AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-08, 13:37   Link #41
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFumo View Post
I'm seeing more cons then pros. A single movie means that there's less time to adapt the story. And waiting for a rip that's worth a damn will not be very fun.
Well, it really depends on the length. I know many anime movies are only one and a half hours long, but there is no rule saying it has to be the case. I do believe there shouldn't be a problem fitting Disappearance into a movie, they just had to make use of the end credits by using it for the epilogue.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:40   Link #42
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
I'm seeing more cons then pros. A single movie means that there's less time to adapt the story. And waiting for a rip that's worth a damn will not be very fun.
I think the hope is predominantly that because it is a movie, it will be rendered to a higher standard of quality, exceeding even the standards of the 2006 season. In a holistically satisfying series like Haruhi Suzumiya, the benefits of the studio really perfecting the visuals and music shouldn't be underestimated. Perhaps the story will be condensed, but the core will undoubtedly be presented, and presented very lovingly.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:42   Link #43
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Well, it really depends on the length. I know many anime movies are only one and a half hours long, but there is no rule saying it has to be the case. I do believe there shouldn't be a problem fitting Disappearance into a movie, they just had to make use of the end credits by using it for the epilogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I think the hope is predominantly that because it is a movie, it will be rendered to a higher standard of quality, exceeding even the standards of the 2006 season. In a holistically satisfying series like Haruhi Suzumiya, the benefits of the studio really perfecting the visuals and music shouldn't be underestimated. Perhaps the story will be condensed, but the core will undoubtedly be presented, and presented very lovingly.
Alright, so my previous statement could go either way, but it still doesn't change the fact that the wait will be agonizing.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:43   Link #44
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Yeah, I doubt they'll cut out material to meet a certain time mark. They'll make it as long as necessary (without going overboard, of course). I imagine something closer to a 2 hour mark.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:45   Link #45
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Alright, so my previous statement could go either way, but it still doesn't change the fact that the wait will be agonizing.
The internet is here to comfort you. But in all truth I might just dig into my emergency funds to swing over there and catch a showing when the time comes. We should actually consider perhaps assembling a group to do this, if there are enough people interested and able to make it.

@Heminga: I'm inclined to agree. This is KyoAni's first movie, to my knowledge, and they'll undoubtedly want to make it a masterpiece, on top of the strong awareness they undoubtedly have of how highly regarded Disappearance is as a storyline. The perfection of the piece will come before any other concerns. I believe that.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:45   Link #46
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
We already waited 3 years, what's another 6 months?
(I estimate 6 months because of the Japanese Spring release. The actual time left till release is still unknown.)
Old 2009-10-08, 14:00   Link #47
typhonsentra

Kyoani redeemed? I'm glad they don't plan to half-ass this one. By the way, we'll be waiting longer than 6 months assuming this is a theatrical release guys.....

Remember how long it took to get the Eureka movie and Gurren Laggen?
Old 2009-10-08, 14:07   Link #48
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Kyoani redeemed? I'm glad they don't plan to half-ass this one. By the way, we'll be waiting longer than 6 months assuming this is a theatrical release guys.....

Remember how long it took to get the Eureka movie and Gurren Laggen?
Unlike you examples, which are both remakes of TV series, the Disappearance plot is already established. Especially with the author on-hand.

It really depends on how long they have been working on this film. I suspect it was right after NewType claimed Haruhi season 2 was canceled. (Which would be the middle of last year.)
Old 2009-10-08, 14:11   Link #49
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
A single movie means that there's less time to adapt the story.
100 minutes is 5 episodes without OPs and EDs.
That should really be enough.

And "movie" will almost inevitably mean "Blu-ray". That's a huge pro for me.
Old 2009-10-08, 14:13   Link #50
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

It was the Haruhi website that announced the second season was canceled and a new project was started, but yeah. I'm still pretty sure this was in planning since then.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-10-08, 14:14   Link #51
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Unlike you examples, which are both remakes of TV series, the Disappearance plot is already established. Especially with the author on-hand.

It really depends on how long they have been working on this film. I suspect it was right after NewType claimed Haruhi season 2 was canceled. (Which would be the middle of last year.)
You misunderstand what I'm saying, I'm not talking about delays in release I'm talking about having to wait until the DVD release before we in the west will get fansubs.
Old 2009-10-08, 14:26   Link #52
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Hmm, I would think a lot of people would start trying to learn Japanese just so they don't have to wait as long. Though I guess six months isn't enough to cut it for most people, this movie seems like as good a reason as any to start.

The wait isn't going to bother me. Knowing that it is coming is reassuring. I'm not going to spoil that mood by thinking about how long the wait may or may not be.
Old 2009-10-08, 14:45   Link #53
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

I'm probably going to realize all the downsides and negative stuff about a Disappearance movie being made, but you know what? My copy of Sigh just showed up at my house, and that combined with hearing about this...

SHITYESSHITYESSHITYES

Excuse me. I've got to go learn to do a cartwheel or a backflip or something. It's the only way to fully express my nerdjoy without so many loud, fangirly noises.
Old 2009-10-08, 14:47   Link #54
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Assuming a new season is made following the movie, how many series have had movies that take place in between seasons? And I mean movies that you have to watch before watching the following season(s).

Old 2009-10-08, 14:47   Link #55
Team Rocket Elite

Unless you live in/plan to go to Japan, you'll still have to wait for the DVD even if you know Japanese. I suppose camrips might appear.
Old 2009-10-08, 14:50   Link #56
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Unless you live in/plan to go to Japan, you'll still have to wait for the DVD even if you know Japanese. I suppose camrips might appear.
Said camrips are a desperate last resort. A last resort I will probably end up resorting to, as I am desperate.
Old 2009-10-08, 14:53   Link #57
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Technically this is KyoAni's second movie (Munto 2009 being the first). However they've been known to give movie quality to their TV animations in the past (Haruhi and Kanon). One wonders just what they can do, now, with a movie budget, a good story, and popular as hell characters?
Old 2009-10-08, 14:56   Link #58
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Is it just me or was that just about the blandest lamest trailer humanly possible? I mean we're talking sub-eroge level here as far as actual movement goes.

Well I've been wondering what those jokers at Kyoani have been up to the past month or so and now I have my answer. Kyoani movie eh....cause the last one of those was so good. Forgive me if I fail to summon any more enthusiasm for this franchise at the moment since the trailer does nothing to arouse any sort of anticipation either. It's just a zoom in of a still image with a random midi playing in the background. Sadly that's about the effort I've come to expect out of this franchise now though. They really should have waited about a year before announcing this......
Old 2009-10-08, 14:57   Link #59
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

They certainly should have enough money to give Disappearance a good budget, considering the success of K-On.

Funny thing is, the idea of a Disappearance movie popped up in my head long ago already. I think a move is quite a nice choice for the best arc. Maybe it'll leave a deeper impression on the audience.
Old 2009-10-08, 14:58   Link #60
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Is it just me or was that just about the blandest lamest trailer humanly possible? I mean we're talking sub-eroge level here as far as actual movement goes.
It's just a quick teaser.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen