AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 4 8.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 15.56%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 8.89%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 28.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 17.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 8.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 4.44%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-24, 17:41   Link #21
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
True Tears had shitty pacing too though.
I don't think it was that bad, but that's a topic suited for elsewhere. But it was definitely troublesome near the end. I'd say someone loves to start threads that lead nowhere, which makes the narrative watered down, and it's definitely a huge issue-- this episode being one example. So yea, I'm not too fond of the pacing in any of their works that much.

But I won't say that much, since I have no idea what to do when Okadamania runs wild on me.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-24, 19:54   Link #22
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
But I won't say that much, since I have no idea what to do when Okadamania runs wild on me.
Remind yourself of Gosick and Fractale. Or If you want to really be masochist, Kodomo no Jikan.

Anyways about this ep... yeh. Minko's expression sums up what I thought about the episode. Enishi is portrayed to be just as fail and pathetic as Jiro here. Not to mention, the whole movie being a scam was annoying. And Management Consultant fanservice.... DO NOT WANT. The best part of the episode (or should I say the only good part) was the phone call with Satsuki. Next episode please.
Old 2011-07-24, 20:03   Link #23
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Remind yourself of Gosick and Fractale. Or If you want to really be masochist, Kodomo no Jikan.

Anyways about this ep... yeh. Minko's expression sums up what I thought about the episode. Enishi is portrayed to be just as fail and pathetic as Jiro here. Not to mention, the whole movie being a scam was annoying. And Management Consultant fanservice.... DO NOT WANT. The best part of the episode (or should I say the only good part) was the phone call with Satsuki. Next episode please.
...why not?
Old 2011-07-24, 20:07   Link #24
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...why not?
Because its fanservice from a character I could careless about. Also the cleavage size was way out of proportion... like a lot of anime portray... ugh.
Old 2011-07-24, 20:17   Link #25
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Because its fanservice from a character I could careless about. Also the cleavage size was way out of proportion... like a lot of anime portray... ugh.
I don't get why we can't have eye candy from characters that aren't necessarily our fave.

And they weren't THAT out of proportion.
Old 2011-07-24, 20:25   Link #26
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
And they weren't THAT out of proportion.
Perhaps but mediocre fanservice of an ugly character just doesn't work. Edit: Note that you had to say "THAT"

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-24, 20:34   Link #27
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Holy fucking shit this episode was patronizing.

Can someone on their production committee honestly tell me with a straight face that is quality entertainment? This is awful.

Oh hey, we had an opportunity to make Enishi's quest to try and better the inn provide solid character development! Nah dawg, we couldn't possibly develop a male character in this anime could we? Shit, so how we do we avert this crisis?

OH I KNOWZ, I HAZ A PLAN. Lets scrap everything that happened in the previous episode and make the characters look ridiculously stupid at the same time! YAY!!!!

I seriously would love to know why the fucknig hell PA works doesn't use the director for the first episode to do the entire series because clearly these other idiots don't know what they are doing.

So apparently Hanasaku Iroha can only be entertaining when it focuses on Ohana. Great. This anime has one character truly worth caring about.

This episode is trash. This series is slowly degrading into trash.

1/10 for the episode, I am planning on a 6/10 for the series. It's just not good. I don't look forward to its episodes anymore. I was bored as hell this episode.

Is this really what PA works has to offer? I don't think I'm watching another one of their animes ever again unless I really hear good things about it. Besides True Tears, they've pretty much been a garbage studio. GG.
Old 2011-07-24, 21:08   Link #28
Pocari_Sweat

After thinking on it, I realised that Nako's arc is up which is another 2-3 eps. Unfortunately I don't care much about the character so that will be another 2-3 eps gone. Then I realised every character has gotten an arc, and Minko being a major character means she's likely to get one too, so that's another 2-3 eps, which leaves the final arc (likely Ohana and conclusion) as the only one I really care about. The thought made me rage to the point I am putting the series on hold and waiting other people's receptions.

/ragequit
Old 2011-07-24, 21:13   Link #29
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Wow uh... damn the series has been in a bit of a downward slide for three episodes now...
Old 2011-07-24, 21:14   Link #30
Knightrunner

I'm just glad to watch some Yuina scenes and how she tried to warn and defend her rival inn.

*awww zombies* *runs off*
Old 2011-07-24, 21:42   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Getting Yuina back in the massage chair lifts this to 7/10. And that's generous.

Honestly, some of the laziest writing Okada-sensei has ever done. I hope she's not involved with the weekly scripting of this series or my world is severely shaken.
Old 2011-07-24, 22:33   Link #32
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Honestly, some of the laziest writing Okada-sensei has ever done. I hope she's not involved with the weekly scripting of this series or my world is severely shaken.
Okada has written the scripts for the first four episodes and the Tokyo/Satsuki arc. These past two episodes have been written by Junji Nishimura who also wrote the episode where Ohana was sick.

Echoing the sentiments that this week's episode was subpar. It just lacked the something special that the series has usually captured well. Maybe it's Enishi and maybe it's something else. I just hope this cour finds its hook soon.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2011-07-24, 23:07   Link #33
deadite

anyone betting Jiro actually wrote something really good?
Old 2011-07-24, 23:35   Link #34
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Okada has written the scripts for the first four episodes and the Tokyo/Satsuki arc. These past two episodes have been written by Junji Nishimura who also wrote the episode where Ohana was sick.

Echoing the sentiments that this week's episode was subpar. It just lacked the something special that the series has usually captured well. Maybe it's Enishi and maybe it's something else. I just hope this cour finds its hook soon.
Ah, that makes sense. Mari Okada's the equivalent of Ohana-- the show turns to shit without her.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-24, 23:52   Link #35
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Ah, that makes sense. Mari Okada's the equivalent of Ohana-- the show turns to shit without her.
Okada's writing has always been uneven. Look at CANAAN and Fractale, not to mention any of her attempts at anime-original arcs on adaptations. While she can do some things extraordinarily well (structuring of individual episodes, adaptation, and the emotional character moments. She's a fantastic episode writer on melodramatic material, and she's well versed in literature), plot and character development are usually superficial and awkwardly handled.

At any rate, Okada's in charge of the concept and outline for each episode, so she's ultimately responsible for the outcome as well. While work may be delegated, each sub-writer works according to her specifications (which include how characters are portrayed and developed).
Old 2011-07-24, 23:56   Link #36
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Eh?! The arc just ends like this?!
In the end, Waka was really just a Baka. A lame guy all the way around. I guess this arc tries to show that he is at least a little less lame than before, but he's still so lame, I don't see much different.
First time I learned his name was Enishi. I think there was a Yugioh card called that. Six Samurai - Enishi?

Takako was... Well, not any more likable than before. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Man, I have to be honest. I'd sooooooo take a True Tears-style Ko/Ohana/Tooru love triangle over this. I really would.
Give it up. Despite advertising that this would be the successor to True Tears, it clearly isn't even in the same genre.
*sigh*
Just buy the collection set for TT. It's only around 30 dollars for every episode here. (Nice deal!)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2011-07-25, 00:08   Link #37
ChairmanMeow
Great Helmscat

I was really hoping that these two episodes about Enishi would make me like him more. It seemed like it too, especially with him manning up to Satsuki, but then afterwards with Takako...urgh. Have lost respect for pretty much most male characters in this anime aside from Ren and Beanman. I am giving Jiro another chance, but after this "highlight" on Enishi, I doubt it'll be any good even if he gets another one.
Old 2011-07-25, 00:14   Link #38
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Give it up. Despite advertising that this would be the successor to True Tears, it clearly isn't even in the same genre.
And it's clearly not on the same level either.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-25, 00:48   Link #39
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Way out of proportion is a perfectly good thing~

It's not like you got anything else worth noting in the past two episodes anyway.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2011-07-25, 02:37   Link #40
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Oh hey, we had an opportunity to make Enishi's quest to try and better the inn provide solid character development! Nah dawg, we couldn't possibly develop a male character in this anime could we? Shit, so how we do we avert this crisis?

OH I KNOWZ, I HAZ A PLAN. Lets scrap everything that happened in the previous episode and make the characters look ridiculously stupid at the same time! YAY!!!
Actually, Enishi's character does develop this episode - he demonstrates a sense of responsibility for his actions. That's generally a well respected trait, probably even more so in Japan then the west. The problem is that it gets overshadowed by the pool scene, which hams up his pathetic side.

(The scam is also too obvious to the audience, although that's a relatively minor issue from my perspective).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
At any rate, Okada's in charge of the concept and outline for each episode, so she's ultimately responsible for the outcome as well. While work may be delegated, each sub-writer works according to her specifications (which include how characters are portrayed and developed).
The concept was actually pretty good IMO aside from the pool scene. I think Okada's intention with that was just to provide a thematic tie to the scene with his sister in the pool earlier on - unforunately the very nature of the scene is a melodrama magnet, and it appears the episode writer couldn't resist its lure. Hence the point of the arc got overshadowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I always feel like the odd one out when I say that I more or less expected what we got from the ads, and and was pumped for what I was seeing. The result has been more uneven and a bit less polished than I'd like, but its more or less what I was wanting all along and something I've looked forward to with great anticipation and enjoyed almost every week.

Of course, it probably helps that I have a lot of faith in Okada delivering a great finishing arc to this show- hey, my faith in getting a good end of first cour arc was not misplaced. Much easier to enjoy the quirky comedy episodes when I'm sure the show will get the the drama in good time. Course, I dig the show's sense of humour and I get the impression a number of posters here don't.

As for this particular episode, you've probably gathered I think its obviously flawed. I disagree with those that say its pointless though, since it actually does establish some of Enishi's personality, and I'm pretty sure he'll play a role in the finale, what with being the successor and all. I also have to admit that I enjoyed this episode far more than its objective merits probably warrent - I was in a great mood after this, thanks to Minko and Tomoe's expressions among other things.

(On enjoyment vs. objective traits - while objectively this is probably the show's weakest episode thus far, I actually enjoyed it more than episode 15, which left me feeling that the writers really needed to start playing the "Ohana wins the day" card less often.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Closed Thread