attempting to do once I get this report done.

Maaa, I hate college...
Old 2008-03-05, 23:22   Link #408
renrutal

About what to do with the Computer Society, try something like they're a fake club, their real intention is to spend time on Yaoi worship and production. Then Haruki finds out...

That should turn into an interesting Day of Sagittarius... Boys Love game? Yuuki turns out to be their BL god-like player(he's just knowledgeable, not that he's really into that... currently)?
Old 2008-03-05, 23:22   Link #409
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
@Kaisos Erranon depends if your conjectures made are based on the criteria of close to equal outcomes out of the scenarios and whether or not if the scenarios themselves are closely identical to that of the canon. Frankly, the only frame of reference in the entirety of Haruhi series is based solely from the perspective of one Kyon. Essentially, the only 'established' point of reference is that of Kyon as in canon...

Yes, I have merely changed she to he. ChrissieXD in comparison is attempting to create a different personality and to gain another view. I will not only acknowledge your point, but actually thinking about how hard it would be to construct an independent mindset for Kyon-ko...
That's more ignorance than anything else on my part.

If it's a fanfic, it's up to the author(s) to decide the personality and actions, as that is the canon ending in that world. But, the great thing about literature is that you don't have to accept that ending or characterization. For instance, I love Kazumi of Shana, so I made a canon ending in my mind of having her end up with Yuji. It's not for anyone else to tell me that my plotline was wrong, as it is my canon ending.
Basically, I think in terms of the fanfiction end of this (The rewrite of the story), the author should be the one who makes the final say. It just means that in his/her world, that's their personality, and that's what happens.
Old 2008-03-05, 23:23   Link #410
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

And we have 400 posts in 4 days!

If that's not the description of hot, I don't know what is!

Anyway, just some random thoughts:
  • What makes Kyon-ko take an interest in Haruki like Kyon did with Haruhi?
  • Does she resist Haruki better than Kyon resists Haruhi?
  • Chippendale-type outfits work for me, but I can't get Chris Farley out of my head for some reason...
  • Who gets tapped for "maid" duties?
  • If Mitsuuru: a trap maid or a butler? (maybe Haruki has watched/read Hayate the Combat Butler?)
That's all for now!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:23   Link #411
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Kyon-chan would indeed have to sound different from the original Kyon. She's more likely to refer to Haruki by his given name, although the -kun suffix is up in the air (I'm leaning no on that). She's likely to be at or around the same level of formality and conduct with Yuuki, but the relationship with Mitsuru is a strange one. And maybe it's just me, but I envision more intimacy with Itsuki-chan, if only for girl bonding. )
Given how informal the real relation is, I would say Kyon-chan will not use "kun" on Haruki.

Asahina will probably remain Asahina.

In Nagato's case...... well, I'll leave that up to you.

Koizumi: First name terms. It's a girl thing.

Quote:
Her thought process also has to be different from the original Kyon. What girl in their right mind would think like Kyon does? Actually, how many of us guys think like him?

Like Kaisos suggested, Kyon is a watcher of shounen and sci-fi, while Kyon-chan is likely to have been influenced by shoujo and other such things (where I have very little experience).
(I consider myself as a mixture of Tomoya and Kyon I can get even more cynical when it isn't connected to anime)

I'm thinking of Kyon-ko as a less cynical, more dreamy type of person.

DJ, I'll read over your work sometime later, and comment on it. Let's see if I can get some of my shoujo experience into it.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:25   Link #412
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Hoho, that would requite a completely different set of references to that of the original Day of Sagittarius III, being heavily influenced by Legend of Galactic Heroes and Yamato. For one thing, if you want an equivalence to that in gaming annals of fame, you need Tokimeki memorial and even before that... and there is no such thing as a multiplayer LAN dating sim game ... in 2D.

I actually think of Kyon-ko as somewhat jaded and cynical I guess! Having no belief in miracle nor Santa Claus, she is forced to deal with reality as male Kyon does... while never that popular and sees things from the sideline perpetually.

Kang Seung Jae: You don't mean Regnarok. I know there's a 3D MMORPG all about 'dating and sex' being made in S.Korea... those girls in computer club would have to be pretty 'savvy' to hunt down things that aren't ported over to Japan. From what I recall, Korean products didn't hit big in Japan until after 1995.

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2008-03-05, 23:26   Link #413
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
and there is no such thing as a multiplayer LAN dating sim game ... in 2D.
I think there wa such a thing.... in Korea

I'm not joking.
Old 2008-03-05, 23:27   Link #414
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

• Chippendale-type outfits work for me, but I can't get Chris Farley out of my head for some reason...
  • If Mitsuuru: a trap maid or a butler? (maybe Haruki has watched/read Hayate the Combat Butler?)
That's all for now!

To answer your thoughts:

(I WANT INPUT ON THE FOLLOWING, PLEASE)

- Hmm, I'd have to say for the same reasons, mostly. Haruki's pretty good looking, seems to have similar interests, stands out a lot. Then she talks to him and is utterly weirded out.

-Kyon resists Haruhi pretty well, considering. As for poor Kyon-ko, since Haruki can pick her up at will, I don't think she's going to have an easy time...

-Um. Yeah, Chippendales. I'm going to squick myself out writing that one.

-Mitsuuru. To Haruki, dressing in drag is one way of proving one's manliness.

-As above, Trap Maid. Because it's funnier. Unless anyone has objections? (Referencing Hayate would be fun...)

Quote:

I'm thinking of Kyon-ko as a less cynical, more dreamy type of person.

DJ, I'll read over your work sometime later, and comment on it. Let's see if I can get some of my shoujo experience into it.[/COLOR][/B]
His... work?
Old 2008-03-05, 23:28   Link #415
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

That's all for now!

Thanks Crow. To answer some of the thoughts:

- Haruki's a pretty good looking bastard. Strange eccentricities aside, it's pretty much the same reasoning as the original novel.
- Something tells me Kyon-chan's gonna have a harder time resisting Haruki than Kyon does with Haruhi. But she'll try her best!
- I'm torn between how we should divvy up maid duties. Asahina's still the prime candidate, but Kyon-chan looks so good in the maid outfit, and I've seen Itsuki-chan cosplay raping Kyon-chan already.

Quote:
DJ, I'll read over your work sometime later, and comment on it. Let's see if I can get some of my shoujo experience into it.
That's Kaisos's dominion. PM him, he's the writer.

Old 2008-03-05, 23:32   Link #416
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

As Kyon sees Haruhi, Kyonko might Haruki being a person that can realize dreams, no matter what the circumstances be I suppose. A universal theme with the sheer tidal wave of Suzumiya's personality is that no element can oppose that fire burning inside this force of nature and that the world will move on Suzumiya's whim.

Old 2008-03-05, 23:33   Link #417
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
His... work?
Quote:
That's Kaisos's dominion. PM him, he's the writer.

Sorry, my brain is melting in this bloody hell of registering classes
Old 2008-03-05, 23:33   Link #418
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
As Kyon sees Haruhi, Kyonko might Haruki being a person that can realize dreams, no matter what the circumstances be I suppose. A universal theme with the sheer tidal wave of Suzumiya's personality is that no element can oppose that fire burning inside this force of nature and that the world will move on Suzumiya's whim.
Going beyond the impossible and kicking reason to the curb? Haruki's spiral energy is limitless?!

Old 2008-03-05, 23:34   Link #419
renrutal

Thinking more about the Yaoi computer fan club, I don't think Haruki would blackmail them for that, he'd actually shoot a photo session with Mitsuruu, and would trade the pics for a computer.
Old 2008-03-05, 23:37   Link #420
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrutal View Post
Thinking more about the Yaoi computer fan club, I don't think Haruki would blackmail them for that, he'd actually shoot a photo session with Mitsuruu, and would trade the pics for a computer.
Poor, useless, Mitsuuru.

Quote:

Sorry, my brain is melting in this bloody hell of registering classes
There we go.

I appreciate the help, though. The only shoujo I've ever seen is Ouran, so that's a big help.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan