AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-27, 19:49   Link #321
Vena
Carpe Diem

Fun as all ***, but the lagg is killing it for me. I'm loving the guardian, not too big a fan of the Mesmer in this form though. :/ I'll probably be rolling guardian when the game releases.

I loved the intros, all of them were fantastic. I'd like a few more options on human background though... lost sister was the only decent one.

I've been motivated to get 50/50 now...

And I need to figure out a name because my usual will likely be taken unless I make a character in the first second of the game XD
Old 2012-04-27, 19:59   Link #322
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
How big is the client? Trying to decide whether I can participate in this weekend event or wait for the next.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 20:09   Link #323
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
12.7 gb.

nice game. Youcan literallly hit max level by hitting children with snow balls and solving riddles LOL. <- game logic

Like i thought all my friends are on diff servers -.-

no fps or disconnect issues for me :/
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 20:15   Link #324
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
12.7 gb.

nice game. Youcan literallly hit max level by hitting children with snow balls and solving riddles LOL. <- game logic

Like i thought all my friends are on diff servers -.-

no fps or disconnect issues for me :/
Ah okay. I think I'll wait. Witcher 2 EE patch already took a huge chunk out of my monthly Internet usage.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 20:44   Link #325
Xion Valkyrie

I'm not going to play anymore until they fix the lag. Having a 1 second delay on using abilities and rubberbanding when using certain skills really makes it hard to enjoy the combat in addition to the choppy fps when there's a lot of people.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 22:19   Link #326
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

the clusterfuck is kind of a bother because the mob # scales with it. And it's a bit overwhelming. You can't resurrect random comrades because there's an equal number of mobs running over everyone.

There's a 30 minute maintenance now.

The crafting in this game is quite nice. It's like Kingdom of Amalur. Made myself a nice scepter, body armor and 3x 8-slot bags :3
Old 2012-04-28, 02:02   Link #327
Xion Valkyrie

Maintenance seemed to have fix the lag issues.

Anyways, I'm having an incredibly hard time playing as thief. The class just doesn't make any sense to me when using a melee weapon. I could go ranged, but then I'd just rather play a ranger or warrior.

Anybody with any tips on how to play as thief either using sword/dagger or dagger/dagger?
Old 2012-04-28, 03:22   Link #328
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

i have no idea. Only played Elementalist and Necro so far. Probably sticking ele since it's so fun. I can't wait till I get my element swap and spells memorized. Right now i'm fat-fingering the 1-5 and F1-F3's on my keyboard Dx.

4:30am time to sleep
Old 2012-04-28, 04:29   Link #329
Xion Valkyrie

I feel like the story instances are way too hard. The enemies do way too much damage and they mob you 3 on 1. You get some heroes to help you sometimes, but that only helps if you're ranged as if you're melee they'll all just aggro you anyways. I feel like I'm not fully grasping the combat mechanics. It seems fairly hard to understand compared to most games.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:20   Link #330
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Anybody with any tips on how to play as thief either using sword/dagger or dagger/dagger?
Second-hand information, but from what I've heard thief involves a lot of dodging and using stealth moves to vanish and reposition.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 06:42   Link #331
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
The enemies do way too much damage and they mob you 3 on 1. You get some heroes to help you sometimes, but that only helps if you're ranged as if you're melee they'll all just aggro you anyways. I feel like I'm not fully grasping the combat mechanics.
I agree. The game is really, really, REALLY hard in places, and requires a lot of "Kill one, die, kill one, die" if it involves groups. Outside of storylines, you got the events where you get one-shotted at times (Sons of Svanir comes to mind in the Norn starting area...)

But, as you, it seems like I still haven't grasped the mechanics. Being able to see when the enemy is about to hit you helps, but it doesn't do anything once you got 2 or more mobs on you as you can't dodge forever.

I do welcome the difficulty... But it might be a bit too hard in its current state.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 11:53   Link #332
Sobonok

If what you say is true about the difficulty. It will certainly surprise some Guild Wars fans about the sudden change of how hard it is. The Ascalon Catacombs shown by Beta testers certainly didn't give them an easy time. With all the "need to dodge" mechanics being implemented to Guild Wars 2. I wonder if playing TERA, and knowing how to dodge easily will give you a big advantage in GW2.

Last edited by Sobonok; 2012-04-28 at 12:08.
Sobonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 13:48   Link #333
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

^In a way. The thing about TERA, from what I played, is that you can clearly see when the mobs attack. In GW2 it isn't as obvious. You also usually isn't piled up upon in TERA, as well as being able to tank. You can take a lot of hits before going down, like WoW. You can't tank at all in GW2. Normal mobs downs you in a few hits if you just take it.

But for reaction times, sure, it does make it easier.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 13:54   Link #334
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

as ele and being 2-hit and all, i find large events too hard, I can kill anything under 5 mobs without getting hit. There's a lot of mobility skills like teleport or back dash or -100% accuracy for my class. Past that it's death as all my tricks become on cool-down

Its like playing soul caliber and trying to get a perfect victory.

a lot of spawn points are under constant hostile attacks. (even that city in the norn place). And you need at least 10 to-level actives to secure it. The spawn rate is insane.

This game really gives this feel of power in numbers. Soloing is terribly hard.
Old 2012-04-28, 14:21   Link #335
Xion Valkyrie

So I switched to the Guardian and the game is a lot more fun now. I think the solo instances are not designed well for the thief. Guardian takes significantly less damage and doesn't needa lot of space so the story instances are fine. Theif needs a lot of space to maneuver and the solo instances inside houses really make it difficult as you bump into walls and objects way too much if you try to dodge.
Old 2012-04-28, 21:29   Link #336
Sobonok

Quote:
This game really gives this feel of power in numbers. Soloing is terribly hard.
GW2 is probably the first MMORPG that I've heard that promotes group questing. Even on the regular quests, and not just [Group] quests that are just brushed off.
Sobonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-28, 21:51   Link #337
Vena
Carpe Diem

I gave the mesmer another swing today, and I still don't like this iteration. The illusions, first off, are too short lived. They fade the moment the foe you targeted to create them dies, and, worse off, they are quite predictably stupid and will sometimes do absolutely nothing but stand there and gape. I'm sure this is a bug to be ironed out but I doubt their brevity is, and its making an already squishy class hard to keep alive. At range the Mesmer is considerably more sustainable and some of the skills are truly fun/cool to use but again the Illusions are feeling very half baked at the moment.

So far, I am enjoying the Guardian and its proactive play moreso than the Mesmer.
Old 2012-04-28, 22:30   Link #338
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

anyone getting an issue with targetting? My character keeps attacking every thing it sees without me clicking anything. This behaviour isn't consistent either =/

The capital city is AWESOME btw. Soooo big. (Divinity or something, forgot the name)

Yeah Divinity's Reach:

I'm surprised at the # of human players aimlessly wandering around in the city when I was there. Makes it feel really alive, despite there being nothing to do. (Everything was level 80 equipment lol)
Old 2012-04-29, 04:39   Link #339
Xion Valkyrie

I like how by default player/NPC names don't show up unless you target them. It really makes the world immersive as it's not immediately obvious who are NPCs and who are players. I mistake players for NPCs and vice versa all the time.
Old 2012-04-29, 05:33   Link #340
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
anyone getting an issue with targetting? My character keeps attacking every thing it sees without me clicking anything. This behaviour isn't consistent either =/
The bugs in it notwithstanding, being able to hit stuff without targeting it is intentional game design.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote