AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-16, 12:23   Link #281
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
lol, you're mistaking pretty backgrounds with good animation.
even tho it might look pretty, they're being cheap-asses on animation. ( well, in some aspects anyway ). haven't you noticed for example how most of the shots are stills, where the characters mouths aren't shown at all, or where the background is just some cheap effect? those are all methods animators use to lower production cost.
I'd rather have good backgrounds and tricks then just poor animation. Of course storyline is king...
Old 2007-10-16, 12:59   Link #282
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Ep 2:

....Good Lord. Watching SHAFT's take on ef is literally a [beep]in' acid trip.

Seriously, they really need to cut that kind of cinematography out. It suits SZS perfectly, but for a VN adaptation.....it sends conflicting messages that just confuses me no end. Am I supposed to immerse myself in the story, or am I supposed to sit back and look at the story unfold with a detached manner?

All the funky art, the fishbowl lens effect, and the scene switching is giving me a headache. Plus, hearing Chihiro's voice is akin to hearing a metal blade scraping across a metal surface; I simply cannot concentrate when both my eyes AND my ears are overloaded like this. What makes it worse is that I can see that SHAFT is actually capable of great animation; that sky looks like it can compete with KyoAni's rendering in AIR (TV).

In any case, I'll stick with this because the plot remains interesting, but the way SHAFT is handling it....let's just say that as far as I'm concerned, this is rapidly going down "needs KyoAni remake" lane for me. I simply can't enjoy this as much as I thought I would.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 13:14   Link #283
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
lol, you're mistaking pretty backgrounds with good animation.
even tho it might look pretty, they're being cheap-asses on animation. ( well, in some aspects anyway ). haven't you noticed for example how most of the shots are stills, where the characters mouths aren't shown at all, or where the background is just some cheap effect? those are all methods animators use to lower production cost.
Cheap does not equal bad. I don't care a bit if they are able to lower production costs while still producing good animation and beautiful frames. Technique is one thing. Art is another.

As far as the backgrounds and framing are concerned, they are not just "pretty" but actually "beautiful," in my opinion.

And by the way: Vive L'Empereur!
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 14:58   Link #284
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Haha SHAFT sticking in the SZS ref in epi 2

I like the backgrounds in this whether people view it cheap or not, its different and very well done in my opinion.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 15:15   Link #285
radical_dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Ep 2:

In any case, I'll stick with this because the plot remains interesting, but the way SHAFT is handling it....let's just say that as far as I'm concerned, this is rapidly going down "needs KyoAni remake" lane for me. I simply can't enjoy this as much as I thought I would.
Actually, I can do without anymore KyoAni moefests. They're good, but good animation does not equal a good show, and vice versa.

Personally, I really like the artistic style of the show (the only reason why I checked it out). Some of the cuts and angles are a little strange, admittedly, but that's only because it breaks with conventions of what we the viewers expect to see in an animation. Motion remember is only one part of the image, and not necessarily the best or most important part, depending on one's pov. I don't know if they'll be able to maintain the art for art's sake style for the entire show, at least until the final episode, but right now, it along with the music and somewhat decent story (not a romance fan) is what's keeping me watching.
radical_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 15:20   Link #286
Tiberium Wolf

I have watched both rlsed eps. Man all those still images plus all those in black and white or with just 1 color are a major turn off for me.
Old 2007-10-16, 16:37   Link #287
ayukanon45
Doujin Music Composer

Send a message via MSN to ayukanon45
you people sound like the only thing you ever watch is fast paced action crap like naruto, come on, kanon didnt have a lot of color alot, mostly is was blue and white
ayukanon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 17:03   Link #288
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Fast paced and still shots have next to nothing to do with one another. (Seriously, one refers to pacing of the show and second to animation quality). I don't know where the color comment comes from, as that particular complaint was directed at the 'artistic images' shaft tends to insert every now and then. Lastly, your comment about Kanon is false.
Old 2007-10-16, 17:08   Link #289
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Just thought I'd randomly post in here and relay my infinite love for Shaft, Shin Oonuma, and this series so far. The animation is amazing, as expected from Shaft, as well as all the "little things" they throw in there, such as the Touhou game w/ Lucky Star characters.
Old 2007-10-16, 17:26   Link #290
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I'm still wondering about that basketball scene in the second episode..
Old 2007-10-16, 18:39   Link #291
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
While at times the art seemed to be a bit crazy the story has been good to follow. Feel for Chihiro, that's one serious problem. As thought it was a memory problem, only being 'you' for 13 hours. No wonder she writes a lot so she can spend time figuring out what she's been doing. Maybe getting a camera so she doesn't need to confirm his identity would be good.

Nice bit with Kei waking up Hirono. At least she tried some simple methods before resorting to brute force. Plus a nice talk on the roof with him and Miyako.
Old 2007-10-16, 19:26   Link #292
Keruri
Like a falling star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace View Post
fly high make it
yet to the new word that i see
some day read my lewd lips

don't look back to the sorrow i left behind
he's my real intonation lie high
i wish you were here and so shall at met my side
eat to be join up to swallow my pride

i have been the killer for my armstripe
to give your love here come the love

in life take it
for me to find yourself in
shining please fill with wishes
fly high make it
yet to the new word that i see
some day so i believe

http://nnl1.com/etc/ef2-op.ogg

And many kittens on the earth have just exploded. I look forward to the fansubs of episode 2 to see how they'll interpret this wreck.
Conclave/Mendoi's version (OMFG, that font with the feathers was INCREDIBLE.... must have) was almost scarily close to the version I wrote. I'm fairly confident that the majority of these lyrics are correct due to that. I'll post my take below:

Fly high, make it, get to the new world that I see
Someday we'll finally meet

Don't look back to the sorrow I left behind
It's my real intention I hide
I wish you were here
It's all joined up at my side*
Need to be strong enough to swallow my pride**

I have been looking for my own star
To give your love, here come the love

Here I'm taking
Promise to find, yes I will
Shining, we're filled with wishes***

Someday, so I believe....

*GAH, this line threw me for a loop. I thought "joined up" was "jumbled" until I realized that the former would make more sense given the proceeding line. The Conclave-Mendoi version uses "joined up".

**Gramatically incorrect, I know. I initially believed it was "to swallow my pride" as GipFace wrote. However, I began second guessing myself after "solve all my problems". The Conclave-Mendoi version is the same as the latter. "We two be joined up" is what they use for the first line.

***I hate these three lines. "taking" sounds so much like "take it" that I'm second guessing myself. The final line of these three is driving me crazy; it almost sounds like "we fill", "wings" or "dreams filled", which it very well could be. I really don't see it as "wheat field" as Conclave-Mendoi used, however.

I was so afraid that I terribly butchered these, but got the courage to post after seeing the fansub. I'm excited for the full version/lyrics/karaoke.

Last edited by Keruri; 2007-10-24 at 11:10. Reason: Made another change.
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 20:13   Link #293
Ultenth

Wow, wasn't sure after ep 1, but ep 2 was awesome, loved the art style and the really cool art direction. Interesting story so far, definitely a must watch for the new season in my opinion.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 20:44   Link #294
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Ah, finally. I was surprised that nobody mentioned the ED karaoke at all. I explicitly requested to have feathers in the effect to correspond with the title of this show, and I got to say the person who's responsible for it did a very nice job.

As for the lyrics, we're just trying to be creative, since there's no way we could make it 100% (or even close) correct anyway. I'm also looking forward to the official lyrics so we'll finally know what the heck she's all singing.

PS The "wheat field" part was an inspiration from CLANNAD. Maybe I listened to "Chiisana Tenohira"'s english version too much.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 21:22   Link #295
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Bleh, the preview for this looked really interesting, and the script has potential, but I've got to agree with Klashi and Ascaloth on this one. The "experimental" visuals are ruining my ability to watch. I think the fundamental problem is that there's no coherent sense to why the visuals happen the way they do. Zetsubou Sensei was done largely in direct homage to old black&white drama/horror movies. There the unusual art style is oriented towards reproducing the feel of those old films. These two eps, I can't see any theme to the effects at all. It reminds me of a bad AMV, where the person composing the visuals had no clue when to stop throwing in random effects.

Ep2 was more consistent than Ep1, but still... it's like a buffet line of whatever visual stuff they happened to feel like doing. There's this thing I do sometimes when watching visually impressive but entirely too random video... I play it on fast-forward and shout out whatever pops into my head as the stuff goes by. Applying this to the sequence from 5:13 to 5:40
Colorized live action! A violin! Black&white is cool! Stars.... EYEBALL!!!
The sequence is like a visual representation of someone with Tourette's and ADD.
Two scenes where the motion was painful to watch:
4:27 Where Kei runs offscreen, something is very wrong with her leg motion.
11:04-11:12 I think this seven seconds only uses 5 frames total of barely animated footage. Looks like he's vibrating in place.

I think I'm going to have to stop watching this because the more I look at it, the more I want to MST it. It's just begging for a parody sub (consisting largely of what the director was really thinking). And now I'm wondering if Chihiro's patch contains a secret a la Air Gear... switch it to her other eye and her memory starts working, but she turns into a psychotic she-devil! Gah, I have to stop watching this.
Old 2007-10-16, 21:26   Link #296
Keruri
Like a falling star

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
Ah, finally. I was surprised that nobody mentioned the ED karaoke at all. I explicitly requested to have feathers in the effect to correspond with the title of this show, and I got to say the person who's responsible for it did a very nice job.
Very much so. It turned out beautifully! I certainly need to find out how to do that effect for aegisub. It was really stunning against the background here.

Quote:
As for the lyrics, we're just trying to be creative, since there's no way we could make it 100% (or even close) correct anyway. I'm also looking forward to the official lyrics so we'll finally know what the heck she's all singing.
It sounded pretty darn close to me. Well, I'm extremely biased since my version was so similar. Listening to a theme like this and comparing it to one with little accent such as the first few lines of "Sakura Kimi ni Emu" from D.C. II make you a little impressed. Anyway, I absolutely love the lyrics for Euphoric Field (or what are generally thought to be them) so far. It's going to be a real surprise hearing the full version!

Quote:
PS The "wheat field" part was an inspiration from CLANNAD. Maybe I listened to "Chiisana Tenohira"'s english version too much.
I thought so, but was a little unsure of mentioning it. That's so awesome. XD *KEY fanatic*

I'm getting off topic.
Old 2007-10-16, 22:15   Link #297
Saidin_228

Artistic is good, but imho this is a bit overkill. When it begins to interfere with following the character interactions and storyline, one should draw the line. Planning to give this a couple more eps, but at the moment it looks iffy.

The music IS excellent as expected though...
Saidin_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 22:54   Link #298
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Hmm..I really dont know whether I was pissed or happy at the end of watchin the second episode. I think Ef has a vvery interesting plot going on..and I really want to follow this series..But SHAFT themselves are screwin it up. No doubt that their animation is pretty high quality..but their presentation is pretty painful. THe amount of effects they put was actually really irritatiing..and u never even get to look at the characters decently.

How do I put it..SHAFT knows how to get attention..but dont know how to maintain it. This style of presentation was fine with Negima!? or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. But they really need to approach another way of presenting Ef. This is a romance drama..and I frankly wanna get a good look at the characters. The only reason I m sticking to this series is because the plot seems nice...but i dont know how long that will keep me hooked on to this since the presentation gives me a headache
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 07:28   Link #299
dannyfish

Someday we'll finally meet

Don't look back to the sorrow I left behind
It's my real intention I hide
I wish you were here
It's all joined up at my side*
We two be joined up to swallow my pride**

I have been looking for my own star
To give your love, here come the love

Here I'm taking
Promise to find, yes I will
Shining, we're filled with wishes

Someday, so I believe....

I would like to make so changes of the horrible OP....and i am sure it is a GET rather than LOOK or YET
dannyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 10:21   Link #300
Keruri
Like a falling star

Good point; I noticed that a little after I typed my version and edited it. I made another edit this morning because "shining, we're filled with wishes" is somehow sounding like "shining, dreams filled with wishes". I believe it's the former, but I added it into my commentary anyway.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft