AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-04, 13:23   Link #1
marin

Question Which fansub of Kanon is best?

I see three versions of the Kanon TV series at AnimeSuki

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/108.html

And I was wondering which one you think is best.

So far I have noticed that the E-F version has extra large episodes and thus isn't sized to fit onto CDs for some reason...
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 18:04   Link #2
SephirothYuyX
I Am, Who I Am.

Send a message via AIM to SephirothYuyX
Ishin I thought did the best.
SephirothYuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 18:32   Link #3
marin

Thanks!

Hey, what happened to my Poll? There's supposed to be a poll here... do you see it?

I made the poll but then I got a "boards busy" message, did it get deleted during that?
Old 2003-11-04, 18:58   Link #4
Esperchld
Photographer

They are all good.

I collected the EF one myself when it originally came out. However, I don't remember the reason why (though I do remember deleting a bunch of Ishin ones). The DVD rips won't enter my collection as I am not a fan of ripping things from DVD when another source is available (ie. DVDs are for buying not for ripping).
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 20:58   Link #5
frowndog
Poof... time warp

unless you are VERY choosy about your video quality and want DVD rips (R2 DVD rips, Kanon hasn't been licensed) i suggest to go for E-F

even though Kanon was done a few years ago, the video quality was good and the translation job was superb. This is the same translator for Vandread and Hikaru no Go and he does a very good job in Kanon

also, if you're worried about fitting them onto CDs, you could use virtualdub or some other editing program and cut out the openings (not that i would do it, CDs are cheap)
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 06:20   Link #6
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperchld
They are all good.

I collected the EF one myself when it originally came out. However, I don't remember the reason why (though I do remember deleting a bunch of Ishin ones). The DVD rips won't enter my collection as I am not a fan of ripping things from DVD when another source is available (ie. DVDs are for buying not for ripping).
Well just because the source is DVD doesn't mean the fansubs have to be DVD quality. I mean, by definition they aren't, since they are much smaller encodes that fit maybe 4-5 episodes on a single CD, which can't be DVD quality.

I mean the new Kodomo no Omocha fansubs use the DVD source, which isn't as nice as most modern anime on broadcast satellite, but it really helps since the previous sources were of such poor quality.

If it helps keep the filesizes low while preserving quality I don't see what the problem is with using DVD sources.
Old 2003-11-06, 18:29   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
Well just because the source is DVD doesn't mean the fansubs have to be DVD quality. I mean, by definition they aren't, since they are much smaller encodes that fit maybe 4-5 episodes on a single CD, which can't be DVD quality.

I mean the new Kodomo no Omocha fansubs use the DVD source, which isn't as nice as most modern anime on broadcast satellite, but it really helps since the previous sources were of such poor quality.

If it helps keep the filesizes low while preserving quality I don't see what the problem is with using DVD sources.
I think the problem with DVD sources that many people are suggesting is not the fact that using DVD sources is bad to begin with. It's probably the fact that most people doing this are doing it so they can get recognition for their channel by having leechers go oogle-eyed over their "DVD" release. There are rare occasions when someone decided that they really wanted to work on the series and they liked the series enough that they bought the R2 discs.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 22:17   Link #8
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
I thought AnimeInc's version was the best. :X

They used R2 DVDs as source.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 08:48   Link #9
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
I thought AnimeInc's version was the best. :X

They used R2 DVDs as source.

-Tofu
Is this the "AI & A-F" version?
Old 2003-11-08, 11:54   Link #10
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frowndog
unless you are VERY choosy about your video quality and want DVD rips (R2 DVD rips, Kanon hasn't been licensed)
Yeah, I'm afraid that it never will be
Old 2003-11-08, 16:39   Link #11
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
Is this the "AI & A-F" version?
yes, it is

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 16:47   Link #12
7thMethuselah

Ishin all the way
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 03:59   Link #13
marin

Now I'm confused LOL

Oh well... thanks for all your replies!
Old 2003-11-09, 05:28   Link #14
Doddler

Send a message via ICQ to Doddler Send a message via MSN to Doddler
I don't remember what fansub I got... but it really annoyed me at the end. There was a sign (important) and the fansubs said "We will not translate this sign because we feel its a spoiler". It was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Knowing decent japanese, I could read it, and it wasn't that bad. Definately makes the ending alot less sudden. You don't leave things out intentionally because you "don't think people should see it". If the director thought that way, he wouldn't have put it into the show :P

Anyone know which group did this?

Doddler

Last edited by Doddler; 2003-11-09 at 05:39.
Doddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-09, 10:22   Link #15
marin

Heh that reminds me that there was some group that actually added in some spoilers for SaiKano in the form of a full page of text on a black background at the end of Episode 10 or somesuch.

Anyone remember who that was?
Old 2003-11-10, 02:05   Link #16
coteesh

Send a message via AIM to coteesh Send a message via MSN to coteesh Send a message via Yahoo to coteesh
ya

Last edited by coteesh; 2006-04-19 at 23:47.
coteesh is offline   Reply With Quote