Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-18, 08:13   Link #341
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I can't agree. Tomoko is an anti-hero who brings most of her problems on herself, sure, but she's still presented sympathetically. The mangaka don't want us to just laugh at her screw-ups -- they also want us to feel bad about doing it. At the end of the first episode we're supposed to laugh at the ugly face she uses to escape WcDonalds -- until Tomoki's friend comments on it and she runs away crying, at which point we realize that we're bastards.
That's where I disagree. I don't think the intention is to make us feel bad. Tomoko is not portrayed in a sympathetic light - people sympathized with her on their own because of her predicament. The author never went out of his way to make her likable, quite the contrary in fact. It's first and foremost a comedy series. You should be able to laugh at Tomoko and at the same time laugh at yourself if you happened to have been in similar situations (I believe it's very important to be able to do that) without feeling guilty. I see it as a satire of all these wish-fulfillment series starring "otaku losers" suddenly becoming super popular with all the ladies because they're nice. We shouldn't take it too seriously.

The subject matter (social isolation) is serious but the way it's treated isn't. It's supposed to make us laugh and perhaps think but definitely not make us feel bad imo. Of course, we'll never know the author's true intentions for sure unless he himself voices them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I kind of get that but is she really a horrible person or is she a horrible person because of her situation?

It's a chicken & egg sort of situation.
The spin-off manga "It's not my fault my friend's not popular" which also serves as a prequel sort of gives an answer to that. You might want to check it out (it's very short). I think it's a bit both.
Old 2013-07-18, 09:16   Link #342
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veviticus View Post
Is there going to be any character development for Tomoko? I might drop it early if she stays alone throughout the entire series. It's just so depressing for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Yeah I think I am going to have a hard time following the series if the character is not going to get better.
I think the best way to answer would be to direct you guys to some of the recent manga discussion. There are some vague spoilers but nothing too specific.

However, I will say that anyone who's wavering on this series because it's depressing -- bail out now.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 11:22   Link #343
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
O_____________o whaaaaaaaaaaaat what about all those yandere bitches who go "I'LL KILL YOU AND MYSELF IF YOU DON'T CHOOSE ME!!"

There's nothing creepy about Tomoko. She's just socially awkward and cynical.
The yandere bitches are hot.
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 11:39   Link #344
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

was a little late on watching the second episode, and it was so great, the ending was absolutely perfect fitting with the scene
the anime is doing a pretty good job on portraying the scene with the music

this anime is the best
Old 2013-07-18, 14:05   Link #345
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Just watched the first two episodes of Watamote, and liked what I saw from the moment that awesome heavy metal opening started!

And then I met Tomoko, and, well.. .I was a bit... OK more than a bit like a male version of her when I was in high school... So I feel for her and see where this is coming from. (I'm a lot better now, especially seeing as I can laugh at my past).

Great piece of dark comedy, but at the same time, I couldn't help feeling for the poor girl- having gone through something like that myself.

I'd even say Tomoko would make a good match for myself at about 15, though I'm not if my past self would get along with her (even if I could speak Japanese or she English). I think that would be hilarious in and of itself.

119'S PAST SELF X TOMOKO KUROKI FOREVER!!!
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 20:21   Link #346
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I knew a girl like this. It makes me guilty and uncomfortable to laugh at her even when she causes part of embarrassment for herself. This isn't for me. And all the loners are bitter and twisted it seems. I haven't seen a loner who's happier for it and practically a samaritan. I find it unreasonable to expect the loner to act normal and not be misanthropic especially teenagers when they are at the most vulnerable stage.
Old 2013-07-18, 21:36   Link #347
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I guess I'm all alone in that all I thought of the episode was "Social Anxiety Disorder? What's that? TomokoXPartner FTW!" Even better that Tomoko is also reading too much into things herself, so I guess you can't fault me for thinking the same...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 10:47   Link #348
s07195
However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
My gratitude for the avy.
Old 2013-07-19, 21:24   Link #349
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I lol'd at YANDERE BOYS

It's a little weird though knowing that this could've been me at 15. Only, I didn't stutter at people I actually talked to them :lol:
Old 2013-07-19, 23:13   Link #350
Sakabatou
Inactive Member

Just wanted to say I didn't understand the craze behind this show when the manga was out, but the anime has opened my eyes. Tomoko is one seriously funny girl. When she took out her ipod to listen to Yandere boys my god...
Sakabatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 01:35   Link #351
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
But... and no offense to the Japanese, good luck finding that sort of help in Japan. The taboo against psychological help means that she's literally screwed, unless her parents happen to be more liberal than normal. The alarm bells are shrieking, but it is utterly shameful to answer the bells.
Ehh, you DO realize you're speakingto a Japanese right?
What, am I too abnormal as a Japanese, and have no right to represent my own people?
SAD and other forms of conditions are clinically treated in Japan every day. In fact, you can find psychiatrist office anywhere and everywhere in Japan, partially due to depression (known as Utu-byou in Japan) is such a common symptom in Japan, and advised to be treated all the time.
In fact, there are even treatments invented in Japan dating back to early 20th century.

Don't judge if you don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
O_____________o whaaaaaaaaaaaat what about all those yandere bitches who go "I'LL KILL YOU AND MYSELF IF YOU DON'T CHOOSE ME!!"

There's nothing creepy about Tomoko. She's just socially awkward and cynical.
We're not in their heads all the time, with their thoughts constantly presented to us, unlike with Watamote.
Which makes their exaggerated insanity a lot less relatable than a show that focuses on monologue in first person perspective.
I'm sure if we had a show, where the stream of thought of a yandere was constantly portrayed to the audience, it'd be just as creepy.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-07-20 at 02:06.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 09:43   Link #352
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Ehh, you DO realize you're speakingto a Japanese right?
What, am I too abnormal as a Japanese, and have no right to represent my own people?
SAD and other forms of conditions are clinically treated in Japan every day. In fact, you can find psychiatrist office anywhere and everywhere in Japan, partially due to depression (known as Utu-byou in Japan) is such a common symptom in Japan, and advised to be treated all the time.
In fact, there are even treatments invented in Japan dating back to early 20th century.

Don't judge if you don't know.
I apologize if I have offended you, with that statement. I did not intend to imply that you were abnormal.

The post was made on three assumptions.

The first was that Tomoko needs help, which seems to be the consensus here.

The second assumption was that Tomoko lacks the ability to get the proper help she needs. Again, I don't think there's much dispute of that.

The third assumption was that it was less likely that her family would get her that help.

Either because : a) They are unaware that Tomoko has a problem. Which seems to be the more likely scenario, based on what the anime has shown.

or b) There's a reluctance to seek help, because of "face".

Which is probably a false stereotype unfortunately perpetuated too widely outside Japan, and if that's the case, I sincerely apologize for that. I did not meant to imply that Japan lacked excellent psychologist and mental health services.

It's just that I was questioning whether Tomoko's family would avail themselves of that, if they realized just how big a problem their daughter had.

If it offended you, I apologize once again.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 10:09   Link #353
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It's alright, those are all good points.
My main beef was the assumption based on stereotype, and not actual facts.
Old 2013-07-21, 05:56   Link #354
Mubyoshi

After watching episode 2, I gotta say this anime is depressing as hell. I can't even laugh at her anymore.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 15:58   Link #355
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Self-sarcasm anyone I personally find it hilarious for the same reason a lot of people find it depressing... a lot of her awkward mannerism and mental isolation resonates with my childhood, and of course it wasn't funny then, but nonetheless is now
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 20:20   Link #356
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I lol'd at YANDERE BOYS

It's a little weird though knowing that this could've been me at 15. Only, I didn't stutter at people I actually talked to them :lol:
Haha that makes me suspect that she craves abuse.
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 12:38   Link #357
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 14:02   Link #358
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, after watching eps 1 and 2 I must say that my experience of watching the series is equivalent to reading the manga - it makes me squirm, but it makes me squirm b/c I feel so amazingly sorry for Tomoko, while at the same time her lamentable state is held up in extreme terms as a subject for humor....

I guess as far as that goes the series is very well done in terms of faithfulness to the source, but I have known people like this and it is very hard for me to regard it as a subject for comedy. Hmm ... "tragi-comedy"?

I will drop the series, but not b/c I think it is poorly done - it is very well done, I just don't like the story line as I have known people like that and using their suffering as a source of humor hits too many of my personal sensitivities....
Old 2013-07-22, 23:01   Link #359
Utsuro no Hako

Man, episode 3 is harsh. When the PV last week mentioned Tomoko getting stuck in the rain, I expected this would be an upbeat episode because all I remember about that chapter is the guys giving her an umbrella in the end. I'd forgotten the bit about her going to the bathroom to cry after embarrassing herself.

And to top it off, the writer took another rainy day chapter from later in the series which is even worse. The moment when Tomoko starts crying after getting chewed out is really hard to take. Thankfully the third chapter the writer chose was a much more fun bit with Tomoko trolling her brother. And as a result we get the Stealth Moko and Kuroki's Basketball jokes in the same episdoe.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 02:21   Link #360
Traece
:cool:

Poor Tomoko. Those boys were nice enough to ignore how completely strange her dialogue was and then they even bought her a new umbrella. She's being spoiled by strangers.

This episode was surprisingly light-hearted compared to all the others. There was actually a whole lot of nice stuff here. We even got to see Tomoko legitimately take half-assed care of her sick brother.

Tags
coming of age, dark comedy, high school, satire, slice of life