AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-03, 15:25   Link #1
kamehameha

Unrequited love/ Forbidden Love

Looking for an anime or several anime that lay in this area. Some key things i'm looking for are maturity and drama rather than a comedy.

An example of an anime with forbidden love that i watched just recently was Genji Monogatari Sennenki...
Spoiler:

Another anime that i enjoyed was Koi Kaze..

The setting can be anywhere.. but i really want something with an excellent plot. I found the plot in Genji to be very good!..

Forbidden does not mean forbidden because it is incestuous, but forbidden because of a cursed fate, or unforeseen circumstances where the characters go through many parables to either succeed or fail.

Samurai X fits the bill as well...

Last edited by kamehameha; 2011-07-04 at 01:04.
Old 2011-07-04, 00:16   Link #2
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

I really think you should check out Da Capo. It's an older series, and long, and the naming of the seasons is a bit wonky in a sense... But it fits like everything you're looking for. There is incest (from what I remember true, not just live together/think of that way) romance, and they go through all sorts of trials and stuff.

I don't know if I'd say it has a super deep plot, it's basically a supernatural school life thing. But from what I remember it doesn't slouch and I don't remember it going childish.

If you do watch Da Capo the correct order is:

Da Capo
Da Capo Second Season

There is also a sequel, Da Capo II, with similar themes in it. The order for Da Capo II is the same as above.

If you like Da Capo there are several other series that are similar to it including Shuffle! and Gift Eternal Rainbow.

A couple other series that could fit well also would be Kanon (2006 version), Elfen Lied, and Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (aka Rumbling Hearts). All fall more into the "unforeseen circumstances" type things, but I believe all could also work. Kimi Ga probably the most imo. There is an element in there that causes people to either love it or hate it (with little to no middle ground) and that element could be seen as the "forbidden love" thing you're looking for.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2011-07-04, 01:08   Link #3
kamehameha

Hey iv'e watched Elfen Lied, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.

I will check out Kanon and Da Capo...

how ever i am still looking for more suggestions that fit the bill between Genji and Samurai X. I mean the music, the drama, the eloquence, and the plot when combined just give you that spine tingling feeling...Something that captivates you and makes you want to be sympathetic or make you cry
Old 2011-07-04, 02:21   Link #4
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
I mean the music, the drama, the eloquence, and the plot when combined just give you that spine tingling feeling...Something that captivates you and makes you want to be sympathetic or make you cry
I've never seen the series you've listed so I can't compare the look and feel, but I think both Kanon and Da Capo can do that. The opening to Da Capo Second Season is really like a super "WTF" moment and you just want/have to keep watching to figure out what is going on.

However, when you think about it, any good drama series should be able to pull off that kind of atmosphere though imo.

I'm not sure how well it fits into your forbidden love (though towards the middle/end there are the unforeseen circumstances that hurt the romance) but if you want to talk about the atmosphere and crying then look at Clannad. A lot of people who claim to not cry at anime cry at Clannad, though you have to watch the second season (After Story) to get to that point.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2011-07-04, 16:27   Link #5
kamehameha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
I've never seen the series you've listed so I can't compare the look and feel, but I think both Kanon and Da Capo can do that. The opening to Da Capo Second Season is really like a super "WTF" moment and you just want/have to keep watching to figure out what is going on.

However, when you think about it, any good drama series should be able to pull off that kind of atmosphere though imo.

I'm not sure how well it fits into your forbidden love (though towards the middle/end there are the unforeseen circumstances that hurt the romance) but if you want to talk about the atmosphere and crying then look at Clannad. A lot of people who claim to not cry at anime cry at Clannad, though you have to watch the second season (After Story) to get to that point.
Yeah, I get what you're saying..it doesn't have to be forbidden love or unrequited love, but those are the two themes which appear most often to create sympathy in the viewers eyes. I think the approach requires great music, execution, and obviously a great plot. Clannad and Kanon give off a semi "kawaii" feeling to me and preferably i'd like something with a serious undertone..but i will watch them for sure
Old 2011-07-05, 19:39   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maybe Katanagatari?

Or Shiki?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-07-05, 23:43   Link #7
tatoearashiga

Manga ===>
Suzuka (anime ended earlier than manga)
Kimi no Iru Machi (ongoing)
GE (ongoing)
Onani Master Kurosawa
Rave Master/ Groove Rave Adventure (some parts are forbidden love, anime ended earlier than manga) ,
Old 2011-07-08, 22:32   Link #8
kamehameha

I just finished Shiki, great suggestion.. however the romance part was a bit lacking..i'd like to see an unrequited love that develops.. such as in itazura na kiss but something x10 mature..
Old 2011-07-08, 22:45   Link #9
GuiBleh

Ano Hana it's a great new choice.
Old 2011-07-08, 23:07   Link #10
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

These are rather light-hearted, but perhaps you'd like to try Onegai Twins and Onegai Teacher.

Ai Yori Aoshi rather fits the forbidden love part since the two protagonists hide that they're married because of social standings (I think, I forgot why exactly). It isn't exactly dramatic though.

Da Capo gets really boring past the first season imo. and I haven't watched DC 2 yet to comment about it.

Speaking of unrequited love, why didn't anybody mention Honey & Clover?
Old 2011-07-09, 00:49   Link #11
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

yosuga no sora?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2011-07-09, 02:04   Link #12
Niji

Basilisk - Romeo and Julia kinda story set in Ninja-world, very captivating, very well done

Maybe Saiunkoku Monogatari works too, several unrequited loves. It is somewhat light-hearted with some comedic aspects besides the drama, but has a lot of depth, good plot, good production values.

Last edited by Niji; 2011-07-09 at 02:22.
Old 2011-07-09, 05:25   Link #13
User68604
Disabled By Request

clannad has its serious moments sporadically, but gets the "most" serious in after story. highly recommend watching this

and yosuga no sora

and kodomo no jikan (id say read the manga)

actually now that i think of it, there are quite a few manga's that fit what ur looking for..
Closed Thread