AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-10-09, 06:10   Link #141
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Hard to predict, but i would say space colonization would probably begin around that period.

Drinking water is no problem, plenty of currently applied technology to purify them to the point where it's too pure to drink (see NEWater) and it's cheaper than desalination technology. I know since i m in the industry

Oil shortage would be real threat though but the last few years, we have seen a lot of push for alternative energy so that should be solved or atleast we ll be less dependent on oil.
Old 2008-10-09, 06:11   Link #142
Paladinoras
Pancakes

I would be old, really old, and as the ozone layer is already gone, I prolly would die of skin cancer. Of course, by that time, I wouldn't want to live anyway .. .

Unless of course, Japanese scientists create a giant GUNDAM THAT SECRETES OZONE!!!

Wishful thinking. . .

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 07:33   Link #143
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

As feminists continue to push for equal rights, gender roles will become increasing blurred, resulting in unprecedented levels of excommunication between the sexes. Creations such as the Persocons found in Chobits will become prevalent to satisfy lonely individuals.
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 08:55   Link #144
JMvS
Rawrrr!

The main problem of water is not DRINKING water (altough a lot of people in the world are in dire need of it now), but the fact that producing food requires a LOT of it. Same for industries.

Growing a kg of wheat or maize requires evaporating hundreds of liter. That's not a big problem when you do it in a very rainy area, but it becomes one when most of the water is "imported", be it an oasis or a river. Such things made the Aral Sea, The Dead Sea and the Colorado Delta vanish into sand and salt. So in the future agriculture will have to be rethinked in these areas, and cities like Las Vegas will go back to sand, unless it manage to turn itself into a closed biome...

As our diet relies heavily on cheap oil, be it for transportation, fertilizer and machines, it will have to change: we will not import lamb from NZ anymore, and banana's and oranges will become again luxury goods.
It will be the end of supersized, mechanized monocultures. The conventional farming methods will be replaced by "new" techniques inspired by the one of the past. A lot of people will go back to the fields, in human sized integrated polycultures.

If the climate stabilizes in a warmer state, Canada and Russia are likely to become endless farmlands, and perhaps the Arctic Ocean will become a huge population basin.

Also, ocean farming will have to be develloped, with Oceanic (floating? underwater?) City-States blooming in favorable areas.

As shipping will become more expensive due to the end of cheap oil, industries will have to relocalize. People will rely heavily on public transportation in urban areas, and personal vehicles in rural areas will run on biogaz or derivatives. I think optimized combustion engines will still be powering cars, at least outside of cities.

I think IT are moving too fast nowaday for it's 50 year future to be accurately predicted (as most SF failed to predict PC and internet...).
Old 2008-10-09, 09:19   Link #145
Amray

Some Japanese scientist will use adolescent girls against their own will to conduct an experiment to make a new popular and successful species.....Catgirls. Then soon after they will take control of the whole world as they will be sold and bought by people all over Asia and also many western countries as they are also full of catgirl fans. These catgirls will start to take over in a matter of months and be in control with their natural cat instincts and abilities. They will rule over natural humans, reproduce, and use humans as their pets and slaves.

Their weaknesses: Milk, curtains, and balls of cotton wool. Remember this people, for the good of mankind ... although I will still buy one anyway.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 09:26   Link #146
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

I rather envision the world as it's portrayed in the film Babylon A.D. (the fact that a far-reaching, powerful world religion basically gave up pursuing the main character after they lost a freakin' car chase notwithstanding): A colorful, shiny America filled with techno-wizardry and even-more-rampant commercialization, and a beacon of hope and plenty that only barely conceals the fact that it's become a police state in an obviously very unstable time. The rest of the world would be at wild extremes, with Western Europe and East Asia probably the closest to the aforementioned vision of America, and other places more like where the film starts.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 01:28   Link #147
othera

War: The entire world will be fighting for no reason still.
Technology: We will still be waiting for flying cars etc, we probably will eventualy hit a wal in technology that we will never pass.

@amray, i dont care if they announce that they are evil, im buying one.
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 06:26   Link #148
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
nothing.

We will be orbiting our desolate world, united as one, the personalisation of God itself.

Well, we should be, if it wasn't for Shinji, that *****

Old 2008-10-10, 09:46   Link #149
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

The icecaps will melt, flooding the entire world. 90% of the humanity dies off, the others just live their lives, as the water level rising slowly. After a hundred years of silence, a secret project make incredible technological jump, by inventing terraforming and gravity control. Then they "re-terraform" Earth, then they save humanity. City-states emerge, all of them controlled by the world goverment. They start terraforming other planets. There'll peace, as thanks to the great slap to their faces - the great flood - humanity finally grows up, and we'll be a peace-loving, space-faring race.
And probably fighting with... ALIENS!
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 04:20   Link #150
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

There'll be an alien invasion, but we'll beat them back through the Power of Music, and the Power of LOVE! Oh wait...

How very deculture.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to becoming a mech pilot, one can dream, right?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 04:27   Link #151
XenophunK
INACTIVITY

Send a message via MSN to XenophunK
I'll probably be dead, and have nothing to remember me by.
Old 2008-10-11, 06:38   Link #152
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
There'll be an alien invasion, but we'll beat them back through the Power of Music, and the Power of LOVE! Oh wait...

How very deculture.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to becoming a mech pilot, one can dream, right?
Rofl
I to look froward to being a mech pilot if that ever happens
Old 2008-10-11, 06:42   Link #153
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Well, one thing seems to be firmly believed by some scientists as what will happen 50 years from now; The existence of androids and nanotechnology as we imagine them to be in how we believe they should function.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 06:52   Link #154
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, right. I'm still waiting for my jetpack.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 07:27   Link #155
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, right. I'm still waiting for my jetpack.
What? It's already invented. They showed it during some football match or something. It was -really- working.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 08:07   Link #156
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
What? It's already invented. They showed it during some football match or something. It was -really- working.
For what? Minutes? Seconds?

We still have a long way to jetpacks and flying cars as reliable transportation devices.
Old 2008-10-11, 08:09   Link #157
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

In 50 years, I'll be the Grand Immortal Overlord of the World, submit to me now and you shall be spared upon the day of reckoning.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 18:01   Link #158
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
In 50 years, I'll be the Grand Immortal Overlord of the World, submit to me now and you shall be spared upon the day of reckoning.
Tssk! The World! That's such small scale! I'd aim for the multiverse!