AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-17, 08:51   Link #101
nojay
Scanlator

Just seen the OAV (episode 00) and I like it. It's not a knockout hit (I'm still waiting for Despera to be made/released for that) but it's the sort of slice-of-life story with added interstitial crazy that I enjoy.

As for the animation, it's been designed to look like the manga artwork and that's OK with me. There seems to be something in the air in the anime studios at the moment as I'm seeing more and more background action in scenes which would usually be static talking-heads, something that is cheap and easy to animate, and the Nichijou OAV is no exception with detailed characters moving in and out of "shot" while the foreground characters do their business. I blame computers for this.
Old 2011-03-18, 12:07   Link #102
OkamiNoKaze

Episode 0 was interesting, I do hope it improves humor-wise, I liked parts 2 and 3 the best, It made me chuckle a bit when glasses girl (not good with the names yet) was shown sleeping in the luggage rack, also what was that she was doing before the train showed up?
Old 2011-03-18, 17:11   Link #103
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
also what was that she was doing before the train showed up?
When a train is approaching or leaving a station in Japan there's almost always a platform superintendent present. He (usually male, very rarely female) does this little routine of looking along the tracks left and right and then looking up at the electric cable overhead to make sure people aren't standing too close to the platform edge and there's nothing in the way that might cause an accident. The pointing gestures are a sort-of mnemonic process to make sure he does it right and also to make it clear to people around that he is doing it right. Since the girls were alone on the platform with no superintendent Megane-ko carried out the "salute" instead.

My impression from glancing through the manga and this first episode is that the gags in Nichijou are going to be very Japan-centric as many 4-koma mangas tend to be, relying on knowledge of Japanese customs and the way of life there for the jokes to bite.
Old 2011-03-18, 18:23   Link #104
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I find that an interesting way to learn at least a little bit about another culture.
Old 2011-03-18, 20:05   Link #105
OkamiNoKaze

Also class Q? are there usually that many?
Old 2011-03-18, 20:42   Link #106
NaweG
Just some guy

So do we ever get an explanation of what the "deal" is with the young lady who goes around with a wind-up key in her back?
Old 2011-03-18, 22:44   Link #107
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
So do we ever get an explanation of what the "deal" is with the young lady who goes around with a wind-up key in her back?
She's obviously a badass just like Mechazawa from Cromartie High who is similar as her.
Old 2011-03-19, 01:00   Link #108
Matheson

C'mon everyone! The staff at KyoAni are busy working on the K-On! movie. It makes sense that they would take on a smaller, less demanding thing to work on while we wait for December 3. Give them a break, they are doing what they can with the resources they have available (I'm assuming their best animators are working on the movie).
Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 02:01   Link #109
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I haven't watched the OVA yet, but just read chapter 1 manga by chance today, and i'm gonna say that with a right adaption, this anime probably will make a big hit (as a slice-of-life genre)

Have huge potential to be great
Old 2011-03-19, 02:12   Link #110
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Best guess?
She's some sort of windup robot belonging to the loli doctor that owns the talking cat?
Old 2011-03-20, 17:09   Link #111
Leo Keichi

Quote:
What do you mean with the "deal"? She's just one of those ladies who happen to have a key in their back. That's no reason for discriminations.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-20, 22:50   Link #112
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I just watched episode 0 with no knowledge of the source material, and I enjoyed it. This does seem like a show that might be better in small doses though.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-21, 03:13   Link #113
Echoes

I thought that the segment with Hakase and the talking cat was a lot better than the others. I loved the surreal nature of it. Judging purely from this one OVA, the show has a lot of potential, though I found the different parts a bit uneven in quality.
Old 2011-03-24, 23:04   Link #114
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, we will see if it is wacky in a week or so.
Old 2011-03-25, 07:54   Link #115
Genten
has a custom user title

Just read what I could find of the manga. From what I've seen, the most amusing chapters are later in the volume. The humor is very hit or miss but I would compare it to a strange mix of Azumanga Daioh and Pani Poni shaft. Actually, after reading it I seriously thought it would make a good shaft series XD I've yet to see episode 00 yet, though. It's next on my to do list.

I am looking forward to the anime. I just don't know how KyoAni is going to handle some of the screwball humor present in the manga.

Quote:
Everyone has already answered this in one way or another but yes, she is a robot. She seems to think nobody know that, though. . .
Old 2011-03-27, 15:36   Link #116
nojay
Scanlator

Finally figured out what the sign on top of the loli mad scientist/talking cat/robot girl's house means -- "東雲研究所" reads as "Dawn Research Establishment" or thereabouts. Crappy handwriting though.
Old 2011-03-29, 11:47   Link #117
darkchibi07

Behold! Crunchyroll is simulcasting it!!!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/my-ordinary-life
Old 2011-04-01, 01:07   Link #118
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 2011-04-01, 09:09   Link #119
Midonin
Last Engage

Good thing.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 12:56   Link #120
darkchibi07

Did KyoAni out-SHAFTed SHAFT in the OP?!!

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life