AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-01-27, 22:25   Link #281
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
They were good, but they were not cult soundtracks either and that's probably because previous works set the tone, meaning it's also difficult to replicate that level. Speaking of John Williams, did he ever have any pupils who became movie composers of their own?

If you asked me who'd fit the bill among the currently active composers, I'd have a go with Brian Tyler.
Brian Tyler . . . that's an interesting choice. I can honestly say that I've only seen one or two movies that he has worked on. Action and comic-based movies aren't my forte so I'm not that familiar with them He would be an interesting choice though.

As for whether or not Williams has any proteges none spring to mind other than David Arnold. I'll have to look into that further and get back to you.

I think Harry Gregson-Williams or Hans Zimmer are other possible choices. They both have substantial bodies of work, and are known for creating memorable themes.
Old 2013-01-28, 08:45   Link #282
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Michael Giacchino is my choice if Williams cannot/will not do the music this time around. Rosalena, why are you so against him? He does fantastic work. I'll admit, I don't like his movie stuff nearly as much as I like his video game work. The Medal of Honor scores are unmatched in my time playing video games.

Hans Zimmer's style just doesn't fit with Star Wars, I think. Zimmer is my second favorite composer after Williams (for movies; I don't count Giacchino here because my experience with his music is so heavily weighted towards video games), but I just cannot see him scoring a Star Wars kind of film.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 16:15   Link #283
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Michael Giacchino is my choice if Williams cannot/will not do the music this time around. Rosalena, why are you so against him? He does fantastic work. I'll admit, I don't like his movie stuff nearly as much as I like his video game work. The Medal of Honor scores are unmatched in my time playing video games.
I don't play video games so I can't speak to his work in that area, but I have yet to enjoy watching a movie he has scored. In my opinion, his musical arrangements always seem out of place. His style is too bombastic, too filled with brass instruments, too over-the-top. I might have enjoyed Super 8 (well, except for the fact that it was directed by Abrams) were it not for what I feel was an inappropriate score. And all other problems aside, I would say much the same for his John Carter score. Within ten minutes of that movie I could feel my head already beginning to ache from the unnecessary brass cacophony.

I'm not saying that he's incapable of creating a score that is pleasing to my ears, but I will say that he hasn't done it yet. For that reason I don't want him anywhere near any movies/franchises that I hold dear
Old 2013-01-28, 17:48   Link #284
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I say they get Jedi Mind Trick to do it.
Old 2013-01-28, 19:09   Link #285
Kudryavka

lol I saw this and I'm just wondering, is Leia a disney princess now?? Because they made Brave girl a disney princess. She is going to be coronated at the royal ball in London in summer 2013.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 21:00   Link #286
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
I don't play video games so I can't speak to his work in that area, but I have yet to enjoy watching a movie he has scored. In my opinion, his musical arrangements always seem out of place. His style is too bombastic, too filled with brass instruments, too over-the-top. I might have enjoyed Super 8 (well, except for the fact that it was directed by Abrams) were it not for what I feel was an inappropriate score. And all other problems aside, I would say much the same for his John Carter score. Within ten minutes of that movie I could feel my head already beginning to ache from the unnecessary brass cacophony.

I'm not saying that he's incapable of creating a score that is pleasing to my ears, but I will say that he hasn't done it yet. For that reason I don't want him anywhere near any movies/franchises that I hold dear
Ah, see, I love that kind of orchestrated music.

His video game scores are award-winning and the best I've ever heard. They are brassy at times, as they tend to be something you might hear in a war-epic. However, there is a substantial amount of strings in most pieces. Overall, he does extraordinarily well, in my opinion. I have copies of all his Medal of Honor OSTs and they're some of my most cherished sets (and probably most played on my computer/iPod).

Everyone views things differently, but, for me, if John Williams cannot/will not do Episode VII, I would LOVE for Giacchino to get the nod.

Old 2013-01-28, 22:04   Link #287
james0246

^How about we comprimise and let Giacchino do the video game score
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 22:58   Link #288
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there is always Kevin Kiner, who is the composer on the currently airing Clone Wars series. If anything he has experiance with his own works and works of John Williams within a Star Wars setting.
Old 2013-01-28, 23:51   Link #289
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Ah, see, I love that kind of orchestrated music.

His video game scores are award-winning and the best I've ever heard. They are brassy at times, as they tend to be something you might hear in a war-epic. However, there is a substantial amount of strings in most pieces. Overall, he does extraordinarily well, in my opinion. I have copies of all his Medal of Honor OSTs and they're some of my most cherished sets (and probably most played on my computer/iPod).

Everyone views things differently, but, for me, if John Williams cannot/will not do Episode VII, I would LOVE for Giacchino to get the nod.
Would you mind recommending one or two of his video game scores to me so that I might see what they're like? I'm always willing to expand my horizons. It may be that I simply haven't heard enough of what he's capable of doing. You noted the Medal of Honor OSTS . . . would those be a good starting place?

I'm assuming, of course, that video game scores are available as easily as movie scores are so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
LOL. I'm willing to concede that. Of course you know there are going to be new Star Wars video games galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well there is always Kevin Kiner, who is the composer on the currently airing Clone Wars series. If anything he has experiance with his own works and works of John Williams within a Star Wars setting.
I'm not familiar with him so I peeked at his IMDB listing and it appears that I haven't seen anything for which he has done the music So unfortunately I'm unable to form an opinion. It seems that he has primarily worked in television with a few video games scattered here and there. I honestly can't see them going with someone who has no feature film credits to his name.
Old 2013-01-29, 21:22   Link #290
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
Would you mind recommending one or two of his video game scores to me so that I might see what they're like? I'm always willing to expand my horizons. It may be that I simply haven't heard enough of what he's capable of doing. You noted the Medal of Honor OSTS . . . would those be a good starting place?

I'm assuming, of course, that video game scores are available as easily as movie scores are so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, they're available on YouTube.

Medal of Honor: Frontline's soundtrack is roundly considered his best. Medal of Honor: Underground is a good second option because it has a different feel. The main character in MoH games is usually a male soldier, but in Underground the main character is a female French Resistance member, so the soundtrack is, likewise, quite different.

Here is Frontline's main theme: http://youtu.be/YDb618RaBmo

Here is Underground's main theme: http://youtu.be/J9ZVnmxs30A

I think both soundtracks are entirely on YouTube. I've never looked if EVERY track is available since I own the discs for every one Giacchino has done. I do pull up my favorite tracks often if I don't have my iPod or the discs handy.

These are my favorite tracks off Frontline. If you don't listen to any others, at least listen to one or two of these:

After the Drop:http://youtu.be/iRM-eWWty2g (A sad track)
Arnhem Knights: http://youtu.be/lLiRgNFvfGw (A very sad track; plays during one of the most iconic moments of the MoH games)
Manor House Rally: http://youtu.be/mdIO0aYKZ2E (A much more up-beat track that plays in one of the more fun [if not sometimes frustrating] levels in MoH history)

Like I said earlier, he does use a lot of brass at times and things can pick up to being loud in a hurry, but a lot of that is for the feel of the game. War is, after all, long periods of boredom punctuated by short, frantic moments of terror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
No need to compromise yet.

Of course, I'd love for Williams be able to keep going, but, if he can't, I really, really want Giacchino to get the nod. We'll see. I'm already not liking where the Episode VII development is headed based on who we know is involved, so odds are that I'll be disappointed with the music selection if Williams can't do it. lol

Old 2013-02-02, 21:52   Link #291
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Yeah, they're available on YouTube.

Medal of Honor: Frontline's soundtrack is roundly considered his best. Medal of Honor: Underground is a good second option because it has a different feel. The main character in MoH games is usually a male soldier, but in Underground the main character is a female French Resistance member, so the soundtrack is, likewise, quite different.

Here is Frontline's main theme: http://youtu.be/YDb618RaBmo

Here is Underground's main theme: http://youtu.be/J9ZVnmxs30A

I think both soundtracks are entirely on YouTube. I've never looked if EVERY track is available since I own the discs for every one Giacchino has done. I do pull up my favorite tracks often if I don't have my iPod or the discs handy.

These are my favorite tracks off Frontline. If you don't listen to any others, at least listen to one or two of these:

After the Drop:http://youtu.be/iRM-eWWty2g (A sad track)
Arnhem Knights: http://youtu.be/lLiRgNFvfGw (A very sad track; plays during one of the most iconic moments of the MoH games)
Manor House Rally: http://youtu.be/mdIO0aYKZ2E (A much more up-beat track that plays in one of the more fun [if not sometimes frustrating] levels in MoH history)

Like I said earlier, he does use a lot of brass at times and things can pick up to being loud in a hurry, but a lot of that is for the feel of the game. War is, after all, long periods of boredom punctuated by short, frantic moments of terror.
Thank you for the recommendations! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my request.

After listening to them I will concede that maybe I have been a bit too quick to judge Giacchino's abilities. In particular I enjoyed "After The Drop" and from approximately 3:10 onward of Frontline's main theme. Both of those pieces offered a somewhat softer, more somber feel than what I've come to associate with Giacchino. I'm very glad to know that he can handle those moments as well. "Manor House Rally" was also surprisingly revelatory; it proves to me that he does have more range than I initially thought.

If he can produce something more along the lines of these scores as opposed to Super 8 and John Carter than I think he might do well after all.

Still, I wish he would moderate his use of brass instruments. I realize this is just my own personal opinion, but they tend to fall very harshly on my ears. Listening to the selections you offered made me realize that I have an inherent preference for stringed instruments. I suppose this explains why Nathan Barr is one of my favorite small scale composers
Old 2013-02-02, 22:19   Link #292
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Might not be just his use of brass. It might be a sign the sound editor needs to work on his levels more and learn that you don't need to overpower the music all the time.
Old 2013-02-03, 12:50   Link #293
JagdPanther

Glad I could help.

I am a Giacchino fanboy; I won't lie. But, I respect that everyone has different tastes. I've heard the criticism of Giacchino's style before. Heck, he openly acknowledged it in the lead up to the release of Medal of Honor: Airborne. He said his goal with Airborne was to make an attempt at balancing the tradition of the MoH game soundtracks up until then with addressing some of the criticisms of his style up to then.

Old 2013-02-06, 00:46   Link #294
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

New Spinoff Films Set to Expand the Star Wars Galaxy

http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff...rs-galaxy.html

Quote:
The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

Stay tuned to StarWars.com as more exciting developments unfold.
Rumor mill suggests this movie will be about Yoda. Another about Jabba the Hutt.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...e-434b3486ef8d
Old 2013-02-06, 00:58   Link #295
Felliko

That is pretty crazy news. Still, I can't wait for the new star wars film. I wonder where they will take the story now.
Old 2013-02-06, 01:30   Link #296
james0246

I'm all for standalone films (and games if Disney can make a few). Truthfully, I've never understood why Lucas and company never outsourced the franchise to others in the past. When you have an entire galaxy (or two) to work with, it only makes sense that there be a lot of side stories. I would personally love to see a "Jedi with no Name" type of film, or some regular adventures with a team of smugglers (a little too Firefly?). Alien adventures, human dramas, droid romances. All this and more could be fun. Hell, Disney owns ABC, so how about some Star Wars sitcoms..., the last one was a bit of a joke, though I would love to see some Star Wars television series. There is so much that can be done with this mythos/property, and if you can please even half the fans then you will always be able to make mucho deniro.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 01:57   Link #297
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

With all the EU materials (books, comics, games (both computer and roleplaying), and even TV shows), there is a giant universe for Star Wars now. In the last decade or so I've even started to get lot by the mass of media published, and I use to be on top of everything going up until there started to be something like five or six different storylines being published at once between three or four different eras.

There is the Old Republic (5,000 ~3,000 years before the Battle of Yavin) that is covered in comics and computer games this many different story arcs over a wide period of time. There is the Last Sith Wars something like 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin. There is the Clone Wars-Rise of the Empire era for the prequel series. There is the Rise of the Rebellion and the main story arcs formed around the original trilogy. There is the original EU material following the tales of the Skywalkers and Solos after Return of the Jedi leading towards the third trilogy (which might wipe out all that material). And then there is the 130+ years after the Battle of Yavin tales about the Fel Empire and one of Luke's great-grandsons.

Plus other tales here and there.
Old 2013-02-06, 04:22   Link #298
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I don't know, I could see these spin-offs diluting the franchise. They might be biting off more then they can chew, and if cinema goers get 1 or 2 bad films, Star Wars might be done for good.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 04:26   Link #299
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I don't know, I could see these spin-offs diluting the franchise. They might be biting off more then they can chew, and if cinema goers get 1 or 2 bad films, Star Wars might be done for good.
Superman and Batman had plenty of horrible films. That didn't stop either of them. And from the opinion of Trekkies, only 50% of Star Trek films are any good. Yet they are still around.

Star Wars is already too big to die from one or two failures. I do believe you have nothing to worry about on that front.
Old 2013-02-06, 04:42   Link #300
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Superman and Batman had plenty of horrible films. That didn't stop either of them. And from the opinion of Trekkies, only 50% of Star Trek films are any good. Yet they are still around.

Star Wars is already too big to die from one or two failures. I do believe you have nothing to worry about on that front.
I don't think Superman is a good example. Superman III and IV were so bad that they practically killed the Superman franchise on film, and not even the recent 2006 film was able to revive it.

I don't think bad films could ever kill "Star Wars" as a whole, but it could certainly kill the franchise at the Box Office.

Star Wars is already on shaky ground, with mixed feelings about the prequels, and the Clone Wars film being a moderate success.

If they mess up too many times, Star Wars won't stay the guaranteed money maker it is right now.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars