AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-08-12, 19:23   Link #1
w00tix

Anime Support: Can a fan-base influence a studio to produce more episodes?

've heard several times about various people saying if a particular anime show gets enough steam/fanbase they would continue with the series or have a OVA. How do they judge how popular a show is getting? I guess they could check japanese ratings, but they're forgetting about some of us outside of the country, and some of these animes are years old with still ongoing mangas.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is...Is there anything that I could do to support an anime I would like more episodes/development of?
w00tix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 21:40   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Buy the DVDs/merchandise. Encourage others to do so as well. They can't see you in the ratings, but they can tell if their product is popular if it sells. It's how they recoup costs on produced shows and encourages them to produce (and encourages them to finance) more.

Further investment requires a return on the initial.

If a show is too old however, recovering that interest may be hard if not impossible.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 01:42   Link #3
Spooky-Electric

Apparently Kanon (2006) is being made because of fan requests that they redo it after seeing the great job KyoAni did with Air.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 02:12   Link #4
Anime Online

I'd say money. If it makes money, I'm sure the anime production company would consider making another season worth of episodes. If it doesn't make money, I don't see how anyone can justify the production of another season, unless the company actually loves losing money.

The best kind of support you can give to your anime series is to vote with your money. All the message board support, email support and word of mouth support means jack to a company if the anime can't make money.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 02:52   Link #5
Bloodseeker

What they said. If you're a fan, buy the DVDs, and possibly other merchandise like wallscrolls or whatever. Show them your appreciation by giving them your money. Money speaks louder than any fanmail.

You can also help by spreading the word. The only way that someone like me who doesn't really care about the opinions of most critics and who doesn't spend all of his time watching random anime knows to check out an anime series is when I see people talking about it. When people are constantly talking about a certain show and giving it high praises, I usually add it to my netflix queue or download it, and if I really like it, I buy the DVD as soon as possible. There are plenty of other people like me, so if you really like a show, don't stay silent about it, recommend it when people are looking for recommendations, partake in discussions about it when the topic comes up, and bring it up in the various tournaments and general discussions that always seem to pop up on anime forums. That way, more people will learn about it and hopefully get curious enough to check it out and eventually buy the DVDs.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 14:05   Link #6
w00tix

Thanks for the info...

The general cencus seems to be to buy the DVDs, but for shows that are not lisenced in the USA or anything, it'd be pointless for myself to do. But, I understand, and I suppose I'll be buying some wallscrolls and action figures and heck, maybe some DVDs (For the hell of it) to support the shows I'd like to see more of and/or get lisenced.

Before I made this thread, somthing I thought about would be to make a petition type website reflecting what shows you'd like more of...although it'd probably have to have a very, very large clientbase in order to get even the slightest recognition so thats out...

I've been hoping for a second season of Suzuka for a while now
w00tix is offline   Reply With Quote