Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-29, 21:37   Link #141
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Why not? They've done so in the past.
Yeah that's true --- for some reason i forgot that the french get anything and everything to do with the anime releases these days.

Also, is this being moved to the fansub section?
Old 2008-04-30, 13:59   Link #142
ichobi

Yes, heard of this from a blog sometimes ago. Didn't know it was this great.
Truly masterpiece. Epic. The word won't do anymore. It's a must watch. Awesome voice acting.

However, with the last scene....
Spoiler:
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 14:55   Link #143
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
However, with the last scene....
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-30, 15:58   Link #144
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Good movie, the plot was little thin, but the fights were awesome. I thought it dragged a little in the middle. I wonder why it wasn't as succesful in Japan? Is Jidaigeki unpopular these days?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 16:07   Link #145
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
Good movie, the plot was little thin, but the fights were awesome. I thought it dragged a little in the middle. I wonder why it wasn't as succesful in Japan? Is Jidaigeki unpopular these days?
That basically summarized the semi-long review I wrote on MAL. The reason why it's unpopular is maybe because the plot was a little thin and it dragged in the middle:

Spoiler for Review:

Note that this is a review, which means that it is a biased opinion with a partial rating. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but rather, this is my thoughts about the movie.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 16:42   Link #146
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I pretty much agree with you, the animation and battle sequences themselves were fluid and as good as it gets, they could have improved the story though, doesn't Lone Wolf and Cub share a similiar premise? (Before anyone says anything I haven't seen it, just read a bit about it a while back.) Not to mention a lot of other action movies. I think they could have expanded on the character development of everyone and reduced the amount of time spent on Nanashi and the kid.

Also they should have put in a few more fights in the middle, for instance they could have actually shown the wooden sword fight between the Lord and Blond Haired Guy.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 22:50   Link #147
Eclipze

Quote:
Easy. No prior fan base. A pokemon movie can do well or even top the box office, does that mean that the story was A++ superb? Same goes for Bleach/Naruto movies.

Not many people actually appreciate animation that does not involve huge blasts of energy, fancy ninja techniques or giant mechs. Essentially, the downfall of being an original creation rather than an adaptation.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 06:15   Link #148
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for :
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 05:09   Link #149
Eric10301

Not bad but a bit over rated imo. The action scenes were top notch though.

Spoiler for stranger:
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 05:40   Link #150
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I don't care if the plot is generic really, if it's done THIS well.

I'd imagine it'd be better fleshed out if it's a TV series, but for a movie with all the best visuals they can dish out. Just wow. I thought it was like a slightly more involved version of something like Afro Samurai, which also had pretty awesome animation.

Another plus for Naoki Sato. I heard the Precure/X/Eureka 7 style music a mile away. Awesome.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 08:41   Link #151
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Another plus for Naoki Sato. I heard the Precure/X/Eureka 7 style music a mile away. Awesome.
Yeah, i heard his Eureka Seven style quite a lot in this one. Especially towards the end.

A soundtrack i need to order at some point.
Old 2008-05-18, 01:05   Link #152
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
I pretty much agree with you, the animation and battle sequences themselves were fluid and as good as it gets, they could have improved the story though, doesn't Lone Wolf and Cub share a similiar premise? (Before anyone says anything I haven't seen it, just read a bit about it a while back.) Not to mention a lot of other action movies. I think they could have expanded on the character development of everyone and reduced the amount of time spent on Nanashi and the kid.
If anything, the character Nameless (Stranger) somewhat reminded me of the "Man with No Name", Clint Eastwood's role from A Fistful of Dollars, which in turn is said to be influenced by "Sanjuro", Toshiro Mifune's nameless character from Yojimbo.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 23:29   Link #153
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
I'd imagine it'd be better fleshed out if it's a TV series, but for a movie with all the best visuals they can dish out. Just wow. I thought it was like a slightly more involved version of something like Afro Samurai, which also had pretty awesome animation.
Wouldn't we just have Bones' Rurouni Kenshin if it was a TV series?

The movie as a whole wasn't amazing, but the action scenes definitely were. The final swordfight was probably the most epic melee fight I've ever seen, and the entire last third or so was more catchy than Bleach's Soul Society arcs.

However, the story is a bit generic, but not overly so.

But still, a great watch overall.

EDIT: You know, this is one of the few anime I've highly regarded without having much depth or actual development.

Last edited by qtipbrit; 2008-05-22 at 02:06.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 06:41   Link #154
martino
makes no files now

FYI, this title has been licensed on the 23rd by Bandai Entertainment (source AnimeOnDVD).
Old 2008-05-26, 06:13   Link #155
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Wouldn't we just have Bones' Rurouni Kenshin if it was a TV series?

The movie as a whole wasn't amazing, but the action scenes definitely were. The final swordfight was probably the most epic melee fight I've ever seen, and the entire last third or so was more catchy than Bleach's Soul Society arcs.

However, the story is a bit generic, but not overly so.

But still, a great watch overall.

EDIT: You know, this is one of the few anime I've highly regarded without having much depth or actual development.
I think it's all saved by the weird Chinese Imperial ninjas. Even with the supernatural stuff, I thought it was overtly cliche. But just that it was done very well.

In a way, I think some shonen comparisons are apt. Because you don't always ask for the complicated plot twists from them anyway. And strangely to me, I have that kind of extra-suspension-of-disbelief with all the magical girl anime I follow.
Old 2008-05-27, 14:44   Link #156
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
I think it's all saved by the weird Chinese Imperial ninjas. Even with the supernatural stuff, I thought it was overtly cliche. But just that it was done very well.

In a way, I think some shonen comparisons are apt. Because you don't always ask for the complicated plot twists from them anyway. And strangely to me, I have that kind of extra-suspension-of-disbelief with all the magical girl anime I follow.
What supernatural stuff? There was none. It was pretty normal so it was cool the movie! The fighting was soooo detailed.
Old 2008-05-27, 15:54   Link #157
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

You know, the whole 'calling immortals' and the Chinese Empire having such sway in a war-time Japan thing. And the physical feats can only be described as supernatural for me.
Old 2008-05-27, 16:06   Link #158
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It's also a theatrical release which means you're there to have fun and not watch "War and Peace" so being complicated would not be a good thing.
Old 2008-05-28, 01:19   Link #159
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
You know, the whole 'calling immortals' and the Chinese Empire having such sway in a war-time Japan thing. And the physical feats can only be described as supernatural for me.
I wouldn't call those supernatural. Supernatural would like other movies where we have mystical creatures, magic, etc.
Old 2008-06-10, 16:08   Link #160
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Finally listening to the soundtrack. No surprise at all that this is classic Naoki Sato --- also listening the soundtrack a while after seeing the movie helps me remember all those amazing scenes. Not just the battle ones, though the interaction scenes between Nanashi and Kotarou.

Brilliant score. Sato at it again.

Tags
action, historical