AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-04-20, 18:38   Link #8101
suikostar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Possibly. Rather than Akune or Hinokage, though, the first other candidate I would think of is Miyakonojou. The first factor in Medaka throwing out that statement like that was that she was responding to Kumagawa's confession/statement of romantic interest. This cuts out Hinokage, as the pool should obviously be limited to persons whom think of Medaka a woman, and whom Medaka thinks of as a man.

On a separate aspect, Medaka's statement was explicitly spoken in connection with marriage. This has specific implications which I think are fairly limited to individuals like Kumagawa. The thing is that marriage in Japan has a lot of formal/social implications which don't necessarily have any connection to romanticism; particularly in the case of upper class marriages, which is is most definitely the scenario for Medaka herself. In saying that she would consent to a practically immediate marriage to Kumagawa, Medaka is confessing first of all that she has a trust/confidence in Misogi regarding all of those social conditions. The romantic aspect is secondary (I am not certain Medaka has any determined concept of romanticism), and is suitable to be left for later; the aforementioned "respect" we have been talking is the primary basis for having confidence that that will somehow work out.

The point here I am saying, then, is that this is actually a fairly specific compliment (or a compliment in a fairly specific area) from Medaka to Kumagawa. Certainly Medaka would probably agree to "go out" with Zenkichi or Kouki (after she's thought about various other people's feelings, I guess, if she noticed them). However, on the issue of marriage, I think Medaka's "If it's you, Kumagawa" applies more or less specifically. This is because Kumagawa is one of the rare people actually romantically interested in Medaka who hasn't gone through the whole admiration/idolation "Medaka is perfect/always right" stage. Zenkichi/Kouki may have matured/stepped towards independence, but they have still barely started their lives without her. Any romantic relationship Medaka could have with them would have to be tempered by the fact that they would need to keep some distance so as not to regress that growth. It would need to be proceeded gradually (i.e. through dating/courtship), rather than stepping immediately into such ostentatiously unified/intimate roles as "wife"/"husband". The dynamics of their relationships are highly different from the one Medaka has with Kumagawa, whereby Kumagawa's independence from Medaka has long been established already.

If you ask me, "I'd marry you tomorrow, Kumagawa" says that Medaka wouldn't mind getting closer to Misogi (yes, even that close). This is in contrast to her relationships with Akune and Zenkichi, where the important thing is actually their ability to stand individually. So, as far as shipping material, I think it's fairly favourable for Misogi. In terms of overall possibilities regarding whether the romance in Medaka Box will actually go somewhere, I think Kumagawa is in fact extremely obvious second choice.
Wrong, at least in my opinion. Take the suroundings when Medaka said that she would marry Kumagawa.She was about to be married to one of those EXTREME weirdos, and be4 that she says "If it's you, Kumagawa", so that was probably an implication on what lv Kumagawa was and on what those 5 suitors.
"If it's you, Kumagawa." and I'd marry you tomorrow, Kumagawa" make a clear statement if you take into account the current situation and what was happening.

Also remember the dark scene behind Medaka when she said she woul marry him. Such things can mean a lot in a manga. About Zenkichi bein graduated from Medaka, there was actually no need for that, he was by her side because he loves her, in last arc he showed that his love was true and behaved as mature as it could have been done.
suikostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 19:25   Link #8102
FFXFan13
Swag Level: Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by suikostar View Post
Wrong, at least in my opinion. Take the suroundings when Medaka said that she would marry Kumagawa.She was about to be married to one of those EXTREME weirdos, and be4 that she says "If it's you, Kumagawa", so that was probably an implication on what lv Kumagawa was and on what those 5 suitors.
"If it's you, Kumagawa." and I'd marry you tomorrow, Kumagawa" make a clear statement if you take into account the current situation and what was happening.

Also remember the dark scene behind Medaka when she said she woul marry him. Such things can mean a lot in a manga. About Zenkichi bein graduated from Medaka, there was actually no need for that, he was by her side because he loves her, in last arc he showed that his love was true and behaved as mature as it could have been done.
Well, in the end all it comes down to is, some people want to see it as ship teasing, some people don't. There are perfectly logical arguments for both sides, so it's better to agree to disagree then claim one side is "wrong".
FFXFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 19:38   Link #8103
kenjtr

I want an arc where girls who loves zenkichi fights and the one who becomes winner got right to confess lol By the way i am pretty sure medakas sister loves zenkichi which can turn into a pretty sad situation in the future .
kenjtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 19:46   Link #8104
FFXFan13

I... Can't tell if you're being serious or not
Old 2012-04-20, 21:15   Link #8105
Valid

people talking about the anime ONLY being 12 episodes when there has not been an OFFICIAL confirmation as of now, well we jus have to wait for the episode to reach 12 to make any judgements........... anyway great chapter this week, thanks to cxc scans for their hard work on this chapter
Valid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 21:36   Link #8106
FFXFan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid View Post
anyway great chapter this week, thanks to cxc scans for their hard work on this chapter
While the pictures of Ajimu were pretty cool, the rest of the chapter was just kinda "meh" to me

But my sympathies do go out to whoever translated Ajimu's skills, that must have been hell to do...
Old 2012-04-20, 21:59   Link #8107
bumbayker

As I thought Zenkichi would take notice of their disappearance and follow them. Now it begs the question to how he'll figure out where their location is and how he'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFXFan13 View Post
But my sympathies do go out to whoever translated Ajimu's skills, that must have been hell to do...
I don't think translating the skills was the hard part. Compressing 100 skills and have them fit each page is more difficult IMO. CXC did a good job editing and making it readable..
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 22:29   Link #8108
novalysis

Medaka doesn't want a puppet for a husband. And I'd imagine she's well aware of her ability to reduce even some very remarkable individuals into drooling pools of walking carbon enamored and completely under her spell, charisma and presence.

Given right now, the Jet Black Bride Arc is all about Medaka winning the freedom to choose who she marries, there's a very high possibility that the next arc will deconstruct the Romantic and Marriage preferences of highly intelligent Ojous who are aware of their status and societal expectations it brings, but have expectations and demands for their own from their prospective partners.

There's a strong chance that this entire discussion might be analyzed in great detail, in the next arc. Just what kind of man would a Mary Sue who could get anyone she wanted really wants?

Indeed, one of the central questions of the manga so far centers on the motivations of "Perfect" humans. If you are perfect, what meaning is there in life? If you could do anything with ease and competence, what do you value? I'm reminded of a commentator (who never read the manga) who pointed out that the anime could only be saved if Medaka was confronted with people not under her spell.

Which is basically the entire basis of the plot, flask plan onwards. The first two arc shows just what it's like to be around Medaka as a normal. Every subsequent arc deconstructs the first two, and multiple genres.

If Medaka Box is already deconstructing Shounen, perhaps it might deconstruct and mock and parody Shojou romance next? How about mocking the basis of the Harem Protagonist? Because if you think of it carefully, Medaka Box could easily veer towards a mockery of Harem - with Medaka as the rare Female Harem Protagonist.

It's a shame that the animators don't appreciate, or truly grasp the story of Medaka Box. Had they did, they should have sped through the first two arcs in quick "sketch" style, the likes we see in Danshi Nichijou. (With the exception of Akune and Kikajima's stories). Then, the coherent narrative should begin with the Enforcer Arc.

I agree that if they had only 12 episodes, they should have prioritized hitting the flask plan in one Cour. Anything before that is mere buildup at best, and filler at worst, from an anime adaptation standpoint.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 22:42   Link #8109
telamont

My question at the end of chapter 142: Those perverts are going to compete with Ajimu... how?

This chapter's answer: They don't.

Ajimu is love. That is all.

Really have to laugh at the preview text at the end though: "Medaka and co. are in danger? This man will come to save them!!"

Assuming that Nisio is not simply trolling (most likely possibility imo), anyone wants to speculate on how Zenkichi could possibly make a difference where the combination of Shiranui's brains and Kumagawa + Medaka + Ajimu's godhax failed?

I tried really hard and kinda...failed. The best I could come up with was: The enemy was ridiculously lucky / Kumagawa's bad luck started really acting up. The moment Zen gets close enough for his Devil style to have an effect, that goes away. He arrives at the scene just as Medaka and co. have finished steamrolling the competition. Medaka realized what happened and thanks him for being there. The end.

And his journey to become, in Ajimu's words, "the ultimate deconstruction of classic main characters" is complete. Usually, the classic main character brings with him the power of plot armor, with which he and his comrades will beat the godhax villain. Zen...removes the plot armor which keeps the villains from getting steamrolled by his godhax comrades, after which, the villains...obviously get steamrolled.

But that kind of development sets him up to be just an ornament in the future though. Zen just has to be there and play the straight man. He contributes to the battles with his mere presence, after all. Medaka/Ajimu/Kumgawa...will get all the action and be enough to take care of anything else. So I doubt it'll happen. Not to this manga's main sidekick character / secondary protagonist. So anyone else wants to take a shot at how Zen will make a difference? With the coming break, we have a long time to speculate.
telamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 22:58   Link #8110
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by telamont View Post
My question at the end of chapter 142: Those perverts are going to compete with Ajimu... how?

This chapter's answer: They don't.

Ajimu is love. That is all.

Really have to laugh at the preview text at the end though: "Medaka and co. are in danger? This man will come to save them!!"

Assuming that Nisio is not simply trolling (most likely possibility imo), anyone wants to speculate on how Zenkichi could possibly make a difference where the combination of Shiranui's brains and Kumagawa + Medaka + Ajimu's godhax failed?

I tried really hard and kinda...failed. The best I could come up with was: The enemy was ridiculously lucky / Kumagawa's bad luck started really acting up. The moment Zen gets close enough for his Devil style to have an effect, that goes away. He arrives at the scene just as Medaka and co. have finished steamrolling the competition. Medaka realized what happened and thanks him for being there. The end.

And his journey to become, in Ajimu's words, "the ultimate deconstruction of classic main characters" is complete. Usually, the classic main character brings with him the power of plot armor, with which he and his comrades will beat the godhax villain. Zen...removes the plot armor which keeps the villains from getting steamrolled by his godhax comrades, after which, the villains...obviously get steamrolled.

But that kind of development sets him up to be just an ornament in the future though. Zen just has to be there and play the straight man. He contributes to the battles with his mere presence, after all. Medaka/Ajimu/Kumgawa...will get all the action and be enough to take care of anything else. So I doubt it'll happen. Not to this manga's main sidekick character / secondary protagonist. So anyone else wants to take a shot at how Zen will make a difference? With the coming break, we have a long time to speculate.
Actually Zen being there would be sorta bad. Remember it's repeatly stressed that Medaka is the "main character". It's shown time and time again that Medaka seems to have plot armor to protect her and always conviently has a ability or power up to cover for her whenver she's faced with a stronger opponent. Devil Style get's rid of that meaning Medaka will actually have to face opponents without a convient power up.

Also villains lack plot armor. If a real hax villain appears that dwarf's even Ajimu they would normally lose however in most shonuen cases the heroes will conviently figure out a weakness in the opponents ability. Devil Style also get's rid of that convience meaning that if Medaka and co were to meet someone that out-hax's them with Zen around their screwed.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 23:01   Link #8111
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

...I dont' know about the Harem thing since Zenkichi pretty much has one despite him being fairly dead set on Medaka. And as for my two-cents on the entire 'romance' thing - I'm for Meda/Zen all the way.
Old 2012-04-20, 23:08   Link #8112
telamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Actually Zen being there would be sorta bad. Remember it's repeatly stressed that Medaka is the "main character". It's shown time and time again that Medaka seems to have plot armor to protect her and always conviently has a ability or power up to cover for her whenver she's faced with a stronger opponent. Devil Style get's rid of that meaning Medaka will actually have to face opponents without a convient power up.

Also villains lack plot armor. If a real hax villain appears that dwarf's even Ajimu they would normally lose however in most shonuen cases the heroes will conviently figure out a weakness in the opponents ability. Devil Style also get's rid of that convience meaning that if Medaka and co were to meet someone that out-hax's them with Zen around their screwed.
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that Medaka's victories so far are because she's just that hax. Powering up when facing a strong opponent is an intrinsic part of "The End" after all. Her "plot armor" and being "the main character" only came into play when she was about to face Ajimu. But since the expected fight never went down, we never even got to see it in action. And now, she has Kumagawa ("the final boss") and Ajimu (GOD) on her side...she does not need plot armor to win, the enemy needs plot armor to have a chance. And villains do have plot armor. Until the main character beats / "befriends" them, they won't be shown losing to anyone else. So yea.
Old 2012-04-20, 23:11   Link #8113
kenjtr

Why is medakas suitors are female ? i just dont get the reason of that its not like two girls can marry and what does this have to do with trolling , isnt author just wants to put girls everywhere ? I actually noticed this for a while ago in medaka box men are usually weak while girls are extremly dominant , does author hates men ?
Old 2012-04-20, 23:16   Link #8114
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by telamont View Post
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that Medaka's victories so far are because she's just that hax. Powering up when facing a strong opponent is an intrinsic part of "The End" after all. Her "plot armor" and being "the main character" only came into play when she was about to face Ajimu. But since the expected fight never went down, we never even got to see it in action. And now, she has Kumagawa ("the final boss") and Ajimu (GOD) on her side...she does not need plot armor to win, the enemy needs plot armor to have a chance. So yea.
The opponent could always out hax Medaka and co. It's always possible that their are being even stronger then Ajimu. Also the opponents could be specifically designed to counter hax. Anything is possible in this series.

I remember several opponents at the start of the manga that completely dominated her yet she busted out new and unheard of moves. Also against her cousin, she was losing badly but then unexplainably won by depowering herself. It wasn't even explained why she suddenly defeated a opponent she couldn't touch before. That's plot armor right there.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 23:17   Link #8115
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

chapter 143 is out

that Anshin lol i should give praise to cxc scanlation group on translating those huge amount of texts XD
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 23:24   Link #8116
Akarin

^Oh wow, they really did it.
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 23:26   Link #8117
kenjtr

I think author just wasted 6 pages with ashin while he could have draw it in just one page anyway i still dont get why suitors are female , maybe there is something we are missing here . Could it be real goal of this event isnt medaka but another person or did they do that because medaka entered in a boys place .
Old 2012-04-20, 23:26   Link #8118
telamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
The opponent could always out hax Medaka and co. It's always possible that their are being even stronger then Ajimu. Also the opponents could be specifically designed to counter hax. Anything is possible in this series.

I remember several opponents at the start of the manga that completely dominated her yet she busted out new and unheard of moves. Also against her cousin, she was losing badly but then unexplainably won by depowering herself. It wasn't even explained why she suddenly defeated a opponent she couldn't touch before. That's plot armor right there.
Outhax Medaka and Kumagawa? OK. No problem there. Outhax Ajimu? It's been explicitly stated in the manga that she's the Medaka Universe's closest equivalent of God, a being who has been unrivaled since the beginning of time. To have someone who outhaxes her just suddenly show up out of the wood works...after how many billions of years was it again? Did you go even go through the list of her abilities? And that's ONLY 600 of them. Yea, I suppose ANYTHING is possible, but I just can't see how the author could do it in a way that won't make me roll my eyes.
Old 2012-04-20, 23:28   Link #8119
Akarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjtr View Post
I think author just wasted 6 pages with ashin while he could have draw it in just one page anyway i still dont get why suitors are female , maybe there is something we are missing here . Could it be real goal of this event isnt medaka but another person or did they do that because medaka entered in a boys place .
God, what if they were actually after Zenkichi.
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 23:39   Link #8120
telamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akarin View Post
God, what if they were actually after Zenkichi.
Or maybe they're after Akune? Zen's not the ONLY person smitten with Medaka. And of the pair, Akune's supposed to be the brilliant and handsome prince the ladies go for, you know. Just saying.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council