AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-12-20, 03:28   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Do you ever watch animes for reasons such as these? (Read OP)

When I watch movies and buy movies, I go for quality movies. When I buy video games and play video games, I go for the cream of the crop and what interests me the most.

But anime...haha, in recent years, it has become that most anime I buy and watch, the decision to buy and/or watch an anime is mainly influenced by certain characters/certain types of characters I find appealing. For example, I become very interested in animes with kemonomimis. I'll also check out shows if I find out about a female character (or characters) that I find appealing, or I'll also check out a show if I find out about a trap character (or characters) that I end up liking. If such characters don't sell me on a series, they'll at least get me to read up on a series and maybe check out some video clips.

I'll also sometimes be drawn to shows if they are an ecchi show and I'll be drawn to some shows with yuri in them, perhaps with a couple that appeals to me or perhaps something like the show being yuri-centric.

So...who here watches animes based on things such as these? It could be different yet similar reasons, such as being drawn to a series because of certain male characters or liking something with male/male relationships rather than yuri. Who here will get very interested in shows for reasons such as these, as opposed to things like the merits of a shows plot, or character growth and development, or the musical score and visual aesthetics, etc.? Does this happen with you a lot? Sometimes? Hardly ever?

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2014-12-26 at 20:00.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 03:34   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I find I tend to enjoy series that have both, if possible. In other words, it is not an either/or but more of a both/and.

Still, I tend to enjoy series focusing on stories, world building, character development, etc., etc. more % wise. But stories with primarily fan service or wish fulfillment or what not tend to become boring quickly for me.

Of course these are very broad generalizations here. ^^
Old 2014-12-20, 05:20   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Flower, if you could, please, modify my thread title and where it says 'fulfillment', put 'wish fulfillment' there instead (make sure to have the two words between apostrophes).
Old 2014-12-21, 21:14   Link #4
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Wish Fulfilment? I'm too old for that.

I watch anime with a good story, characters and something that will entertain me,no matter if it's ecchi or something serious.
Old 2014-12-22, 00:03   Link #5
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Yeah, I don't really do any of that with anime or manga. It's simply a story medium for me.

Video games is where that demand lies.
Need to have some element of interaction to role play or self-insert.
Old 2014-12-22, 22:39   Link #6
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
While this is only tangentially related to the thread, every time I see wish-fulfillment thrown at a show and especially as a criticism, I can't help but think people are either looking too much into things or maybe I'm just unobservant. Like, I barely make anything of random harem protagonist 9,001 getting all the girls and usually complain about the lack of character if anything.

That said, I suppose a lot of feel good shows would qualify as wish-fulfillment, and I tend to gravitate toward them more, though that isn't the same as enjoying. Some of best series I've come across are hardly what I'd call comforting. Just really depends on how well (or not) it's written.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 23:21   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My reply is similar to Akuma Kinimoto's.

I tend to like feel good shows (think "healing anime"), but I'm not sure if "wish fulfillment" is a good way to describe why I like those shows. I just find them nice and uplifting, basically.

I mean, there's not many anime characters that I relate so deeply with that I could actually live vicariously through them. I don't sort of step into a lead character's shoes, and imagine myself living what that character is living. So something like harem rarely has that wish fulfilling effect for me.
Old 2014-12-23, 00:27   Link #8
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Nope, I don't. I don't wish to be any character I've ever read or seen. Nor am I out for vicarious thrills or to endear those pushing for such ends.

Cosplay is a major embodiment of wish fulfillment as well. I'm not into that either.
Old 2014-12-23, 22:40   Link #9
itisjustme

The only anime wish I want fulfilled is for all those cutesy moemoe lolis with the intolerable 7 years old voice doing cute things look at me I'm so kawaii!! teehee to all DIE. :P

Seriously though what the OP describes doesn't sound like wish fulfillment at all. What normal male doesn't like yuri anyway.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-23, 22:49   Link #10
Ghiest Cid

Rather than certain world, I want to be outside dimensions and outside time.
Ghiest Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-23, 23:16   Link #11
HereticMagus

well, there is a wish fulfilment aspect to every form of entertainment, imo. but that said, i do watch anime for wish fulfilment, but ultimately, i think i enjoy something that has a bit more to it than that.

I don't watch ecchi at all, so I wouldn't know. But there are cases where I am repulsed by wish fulfilment, for example, I couldn't stand Mahouka(I even tried 5 volumes of LN to see if I could get on the bandwagon) though I very much liked Chrome shelled Regios which is pretty much on the same page. Perhaps it is because there is a line between wish fulfilment and a plain deus ex machina character. I wouldn't want to put myself in the shoes of a person who has a solution to everything, godhood is a rather boring place to be in. But a persevering knight in shining armour on the other hand...

what is the definition of wish fulfilment here anyway?
HereticMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-26, 19:41   Link #12
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I did not understand the proper definition or meaning of 'wish fulfillment'. I have altered the OP and will get a mod to modify the thread title.
Old 2014-12-27, 17:35   Link #13
Fizix
Nitpicking

Nope, I tend to watch anime for the same reasons I consume any other medium of entertainment. I want interesting worlds, characters and plots. Anime is one of the many mediums I can consume for that.
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 18:54   Link #14
cleo

Mostly I decide to watch a series based on story. But there are also certain studio's, directors and VA's who's work I follow. I think the only time a single character got me more interested in a show was Tiger & Bunny, with Tiger being a single parent. So I think that, unlike OP, I'm more drawn in by characters that are a-typical.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 08:09   Link #15
lmw

Yes, I do it all the time. Certain character designs, seiyuu, yuri (well, usually undertones), themes, studios/staff members among other stuff. It usually works out I'd say, but I'm not very picky anyway.

Last edited by lmw; 2014-12-29 at 10:22.
lmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 11:18   Link #16
IceHism

Characters don't attract me to a story. That's based more on themes, staff list, VA, and how far the story synopsis can go.

You can't really find if a story has good so and so until you actually watch it anyways.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 12:22   Link #17
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I'll be drawn to some shows with yuri in them, perhaps with a couple that appeals to me or perhaps something like the show being yuri-centric.
This has become pretty much my requirement for shows revolving around relationships nowadays. I've grown way too tired of heterosexuality and male protagonists in media. I will still watch shows/anime/movies which have the above two things but only if it is absolutely amazing and the relationship part is pretty insignificant. From the New World is a good example of this.

I also endured a show if there was one character in it that I really liked. I watched the entire Inuyasha(final season and some of the previous one) only because Kikyo was in it. More often than not, characters are enough to draw me in.
Old 2014-12-29, 19:22   Link #18
Ghiest Cid

My category is how likable the mc and the other's attitudes. If they are unjustly violent to the mc then I stop watching.
Ghiest Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-30, 23:31   Link #19
relentlessflame

*Administrator

For me, in all forms of entertainment, I tend to go for "instant appeal" at least in tandem to things like reputation, recommendation, apparent-quality, and so on. With anime in particular, characters are pretty important, and I'll tend to pick anime that have character designs and general patterns I like rather than "risking it" by watching everything that's out there and hoping to strike gold. In general, I suppose I might say that it hasn't led me too far astray yet, but at the same time, I literally won't know what I'm missing. For that, I tend to keep an eye on a small group of people who I know have similar tastes so that I can benefit from knowing the things they feel are worth their time. Still, though, that group is inherently biased too.

In the end, I think the most important thing is understanding the factors that play into your own personal enjoyment and doing whatever you can to amplify that. If that means checking out every anime with a cute tsundere lead heroine because it just never gets old, then great. If it's avoiding all those same for the total opposite reason, it seems to me the key is using that knowledge of yourself to make wise choices.