AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-12, 11:07   Link #1
roxxi

Anime suggestions - Preferably Adventure/fantasy/comedy

First off, I would just like to say a quick 'hi' =) I'm new here but I should just let you know that I'm more of a lurker than a poster ^^;; I only post if I really need to

Anyhoo, I'm looking for something new to watch. I would really like something like 'Black Cat'. A heroic yet strong dark leading male. Even a kick-ass female along with it, would be nice too. Character development would be great. Decent animations and a touch of romance is a must =) I just finished Matantei Loki a couple of hours ago, and something similar to that is good as well. So basically, I'll go for anything involving adventure/comedy/fantasy/mystery/supernatural/romance =) Though for Romance, I would prefer if it wasn't based on it completely. I would rather see the romance grow in the series than having it straight from the beginning of the series.

Here is a list of what I've already seen/currently watching.

- Air TV
- Black Cat
- Chobits
- Chrno Crusade
- Cowboy Bebop
- D.N.Angel
- Elfen lied
- Fate/stay night
- Full metal Panic
- Hellsing
- Matantei Loki Ragnarok
- Ouran High School Host
- Rahxephon
- Scrapped Princess
- Shakugan no Shana
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I think that's about it.

Thanks in advance <3
Old 2006-07-12, 13:27   Link #2
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

The Twelve Kingdoms: Adventure, some comedy (not much though, it's a serious series), a totally kickass female lead (give her a chance, she develops greatly as the series progresses), not much romance per se, but the series doesn't really need it. Well, all in all it's a masterpiece of a series, even though it isn't complete (episode 39 closes the main story nicely, though you could watch past that to 45 where it ends, but it's in the middle of a new story segment).

Quick description: It's like the Lord of the Rings of the anime world

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=840
Old 2006-07-12, 14:04   Link #3
jedinat

I second Juuni Kokuki. One of the best anime ever made.

I'll also suggest Trigun. While most the time the main guy is goofy and carefree, every once in a while he pulls out Mr. Badass, the contrast makes those moments all the better imo. The same could be said for Rurouni Kenshin and its main. Both are great anime, though Kenshin is more shounen than Trigun.
They both have just hints of romance.

Juuni Kokuki doesn't have any romance but I still loved it (which shows how good it is, I usually need a romance or at least some sort of pairing to keep me interested)
Old 2006-07-12, 15:07   Link #4
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

You'll probably enjoy Wolf's Rain and Fullmetal Alchemist. Both fulfill most of your preferences, and are made by BONES, an excellent studio also responsible for Ouran, RahX, and Scrapped Princess. Trigun is a must as well.
Old 2006-07-12, 16:44   Link #5
JerseyDevil
Eating cattle since 1735

Hmm, looking at your list, I'd suggest Berserk. It takes place in a medieval setting and has a very dark theme. The characters are all pretty interesting in their own respects. It has your "heroic, yet dark" leading male, and even your "kick ass" female, too. Character development is the name of the game in this anime.

Animation is pretty good, although not up to par with the stuff you see today. It's very violent, and very gory (along the lines of Elfen Lied). There is a touch of romance as well, although it all turns up sorta sadistic.

There's really not much comedy in it, though. It's more of a dark-themed series. 26 episodes, if I remember correctly.
Old 2006-07-12, 17:47   Link #6
Furudanuki

Utawarerumono has most of the elements you mentioned you are looking for, including (so far) two "kick ass" female characters.
Closed Thread