AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-24, 19:39   Link #21
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

You should reread the part where Mikasa when she was just a kid crushes the handle of the knife with just her bare hand and breaks the wooden plank on the floor simply by sprinting.
That's humanly impossible, especially for someone who most likely weights less than 40kg.

If this isn't just a rule of cool (which I don't exclude) then there's something very strange with her.

In the same page where she crushes the handle you also see what supposedly is her brain... strange huh?

Then you have the fact that Mikasa is physically stronger than everyone else in her squad. There's one point where they comment that Eren is the strongest in hand-to-hand combat after Mikasa. This is different from Annie which wins because of her training, she says it herself that she isn't actually strong. Mikasa on the other hand is simply strong.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:19   Link #22
Accelolita_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
You should reread the part where Mikasa when she was just a kid crushes the handle of the knife with just her bare hand and breaks the wooden plank on the floor simply by sprinting.
That's humanly impossible, especially for someone who most likely weights less than 40kg.

If this isn't just a rule of cool (which I don't exclude) then there's something very strange with her.

In the same page where she crushes the handle you also see what supposedly is her brain... strange huh?

Then you have the fact that Mikasa is physically stronger than everyone else in her squad. There's one point where they comment that Eren is the strongest in hand-to-hand combat after Mikasa. This is different from Annie which wins because of her training, she says it herself that she isn't actually strong. Mikasa on the other hand is simply strong.
Mikasa is like the fanalis (magi) of Shingeki no Kyojin
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 06:29   Link #23
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I think both chapter 30 and chapter 34 are prime candidates. It depends on how much other material they'll be adding to the series in general. If they end the series on chapter 34, that's a pretty big cliffhanger of sorts in terms of "wtf is going on???", but if they end it on chapter 30, it'll feel like they just survived a dangerous encounter to fight another day. There's a one month time skip after chapter 30 too, which might fit well into the start of another season if that's their intention.
If they're sticking with the flashbacks, that's probably too far along for a 24-episode. I think chapter 21 would work great as a cliffhanger. If they animate and score it right it can be really epic (with an establishing shot showing the entire scouting legion marching into enemy territories) and a great note to end the series/season on.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 09:16   Link #24
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

I assumed that was just one of those adrenaline fueled moments you often see in shounen where a character surpasses human limits for a few seconds. It's exaggerated for dramatic effect. The shot of her brain was supposed to represent the change in her state of mind which she mentions the panel earlier. That's the moment she "broke".

As for her being stronger than everybody else in hand to hand combat, I don't think it's impossible. Tons of frail looking heroines in fiction can effortlessly kick the butt of men twice their own size, so it's reasonable for Mikasa who is actually pretty buff (dem abs) to be able to do the same.

Maybe I'm just in denial. I just love regular humans who can fight on par with superpowered humans/monsters/demons/whatever through sheer willpower and badassness so I'd be disappointed if Mikasa turned out not to be one of them. Her being special would actually make her less special in my eyes. At least I'll still have Rivaille.
Old 2013-04-25, 09:20   Link #25
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Maybe I'm just in denial. I just love regular humans who can fight on par with superpowered humans/monsters/demons/whatever through sheer willpower and badassness so I'd be disappointed if Mikasa turned out not to be one of them. At least I'll still have Rivaille.
she might not be a titan now, but in the future?

assuming that whatever injection Eren's father gave to him can engineer human to become a titan and...

especially since Eren always getting his ass kicked everytime he encounters new enemy
Old 2013-04-25, 09:46   Link #26
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
I assumed that was just one of those adrenaline fueled moments you often see in shounen where a character surpasses human limits for a few seconds. It's exaggerated for dramatic effect. The shot of her brain was supposed to represent the change in her state of mind which she mentions the panel earlier. That's the moment she "broke".

As for her being stronger than everybody else in hand to hand combat, I don't think it's impossible. Tons of frail looking heroines in fiction can effortlessly kick the butt of men twice their own size, so it's reasonable for Mikasa who is actually pretty buff (dem abs) to be able to do the same.

Maybe I'm just in denial. I just love regular humans who can fight on par with superpowered humans/monsters/demons/whatever through sheer willpower and badassness so I'd be disappointed if Mikasa turned out not to be one of them. Her being special would actually make her less special in my eyes. At least I'll still have Rivaille.
Well you asked when did she display inhuman strength, right? She objectively did.

And I'm not outright denying that it might be just the usual overdramatized surge of adrenaline-driven strength that you often see in shounen manga. Perhaps it is.

Old 2013-04-25, 13:56   Link #27
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
The problem I have with this is that no one else ever displays this type of limit breaking. The story plays up the fragility of humans constantly, yet she's never really shown the same way. She's head and shoulders above every other human so far, almost too much so.

It's either the biggest red herring in the story, or there's something special about her.
Old 2013-04-25, 14:00   Link #28
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
She's head and shoulders above every other human so far, almost too much so.
Do we know how she's fare against Rivaille?
Old 2013-04-25, 14:10   Link #29
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Do we know how she's fare against Rivaille?
The closest we have is that Mikasa herself acknowledges Rivaille's skill/speed during their fight to retrieve Eren from Titan Annie's mouth. The translation I read of Mikasa's speech during that fight had her describe Rivaille as "impossibly fast" (or something along that line)
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 18:10   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've always been under the impression Rivaille (Levi? This is really bugging me) is far stronger than Mikasa. He can take titans down effortlessly and he was incredible against Annie. He uses moves nobody else uses. Even Mikasa herself was impressed. I'm sure she'll surpass him with time, but at the moment she's probably "only" at veteran level. She still needs more experience before she can call herself the strongest human in the legion.
Old 2013-04-25, 18:32   Link #31
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I think it is pretty likely that Mikasa does have some sort of special ability beyond mere physical conditioning, based on page 33 of Volume 2. I am pretty confident that this "mark of her clan" will be brought up again at some point in the future, possibly being revealed as a source of power. With everything else that has been very subtly foreshadowed through seemingly throwaway scenes and dialog, I will be shocked if this doesn't become relevant in some way.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 18:52   Link #32
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
I've always been under the impression Rivaille (Levi? This is really bugging me) is far stronger than Mikasa. He can take titans down effortlessly and he was incredible against Annie. He uses moves nobody else uses. Even Mikasa herself was impressed. I'm sure she'll surpass him with time, but at the moment she's probably "only" at veteran level. She still needs more experience before she can call herself the strongest human in the legion.
Depends on what you mean with "strong". Is Mikasa a deadlier Titan-slaying machine than Rivaille? I'd say no. Rivaille is still the number one (she is probably the second though).

But would Rivaille win against Mikasa in an arm wrestle match? I'm more than certain that he wouldn't.

For the same reason we can't really be sure about who won that hand-to-hand match between Mikasa and Annie. Mikasa is undoubtedly stronger when it comes to physical power, but Annie knows techniques that allow her to use the enemy's strength to her own advantage.

In other words "skill" and "strength" are two separate things.

Old 2013-04-26, 11:53   Link #33
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
If they're sticking with the flashbacks, that's probably too far along for a 24-episode. I think chapter 21 would work great as a cliffhanger. If they animate and score it right it can be really epic (with an establishing shot showing the entire scouting legion marching into enemy territories) and a great note to end the series/season on.
Chapter 21? No way. They're moving much, much faster than that. What sort of calculation are you using to get that result?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 12:01   Link #34
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Depends on what you mean with "strong". Is Mikasa a deadlier Titan-slaying machine than Rivaille? I'd say no. Rivaille is still the number one (she is probably the second though).

But would Rivaille win against Mikasa in an arm wrestle match? I'm more than certain that he wouldn't.

For the same reason we can't really be sure about who won that hand-to-hand match between Mikasa and Annie. Mikasa is undoubtedly stronger when it comes to physical power, but Annie knows techniques that allow her to use the enemy's strength to her own advantage.

In other words "skill" and "strength" are two separate things.
I meant stronger as a solider in general, not stronger physically. Strength doesn't seem all that important when it comes to titan slaying. Speed and skills are what matters, and when it comes to them, she's behind Rivaille.
Old 2013-04-26, 13:04   Link #35
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Chapter 21? No way. They're moving much, much faster than that. What sort of calculation are you using to get that result?
Well right now they seem to be moving at a rate of 1-2 chapters per episode (eps1 and 2 each covers ch1 and parts of ch2 while ep3 chs15-16) and they're putting quite a bit of focus on the training flashbacks which leads me to think that they intend to drag the Trost arc well into the mid-season.

It also doesn't look like they want to cram in as much story as possible and ep2 demonstrates that. From a creative standpoint it makes sense to end the season with a cliffhanger/foreshadowing and imo there's none as glorious and menacing as the scouting legion riding into the plains at the end of chapter 21.

That's not to say your deductions are without merits, but the Female Titan arc is quite long so I don't think they'll be able to cover the whole of it with what's left of the 24-5 episodes lest they risk cutting it off midway or condensing the Trost arc either of which is not something I'd like to see happening.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 14:00   Link #36
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Well right now they seem to be moving at a rate of 1-2 chapters per episode (eps1 and 2 each covers ch1 and parts of ch2 while ep3 chs15-16) and they're putting quite a bit of focus on the training flashbacks which leads me to think that they intend to drag the Trost arc well into the mid-season.

It also doesn't look like they want to cram in as much story as possible and ep2 demonstrates that. From a creative standpoint it makes sense to end the season with a cliffhanger/foreshadowing and imo there's none as glorious and menacing as the scouting legion riding into the plains at the end of chapter 21.

That's not to say your deductions are without merits, but the Female Titan arc is quite long so I don't think they'll be able to cover the whole of it with what's left of the 24-5 episodes lest they risk cutting it off midway or condensing the Trost arc either of which is not something I'd like to see happening.
But think about this. The show is 25 episodes. By the end of episode 4, chapters 1-3 and 15-18 will be accounted for. From the anime magazine summaries, we know for a fact that episode 5 is the start of their mission post-training. It also has the same episode title as chapter 5.

Even if we assume that the pace slows to a crawl of 1 chapter per episode all the way to the end (which would be a really bad thing especially for action heavy chapters where several of them can easily fit into a single episode), ep5-25 = 21 episodes. With 7 chapters already accounted for, that would bring us up to chapter 28.

Since there are a few chapters which are simply pure action with a small amount of dialogue and actual character interaction, getting to chapter 30-34 (or even more if they decide to move faster) within 25 episodes is really easy. They'll probably be able to fit more original content not in the manga along the way too.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 10:32   Link #37
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I wanted to answer to this post
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...4&postcount=32
But then I realized it would be spoilerish no matter what I said, I'll do it here.

In a word: Armin

If there's anyone that Annie has a weak spot for, that's Armin. Don't you think so?

Old 2013-04-27, 10:51   Link #38
Raviel

That would be weird though, Annie and Armin have barely had any interaction with each other. Annie probably only spared Armin because he was Eren's friend (well either that or she spared Armin for the same reason Mikasa couldn't kill Reiner and Bertholdt).

I really think if there's anyone Annie has a weakspot for, it's Eren, the only time I think Annie has been shown to smile was when she offered to teach Eren more about hand to hand combat.

There's also the flashback in the latest chapter where she grappled Eren for quite some time until Mikasa threw Reiner at them, at that point **** got real because Mikasa looked really pissed.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 11:14   Link #39
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Annie and Armin........never really thought about it. Did they have any interactions besides the whole trying to capture Annie incident?
And I think Annie would have spared Mikasa or even Jean or Sasha if they were in a similar situation to Armin when they first met her in titan form.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 11:20   Link #40
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

So you think the whole "If you refuse to help me you'll be a bad person to me" didn't have any effect at all on Annie?

I thought that Armin said so because he knew it would have worked if it was specifically about himself.