AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-13, 17:20   Link #24561
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
We're not too far from all 50 states petitioning to secede, lol. I'm just soaking up the drama and enjoying the ride.
i think it is a great idea.

California can keep its federal money in California. Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama can join 3rd world status. And Texas can invade Mexico like it always want to.
Old 2012-11-13, 17:23   Link #24562
sa547
*Author

Quote:
We're not too far from all 50 states petitioning to secede, lol. I'm just soaking up the drama and enjoying the ride.
I've once saw a TV movie about it, all the states going independent.
Old 2012-11-13, 17:29   Link #24563
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So who would sweep in to take the United States' place in the world if we went out that way?

China, or Russia?
Old 2012-11-13, 17:37   Link #24564
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
So who would sweep in to take the United States' place in the world if we went out that way?

China, or Russia?
If the US suddenly implodes today?

My guess would be nobody, at least not for awhile. There would be regional hegemons, but nothing close to the current capability and influence of the US. China have the economic base, but lack the ability to project its power, while Russia is the reverse - they have the hardware and the know-how, but can't really afford to do too much with it.
Old 2012-11-13, 17:42   Link #24565
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:

China, or Russia?
You do realize they are allies just like japan and nazi germany were
Old 2012-11-13, 17:49   Link #24566
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

when California goes Independent, i would propose a fence be built at the AZ border to keep the refugees out.
Old 2012-11-13, 18:17   Link #24567
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i think it is a great idea.

California can keep its federal money in California. Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama can join 3rd world status. And Texas can invade Mexico like it always want to.
Cascadia for the win.... though we might have to go to war to claim Northern California since its part of the same eco-region.

Quote:
Cascadia is the name of a bioregion and proposed country located within the western region of North America. Potential boundaries differ, with some drawn along existing political state and provincial lines, and others drawn along larger ecological, cultural and economic boundaries.
The nation would consist of British Columbia, Canada, along with Oregon, Washington and portions of other states from the United States. At its maximum extent Cascadia would extend from coastal Southeast Alaska to the north, extending into Northern California in the south, and inland to include parts of the Yukon, Idaho, Wyoming and Western Montana.
As measured only by the combination of present B.C., Washington and Oregon statistics, Cascadia would be home to slightly more than 15 million people (15,105,870), and would have an economy generating more than $675 billion worth of goods and services annually.[2][3][4] This number would increase significantly if portions of Northern California, Idaho, and Southern Alaska were also included. Its largest city, Seattle, itself has an economy slightly smaller than Thailand, but larger than Colombia and Venezuela.[5] By land area Cascadia would be the 20th largest country in the world, with a land area of 1,384,588 km² (534,572 sq mi), placing it right behind Mongolia.
Old 2012-11-13, 18:51   Link #24568
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
.......HAHAHAHAHAHA...no. More like Nazi Germany and the USSR
Old 2012-11-13, 18:57   Link #24569
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
the only thing keep China and Russia together is the US.
Old 2012-11-13, 19:18   Link #24570
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
'' Not too far'' ?
How many state have some kind of thoses petition right now. I read about of 2 or 3 so far, even if the actual number being 2 or 3 time bigger, it's hardly close of the number 50.
Old 2012-11-13, 19:20   Link #24571
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:

China, or Russia?
My guess would probably be Europe. But it would be tenuous.
Old 2012-11-13, 19:48   Link #24572
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
'' Not too far'' ?
How many state have some kind of thoses petition right now. I read about of 2 or 3 so far, even if the actual number being 2 or 3 time bigger, it's hardly close of the number 50.
It's definitely close to 50, I don't do hyperbole. I'm not sure the exact number, but it's somewhere in the mid to upper 40s. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

I know nothing is going to come of this, but the drama is fun and I admit that I'm very curious how the White House will respond to these petitions (any petition that reaches 25,000 signatures within a month requires an official response from the Obama administration).
Old 2012-11-13, 19:58   Link #24573
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Russia trade, human rights bill advances in U.S. Congress
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AD01A20121114

Vice President Biden tells Yanukovich of concern over Ukraine election
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AC19D20121113
Old 2012-11-13, 20:11   Link #24574
sa547
*Author

Mexico gripped by boy's cinema killing

As if that batshit insane Joker-wannabe wasn't enough... You have gangs trying to snipe at each other with suppressed pistols even while watching a kid's movie.

Speaking of Petraeus... Heh, he got promoted in a game:
http://www.france24.com/en/20121113-...ps-2-videogame
Old 2012-11-13, 21:16   Link #24575
GDB

Quote:
I know nothing is going to come of this, but the drama is fun and I admit that I'm very curious how the White House will respond to these petitions (any petition that reaches 25,000 signatures within a month requires an official response from the Obama administration).
The Texas one already broke 25k. However, there's a clause that certain petitions (I forget what the qualifications were, but there's four or five things that can discount one) that the White House does not have to respond to.
Old 2012-11-13, 21:31   Link #24576
Sumeragi
Banned

"To avoid the appearance of improper influence, the White House may decline to address certain procurement, law enforcement, adjudicatory, or similar matters properly within the jurisdiction of federal departments or agencies, federal courts, or state and local government in its response to a petition. "
Old 2012-11-13, 21:46   Link #24577
GDB

Yeah, that clause.
Old 2012-11-13, 22:03   Link #24578
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

My bet is that the Obama administration will simply mention Texas v. White as in:

... the court further held that the Constitution did not permit states to unilaterally secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
As if that batshit insane Joker-wannabe wasn't enough... You have gangs trying to snipe at each other with suppressed pistols even while watching a kid's movie.
There was no sniping with suppressed pistols, it was a stray bullet that came from the exterior of the cinema thru the roof.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2012-11-13 at 22:19.
Old 2012-11-14, 04:51   Link #24579
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Protests break out in Jordan, mention king by name

Quote:
Almost two years after the Arab Spring began toppling dictatorships, Jordan is still there, ruled by a pro-Western Hashemite monarchy. There have been a number of will-they-or-won’t-they moments since then, including right now.
As of this writing, protesters are amassing in Amman, the capital, in a demonstration that was initially sparked by cuts to fuel subsidies but have come to more directly address the country’s governing system, including King Abdullah himself. For the moment, you can watch a video stream here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-king-by-name/

Old 2012-11-14, 06:54   Link #24580
killer3000ad

Ireland:Woman denied abortion and later dies
Quote:
“Savita was really in agony. She was very upset, but she accepted she was losing the baby. When the consultant came on the ward rounds on Monday morning Savita asked if they could not save the baby could they induce to end the pregnancy. The consultant said, ‘As long as there is a foetal heartbeat we can’t do anything’.

“Again on Tuesday morning, the ward rounds and the same discussion. The consultant said it was the law, that this is a Catholic country. Savita [a Hindu] said: ‘I am neither Irish nor Catholic’ but they said there was nothing they could do.
At lunchtime the foetal heart had stopped and Ms Halappanavar was brought to theatre to have the womb contents removed. “When she came out she was talking okay but she was very sick. That’s the last time I spoke to her.”

At 11 pm he got a call from the hospital. “They said they were shifting her to intensive care. Her heart and pulse were low, her temperature was high. She was sedated and critical but stable. She stayed stable on Friday but by 7pm on Saturday they said her heart, kidneys and liver weren’t functioning. She was critically ill. That night, we lost her.”

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international