AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-08, 19:58   Link #81
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Dingo, no.. this is how you get a good company to do a reboot. Still don't like lara tho, never did. So this is the story before she became a bitch? lol
Her journey into er...bitchy? Lara...yes. About 75% of the way through, you'll start to see more and more of that side of her, and it was kind of hilarious, because you can totally sympathize after all the hell you've just directed her through, and her attitude wasn't just because she's a rich snobby know-it-all like the other TR games.

I don't know the sales figures, though Crystal Dynamics not having done a AAA game in forever probably doesn't help, but CD did say that in the first 48 hours, over one million people have played it, which suggests that the game will be a financial success for them, and a sequel is probably already being green-lit.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 20:11   Link #82
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Or perhaps those long BOOTS she was wearing was just tough enough that they were able to prevent the blades of the possibly rusty bear trap that was clamping to them thus making her only feel the pressure of the trap and not the sharp blades attached to them?

Seriously people don't ask too many questions in games like this, total realism in video games are overrated and the minute you start questioning things too much the minute you start to lose joy in the entertainment.
You misunderstand, I'm having fun with the game and I'm enjoying it. I just can't help but poke fun at a few of the things I see. (Also, that pressure would still be quite painful, and at the very least Lara would be badly bruised.)

Though I'm a bit more sensitive to the bear trap because I have a history of repeated injuries to my feet and legs, both my knees have a nice collection of scars, and my left kneecap is kinda dented.

Quote:
Now for my impressions of the game, I haven't beaten it yet but I must say, THIS IS HOW YOU DO A PROPER REBOOT!!!
I have played the original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider 3. I really like this Tomb Raider. Lara shivering at the first campsite was also a nice touch. And I like how she's growing from a normal 18-year old British-Asian mixed cute girl into a badass.

Also, I found the Tomb of the Unworthy, and entered it... from the exit, lol. :P There's a brazier where you need to light your torch, then jump on a cage and burn bodies, and then after that you jump across. I'm on the side with no brazier, lol. I have no idea how I managed to enter a tomb from the WRONG WAY.

But really, after all the shit she's gone through, I can't say I'm not sympathetic nor understanding to Lara.

And yeah, it really looks as though Square Enix is having better sucess with their western IPs than FF. Three major releases (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider), all of them huge successes.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 20:35   Link #83
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Though I'm a bit more sensitive to the bear trap because I have a history of repeated injuries to my feet and legs, both my knees have a nice collection of scars, and my left kneecap is kinda dented.
In all fairness, the bear trap Lara got caught in didn't have any teeth. Not that I think that there's any upside in expecting strict adherence to realism in a video game. There are plenty more injuries you'll be able to snark at as you proceed through the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
And yeah, it really looks as though Square Enix is having better sucess with their western IPs than FF. Three major releases (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider), all of them huge successes.
I think it's important to draw a distinction between a publisher and developer. As a developer, I find SE to be largely pretty fail these days, but they do a good job as a publisher, and presumably have a relatively hands-off approach in contrast to what I can only imagine as breathing down their neck approach a publisher like EA has.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 21:53   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I could point to websites discussing the details of what crushing damage does in the short and long term but then I would be doing other people's homework.

We're chuckling a bit at the "movie biology/physics" in the game but it isn't any more over-the-top than the average Bruce Willis movie.
Old 2013-03-08, 22:00   Link #85
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Her journey into er...bitchy? Lara...yes. About 75% of the way through, you'll start to see more and more of that side of her, and it was kind of hilarious, because you can totally sympathize after all the hell you've just directed her through, and her attitude wasn't just because she's a rich snobby know-it-all like the other TR games.

I don't know the sales figures, though Crystal Dynamics not having done a AAA game in forever probably doesn't help, but CD did say that in the first 48 hours, over one million people have played it, which suggests that the game will be a financial success for them, and a sequel is probably already being green-lit.
Of course,she becomes a bitch because of a bunch of men.
Old 2013-03-08, 22:13   Link #86
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Wow, pretty sad that ARMA 3's ALPHA! is beating Tomb Raider is steam sells, proooob because ARMA 3 is PC only and Tomb Raider is 360PSC
I am a firm believer in the superiority of PCs... for most things. This is a game I'd never, ever get for PC.

Conversely, ARMA should be PC only. Console adaptions are bunk.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 23:52   Link #87
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
In all fairness, the bear trap Lara got caught in didn't have any teeth. Not that I think that there's any upside in expecting strict adherence to realism in a video game. There are plenty more injuries you'll be able to snark at as you proceed through the story.
As with Muv-Luv, I'm using the snarking as a coping mechanism to try and counteract the bad juju on Yamatai. It was unsucessful when I attempted this in Dead Space 3, because Dead Space has very little room for snarking.

Quote:
I think it's important to draw a distinction between a publisher and developer. As a developer, I find SE to be largely pretty fail these days, but they do a good job as a publisher, and presumably have a relatively hands-off approach in contrast to what I can only imagine as breathing down their neck approach a publisher like EA has.
I agree, and I think I should have made that more clear in my earlier post. If FF fails utterly and completely, I could see SE shifting primarily into publishing.

And to think that early online posts were negative about the direction Tomb Raider was heading into.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 23:58   Link #88
KaguraSenju
Quiet.

As much as I miss Legend/Underworld Lara, this one is starting to grow on me. I'm loving the game so far. Though...the things that occasionally irked at me were
Spoiler:
Bah! Lara! Still, it's verrryyyyy fun! If TR Legend was like this, it'd probably have been an incredible experience.

Also, lol @ her statement : "I hate tombs".
Old 2013-03-10, 02:35   Link #89
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Treating yourself here reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 3

Anyways does Lara still do stuff like this?

http://sadpanda.us/images/1458908-7N87ECU.gif
Old 2013-03-10, 02:41   Link #90
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Treating yourself here reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 3

Anyways does Lara still do stuff like this?

http://sadpanda.us/images/1458908-7N87ECU.gif
Pretty sure there're video compilations on the grisly ways Lara can die in this reboot.

Cheers.
Old 2013-03-10, 02:47   Link #91
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I don't have the game yet, I am not sure I want to spoil myself on this since this is a reboot nothing to do with the old TR series.

I wanna start fresh
Old 2013-03-10, 02:54   Link #92
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
No you can't dive off of high ledges and make her snap her neck upon impact but there are still a lot of gruesome horrible deaths for Lara should you screw up in alot of locations.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 03:02   Link #93
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Now I feel I really need to get this game.

edit:

Question. For those who got the survival edition what is the difference of that from the standard edition release?

3rd edit

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by kenjiharima; 2013-03-10 at 03:52.
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 10:15   Link #94
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:

edit:

Question. For those who got the survival edition what is the difference of that from the standard edition release?

3rd edit

YouTube
Angry Joe makes some good reviews then some bad. This is a bad review, the game is full of QTE, super easy, very short and uninteresting characters.The gameplay is very scripted and the shooting is generic. The only thing actually going for this game is its graphics.

Even on hard, a friend of mine completed the game without any upgrades and on hard. He's not even good at games! I would wait for the game to hit steam sales then buy it.
Old 2013-03-11, 10:52   Link #95
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:

edit:

3rd edit

YouTube
Joe: "I LooOve this game, go out and support it"

Me: "No"
Old 2013-03-11, 15:00   Link #96
DingoEnderZOE2

Pffft who cares if a game is easy, I had a blast with the game, and in the end as long as the game is fun and entertaining that's all that matters, and a lot of people felt the same way otherwise it wouldn't have done so well.

But people have the right to not like the game too as long as they don't hate on it.
Old 2013-03-11, 16:05   Link #97
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Don't hate the game, Hated Lara croft back in her square boob days. The game is pretty much Uncharted + Dead Space (Minus the obvious) so nothing to hate.
Old 2013-03-11, 16:12   Link #98
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Don't hate the game, Hated Lara croft back in her square boob days. The game is pretty much Uncharted + Dead Space (Minus the obvious) so nothing to hate.
Uncharted yes(Which is fine), Dead Space hell no.

Where in this game is it comparable to Dead Space? The gruesome ways you can die??

Also it's fairly obvious you haven't even played the game, please don't pass judgement or make accusations formed by others without trying the game out yourself regardless how true one of the common comparison is.
Old 2013-03-11, 16:19   Link #99
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Uncharted yes(Which is fine), Dead Space hell no.

Where in this game is it comparable to Dead Space? The gruesome ways you can die??
Bingo

What drives me away from this game is that they try to make her weak and defenseless and sorry to do what she does to the animals.. and it just falls flat.. onto a spike.. that she forgets about after she pulls it out.. and doesn't bleed to death.
Old 2013-03-11, 16:23   Link #100
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Is it a bad game? No it looks amazing and has some fun parts but 12 HOURS of storyline gameplay for a TombRaider game is unacceptable. I can't believe I payed full price for this like an idiot. This would be an excellent game for say 15-20 bucks.