AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-04, 15:18   Link #22941
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
A better way to adapt it would be to make the Denizens Chaos Factor a part of Nanohaverse magic (there are ore then 800 types out there after all) the basics are the same, but the Denizens could develop 'specialties' ranging from what is listed.
So basically give every Denizen a linker core and have the Chaos Factor manifest as unique talents like Acous's ghost hounds (or whatever they were called) or the Saint's Armor?

The big reason I'm bringing up the Denizens is because I'm seriously considering Etna as a high AAA-ranked character, and the Chaos Factor is a perfect explanation for why Etna has succubus traits, namely her wings and tail. It also serves to explain the dual-element linker core; I could've just called a Special Skill and left it at that.

Quote:
And of course Etna will need restrictions on other parts of her powers if she recieves two elemental affinities.
I see no reason for that. So far as I can tell, elemental affinities simply grant characters access to different sorts of spells. There's nothing that says a character with an elemental affinity is somehow automatically stronger than a character without one. Look at Subaru; if her transformation is any indication, she has a water affinity that she's never used before, yet she's nowhere near where Fate was in season 1. Same logic applies to Erio, who even has the same affinity Fate had, yet can't even fly without Strada's help.
Old 2008-04-04, 15:31   Link #22942
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
So basically give every Denizen a linker core and have the Chaos Factor manifest as unique talents like Acous's ghost hounds (or whatever they were called) or the Saint's Armor?
Or physical changes, but yes that's the gist of it.

Quote:
The big reason I'm bringing up the Denizens is because I'm seriously considering Etna as a high AAA-ranked character, and the Chaos Factor is a perfect explanation for why Etna has succubus traits, namely her wings and tail. It also serves to explain the dual-element linker core; I could've just called a Special Skill and left it at that.
Yes, but either way dual ellement skills don't pass that easilly. It's already a rarity to be born with one.

Quote:
I see no reason for that. So far as I can tell, elemental affinities simply grant characters access to different sorts of spells. There's nothing that says a character with an elemental affinity is somehow automatically stronger than a character without one. Look at Subaru; if her transformation is any indication, she has a water affinity that she's never used before, yet she's nowhere near where Fate was in season 1. Same logic applies to Erio, who even has the same affinity Fate had, yet can't even fly without Strada's help.

魔力変換資質「電気」 - Mana Conversion Affinity [Electricity]
Among mages, there are rare cases where individuals possess an innate ability, called a [Mana Conversion Affinity], which allows them to naturally convert Mana directly into a physical energy. What normally requires regulation via Magic, these abilities allow conversion to occur spontaneously. It becomes simple to convert one’s own Mana into energy, and when Mana is converted intentionally, this can even occur at high efficiency. An individual can only have one type of affinity. Among Riot 6 members, Fate and Erio have an [electricity]-type affinity, while Signum has a [flame]-type affinity.

So yes, a mana conversion abillity is a very huge advantage. Instead of having to recite a spell and spend valuable time converting the mana, someone with a conversion abillity can do so faster, and with higher efficiency.

Also, Subaru does not have an affinity.
Old 2008-04-04, 15:49   Link #22943
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
A question, are there any issues of alien mages?

Because if that's the case, I've got an idea I want to try out :3
Old 2008-04-04, 15:57   Link #22944
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post

Ynana and Sieraza are technically aliens, the former being a ship operator with a symbiotic link with her half-sentient ship, the latter being the rough equivalent of a D&D3 bard. Well, that's what I was trying to make, w/o making them horribly HAX.
Old 2008-04-04, 16:20   Link #22945
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Even the heaviest sword in real world are not heavier than 5 kilogramms.

*massive math here*

Source

Even one of my D&D3 Barbarian NPCs doesn't swing a 40 lbs two-handed sword. It's like 10 lbs/5 kg at most, and he is by no means short, at the contrary he is like 230 cm tall (another race than human, they are like three-eyed, and their eyecolors are like those of Arrakis' Fremen, I did want to do away from eternal elves/dwarves/orcs trope).

My final word, such heavy swords (blame Cloud for making it trendy) are too often wank materials and it's hard for me to buy a character wielding them with no effort even with a strong deal of suspension of disbelief.
You went the whole nine yards here, I see.

OFF-TOPIC: Since you brought up the Buster Sword, I remember reading something where a guy actually made a half-size replica of the thing. IIRC, the full-size blade made to "correct" dimensions would have been about 150 or so pounds, something crazy like that. Just shows you how a lot of times they Did Not Do The Research...

But in fairness, the half-size replica apparently handled well for its size. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
I tend to listen to all sorts of crap while writing profiles, but it dosen't seem to affect much allot of the following was written while listening to a mix of J-pop, classic rock, modern pop music, orchestral scores, and even some country...
Hey, a little music spurs the thinking mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
First off we have a very partial profile of a new OC but the big focus is the shooting arts of Planine.

Spoiler for Emil:
Quite the long spiel there...

Now about this shooting art - am I correct in interpreting this as guns with magic instead of gunpowder? It's a clever idea, to be sure, although I could have sworn that the ban was on any kind of mass-based weapon...but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It is a neat idea.
Quote:
Next We move onto some background of the Magic Styles of Yuushou the 14th Administered world.
Spoiler for Yuushou magic:
Ah, now this is more my style...

Close-combat with what seems like using quick magic in lieu of a cartridge, do I have that right? Interesting...sounds like a more in-depth magic style thn most we know of. Hm. *takes notes*

On Shin and Kou: Hm, showcases for the new styles? Nicely done. I have nothing to complain about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
New Keroko image! Courtesy of Mercurianangel.

Spoiler for Don't you just want to kiss her?:

That one's going in the profile. :3 Many many thanks Mercurianangel!
Kawaii na!...
Quote:
*imagines Syn and Vivio flying around singing*

You... you.... that was low, bellow the belt, dirty.... and... and...

Oooh, I'm going to get you for this, Eva.
*tosses Eva a portable nuke bunker*

You might wanna use this. :3
Quote:
What? You mean Vivio? She's already canon. :3
This coming from the resident Vivio fan.
Quote:

Linker Core
As the name suggests, an organ in a mage’s (knight’s) body which works to link and manifest Mana generated within themself.
The disposition of a mage thus depends on their Linker Core, and currently any analysis of a mage’s abilities are done by examining the Linker Core.

Official DVD booklet translation, so yes, Linker Cores are organs as far as Nanohaverse goes.
I think I'm right in saying that they're nonphysical organs, ne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
An interesting discussion in WoW made me realize a little problem with Kia's return. I've got a crack idea to fix it; and that means work on Codex Alienhunters has finally begun...

Now if only I can finish all 4 Codex, we'd be able to have the Forces of the Imperium around for once.

But whatever, there's been quite a bit of backlog. Time for...

Deed, Dieci and Wendi:

JETTO STREAM ATTACK!!!

I miss something here?
Quote:
I wonder... If I keep making mistakes how is that possible...

...and there's yet another error. Erio's confession about his past is much later in StrikerS; the conversation with Keira in Episode 1 might retcon that......

AAAAAARRRRRGH!!!

WTB Bigger Mind's Eye to think of StrikerS as a whole. -_-
Heh, you're lucky it's not a 50+ episode epic story.

That said, they have entire production teams working on an entire series start to finish, so I get how daunting it is. Nothing for it but to go.
Quote:
It's only 4 chapters done, and all I got to was fanservice.
And this is bad because...?
Quote:
Joooin usssss....
Get Blizzard to make it free and I'll be there in a heartbeat. Until then...not on your life.
Quote:
Do you guys seriously think I wanted to give Teana a gatling? Is that even in chara?! If I wanted I'd go as far as a Silencer mode that allows her to launch invisible and silent magical rounds that travel very fast.

Yes, THAT is her unKhracked Limiter Break. Dual semiautomatic handguns with silencers.
I know damn well that's a crack picture. I also know you're the king of crack. By that logic...

:3
Quote:
Take it from him, and the guy speaking now, who once faked an X rank for lulz and got far more than he bargained for.
Eh??? When'd you do that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
No, it's not A mage's Decurse won't work so it's not a curse...

*RUNS*
*casts Combustion, then aims massive Pyroblast at Eva's head*

Quote:
Has anything been done with dual-element linker cores? I'm thinking of a fire/wind combo that provides a synergy boost to a spell's effects.
We had a big discussion on that a while ago. IIRC, we decided you could POTENTIALLY do it, but only under really special conditions, or with some kind of add-on or something. I don't think we made it OUTRIGHT impossible, but I do remember that you couldn't naturally have two under normal conditions. You still might wanna get some more clarification.

Quote:
Bah, still more limitations. How the heck am I supposed to make something interesting if all the good stuff is impossible?
Nonono, you're thinking the wrong way around. Look at the limits canon sets and then make a concept work within it. Don't force something that might be at odds with it - look at how you can change an idea to fit the 'verse we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonades.

(Tempted to say kick reason to the curb but that won't make sense in this situation no?)
*kicks reason to the curb*

:3

*runs*

Quote:

Alien as in non-human? I don't know if that's ever been touched on.
Old 2008-04-04, 16:28   Link #22946
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonades.
When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice in a gun and squirt it into life's eyes.
Old 2008-04-04, 16:31   Link #22947
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
You went the whole nine yards here, I see.

OFF-TOPIC: Since you brought up the Buster Sword, I remember reading something where a guy actually made a half-size replica of the thing. IIRC, the full-size blade made to "correct" dimensions would have been about 150 or so pounds, something crazy like that. Just shows you how a lot of times they Did Not Do The Research...

But in fairness, the half-size replica apparently handled well for its size. :3
Back to Big Freaking Swords, even the Berserk's author admitted that Guts' Dragon Slayer was a gimmick to make his story marketable to the average Yamada. But in the manga, it's explained that the thing is a big slab of iron that was hard and troublesome enough to be forged (forging it from carbonated steel would have killed the smith), and Guts did show a lot of momentum when he swings that thing, a far cry from the usual "effortless swing that huge sword like a twig".
Old 2008-04-04, 16:48   Link #22948
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Quite the long spiel there...

Now about this shooting art - am I correct in interpreting this as guns with magic instead of gunpowder? It's a clever idea, to be sure, although I could have sworn that the ban was on any kind of mass-based weapon...but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It is a neat idea.
Someone better go tell Vita those shot puts of hers are illegal and tell Signum to stop shooting people with big metal arrows then… never mind all the stabbing implements. Basiclly IMO the TSAB doesn’t give a shit how you kill someone as long as you use magic to do it. Which just shows how hypocritical and stupid the entire thing is, but there you go. At least to my thinking the TSAB's issue wasn't so much with the guns firing bullets as the fact any smuck could pick one up train for a week or two and then quite possibly kill scores of lower ranked mages. (the sort that make up most the TSAB...) The same thing with bombs and missiles at such on the larger scale anyone could potentially use them to kill mages by the bucket load and they're hard to control.

Then again this kind of thing happens in real life as well and is often times just as irrational for instance the Air Force was stressing how it "wasn't using Napalm" in Iraq... and it wasn't since Napalm is made from gasoline and the jellied petroleum product it WAS dropping was made from kerosene. Now you might say "well that's the same fucking thing" and you'd be right of course, but it still wasn't Napalm, Napalm which you know made Okay and totally different.

Quote:
Ah, now this is more my style...

Close-combat with what seems like using quick magic in lieu of a cartridge, do I have that right? Interesting...sounds like a more in-depth magic style thn most we know of. Hm. *takes notes*
More or less I wanted to do some melee fighters that didn't just rush the enemy then spam cartridges FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE. After all Belkan magic was rare and almost lost for centuries, but you have to figure SOME people were doing melee in that time and they weren't using cartridges to do it. So where are they all? This merely my take on one such style and it dose indeed go for speed and fineness over Belka more brute force approach.

Quote:
On Shin and Kou: Hm, showcases for the new styles? Nicely done. I have nothing to complain about here.
Good, good then.

Old 2008-04-04, 16:49   Link #22949
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
800+ systems = 800+ different ways to use magic, linker cores not required. At least, that's how I interpreted that particular line; this is the multiverse, for god's sake, there's got to be tens of thousands more systems waiting to be documented. CCS's Chinese magic, Nasuverse magic, both of Negima's primary magic systems, Harry Potter magic, Lina Freaking Inverse and Slayers magic, I could go on and on. Yet we limit ourselves to what's in canon for some bizarre reason.
as for me... i'm currently in the process of creating 2 new magical styles/forms (canons)- so i'm making up their so-called "Master Documents"- basically a comprehensive document that explains the hows and whys of the magic form- it's very hard though.

Quote:
Edit:

Oh and before I forget, those 800+ systems are all dependent on the Linker Core. As I said before, it's synonymous to a muscle. You can't move without muscles. It's the same thing. You can't perform magic without this vital magical organ.
800+ systems dependent on 1 organ?

Now there's your problem... now someone with LC disabling/remote control/manipulation capability can basically rule the multiverse then...

I believe otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Wait wait wait you're getting me wrong!!!

I meant look at that Gatling! Isn't that not allowed? But the design is so mesmerizing it's hard to resist...
Kyla: Yes... Yes...

Quote:

Andrei: Aliens you say? are they non-human? If so... are they registered?

@TK: A.W. 14 already has a name (and a representative OC- which is under cold storage ATM (Sorry Ren...)... "Guardia"- a world very different and much more mystical. i suggest you move to another planet...

Old 2008-04-04, 17:02   Link #22950
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice in a gun and squirt it into life's eyes.
Baka. Every good fanfic author knows that when life gives you lemons, you read them and then flame the author for not shipping your favorite characters.

And on a completely unrelated note... I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner:

Coming soon to the OC Boards: Zero, The Original Combat Cyborg!
Old 2008-04-04, 17:04   Link #22951
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Subaru and Ginga are canon type 00 combat cyborgs.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:06   Link #22952
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

So? Doesn't mean they were the only ones in that particular production run...
Old 2008-04-04, 17:08   Link #22953
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
as for me... i'm currently in the process of creating 2 new magical styles/forms (canons)- so i'm making up their so-called "Master Documents"- basically a comprehensive document that explains the hows and whys of the magic form- it's very hard though.
It's really only as hard as you want to be and at some point detail stops being interesting and starts being tedious a basic outlined fleshed out by fiction using it is sufficient in most cases.

Quote:
800+ systems dependent on 1 organ?

Now there's your problem... now someone with LC disabling/remote control/manipulation capability can basically rule the multiverse then...

I believe otherwise...
What you believe dosen't really mean crap what canon says namely Linker Core = Needed for magic on the other hand dose.

Besides the core is basiclly a generator or refinery and the "fuel" it produces is extremely adaptable it's easily possible to envision even thousands of methods of applying it. For instance how many styles of martial arts do we have today? Hundreds at least and these are all based on just moving your body parts in slightly different ways, magic is absurdly more adaptable and dynamic to think it couldn't easily spawn that many styles based on linker cores alone is stupid. I also happen to think that many of these styles are not hugely radical departures and share similar elements, again much like modern marital arts.

When you throw out the Linker Core you basiclly throw out the only thing vaugely binding this entire mess together and open the door to god only knows what sort of nonsense and Haxx. Variations and mutations, yeah okay fine it is technically an organ of sorts so that's somewhat possible, but expect me for one to BRUTALLY oppose any attempt to insert magic without some form of linker core into the fanon.

As for the whole rule the multiverse nonsense you could say the same thing about anyone capable of the disabling/remote control/manipulation of the brain, the heart, the lungs or any other vital organ in your body could do the same thing.

Quote:
@TK: A.W. 14 already has a name (and a representative OC- which is under cold storage ATM (Sorry Ren...)... "Guardia"- a world very different and much more mystical. i suggest you move to another planet...

Meh 15 it is then, we should probably start making some kind of list of these worlds I myself just pick numbers at random as I suspect many do.

Last edited by Tk3997; 2008-04-04 at 18:22.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:08   Link #22954
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
So? Doesn't mean they were the only ones in that particular production run...
They were prototypes. Therefor not a 'production run'.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:10   Link #22955
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

In before "He is a test type cyborg! Nya".

EDIT: I have read bad Guilty Gear fanfictions where the OC's rapelevel that is well beyond Sol's was explained by bullshit like "He was a test subject before even Sol turned into a gear! Lalalalalalala!"
Old 2008-04-04, 17:12   Link #22956
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Fine, fine, different creator then. Guess that means I'm porting Wily as well.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:42   Link #22957
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Question for the veterans:

Wikipedia's StrikerS entry mentions that Scaglietti was somehow "created" by the TSAB ruling council in order to bring about the combat cyborg project. Given what is known of the bureau and the ruling council, is it reasonable to think that the council may have created more than one mad scientist--namely, Albert W. Wily--to keep from putting all their eggs in one basketcase, as it were?
Old 2008-04-04, 17:48   Link #22958
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

I wouldn't call Wikipedia sources the best place for anime facts... half the time it's screwed up info.

I can think of exactly what subtitle text the Wiki's info is based off of.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:51   Link #22959
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Well I don't know Japanese so I can't translate the DVD booklets or the NanohaWiki; Wikipedia's the best source I've got at the moment.
Old 2008-04-04, 19:09   Link #22960
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Okay... new unit commander template... going back to the shock enforcer unit... SOMEONE has to make it, and I have just the asshole for the job.

Spoiler for The Admiral that Negotiates with his fists:

It's a rough idea of what I'm gonna' turn him into. And it'll develope better when the story reaches that point.

Last edited by AdmiralTigerclaw; 2008-04-04 at 19:49.
Closed Thread