Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-21, 08:15   Link #1
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
Contribute to medical research in the name of science!

And no I'm not requesting some test dummies for a new chemical formula that may cause strange side effects such as perminant brain damage. I'm talking about folding proteins!
"FAH is a distributed computing project, the purpose of which is to learn how proteins fold and misfold. By breaking down the process by which proteins are created we can find out what causes them to miscreate or misfold. The hope is that this will lead to future research that can help scientists come up with better treatments/cures for many of todays common ailments. But the most important part of the project is putting together an effective model of how to fold and unfold proteins with supercomputer power.

This is an extremely complicated process that requires awesome amounts of computing power that was virtually unattainable prior to the start of this project. This project harnesses the power of thousands of individual PC's connected to the internet by breaking down the necessary work and allowing those individual computers to work on small pieces of information and then returning the calculated results to stanford university. Once the work is done and returned your computer will automatically get fresh data to calculate. The work is then piece back together at Stanford university. There are results and more information posted on the Folding@Home website at http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/ "

The reason why I posted this here is because I figure alot of you leave your computers on for long periods at a time idle downloading anime from bittorrent. How about lending out a helping hand(and computer) to our good research folk at stanford. This way your spare cpu usage will not go to waste!
In the name of science! Furthermore if you are interested please follow the link above for further information as well as dl the product itself. Thank you for your time!
Closed Thread