AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nisemonogatari - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 70 41.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 27.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 17.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 8.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.60%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-10, 03:04   Link #161
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

I can see why people don't feel that this first episode has the same impact of Bakemonogatari, but that led me to think about something. Obviously it's not really the first episode, since it's based on the beginning of the second novel, so that initial impact and mystery isn't there. So since we can't repeat that feeling, we move on to something else. Instead, we got a healthy dose of melancholy and dramatic tension.

The whole point to me was how to address the sequel: We've dipped our toes in the Monogatari world, and we had a lot of fun, but now we have to swim in it. We have to explore the deeper implications that we scratched the surface of last time.

Hitagi's scene was fun and nostalgic, but it reminds us that this girl, while being awesome, is also rather crazy. That scene was frankly bizarre.

Then we move on to Tsukihi, who we never really got to know that well the first time around. Underneath her adorable exterior she's got quite a bite. She was at first dismissive (typical younger sister -I know, I have one), then she became hostile and angry, then finally, she left the most emotional impact by telling Koyomi she feels like he's drifting away. The scene was entertaining and very well done, but it leaves us hanging a bit.

The Mayoi scene opens with Koyomi thinking to himself that he doesn't even like this girl. It seemed like he was overly trying to distance himself from her -that is until he ran after her and lovingly(?) groped her again. Their following conversation was just like old times. Finally, the episode ends with Mayoi hinting at leave-taking -a theme Tsukihi brushed upon earlier (and that contrasts wildly with Hitagi's apparent imprisonment of Koyomi)- and Koyomi holding on to the thought that he'd be there for her whenever she needed.

So at the same time we open the next book and jump into the water, we're immediately reminded that it's cold when you first get in, and that eventually we'll have to get out. There was a lot of familiarity, but a sense of inevitable change and loss as well. All in all, a great way to both get us back into it while also reminding us there's a long way to go.
Airman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 03:06   Link #162
.:Jason:.
~The Radiant Protector~

Send a message via AIM to .:Jason:. Send a message via MSN to .:Jason:.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Hitagi is definitely not a yandere, all in all except from an excusable high-heel swing and a stapling has not shown any other violent behaviour :uhoh.
She kidnapped him and told him she was the only person allowed to kill him, how can she not be considered Yandere after that? Quite frankly, I disagree with the idea that their relationship is at all healthy. Yes they may genuinly ove each other but when one goes as far as kidnapping the other for their "protection" one has gone too far.

Set by TheEroKing.
.:Jason:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 06:43   Link #163
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida
Hachikuji! nuff' said!

The first part was pretty fun with the references and usual Senjougahara attitude but, it was the second part with Hachikuji that I liked the most. Watched the episode in the middle of the night so I had to restrain myself for bursting into laughter with the whole exchange.

Emotional moments and family discussion were also great and hinted the future events. Perfect episode for me.
Old 2012-01-10, 06:53   Link #164
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@Jason: words =/= actions

When I think of yandere, Yuno@Mirai Nikki comes to my mind (having butchered most named and scores of unnamed characters), Rena/Sion@Higurashi (with a smaller but decent number of kills), even Kaede@Shuffle (at least attempting murder twice).

Hitagi in Bake- stapled his chin once, and thereafter only threatened him, and verbally abused him... unless I am forgetting something, it's been sometime since I last watched the whole thing
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 07:10   Link #165
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
She kidnapped him and told him she was the only person allowed to kill him, how can she not be considered Yandere after that? Quite frankly, I disagree with the idea that their relationship is at all healthy. Yes they may genuinly ove each other but when one goes as far as kidnapping the other for their "protection" one has gone too far.
As someone pointed out, he has a history of nearly getting himself killed every time someone has a problem with the spirit world. I read the scene almost as a fan parody come to life. I.E. "if she really cares about him, why doesn't she just chain him to the damn wall the next time a girl had a problem to keep him from solving it by getting his organs rearranged?"

I haven't read the novels, so I may be completely misunderstanding the kidnapping, but based on their respective personalities, that was my guess. On the off chance I've got that right, it all matches Hitagi's style. All of her abuse, teasing and toying, casual talk of holding him even if he's covered in filth, and assertions that he should "just die" could be explained as her way of saying "I'm scared that if I leave you to your own devices, you're going to get yourself killed."

Or maybe she just really wants to abuse him for giggles. Whatever.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 07:42   Link #166
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Senjougahara's behaviour is actually more like acting. She is pretending to be Yandere in here, just like how she acted like Tsundere in 14th episode of Bakemonogatari.

Verbally abusing part, however, is Senjougahara's trade mark.
Old 2012-01-10, 09:07   Link #167
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
She kidnapped him and told him she was the only person allowed to kill him, how can she not be considered Yandere after that?
Because she almost never says what she actually means. Mainly because she has trouble doing so. (I'm reminded of her specifically in episode 12 of Bake, where she had trouble expressing that she wanted a date. And then a kiss)

"I am the only person allowed to kill you." references the obvious: the Suruga Monkey arc and particularly its solution. During which she basically said outright that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
"I'm scared that if I leave you to your own devices, you're going to get yourself killed."
She hasn't actually been dangerous to him since Hitagi Crab part 1, even if their repartee may make it look otherwise (particularly in Crab part 2, where I think she was truly grateful that he wanted to help, but not quite trusting that he was genuine). She clearly warmed to him after her own arc, and has started to break down the walls between them since.

I think the whole point of the first scene in Nisemonogatari is to make us think she's backsliding (and make Araragi afraid she's backsliding a bit), and he then looks back over the events of the day to determine what she could be after.

And why she's likely not backsliding after all. She's not fully healed (she never was; Mayoi Snail and her lack of self-confidence in ep 12 remain damning evidence), but she's not who we met in the first episode of Bakemonogatari either.

As Koyomi's narration mentioned, she's probably enjoying this as play. But after seeing how she reacted to an actual threat on Koyomi's life in Suruga Monkey... I don't buy her doing this for a reason that (at the very least) she doesn't see as in Koyomi's best interest.
Old 2012-01-10, 10:07   Link #168
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

confusing conversation....
yandere-Hitagi
moe-Nadeko
and cute-Hachikuji...

great episode so far
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 10:16   Link #169
Malkuth
Banned

Koyomi is really lucky since only he can perceive the jail-trap Mayoi
Old 2012-01-10, 10:35   Link #170
raruku

Karen bee your ass, she only appears like no more than 3 seconds.

well it's not new for me thought, Tsubasa cat or something.

still 10/10 thought.
raruku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 10:40   Link #171
Malkuth
Banned

^ Ah! don't remind me that accursed arc for my favourite character that got invaded midway by the psycho bitch
Old 2012-01-10, 16:49   Link #172
Yagami Kyo

Well, pretty good for a first episode, considering I watched Bakemonogatari a while ago and don't really remember the name of all the characters. Senjougahara, mi favourite, but I miss Shinobu and, mostly, Oshino. And more Hanekawa, please!

Now, now I want to know how this will develop, because we didn't see anything from Karen, while this arc is supposed to be hers...
Yagami Kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 17:04   Link #173
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Or just about far enough. It's not like she doesn't have her reasons. It seems even Koyomi accepts that her fears aren't entirely unfounded.

Remember his plan for dealing with Kanbaru? Actually die so she could be satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Senjougahara's behaviour is actually more like acting. She is pretending to be Yandere in here, just like how she acted like Tsundere in 14th episode of Bakemonogatari.
I really don't think she's bluffing, though. Sure, she's not anywhere close to actually killing someone. But if he really goes and gets himself killed, then all bets are off.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 17:39   Link #174
Candyshark

Well I think Senjougahara is right being "concerned" about him. So far he only dealt with extraordinary things. He isn't very skilled with dealing normal people. He may not copewith situation were elusiveness and wit is required.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 17:41   Link #175
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well Araragi has proven on many occasions that he may just be the type that might need to be chained up for his own good if you want to keep him safe...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 19:40   Link #176
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Araragi not knowing Japanese was surprisingly though. Or did super-dense-protagonist-syndrome just temporarily shut his brain down...
Are you talking about the bit where Tsukihi mention's Nadeko's crush on her brother?

They did a pretty good job with the pun...but I think it's still a bit awkward in English, largely because it really makes Araragi seem dumber than he is (although him interpreting it as [友達の「来い」] i.e. "my friend's 'get your ass over here'" instead of [友達の恋] 'a friend's feeling of love' is still pretty mind-blowing...)...

Perhaps having Tsukihi say "my friend's expression of love for you", and replacing Araragi's 'She's more polite than...' with 'She's more proper than...' might work...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 19:42   Link #177
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well Araragi has proven on many occasions that he may just be the type that might need to be chained up for his own good if you want to keep him safe...
You know that can be said about Hitagi too
Old 2012-01-11, 02:34   Link #178
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Hachikuji!! Hachikuji!! I love her so much

Really hilarious but awfully adorable kid. Still think her arc was the best in Bakemonogatari. Real pity (or was it blessing?) that she will never grow up

PS: based on the build up, it seems something Karen-related is out to eat all abnormalities, with Hachikuji gonna be the 1st casualty, and Araragi has to be locked up by Senjougahara to protect him. It's half joking btw.

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2012-01-11 at 07:24.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 18:22   Link #179
Elestia

Hachikuji had some wise words for Araragi despite being the loli character of the show. Her wordplay on adding the word courage was probably the best bit of the first episode. "The courage to admit defeat" was a great finish for the dialogue. I really did miss the dialogue the monogatari series brought with it.
Old 2012-01-12, 06:07   Link #180
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Mm, I was kinda anxious since the episode opened up with Hitagi and Araragi and their S+M games, brief appearances by Ms tits and Ms Jailbait, but the sister bit wasn't bad.

The episode was largely carried by Mayoi who to me is one of the most sensible and likable people in the series and a very good sport, considering Koyomi keeps trying to molest her. But she definitely gained more points this episode. Scene at the very end was the best when he said he'd beat anyone to saving her. Oh you martyr you.

Visuals seem superior to last season as well and a decent start, so 7/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote