AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-21, 07:29   Link #1
gunn

Princess Mononoke

has eneone seen the flim Princess Mononoke i think its i cool flim if you have pm ok
gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 09:36   Link #2

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn
has eneone seen the flim Princess Mononoke i think its i cool flim if you have pm ok
Does anyone read the Forum Rules?
Do not cross post or post the same message more than once

If you want to post a message, do so in the forum that is best suited for it. Do not post it to existing threads which are not relevant to your message and post it only once.

Since you've only been here not even a month, I won't say anything, but post this in the GENERAL ANIME section. Just give it a little thought before posting, 'kay?

Old 2004-04-21, 12:09   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma
Since you've only been here not even a month, I won't say anything, but post this in the GENERAL ANIME section. Just give it a little thought before posting, 'kay?
Heh, actually, it should have been posted in the DVD & Licensed forum since the film has been released and available on DVD for a while, so I'll move it there instead

BTW, I didn't see a duplicate post by gunn so I'm not sure where the "don't cross-post" message came from. While true I don't see the need for a reminder in this case.

As for the film. Yes very good, a different emphasisis to most of the Miyazaki films (but I still prefer Porco Rosso ).
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 00:39   Link #4
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Hehe.

Tensions are flaring here, but I just re-watched it again recently, so I'll throw in my two cents.

I personally thought Mononoke was fantastic (always been one of my all-time favs). But then again, I'm a sucker for those artsy-situational films like Spirited Away, so it was an instant-hit for me.

What I liked best about it though was the dubbing. I'm usually not very cool with dubs. I even find the voices of Cowboy Bebop and Big O rather synthetic at times. But the voices for Mononoke were fantastic. I thought Billy Bob Thronton did an excellent job as Jigo, and the male lead sounded his age for once. And best of all, they used some great British actresses and accents. (Gillian Anderson!!! [X-files])

Feel free to PM me any time you want to chat about Mononoke or any other anime.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 06:43   Link #5
Ending

Post Princess Mononoke -Factions?

Nevermind! Sheesh, what merging... Here's some negative rep for the mod as a reward.

Last edited by Ending; 2004-07-22 at 07:12.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 19:57   Link #6
Bloodrage256
Naruto Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Bloodrage256 Send a message via MSN to Bloodrage256
Princess Mononoke

Hey guys, I recently rented this anime, It's a movie not a series; Anyways it's awesome! Anyone seen it? It's got a awesome Dub cast. Anyways who's seen it and what did you guys think?

Last edited by Bloodrage256; 2004-10-02 at 20:15.
Bloodrage256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 20:18   Link #7
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Personally it's my favorite of the Gibli movies. I loved Spirited Away and Kiki Delivery Service, but this one blows them away. Beautiful art, great music, and also a wonderfully make plot. It's consistant on the premise through most of the movie. I've loved this movie since I went to see it in the movie theature that one year in November. :sniff: It was an anime movie at it's finest.

That movie is one of the reasons why I got into anime.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 20:37   Link #8
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
That movie is one of the reasons why I got into anime.
Likewise. I'd seen anime before, but once I saw Princess Mononoke, I had to see Kiki's Delivery Service, and then I had to see Castle of Cagliostro, and pretty soon I was seeking out anime in general (I eventually realized that not all of it is good T_T).

I prefer Spirited Away, though. Still, it's a very good movie. It has one of my favorite anime characters of all time, Ashitaka, in it (and for once, it's not 'cuz I think he's cute... I'm too much of a sucker for bishounen).

I didn't get to see it when it first came out in theaters, but last year (I think), near Japantown in one of the cities in my area, I saw it on the big screen (outdoors... it was cold, but at least it was free). I'd already seen it on dubbed VHS at that point.

...would you believe I first heard about it when I was playing Everquest?
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 00:00   Link #9
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Princess Mononoke to many, many anime fans is just a tedious and boring adventure saga. However, others (such as myself), see only the journey portion, because I see the adventure part as the key part of the film. Yes, it does seem long from time to time, but there is a reason for it. There are so many different elements of storytelling involved in the film; if any were cut out chances are the film just wouldn't feel 'complete' at all. All character relationships are important in this film (as is true for all Miyazaki anime), all scenery is important, all places and relationships are important, everything plays some magnificent role in this majestic tale of a young man seeking to rid himself from a demon's curse. The young Prince Ashitaka is steadfast and never gives up... regardless of how daunting his foes or his impending tasks appear to be. Princess Mononoke herself, San, is a lovely character as she can represent and symbolize so much; innocence, arrogance, ignorance, compassion, misunderstanding etc. And the relationship between Ashitaka and San are only 'toughened' if you will, by the adventure aspect of the film. It's a great film with some rather nail-biting action and wonderfully fanciful god and demon creature relationships alike.
Aaron_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 21:11   Link #10
Great Wyvern
Wyvern.. Dragon.. Thingy

Send a message via MSN to Great Wyvern
Princess Mononoke

Any heard of it? the Title may be deceiving, but trust me, its as gorey as hell, one guy nails another's arm off w/ just an arrow... That was funny tho, now he cant pick up the remote
Great Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 21:18   Link #11
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_b
Princess Mononoke to many, many anime fans is just a tedious and boring adventure saga. However, others (such as myself), see only the journey portion, because I see the adventure part as the key part of the film. Yes, it does seem long from time to time, but there is a reason for it. There are so many different elements of storytelling involved in the film; if any were cut out chances are the film just wouldn't feel 'complete' at all. All character relationships are important in this film (as is true for all Miyazaki anime), all scenery is important, all places and relationships are important, everything plays some magnificent role in this majestic tale of a young man seeking to rid himself from a demon's curse. The young Prince Ashitaka is steadfast and never gives up... regardless of how daunting his foes or his impending tasks appear to be. Princess Mononoke herself, San, is a lovely character as she can represent and symbolize so much; innocence, arrogance, ignorance, compassion, misunderstanding etc. And the relationship between Ashitaka and San are only 'toughened' if you will, by the adventure aspect of the film. It's a great film with some rather nail-biting action and wonderfully fanciful god and demon creature relationships alike.
I agree with you but I think something you should really take note of in regards to Princess Mononoke is truly the setting. The setting done by Miyazaki is fantastic, it is so lush and beautiful that I felt sucked in immediately. I didn't think the plot was all that good, I think it was aimed for a more younger audience.
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 21:26   Link #12
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Well let me say this. This was my first ever anime movie i saw. I was 9 years old back then, and i loved the movie so much that i told my cousin who showed the movie to me to buy it for my birthday. Really back then i did not consider this an anime, since back then i did not really know anime, and care abou it. The movie itself is great, and im plannin on rewatching the movie over the March break, i watched last during the Summer break.
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 09:25   Link #13
Aztec13

This like wise was the first anime movie I saw over the past year ive watched over 50+ films but so far This is my Fav Anime movie I got alot of animes left to watch so for now its still #1 but ill never be droped below #3 this is an awsome anime, and if u havent watched it i suggest u do.
Aztec13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 15:05   Link #14
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Send a message via AIM to Remittance Man
Princess Mononoke is fantastic, don't get me wrong...but to me it doesn't compete with Kiki's Delivery Service...and it DEFINITELY doesn't compete with the incredible, tear-jerking, mind-bending grandieur that is Spirited Away. Nothing does.
Remittance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 22:52   Link #15
Red HamsterX
Eien no ai~

Send a message via ICQ to Red HamsterX
After all I've seen, be it Japanese or American, animated or acted, Princess Mononoke remains one of my favourite movies.

I've seen it many, many times, and it always feels as epic as intended. The plot is simple, but original enough to be entertaining, and the story is timeless.

I'd rather not reveal any details, because I strongly feel this is something everyone should watch. It feels like the spiritual successor to some of Miyazaki's other environment-centric works, and it is definitely memorable, whether you watch it for the still-stunning visuals, the journey, the action, or the characters.

Just watch it. It's one of those rare masterpieces that never gets old.
Red HamsterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 23:30   Link #16
I EAT BABIES
With Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red HamsterX
Just watch it. It's one of those rare masterpieces that never gets old.
I'd definately agree. I own many anime DVDs, but Princess Mononoke is one of the only few that's seen repeat play. It truely is an artistic beauty.
I EAT BABIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 11:34   Link #17
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Loved this movie... although the plot is quite simple, combined with the beatiful scene and music you cant help but get sucked into it. A masterpiece....

Last edited by incube; 2009-08-23 at 11:45.
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:45   Link #18
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Loved this movie... although the plot is quite simple, combined with the beatiful scene and music you cant help but get sucked into it. A masterpiece....
Did you watch it for the first time only recently or why else do you resurrect this thread?
That aside , I rewatched it lately and must agree with your 'masterpiece' statement, this movie is perfect in it's scope. And it's now 13 years old and hasn't aged in the slightest, I surely would like to see it in a theatre one day.

signorRossi.
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 15:35   Link #19
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Wow the resurrection .

I agree with you: Princess Mononoke is a masterpiece! Beautiful movie.
Old 2009-08-27, 07:17   Link #20
Rume
To The New World

Yup. Miyazaki's files are really worth watching.
Older films like Kiki's Delivery Service, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Nausicca; Valley of the Wind, My Neighbour Totoro are very nice too. Guess I'm a sucker too. Haha.

Visit My Blog | My Gallery -- "I want to live! Take me out to the sea with you!"

Last edited by Rume; 2009-08-28 at 02:03.
Rume is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, ghibli