AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-03-05, 11:44   Link #2821
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
The only times I can remember he is defeated is in the Battle for Light's Hope and at the end of the Icecrown quest chain (and I don't really count this as real defeat as it is the player who must flee, if he don't wants to be killed by a very pissed Arthas).
I didn't actually do that Icecrown quest but I remember reading that he is defeated there and they let him go because they don't want to finish him off in that weakened state. Could be wrong since I never did it myself but if that did happen I definitely consider it a real defeat, had they not let him go the player would not have had to flee. A screenshot of a bug I saw where someone was able to spell reflect Arthas' attack and kill him makes this even funnier.

He is also defeated by the plague at the Wrathgate.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 12:00   Link #2822
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Ah thanks I forgott the Wrathgate cutscene.

Spell reflecting Arthas' spell sounds sweet!

Regarding the 'they don't want to finish him off in that weakened state.'

Spoiler for For people who don't want to be spoiled.:
Old 2009-03-05, 12:12   Link #2823
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post

Spoiler for For people who don't want to be spoiled.:
I remember reading a quote like "No, I don't want to end it this way, it's meaningless" or somthing to that effect, but like I said I could definitely be wrong as it's a fuzzy memory of secondhand information. I'm sure one of the lore junkies in this thread has the entire quest text somewhere.
Old 2009-03-05, 12:25   Link #2824
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I didn't actually do that Icecrown quest but I remember reading that he is defeated there and they let him go because they don't want to finish him off in that weakened state. Could be wrong since I never did it myself but if that did happen I definitely consider it a real defeat, had they not let him go the player would not have had to flee. A screenshot of a bug I saw where someone was able to spell reflect Arthas' attack and kill him makes this even funnier.

I'm not sure if the word "defeated" is entirely correct. It did seem to severely weaken him and there's not a chance he could fight the rogue Forsaken in that state... So eh maybe defeated is the right word

EDIT:
The entire quest text is at the bottom of this page.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:The_Light_of_Dawn
Old 2009-03-05, 12:36   Link #2825
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

*deletes questtext*

I was ninjad!

Well you could argue what would happen if Lich King's Fury would have been unleashed at the Ebon Blades.

I personaly think, Lich King would have been able to kill everyone.
A last illusion of mine that keeps me from thinking that Arthas is a complete wuss now.

It's quit sad... he was so totaly cool in WarCraft III.
Old 2009-03-05, 12:37   Link #2826
krisslanza

The Lich King is weakened on holy ground where as Paladins are strengthened on it. And one of them had Ashbringer and Light's Hope is supposed to be one of the most holy places in Azeroth I think. So Arthas wasn't really at his full power.
Old 2009-03-05, 12:44   Link #2827
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

I made a mistake just now.

You linked to the last Ebon Blade quest and I was talking about the quest chain in Icecrown that ends with this:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Tirion%27s_Gambit

I totaly didn't read the name of your link, sorry.
Old 2009-03-05, 12:50   Link #2828
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Highlord Darion Mograine says: Quick, through the portal! He won't stay down for long.
(Alliance): Thassarian says: Looks like whatever Tirion did put some hurt on the Lich King. It's too bad we can't finish him off....
(Horde): Koltira Deathweaver says: The Lich King is badly hurt. We ought to stay behind and finish him.
Highlord Darion Mograine says: Patience... we will get our chance soon enough. Be content that for once, it is Tirion who is in our debt.
I dunno, I guess it's kind of open to interpretation but it sure sounds to me like they could have killed him, especially the horde version.

Regardless though, the fact that he even got injured to that point still makes him look pretty bad.
Old 2009-03-05, 12:56   Link #2829
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

It also makes me wonder what Darion was thinking.

He had the opportunity to kill the guy he hates the most, but he lets him live so that Tirion owns him one?

Oh well, every reason is good enough to let the player raid Arthas butt right?
Old 2009-03-05, 12:59   Link #2830
krisslanza

... Oh. My bad you were talking about a quest I haven't heard of
Old 2009-03-05, 13:11   Link #2831
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Don't worry about it!

If you ever quest in Icecrown and someone sends you under Icecrown Citadel, to help out there, you are on the right track! :3
Old 2009-03-05, 15:25   Link #2832
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
That quest chain made going to IceCrown completely worth it . I wish they made some parts repeatable...like the earlier one where you make an army
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 17:00   Link #2833
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I've never had the will to quest in Icecrown....I had enough nerve to unlock the Ebon Blade phasing then I got the hell out of there. Any other zone...no problems. Icecrown...just no interest.
Old 2009-03-05, 17:06   Link #2834
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I really need to do those Icecrown quests. I still haven't done them! Also the reason that the Lich King is letting you live every time he see's you is because you are 'following in his footsteps'. You're doing the 'self righteous' thing to save your people by killing everything that gets in your way - the whole means to an end type deal. He plans to corrupt us, to make it seem like the player is like him and has done these apparently 'righteous acts for the greater good' as purely selfish in the end.

I think what someone said earlier about Yogg was good to, the 'fear of the unknown' is what makes him so interesting. We have only tidbits to go on about the Old Gods so its difficult to get a complete picture. I really like the fact that everyone (in the lore) is so caught up with evil like the Lich King that they are unaware or have forgotten about an evil far older, far more malevolent (and stronger imo) then anything like Arthas.

A point on Neltharion/Deathwing being the 3.2 raid. It is very possible that he could be there. With the comic's back story enough lore can be fashioned in game in a patch to bring him into the game. He's back to building an invincible flight of dragons again, and we need to stop him! Although I'd love to have more dedicated to him then that, he is a total badass. Although I'm not sure Blizzard would want to kill another lore figure, another Dragon aspect in this expansion let alone just a patch. Personally I'm hoping the 3.2 raid is in Azjol'Nerub.
Old 2009-03-05, 18:03   Link #2835
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I really need to do those Icecrown quests. I still haven't done them! Also the reason that the Lich King is letting you live every time he see's you is because you are 'following in his footsteps'. You're doing the 'self righteous' thing to save your people by killing everything that gets in your way - the whole means to an end type deal. He plans to corrupt us, to make it seem like the player is like him and has done these apparently 'righteous acts for the greater good' as purely selfish in the end.
Oh yea. You really need to do the IceCrown quest chains. You become more like Arthas than you would imagine .

One interesting thing with an Old God coming into play is that they have had direct contact with the Titans. Doing some old-world quests I finished the miniature disk quest chain and thinking back on it the program tell you that you need the encoded Uldam disk to enter the area (southern Tanaris). From the details it is assumed that the disk and its copies were distributed amongst select Titans and it mentions that they would return at some point. Though what would be interesting is for Yogg-Saron to have be in possession of one of these disks (taken it before its imprisonment from a Titan or a Titan it killed) thus granting us access to another Titan 'lab' on Azeroth (Uldam was the environmental experimentation facility if I recall correctly).
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 18:38   Link #2836
krisslanza

But I'm tryin' to NOT play WoW anymore...
Stop trying to make me play it again!
Old 2009-03-05, 18:45   Link #2837
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
But I'm tryin' to NOT play WoW anymore...
Stop trying to make me play it again!
You are going to be a good soldier girl by the end of this month. Go relieve your stress on something else.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 18:46   Link #2838
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm just here to babble about lore, I have no intent to play until something new and shiny that I can access comes along. Ulduar doesn't count as such, unfortunately.

Your EVE subscription is still valid, isn't it? Go hunt some pirates, good stress relief and earns some ISK too.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 19:01   Link #2839
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I'm just here to babble about lore, I have no intent to play until something new and shiny that I can access comes along. Ulduar doesn't count as such, unfortunately.

Your EVE subscription is still valid, isn't it? Go hunt some pirates, good stress relief and earns some ISK too.
There's the Argent Tournament thing coming out if you care about that. I actually know nothing about it but pretty sure it is accessible to everyone. Honestly though, if you have no interest in raiding or pvp I think you're probably done until the next expansion, based on past precedent. They may add one new 5-man or some interesting event but content patches are usually raids or pointless fluff. I think this is especially more likely now that they want everyone including really terrible players to be able to clear raids.
Old 2009-03-06, 01:26   Link #2840
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It would be nice to have an in game quest content update such as they did in I think 2.3 around Theramore and that goblin camp in the south. Adding quest chains in some places or updating older regions may be a good thing for those that don't really raid or like PvP.

Tags
blizzard, game, mmorpg, online, warcraft, windows