AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-05-17, 10:49   Link #101
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
We can’t be sure if it was truly Jamie who hired the assassin. It might have been the queen.
In fact, considering their personalities, it seems more likely that it was Cersei. But, she, and all the Lannisters, seem rather big on the whole 'family' thing (in fact, that is the one quality the Lannisters seem to share with the Starks...though the Lannisters take the familial love a bit far ), so I doubt she would try and set-up her brother, even if she does consider him a disturbance. (Then again, Tyrion did hit her son, and out of everything she does love her son...)

Won't repeat what others have mentioned, but this was also one of my favourite episodes (unlike Guardian, I officially declared my love for the series 2 episodes previous during the scene between Ned and his daughter Arya). 88/100

(Since I forgot to post my critique of the last episode, I'll just post my rating: 86/100.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 21:09   Link #102
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Just wanted to mention that these videos are hilarious

The CNN of Westros

Here's the link to the whole series of video shorts.

I've been converted. Get Joe on the show!

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 10:09   Link #103
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post

What makes Jamie look worse is that he's attacking Ned for imprisoning Tyrion for a crime Jamie himself committed. The ego.
We know that Jamie genuinely loves Tyrion and cares for him as blood and family. So instead of ego he might actually be feeling guilty that his brother's life is in danger because he messed up and pushed Bran off the tower in the first place.

[snip]

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-18 at 10:36. Reason: we've adopted a no spoiler policy for all sub-forums, so please refrain from hints and clues to future events...
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 12:27   Link #104
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I'm really surprised by how close to the book the show is staying.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 13:41   Link #105
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well unlike things like Harry Potter, they actually have a lot of time to adapt as much material as possible. 10 hour season vs a 2 hour movie is just unbeatable.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 14:22   Link #106
Xagzan

That's why HP probably would've been served better with a TV show of its own instead of movies. 7 seasons, naturally.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 17:06   Link #107
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
We know that Jamie genuinely loves Tyrion and cares for him as blood and family. So instead of ego he might actually be feeling guilty that his brother's life is in danger because he messed up and pushed Bran off the tower in the first place.

[snip]
Um... How do we know that exactly - and I'm assuming you aren't saying that because you've read the books? Jamie certainly loves his sister (cough) but I've seen nothing on-screen so far to show me either has any strong attachment to Tyrion - or vice-versa.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 17:16   Link #108
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
...but I've seen nothing on-screen so far to show me either has any strong attachment to Tyrion - or vice-versa.
I disagree. Jamie may have had only 2 or 3 scenes with Tyrion, but he has shown a great liking for the Imp, and knows his actions and reactions quite well. Now whether Tyrion has any strong feelings towards his brother is a more interesting question, considering the general sarcasm Tyrion has adopted in order to simply survive. Still, just from what we've seen, the Lanister's seem to be a close-knit family, and if nothing else, the indignity of the actions the Starks have taken against the family would have warranted Jamie's response...
Old 2011-05-18, 17:56   Link #109
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well unlike things like Harry Potter, they actually have a lot of time to adapt as much material as possible. 10 hour season vs a 2 hour movie is just unbeatable.
Plus an insane filming time. Filming started in 2007. Just think how long it will be to adapt every book(Aren't all even out yet) to film.

But yes, props to HBO for turning this into one of my favorite shows.
Old 2011-05-18, 21:20   Link #110
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I disagree. Jamie may have had only 2 or 3 scenes with Tyrion, but he has shown a great liking for the Imp, and knows his actions and reactions quite well. Now whether Tyrion has any strong feelings towards his brother is a more interesting question, considering the general sarcasm Tyrion has adopted in order to simply survive. Still, just from what we've seen, the Lanister's seem to be a close-knit family, and if nothing else, the indignity of the actions the Starks have taken against the family would have warranted Jamie's response...
Jamie purposely tried to kill a kid because the kid saw him banging his sister...What defense on MIDDLE EARTH could you have for this sub-human garbage of a man? That alone is implication enough to waive the benefit of the doubt, even if he didn't directly frame our lovable Imp...

He's a cool character design, dare I say the coolest looking fighter in the series so far (I mean all he needs is Cringer and the sword of Enternia), but he's shown me (and many others) more than enough scrupulous actions to question his vainly staged attack on Lord Stark...
Old 2011-05-18, 21:42   Link #111
james0246

^Jaime's attempt on Bran was motivated by a desire to protect himself and his family. He's still an evil douche, but he's an evil douche that has a soft spot for his family.
Old 2011-05-18, 21:44   Link #112
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

EDIT: Ninja'd
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
What defense on MIDDLE EARTH could you have for this sub-human garbage of a man?
While I don't want to justify it, he didn't toss Barn out of the window like a cat because his hobby is throwing children out of windows (?), but rather to protect his sister (and partly himself) and considering that we are shown that he's quite impulsive, it shouldn't be that surprising that he'd attack someone who'd hurt his family be it his younger brother or his sister.

He'd go as far as attack the Kings Hand or toss an 8-year-old out of a window. In a twisted way, the love Jamie holds for his family and the length he's willing to go to protect and avenge them is admirable.
Old 2011-05-18, 22:24   Link #113
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
^Jaime's attempt on Bran was motivated by a desire to protect himself and his family. He's still an evil douche, but he's an evil douche that has a soft spot for his family.
That's not my point, the point is giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't frame Tyrion based on all of what we've seen of him thusfar...The 2, 3 scenes of him paling with Tyrion really prove nothing when he gets a hard-on for killing kids and seemingly enjoys it and looks forward to more...So how am I to absolve an "evil douche" from something it appears he's more than capable of doing (Based on the context clues)...Mofo was waiting for any chance to go at Ned from jumpstreet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque
He'd go as far as attack the Kings Hand or toss an 8-year-old out of a window. In a twisted way, the love Jamie holds for his family and the length he's willing to go to protect and avenge them is admirable.
Admirable? Oh he was sooo admirable as he pushed young Bran outta that window to his impending death...So admirable stabbing the Mad King in his back...So casual and playful about murdering a child so he could bone his sis (Go back and watch the scene again he's beyond giddy)...He almost couldn't crack a 4th smile before doing it...

If he didn't frame Tyrion, or this isn't part of some unscrupulous desire to kill Stark, I'll believe it when I see it, since he's more than shown us he could be capable of what yall are arguing against...
Old 2011-05-18, 22:43   Link #114
james0246

^Fair enough. I still say that Cersei is the more likely candidate of the two for the frame job (not that I really think the Lannisters would bertray their own) since Jaime seems fairly stupid...
Old 2011-05-18, 23:44   Link #115
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
That may qualify for understatement of the year!

I must say, I find it rather shocking to see any description of Jamie as admirable, no matter the context. He's diddling his sister, he stabbed a king in the back, he tried to kill a 10 year-old child (twice, and possibly framed his brother for it). Pushing Bran from the tower wasn't admirable or noble - it was bald-faced self-preservation, which any rat will engage in if cornered. I don't find his cowardly attack on Ned especially praiseworthy, either.
Old 2011-05-19, 08:49   Link #116
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Interesting... while Jaime is obviously a villain I wouldn't see him as cowardly. It seems to me he's a very simple man at heart, if a threat appears he tries to kill it. That all. If his battle scene with Ned is an indication he seems to lead from the front as well. Similarly when he decided to betray the Mad King, he went and killed the King himself. He's not suicidal, he prefers the odds to be in his favor, but neither does he depend on minions to do his dirty work.

I'd say that Jaime does seem to like Tyrion from the few scenes we see between them. And he seems more likely to go kill Bran himself rather then send a hired knife. Cersei on the other hand seemed less friendly toward Tyrion and more likely to attack using a catspaw.

I wouldn't praise Jaime for anything, but just because a man is evil in one way (incest, willing to kill a child), doesn't make him guilty of every crime in the show.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 08:50   Link #117
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

He certainly isn't guilty of every crime on the show. I just don't think he's in any way admirable.
Old 2011-05-19, 09:05   Link #118
Kallen4life

I kinda like Jaime too, esp after that sword fight with Ned .. guess it's easy for me to like bad guys on a fictional show ^^
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 10:02   Link #119
TigerII
Pilot in Training

All of this backstabbery, conspiracy, and even impending civil war/barbarian invasion will seem trivial when the decades long winter hits and the Whitewalkers make their move. [snip] I'm sure they will find a away through or around the wall.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-19 at 11:21. Reason: potential spoilers...
Old 2011-05-19, 11:24   Link #120
james0246

^Be careful, nothing is known of the Whitewalkers just yet. So, while they could be the finale of the series, the show hasn't really focused on them yet besides lore and the growing tension whenever Winter (which must be capitalized) is mentioned.

Tags
game of thrones, hbo