AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-11-13, 07:03   Link #7561
Eratas123

@ Demino - He plans to use those as weapons for his OC's against the IS. If they're weaker than real life launchers then why not just use the real one's that do more damage?
Old 2011-11-13, 07:08   Link #7562
HasuMasu
*Artist

Rule of Cool ofcourse.
Old 2011-11-13, 07:11   Link #7563
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

I held a real rocket launcher few times before... Man, they're no joke when it comes to carrying.

Then again, despite being handheld and relatively lighter and easy to use, the rockets might still be able to do more damage.

Hell, Iron Man fired a pin-sized rocket which obliterates a tank. (5 secs into the following video)

Old 2011-11-13, 07:15   Link #7564
Eratas123

@ Stratos and Box - IS' tend to be as fast as jets so using rockets are pretty hard. The only choice you have is to use either bullets since they travel fast or go up close to it and try to smash through the shield. Missiles would have to be EXTREMELY fast in order to catch up.
Old 2011-11-13, 07:21   Link #7565
HasuMasu
*Artist

Kanzashi's missiles were enough to overwhelm Golem III, granted there were like a million of them.
Old 2011-11-13, 07:27   Link #7566
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Kanzashi's missiles were enough to overwhelm Golem III, granted there were like a million of them.
Considering the fact that the IS' missiles tend to travel at the speed of sound and can home in even if you're constantly moving, I think we can excuse it. That's why I dropped the sniper rifle usage for Irish's character and made him put more skills to knife combat.

Besides, IS weapons run on SCIENCE! while our OC's weapons run more on realism. Hell, look at Meister's stories: All the girls are badass abnormal's with the IS and the powers while the guys tend to fight using realistic means and strategy. Maximillian and Irish in the previous Vandam fic are examples of this; no spectacular weapons and machinery yet they can still keep up. The army tends to be fodder though

Point being: We can't compare weaponry to IS weaponry. It's like comparing a spear to a gun. All that matters is the skill of the user, not the weapon itself.
Old 2011-11-13, 07:32   Link #7567
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I always compared IS weapons to gundam weapons.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 07:34   Link #7568
Eratas123

@ Demino - That makes sense. IS' are basically Gundam's without the chassis, they even have the same appearances to boot. Gundams have been shown to be taken down by conventional weaponry, just look at Cagalli's group in Gundam seed using armaments to take down the sand dogs.
Old 2011-11-13, 07:45   Link #7569
demino_hellsin
That one guy

It's still not advisable to just use conventional weapons against IS though. Conventional weapons are normally placed on gundams/mobile suits/or any other supercraft generally for the purpose of conservation I guess. I mean if you were to shoot infantry, what would you use? the particle gun or the assault cannons. IS are illogical when you think in a militaristic manner, but what the hey? This is harem >.>
Old 2011-11-13, 07:52   Link #7570
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
It's still not advisable to just use conventional weapons against IS though. Conventional weapons are normally placed on gundams/mobile suits/or any other supercraft generally for the purpose of conservation I guess. I mean if you were to shoot infantry, what would you use? the particle gun or the assault cannons. IS are illogical when you think in a militaristic manner, but what the hey? This is harem >.>
The IS are supposed to be "Sports machines" yet they carry enough weaponry to decimate a city.

Why don't they equip the IS with fireworks launchers or batons instead of a katana and a gatling gun, of all things? For a machine that's supposedly forbidden for military use, they seem to put more weapons in it than the actual military. How the hell is a laser guided missile system kid and sports friendly?
Old 2011-11-13, 07:59   Link #7571
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

ZeroXSEED HERE TO THE RESCUE.

You guys talking about Missile/Rocket launcher? Why not? Not all I.S. can go Hypersonic (note that Silver Gospel and Akatsubaki being anomaly), and in low altitude their speed is restricted to low supersonic number, heck, maybe subsonic for some I.S. (Mach 0.7)

Meanwhile, the less fast missile is exactly Mach 1.2....at very low altitude that is...

The question is, how strong are their warhead? It was said that anti-aircraft missile (with continuous rod or Shrapnel warhead) is useless, but how about anti-TANK missile?

If you compare the power output of I.S. weapon, at best their power output is close to large artillery piece (155mm), such as Laura's Heavy railgun (that has recoil so powerful she need four piece of shield as bracer).

Of course, this information is purely visual, and it's either Anime downplayed it or the characters in the Light Novels just exaggerated it is unknown, it's the matter of which version you wanted to use. (the Manga is PLAIN USELESS as gauging measure)

And while I.S. barrier is strong, it was stated in canon that I.S. greatest assets is Mobility.
Old 2011-11-13, 08:03   Link #7572
demino_hellsin
That one guy

My view on the IS is that this whole sporting event is a ruse. Although the author doesn't explicitly state it, the setting makes me think that the whole world is in a state of cold war. It's an arms race to see who has the best IS. When it comes to treaties, they are ignorable as long as you have the necessary military force.

In real life this may not apply but this is anime, it can and probably will happen.

The prototypes as stated, are at IS academy to obtain combat data and send it back to the country to improve their upgraded sister units, as Zero pointed out to me some time ago. However the second thing is that the countries are also trying to produce the one off ability. The one-off ability that only manifests when an IS reaches 2nd shift is the true reason for all this. 4th gen IS btw are special not only due to fold out armor but because they are IS that have one-off abilities despite not being in second shift, AKA Akatsubaki. (from what I gathered.)

So to sum it all up, the writer is confusing whether he's writing a conspiracy/war story or school rocom. As entertaining as it is, it's really confusing since both sides can be dug so deep but seem to be done half-way each. It almost feels like he's setting up for something big to happen.
Old 2011-11-13, 08:04   Link #7573
Eratas123

@ Zero - Hence why I put stealth as a focus for the badass normal. I like badass normals, but if they can stand toe to toe with an IS, then I'm calling bullshit. The mobility is useless when they can't see the enemy.

@ Demino - This is the TVtropes theory as well. The fact that the IS made most of the male gender second class citizens makes it seem way more than a regular "Sports machine". Nobody bothers to think "If they can't use this for war, then why are we so scared?" Maybe it's because it can be used for war, and everybody knows it.

Side note - I made a message to you about Utsuho and Dan, it's on the previous page.

Side note 2 - We're going to far on speculation. This is the fanfiction thread, not the novel thread. We should get back on topic.
Old 2011-11-13, 08:10   Link #7574
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
made a message to you about Utsuho and Dan, it's on the previous page.
Yeah I knew, that's why I confused when you said Utsuho doesn't like Dan

@Demino
What I believe is that either Yuzuru wanted to write a serious story but the publisher forced it to stay at status quo as generic harem hence the inconsistent characterization, or inversely, he was pressed some serious plot which result in half-assed foreshadowing.

But wait! There's also his illness, and you know when you forcing yourself to write while sick, you're finished. This is the reason I currently held firmly.
Old 2011-11-13, 08:10   Link #7575
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Why not use a taser against an IS?
Old 2011-11-13, 08:12   Link #7576
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Why not use a taser against an IS?
Electric weapons are banned under Alaska Treaty.

I'll effective as emergency anti-i.S. weapon though, since the attack is so weak that both normal barrier and Absolute Defense won't be activated. This is the reason it was forbidden from competition.

"A Weapon that can harm enemy's pilot without taking the I.S. out"

Among them are fire and chemical (acid, poison, pathogen etc) weapon.
Old 2011-11-13, 08:13   Link #7577
Eratas123

@ Zero - That makes Daydreams easier Now I can add the age gap issue with Ushio feeling old

@ Demino - How would that work? You have to go through the shields first.
Old 2011-11-13, 08:18   Link #7578
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I can only assume that the shields are particulate in nature, much like primal armor in AC NEXTs. Such particles can be only form shields by regulating their atomic charges and clustering them together, the taser can screw up the magnetic charges big time. Even if they are energy shields I'm pretty sure the taser can still disrupt the energy flow much more effectively than physical rounds. The only issue to using a taser, has and will always be range. Stealth can possibly erase the worries of getting into tasing range. If I'm wrong in the gist of science I remember feel free to correct me.
Old 2011-11-13, 08:20   Link #7579
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
I can only assume that the shields are particulate in nature, much like primal armor in AC NEXTs. Such particles can be only form shields by regulating their atomic charges and clustering them together, the taser can screw up the magnetic charges big time. Even if they are energy shields I'm pretty sure the taser can still disrupt the energy flow much more effectively than physical rounds. The only issue to using a taser, has and will always be range. Stealth can possibly erase the worries of getting into tasing range. If I'm wrong in the gist of science I remember feel free to correct me.
Not Taser, 'Plasma' are what you talking about, it was said exactly like that in Canon that "When it comes to reducing shield point, plasma is the best" (forgot the wordings sorry). Plasma weapon likely have high PA attenuation if you use AC metaphor.

(In mine Ichika has a plasma torch as one of six form of Setsura)

As I said, Electric weapon are banned.
Old 2011-11-13, 08:23   Link #7580
Eratas123

@ Demino - You'd need a REALLY big taser if that was the case. It'd have to be the size of a rocket launcher in order for you to even dent the shield.

@ Zero - Plasma really is iffy at this point. At no point in the series do the characters ever use it even if they fight actual enemies. Besides, isn't Ichika's sword made of electricity?

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest