AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2012-03-25, 03:55   Link #1821
n0m@n
C-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
You know? I've always thought something was wrong when I was following the series. It's like it's missing something "BIG" and when I realized what it was, the shock hit me like a truck.

I may have forgotten a few details, but for some reason, Issei didn't have a clingy jealous childhood friend in the show. Well, you know? There's no guarantee that he doesn't have one, but still. Doesn't that kind of creature usually shows up in the first half of episode 1 or maybe within 12 episodes at the latest?
Do you mean those girls like Houki and Rin from IS?
Childhood friend equals Tsundere most of the time and in the anime we didnt get one. Though I usually end up hating childhood friend girls most times.
Old 2012-03-25, 04:06   Link #1822
zzhk
Summary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
You know? I've always thought something was wrong when I was following the series. It's like its missing something "BIG" and when I realized what it was, the shock hit me like a truck.

I may have forgotten a few details, but for some reason, Issei didn't have a clingy jealous childhood friend in the show. Well, you know? There's no guarantee that he doesn't have one, but still. Doesn't that kind of creature usually shows up in the first half of episode 1 or maybe within 12 episodes at the latest?
Asia is probably the most clingy one, but all she does is pout cutely with tears in her eyes and the occasional face pinching as seen in the past episodes. This is one reason why Issei's harem is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I do remember him using his wings during the Asia arc against Reynalle, though maybe that wasn't really full-on flight.

Still, I would've expected this as part of the basics of Devil 101 especially since Rias actually brought them all out for training prior to the Rating Game. It isn't magic or some sort of special power; rather it's like learning to walk or swim. One might say as an analogy, "well, not everyone can swim!" but considering they're all going to fight and encounter all sorts of dangerous situations anyway, I think that learning to use one's wings would be a basic priority.
Issei's lack of flying skills is played for laughs and will be lampshaded within the story itself. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter since his armor can fly.

So far within the anime, Ise's wings are only brought out for dramatic moments such as when the Occult Research Club revealed all their wings, or when he first applies Dress Break to those Pawns.
Leviathan of the Covenant
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 04:28   Link #1823
Domonkazu

just finished watching

to be honest I was pretty skeptic about this series, I just watched because there are Yoko Hikasa and Shizuka Itou, but then after the series with Asia, I feel like the show is totally worth my time, after the eps 12, I knew I was right

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzhk View Post
Without spoiling anything, let's just say the real method for dissipating dragon power is far sexier. Akeno's popularity will skyrocket in the next season. I guarantee it.
dude you make me want to read the LN

must resist, I hope there will be 2nd season soon.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 04:42   Link #1824
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Infinite Stratos?
Funny that you mention IS.

The voice actress who voices Rias is also the same actress who voices Houki. Had I not googled for some info about the show, I wouldn't have known at all.

Quote:
Asia is probably the most clingy one, but all she does is pout cutely with tears in her eyes and the occasional face pinching as seen in the past episodes. This is one reason why Issei's harem is awesome.
I think Rias is the more clingy one, not only because of the usual shared physical contact between the two but also in the sense that she's actually possessive of Issei.

...in an affectionate way of course.

Quote:
Issei's lack of flying skills is played for laughs and will be lampshaded within the story itself. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter since his armor can fly.
I guess that reason is good enough, but the use of flight could've been expanded more during action scenes with other characters such as Koneko. Rias and Akeno seem to be utilizing their flying abilities in a sensible way, not sure of whether Kiba's speed affects his flying or not, but Koneko could've been portrayed as more effective in battle if she used flight and super strength together more often.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 12:14   Link #1825
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
I think Rias is the more clingy one, not only because of the usual shared physical contact between the two but also in the sense that she's actually possessive of Issei.
Rias doesn't get jealous. O_o At least we haven't seen her get jealous at any point in time.

Quote:
I guess that reason is good enough, but the use of flight could've been expanded more during action scenes with other characters such as Koneko. Rias and Akeno seem to be utilizing their flying abilities in a sensible way, not sure of whether Kiba's speed affects his flying or not, but Koneko could've been portrayed as more effective in battle if she used flight and super strength together more often.
She might be strong in her arms and legs but nothing has been shown about wing strength. Which really is all that matters in aerial combat. Well, wing strength and magic power.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 14:05   Link #1826
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Could have done with a better episode 12, but I'm use to disappointment with anime lately.

Will still watch the next season if they do it, but not for anything the male lead does.

And speaking of IS, oh how I hated the child-hood friend...
Old 2012-03-25, 17:21   Link #1827
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Could have done with a better episode 12, but I'm use to disappointment with anime lately.
What constitutes as a "better" episode 12 to you? Just to let you know the final episode was faithful enough to the original source material with a few changes.

Quote:
Will still watch the next season if they do it, but not for anything the male lead does.
Well you might be disappointed to know that you'll likely see Isse more and his antics. He is the male lead and this is a harem type anime after all. I don't know what you have against Isse but IMO he's one of the better male leads I've seen at least for the genre. And he's far better than those weak, wishy-washy male protagonists in other anime who do nothing but attract girls and hardly lifting a finger. Isse is pretty bad ass and will whatever it takes to protect his friends and his girls despite being a pervert.

Quote:
And speaking of IS, oh how I hated the child-hood friend...
Which one? Houki or Huang? I don't like either since I find the childhood friend stereotype overrated. The only girl I like in IS is Charlotte.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:03   Link #1828
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
What constitutes as a "better" episode 12 to you? Just to let you know the final episode was faithful enough to the original source material with a few changes.

Which one? Houki or Huang? I don't like either since I find the childhood friend stereotype overrated. The only girl I like in IS is Charlotte.
Yes I realize I'll be forced to see more and more of him in another season. I'm 32 years old for crying outloud. I know how things work. I just find him extremely irritating and don't care for him.

Episode 12 was just bleh. I've seen much better endings to a season or even an anime, and it just didn't feel like it matched with what I had seen with the rest of the show. Whether it was true to the original source material or not, it just wasn't well done.

Houki primarily, IIRC the names correctly. The one always treating him like chit then being sweet to him later. Charlotte is just soooooo much better as a human being, and understands him in ways that Houki never could. He really is an idiot for not going after the one worth going after.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:41   Link #1829
bumbayker

Quote:
Yes I realize I'll be forced to see more and more of him in another season. I'm 32 years old for crying outloud. I know how things work. I just find him extremely irritating and don't care for him.
Woah. Please don't get the wrong idea. I wasn't implying anything about you. I'm just saying if you already dislike Isse then this anime (or even the light novel) is probably not for you. The story will focus more on him from here after. I can respect your opinion though I'd like to know why you find him irritating/unlikable.

Quote:
Episode 12 was just bleh. I've seen much better endings to a season or even an anime, and it just didn't feel like it matched with what I had seen with the rest of the show. Whether it was true to the original source material or not, it just wasn't well done.
As I was asking you earlier, what constitutes as a "better" final episode to the seiries for you? What exactly were you expecting? You can't merely say it was "bleh" and it wasn't done well without going into specifics and not explaining why. What is considered to be a "better season ending" varies from person to person yet you have to put your opinion more into context than what you stated if you want others to comprehend or take you seriously.

Quote:
Houki primarily, IIRC the names correctly. The one always treating him like chit then being sweet to him later. Charlotte is just soooooo much better as a human being, and understands him in ways that Houki never could. He really is an idiot for not going after the one worth going after.
At least I can agree on that though its out of topic. You see? this is the sort of specifics and explanation which I'm referring to.

Last edited by bumbayker; 2012-03-25 at 20:44.
Old 2012-03-25, 22:56   Link #1830
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Hnnn, needed more hot-blooded screaming...

Dragon vs Phoenix - glad that 'he' also thought of the sweet irony of the battle. Still Issei, TOO MUCH TALK, NOT ENOUGH PAWNCH!! Beat the crap outta him first, THEN explain... not before...

But a girl like Rias was definitely worth it. Besides, how friggin' cool is it to have a dragon's arm for your arm? It's like getting a really cool scar across your chest or face... It's a man badge. *puffs up proudly*
Old 2012-03-25, 23:51   Link #1831
dragonroots
Carefree Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Hnnn, needed more hot-blooded screaming...

Dragon vs Phoenix - glad that 'he' also thought of the sweet irony of the battle. Still Issei, TOO MUCH TALK, NOT ENOUGH PAWNCH!! Beat the crap outta him first, THEN explain... not before...

But a girl like Rias was definitely worth it. Besides, how friggin' cool is it to have a dragon's arm for your arm? It's like getting a really cool scar across your chest or face... It's a man badge. *puffs up proudly*
I agree, if i had a dragon arm i'd be showing it off not hiding it lol. Plus it will be a good story to tell to future generations, Ise gave his arm to a dragon in order to gain the power necessary to take back the one he loves.
dragonroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 23:55   Link #1832
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Ep.12

Epic end. 9/10 Love the ecchi, dramatic moments and action.

It's Issie = kamen rider+S-CRY-ED+Domon Kashuu. With alot of heart felt talk.

Now Iam really routing for a second season. Imho I think Issie beating a phoenix devil/demon isn't enough to prove that he's really powered up. I really like the action.

Also @ mangatron

WTH?!! No wonder Issie beat the Phoenix so easily. It may/can revive again and again with it's flames even being buried, iced, watered down pour. But if you've been hit by Issie's bukake attack you'll lose no matter what.

Issie = Chuck Norris! XD
Old 2012-03-26, 01:12   Link #1833
sky black swordman

Issei beating raizer was great. I hope their is a season 2 i really want to see the red dragon fight the white dragon.
The keys to his victory are he is MC, planed ahead of time and he is a dragon and a dragon is way cooler then a Phoenix.
Old 2012-03-26, 02:42   Link #1834
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonroots View Post
I agree, if i had a dragon arm i'd be showing it off not hiding it lol. Plus it will be a good story to tell to future generations, Ise gave his arm to a dragon in order to gain the power necessary to take back the one he loves.
Yeah well, except it's hard to live in the house or go to school when they know nothing about the supernatural.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:34   Link #1835
Domonkazu

for anyone who said they have seen "better" ending please point out the series, I'm curious
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 04:10   Link #1836
Lukeman1884

Wait, so near the end, it shows a scene with Asia and Akeno trying to get rid of his dragon arm and failing, then right afterwards while he's running from the girls, it's gone? Did they forget to draw it in or something? Or am I missing something?
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 04:53   Link #1837
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

They eventually succeeded. It's still there, they just managed to get it back into suppressed form.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 05:12   Link #1838
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
As I was asking you earlier, what constitutes as a "better" final episode to the seiries for you? What exactly were you expecting? You can't merely say it was "bleh" and it wasn't done well without going into specifics and not explaining why.
Actually, you can.
In the same way one can say he/she doesn't like a particular food, just because it tastes bad. It's called opinion/personal preference. There's really no need to add anything more than that.

Quote:
What is considered to be a "better season ending" varies from person to person yet you have to put your opinion more into context than what you stated if you want others to comprehend or take you seriously.
Whether you want to take other people's thoughts "seriously" or not, it's totally up to you.
Old 2012-03-26, 05:17   Link #1839
Qikz

Ok, I'm just going to come out and say this.

I bloody well loved that ending. Like seriously. <3
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 06:52   Link #1840
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Actually, you can.
In the same way one can say he/she doesn't like a particular food, just because it tastes bad. It's called opinion/personal preference. There's really no need to add anything more than that.
Personal preference and opinion stems from one's reason. Saying its "bleh" and its not well done aren't reasons but impressions from your own tastes. There's are always specific reasons to like or dislike something/someone aside from claiming its one's preference. And honestly your "reasons" for disliking was pretty vague and broad. To follow your analogy. If I say a particular food tastes bad or in your words "bleh" others will ask why. Telling them I don't like it doesn't really answer their question and I just gave my impression of it. If I told them like I hate spicy food then its a far more concrete answer. To put it bluntly in your case, it sounds shallow.

I'll ask you again, why do you find Isse as an irritating MC? What constitutes for you as a "better" season ending episode? If you can't answer those questions then I'll assume you're just criticizing out of sheer bias and for no real reason because its "not to your taste".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Whether you want to take other people's thoughts "seriously" or not, it's totally up to you.
On the contrary what one says and how he/she says it influences us a lot on how seriously we want to take someone.

Last edited by bumbayker; 2012-03-26 at 13:16.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen