AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-03, 07:19   Link #1
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Minami-ke: Okawari

Starts airing: January 6th 2008
Episodes: I believe nothing official has been said yet

If you don't know by now, Okawari is another season of Minami-ke by the studio asread. Okawari means 'second helping' or 'seconds', so i guess you could treat this as a second season, not a remake.

VA's are staying the same from the original series.
Old 2008-01-03, 07:29   Link #2
Sides

See i got a bit problem with this. The first anime was basically an, almost 1:1, adoption from the manga. So what is this ? Complete new stories independent from the original, manga?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 07:30   Link #3
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Finally New Thread For Minami-ke..
Just Three Days To The Second Season..
Old 2008-01-03, 07:34   Link #4
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
See i got a bit problem with this. The first anime was basically an, almost 1:1, adoption from the manga. So what is this ? Complete new stories independent from the original, manga?
I believe it's more like an alternative retelling, and produced by a different animation studio.

At the very least, ~okawari~ gets to keep the faces.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 07:49   Link #5
d-one

i have read the manga until vol.4 and there still a lot of story that hasn't been tell in the first season of this anime

so basically this is the continuation from the same manga too
d-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 07:53   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-one View Post
so basically this is the continuation from the same manga too
Just because there is more manga material doesn't mean it'll be used in Okawari --- though saying that, there's a chance it will, we just don't know yet.
Old 2008-01-03, 09:00   Link #7
Abbott
Munior Jember

Judging by the preview of the 1st episode, the content hasn't been in the 1st series. So it's either original or new stuff from the manga.

The impression I gained was that this series was simply carrying on where the last one left off, but with a different set of artists. The preview shows a lot of characters that were already introduced before Christmas, so I doubt it's starting from the beginning again.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 09:17   Link #8
noob3d
馬鹿やろ

Well I saw the previews and trailers as well as read the manga, so I'm guessing this is, like many have said before,"an alternate retelling".So far it looks promising since it does not look like it will follow the manga as closely as the other studio did.Fanservice I think is going to be a big factor for this series.The vibrant colours used in the illustation/animation (to me at least) hints that nosebleeds are going to be frequent which may/may not be a bad thing like how they pulled it off perfectly in the original series.Stuble but it gets the job done.
Old 2008-01-03, 09:34   Link #9
ThoHell

Is it just me or does Kana look a lot younger in this one than the 1st? Even Chiaki looks older than Kana. Haru is of course still looking the oldest, but Kana just looks wrong...... Oh well, I still can't wait! Loved the 1st Minami-ke, looking forward to this one as well.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 09:58   Link #10
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob3d View Post
The vibrant colours used in the illustation/animation (to me at least) hints that nosebleeds are going to be frequent which may/may not be a bad thing like how they pulled it off perfectly in the original series.Stuble but it gets the job done.
I think the Minami-ke production committee needed to have a good idea of what kind of reaction to expect from their viewers. In my opinion all businessmen of niche anime productions are required to dive into new projects fully aware of what kind of success they can expect. There really is no room for spontaneous experimentation, so I believe we can expect much from the ~seconds~ season. In business principle it should outperform everyone's low expectations.
Old 2008-01-03, 10:02   Link #11
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
In my opinion, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
This is going to be interesting to see seen as how the first season has already set such a high standard. There is still more chance of it crashing and burning in any case

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 10:18   Link #12
Falkor

Finally, we have a new thread for Okawari. Anyway, my expectations for the show are still low, but my interest has increased after watching the teaser. Am I the only one who did not find the teaser as bad as others make it out to be? The character designs still give me shivers, but seeing the story as a continuation is more of a guarantee for things to go in the right direction since they decided not to do an alternate retelling.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 10:21   Link #13
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
I really dont like the art for this series, it doesnt looka as good as Minami ke
whatever, as long as their is great comedy, count me in
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 10:32   Link #14
noob3d
馬鹿やろ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I think the Minami-ke production committee needed to have a good idea of what kind of reaction to expect from their viewers. In my opinion all businessmen of niche anime productions are required to dive into new projects fully aware of what kind of success they can expect. There really is no room for spontaneous experimentation, so I believe we can expect much from the ~seconds~ season. In business principle it should outperform everyone's low expectations.
yea I understand that bit about knowing exactly what to expect but to me its just killing the anime industry in the long run(recycling "sure win" titles).Sticking with sure fired winners means having to remake sucessful titles over and over.I think we all see the season2/3/4 labels on a number of winter/spring anime.In the good old days(1990's) this would rarely happen.

Its just that in this case the studios switched. I once pointed out to my friends that the japanese were quite daring unlike their american counterparts when it came to animation but now it would seem otherwise.*eating my words*
Old 2008-01-03, 10:42   Link #15
Mef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
Is it just me or does Kana look a lot younger in this one than the 1st? Even Chiaki looks older than Kana. Haru is of course still looking the oldest, but Kana just looks wrong...... Oh well, I still can't wait! Loved the 1st Minami-ke, looking forward to this one as well.
yes, kana is the youngest sister now.

she now probably even more resembles miu
Mef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 14:47   Link #16
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob3d View Post
yea I understand that bit about knowing exactly what to expect but to me its just killing the anime industry in the long run(recycling "sure win" titles).Sticking with sure fired winners means having to remake sucessful titles over and over.I think we all see the season2/3/4 labels on a number of winter/spring anime.In the good old days(1990's) this would rarely happen.
The main difference is that this "second season" was announced together with the first season, so ~seconds~ isn't a recycled product, it was just planned to air after the "first season". If it breaks, that just means the whole concept was broken from the start, not just the second season, Deathkillz. Obviously, comparison between the two productions might be valid (quality, content, intent -wise).
Old 2008-01-03, 15:12   Link #17
rg4619

Quote:
In my opinion, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
This is going to be interesting to see seen as how the first season has already set such a high standard. There is still more chance of it crashing and burning in any case
It's an odd business plan, but you've got to consider why Starchild decided on such a strategy.

I think it boils down to the fact that they're spreading their risk across two different productions instead of a single large one. Even if one series sucks, they have a chance to re-capitalize on the same (popular) IP almost simultaneously.

After all, there was never any guarantee that Doumu would succeed with Minami-ke, especially in light of Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na -Crescent Love- (same director, lead writer, production team). There's also no guarantee that the Shuffle! team will work out.

Appointing two teams from the start also has the side effect of keeping the experience fresh for viewers. However, given the chance that one or more productions might flounder, I think it's mostly a case of setting up two shots at success.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 15:24   Link #18
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef View Post

After watching the first Minami-ke, seeing Kana as the youngest is just wrong. Is she younger than Chiaki in this? If she is, then it isn't a second season no matter what the title may say. It's a spin-off, not part of the original. Not saying it won't be as good as the first or better as the first, just saying it's going to be a little different.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 15:42   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef View Post

That would be a quite serious deviation with no purpose I can see from the manga. Reference?
Old 2008-01-03, 15:58   Link #20
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
It's a spin-off, not part of the original.
It's part of the original anime production plan, I think that counts for something. ~_~ You'll gradually figure out that anime adaptations and their respective production committees usually have very little to do with the original, seeing as how they're producing anime after the original authors were dead certain the success of their work won't go beyond a tankoubon release. The creative minds and visionaries behind anime are the production committees and their hired staff.

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life