AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-06, 23:20   Link #101
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Sigh, what are the odds this one will never be as good as people 'remembered' ?
Mind Saint Seiya's fans .
Old 2012-07-06, 23:35   Link #102
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I recall the exact date when the first episode to Sailor Moon start broadcast in my country, February 17th 1996.

Back then, I was about 15 years-old, and this one turned me into an active anime fan.

We got all the seasons broadcasted, including Sailor Stars, with all the episodes uncut and unedited, although we didn't get all the OP and ED videos.

I suppose TOEI are behind the animation and scripting the plot for this whole new Sailor Moon.
Old 2012-07-06, 23:38   Link #103
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Sigh, what are the odds this one will never be as good as people 'remembered' ?
I've re-read the Sailor Moon manga many times, and while there were flaws ( way too fast-paced, for better and worse. Tuxedo Mask's role degeneration, transitions between grim-dark and happy-cheerful that were pretty abrupt at times ), I found it to actually stand the test of time rather well.

People tend to forget that Sailor Moon, even half-way through the manga, had stuff like incest, obsession, genocide and all sort of crazy stuff behind its 'Sailor Stars drama.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Just hope Tuxedo Mask ends up a bit more useful. It's kinda always annoyed me when the guys in magical girl series get shafted because they've got the unwanted equipment.
Part of the problem was clearly evident in the very early stages of the series, when they killed off the Four Heavenly Kings and treated them as nothing more than the 1st arc's mid-boss character. Even post-death, they got very very minimal exposure despite being the male equivalent of the Sailor Stars, guardians of Prince Endymion. Prince Endymion pretty much had little development after the 1st arc anyway.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2012-07-06, 23:44   Link #104
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Most people that were Sailor Moon fans back in the 90s, and are now anime fans, are also Madoka and/or Nanoha fans. The overlap is substantial. That's my experience, at least, as a fan of all three franchises and magical girl anime in general.

Now, of course there are people who were big Sailor Moon fans back in the 90s and aren't even into anime at all any more (heck, I personally know a fair number of people like this, including my own sisters). But getting that audience back with them now being adults isn't necessarily going to be easy.

I think that adults in general are less tolerant of things like "Monster of the Week" than young kids are.

Thankfully, it sounds like the manga has quicker pacing than the anime did, so hopefully the "Monster of the Week" element won't drag on too much anyway.

I am not a Sailor Moon fan so I look at it more from the outside perspective, but Sailor Moon is a huge franchise that doesn't need to appeal to the male fandom of magical girl series. I am not saying a lot of Madoka fans don't like Sailor Moon & vice versa but Sailor Moon is huge in itself. My friends who are not anime fans know what Sailor Moon is, they have no clue what Madoka is and that's the difference. That might change over time but that is how it is now.

We can see this quite clearly with how much the manga is selling around the world. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

As for MOTW, I think most older & seasoned fans don't like it but I don't think they should remove it for Madoka/Nanoha fans when that is not the target audience of Sailor Moon.
Old 2012-07-07, 00:32   Link #105
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Sailor Moon is a huge franchise that doesn't need to appeal to the male fandom of magical girl series.
Male fandom of Sailor Moon was HUGE back in the day in Japan.
Old 2012-07-07, 01:37   Link #106
Lota

I'm super happy! I was a fan back then, and I still am. Read the manga not too long ago and I found it more interesting than the anime, though I have to agree that the pacing was super fast. That said, I read the manga in a couple of days, chapter after chapter. If I had read a chapter a month, it probably would have been just fine (I don't know if Sailor Moon was a monthly or bi-monthly series). So, since there will be a week between episodes, the pacing will probably be ok, though this is the first case for me where I wouldn't mind a couple of filler episodes.

What I'm really interested in is how the series will look like. The huge eyes and legs worked in the 90s, but I'm not too sure if it'll work now. On the other hand, those eyes and legs make the iconic image that is Sailor Moon, so making the proportions more realistic probably wouldn't work. Anyway, I can't wait to hear more news!
Old 2012-07-07, 07:00   Link #107
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Male fandom of Sailor Moon was HUGE back in the day in Japan.
And female fandom is huge for a lot of shounen series. It doesn't matter.

I am not saying guys are not going to love this new Sailor Moon too but they are not the target audiences (in the same way they are not in the US for My Little Pony)

My point is Sailor Moon & Madoka/Nanoha have two very diferrent target audiences, that has nothing to do with the fan base. Yes a fan base can reach outside its target demographic (the good shows often do hence why both Sailor Moon & Madoka are interesting series)

Also in my last post I didn't mean to imply that Madoka wasn't a hit. Its a huge hit in Japan & among anime fans, but just not in a more mainstream way like Sailormoon.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:19   Link #108
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm a big fan of Sailormoon back on my elementary days. I love Usagi and Mamoru. I still remember those lines of Sailormoon. It was dubbed in Filipino twice and I'm excited to hear this.....
Old 2012-07-07, 15:30   Link #109
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

Loved Sailor Moon back when I was a kid, saw it again when I was 15 years old and also read the manga.

This will be interesting and something which I'm looking forward for. At least Tuxedo Mask will get some more development.
Old 2012-07-07, 20:12   Link #110
Ialdaboth

The major question that bother me is...

... what will Hideaki Anno think of this remake ?
Old 2012-07-07, 21:23   Link #111
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I am... cautiously optimistic. Once you remove the rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, I hope most people are able to manage their expectations.

For one, I would be curious how in the world will the director manage Usagi. People tend to remember her as a cry-baby, but the reality is if she lost these childlike/un-appealing aspects, she would be so much of a Messiah/Purity-Sue/HighQueen character that the story might be broken.
Old 2012-07-08, 01:25   Link #112
Sakuya
*Artist

Wow, I had to do a double take when I read the news that Sailor Moon is coming back. And immediately after (and all through the night), tons of questions kept popping up. The major ones were what kind of story this will be and if it'll be a kind of reboot starting from the ground up again or maybe even an alternate universe storyline?

And the next important one is what kind of art style it would have. I really hope it won't have any moe honestly; I seem to notice a lot of the anime nowadays tends to make them appear childish which is one reason why I've tuned out of anime for a few years... And what kind of audience they'll be marketing this towards. I read somewhere they initially wanted to market it to both young men and girls when they first started which is why they have the transformation scenes with the sexy vocal music.

Anyway, so excited!

Edit:
Another thought, since Sailor Moon was such a bit hit back in the 90s and it set the genre/the standard back then, wouldn't it be awesome if it did something totally out of the ordinary now and "re-set" the standard once again? Trying not to have my hopes too high... PGSM was something fresh but it didn't stay with me as long as the anime/manga did.
Old 2012-07-08, 08:02   Link #113
ShiroiRyu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swjg-OklS-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIF8NzrqUbQ

Quote:
People tend to forget that Sailor Moon, even half-way through the manga, had stuff like incest, obsession, genocide and all sort of crazy stuff behind its 'Sailor Stars drama.'
It's only in the manga ?
I have to read it after i finish the third part. ^^
I do always that : i finish a part, i read the manga.
And yes, i'm for this Sailor Moon 2013, like i was for Omega.
Old 2012-07-08, 11:11   Link #114
Kyuu
=^^=

A funny and interesting thought.

Sailor Moon characters very much qualifies into next year's edition of Saimoe. Therefore, the "what if Sailor Moon characters were in Saimoe" question will be answered.
Old 2012-07-08, 11:13   Link #115
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just as long as Sailor Saturn doesn't destroy the world in 2012 before we can see the new Sailor Moon.....
Old 2012-07-08, 11:20   Link #116
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
It's only in the manga ?
I have to read it after i finish the third part. ^^
I do always that : i finish a part, i read the manga.
And yes, i'm for this Sailor Moon 2013, like i was for Omega.
Not really, it was there in the anime as well (partly), but the story had been kinda skewed and lost-in-presentation midst all the fillers and character alterations.

But there were many parts in the manga throughout every arc that makes you go : "She really is Togashi's wife."

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2012-07-08, 15:18   Link #117
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Oh wow I don't know if this may be related but I heard Takeuchi has announced she is divorcing Togashi.

Any truth behind that?
No there is nothing like that happening
Old 2012-07-08, 15:59   Link #118
Nikkan

I recently finished a big Sailor Moon marathon some weeks ago, watching every single episode in the right order, which was nice because I had never seen the last season. It's strange how it feels like I finally got some closure to the show after doing that, and now they announce this instead
I'm very worried but happy at the same time, though until we can see some concept art or anything alike I will remain skeptical.
Old 2012-07-08, 18:01   Link #119
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Kunihiko Ikuhara seems to have put rumors of his involvement to rest via twitter.

Translated tweet.

'I think it is better that young people who are determined to have a good go at something will make it, because "Young people have a go at something" was how that was made.'
Old 2012-07-08, 18:32   Link #120
MAX_COLA_POWER!

And they said Kotono Mitsuishi couldn't get work besides the endless Evangelion propaganda. I bet many people who watched this in the past will get their own kids to watch it now.

Tags
remake, shoujo