AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-03, 07:53   Link #101
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

If you have Nero as they described it in the link that you have provided to get a bootable CD. (Burning image or something alike)

All you need then is to make sure that the BIOS can boot from CD. You can test this with a Windows CD for example. If it does boot from the Windows CD, then it should also boot from the Memtest CD.

Good luck
Old 2007-08-03, 07:59   Link #102
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
If you have Nero as they described it in the link that you have provided to get a bootable CD. (Burning image or something alike)

All you need then is to make sure that the BIOS can boot from CD. You can test this with a Windows CD for example. If it does boot from the Windows CD, then it should also boot from the Memtest CD.

Good luck
Many thanks..
------
So is its safe to download the newer versions right?
--------

So I'll download this file right? it's the current new version..

Last edited by toru310; 2007-08-03 at 10:12.
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 19:47   Link #103
toru310

Yes I did it..I guess facing your fears can get you somewhere I mean manage to get to memtest but I stopped to after 1%...how long should I live memtest running??? I have a video right here.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=kDDkXlwEJsg
Old 2007-08-04, 04:52   Link #104
toru310

Again I did it but this time I let it do a loop and the computer says that it has no errors.. to bad I didn't got it in video but I took the part when It about to be finished. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ao9dOt7KuW0 does that mean that it has no damage or what so ever?

----------------
Oh yeah I have a question about ram heatsinks if I put some in my ram will it fit in my mobo?
Spoiler:

----------------
Ok ok this is so weird whats the difference between http://www.memtest86.com/ and http://www.memtest86.org//? Because I went to google and found two memtest sites whats the difference between the two??

Last edited by toru310; 2007-08-04 at 06:32.
Old 2007-08-04, 16:18   Link #105
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
Again I did it but this time I let it do a loop and the computer says that it has no errors.. to bad I didn't got it in video but I took the part when It about to be finished. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ao9dOt7KuW0 does that mean that it has no damage or what so ever?

----------------
Oh yeah I have a question about ram heatsinks if I put some in my ram will it fit in my mobo?
Spoiler:

----------------
Ok ok this is so weird whats the difference between http://www.memtest86.com/ and http://www.memtest86.org//? Because I went to google and found two memtest sites whats the difference between the two??
Only the first one is the true site, on the second you will not find memtest. is only a search site
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 20:36   Link #106
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
Only the first one is the true site, on the second you will not find memtest. is only a search site
Wait wait I'm sorry the websites was messed up heres the real site.
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.memtest.org/

Now whats the difference between the two?

I'm so sorry I made a mistake..

Well because I downloaded my image in http://www.memtest86.com/

Should I test my ram with those two sites? or one is enough?
Old 2007-08-04, 22:34   Link #107
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
The original Memtest86 project remained at a standstill for some years (I reckon since 2003), and Memtest86+ was just a fork project in order to keep the program up-to-date. However, January 17 this year, the original Memtest86 project finally released an update. The .com site is the original Memtest86 project--the .org site is the fork, Memtest86+.

There should be no practical difference between the two, but I would rely more on the Memtest86+, since its developers have been actively investing time into it lately. Besides, it's the version I have (memtest86+ comes bundled in the Linux distribution I use, Ubuntu).

Wiki page for the memtest86+ project. If you look in the external links portion, there's a line that says that after years of standstill the memtest86 project finally released an update.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 22:42   Link #108
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The original Memtest86 project remained at a standstill for some years (I reckon since 2003), and Memtest86+ was just a fork project in order to keep the program up-to-date. However, January 17 this year, the original Memtest86 project finally released an update. The .com site is the original Memtest86 project--the .org site is the fork, Memtest86+.

There should be no practical difference between the two, but I would rely more on the Memtest86+, since its developers have been actively investing time into it lately. Besides, it's the version I have (memtest86+ comes bundled in the Linux distribution I use, Ubuntu).

Wiki page for the memtest86+ project. If you look in the external links portion, there's a line that says that after years of standstill the memtest86 project finally released an update.
Finally waiting for that kind of answer thanks.. because lately the two sites are bugging me I don't know which site to trust..

Site topic: regarding memtest if I test my ram is it ok to test them both intact or should I test them one at a time? because I'm pretty much done with my testing and so far no problems found..

Also is it not advisable to transfer files from drive to drive with a bad ram?

Many thanks..
Old 2007-08-04, 22:50   Link #109
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Also is it not advisable to transfer files from drive to drive with a bad ram?
Drive with bad RAM? Drives don't have RAM. Motherboards do.

Old 2007-08-04, 23:02   Link #110
toru310

Quote:
Site topic: regarding memtest if I test my ram is it ok to test them both intact or should I test them one at a time?
Ermm how about my question ^

Quote:
Drive with bad RAM? Drives don't have RAM. Motherboards do.
I mean is it bad to transfer files from hard drive to hard drive with Bad ram intact..?
Old 2007-08-04, 23:14   Link #111
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Oh, sorry, I didn't get the question.

I wouldn't know. Bad RAM causes all sorts of random stuff, all sorts. It can generate a lot of noticeable malfunctions in the system. Think about it: RAM is all the time overwriting itself, the OS needs to make use of the RAM all the time, programs are constantly writing information in the RAM...

I'm not a kernel hacker, so I don't exactly know what are the steps the OS kernel takes when it writes data to a hard drive. My hunch is that it requires, to some degree or the other, an amount of RAM to do it. After that, whether bad RAM affects or not the files being written would probably depend on the particular case (that is, the particular malfunction the piece of RAM is suffering).

Old 2007-08-05, 01:26   Link #112
toru310

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I didn't get the question.

I wouldn't know. Bad RAM causes all sorts of random stuff, all sorts. It can generate a lot of noticeable malfunctions in the system. Think about it: RAM is all the time overwriting itself, the OS needs to make use of the RAM all the time, programs are constantly writing information in the RAM...

I'm not a kernel hacker, so I don't exactly know what are the steps the OS kernel takes when it writes data to a hard drive. My hunch is that it requires, to some degree or the other, an amount of RAM to do it. After that, whether bad RAM affects or not the files being written would probably depend on the particular case (that is, the particular malfunction the piece of RAM is suffering).
Thanks for the effort anyways...It helped alot...
Old 2007-08-08, 10:47   Link #113
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

The most common fault with RAMs is bit flipping. That means that certain operations in certain address spaces cause single or multiple bits to be flipped (1->0 or 0->1).
This can be due to faulty memory cells.
Less often RAM will be that bad, that it actually doesn't store at all in large address spaces (or is not addressable at all).

Both memtests address the bit flipping problem carefully enough, so there is no need to worry which test is better. If both of them work with your system, then you can consider your system's RAM deeply checked with both versions (memtest86 and memtest86+). Afaik the test pattern of even the older memtest versions was already well suited to find most of the buggers. Of course the test will always lack lifeness (means it doesn't operate like in a real life scenario).

Regarding your question of file transfers using bad RAMs. Consider it to be very bad, when your data passes those faulty memory regions (which you will not notice in operation). The data that is to be transfered is always buffered in the RAM.

That was the initial reason for me to make you check your PC with memtest before doing your file reconfiguration on the drives (At this point I was convinced you actually did run the memtest because of the video you sent me... seems like this assumption wasn't right?)
Old 2007-08-08, 21:05   Link #114
toru310

Thanks, Well I did memtest and it didn't have any errors so that made me decide to transfer the files again. so far it ain't crashing..thank god hehe