Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-24, 16:27   Link #41
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

After watching the special "episode", it is filled with some mixed feelings.
However, the current result is far from being "horrible" as I (and probably others) might expect.

The very first thing to note is actually how they were very diligent and faithful with the background and site. In fact, the environments don't seem fake at all (well, normal as they literally invaded the IRL location ). The only weird feel might be the classroom, but that's all.

Second point is the fact they changed the script to actually make it sense to the movie format. The movie will most likely being with Keiichi's transfer, and they added various scenes for the "month" when Keiichi is making acquaintances with the club members.
Another change in the script is in fact that we actually see Takano and Tomitake visiting the warehouse, while Keiichi is exposed by her with a flashlight.

Now for the actors...
Keiichi: I didn't noticed many things with his acting... but my major problem is in fact how they seem to change keiichi's personality.
Basically, the young guy looks like a "cool lazy bum"... he doesn't feel any passion or genki-ness (I'm not speaking of Minagoroshi Keiichi, but really the onikakushi one). His pose and nonchalant behaviour looks like he is a rebel, delinquent or something. He actually shows enjoyement with the girls, but his usual stances and expressions are too... "arrogant" "highly" and stuff. Not exactly a playful, enthusiatic, energetic keiichi we know (he even looks DAMN BORED during the class introduction)

Rena: ugh... she didn't seem cute at all (behaviour, obviously the physical cuteness from anime is quite impossible anyway). Rena lost her candid and sweet aura. She is still "clumsy" somehow, but she doesn't exactly feel lively and all (it doesn't seem the junkyard was her treasure field so...).
Rena's past scene looks fair enough.

Mion: she lost her prank and superiority aura. She still has some tomboyish traits, but she is certainly not look like an infernal club leader as we usually know.

Rika: she barely had 1-2 lines in this special episode, and she was warning Keiichi as he was about to approach the warehouse, while everyone else is with him (a trip during bright day so). As you might expect, no "frederica" feels or such, as she was just acting... well serious and spooky.
While she looks/behaves discretely, she doesn't seem to be the "soothing" girl.
Her ceremony performance is quite nice, though the hoe wielding was a bit meh. And yeah, the fact she is short hair is still a shock for me XD

Satoko: That girl has a very good acting... but ironically, her acting would actually fit Mion better... It is kinda a mix of Mion and Satoko, it is hard to explain. "Satoko" was quite open, genki and cheerful, but she doesn't seem "arrogant" and such. Maybe the lack of these trap scenes might have an impact.
A good point for her, though her pigtails make her look "naive/innocent", not exactly that huh.

Takano: Another "good" call. Takano has a eerie and creepy aura. However, she doesn't seem playful nor nonchalant/outreaging with her riddles/charades and such.
But she was certainly getting proper expressions when Takano actually visits the warehouse.

Tomitake: not many things heard and all but... he is downright disappointing. Tomitake is way "too close" with the children, even feeling childish as he is literally putting his arm on Keiichi's shoulder. He doesn't seem right as Tomitake is quite calm and not so close. His looks doesn't reflect the supposed "stronglu build" status he is supposed to have

Ooishi: quite the biggest shock in the physical choice. Ooishi actor looked like Inspector Runge (Monster) instead of our usual nonchalant, "bear" like policeman...
Actually, the actor is quite good, nice tone, flow and expressions (they feel right, they don't seem to be overdrama etc).
I believe they simply... changed Ooishi's personality. Here, Ooishi is not nonchalant, nor "old sly policeman" and such. He is downright serious and even scary/dread (not in a threatening way).

It isn't horrible, but it is certainly not easy to compare the original characters with the actors. It is obvious they cannot behave like in the anime, but they certainly changed lot of things that might be not as "shocking" as Higurashi is supposed to be with Onikakushi-hen.
Old 2007-12-24, 17:24   Link #42
Rias

I don't think it's as horrible as the comments on nicovideo is, but I'm not looking forward to the movie.

General:
They changed quite a few settings, noticeablly the way the character talks. Rena's double sentence ending or Satoko's bad Keigo. School uniform, ceremonial dance, Ciel-sensei are some other noticable changes.

Characters:
Keiichi's acting is quite bad. You can tell he's "acting out the character" instead of "being the character". Cosidering that they changed the story to having him start from transfering in, it's alright that he "acts" as bored in the initial classroom scenes. However, he stays that way for the other shots, espically the battle during the festival, which is not good.

Rena...doesn't look lively at all.

Mion...what happened to her pride?

Rika actually has pretty good acting skills. She's in her observent mode, and her facial expressions are good for that. Ceremony performance is kinda meh tho.

Satoko...she's alright, but the arragoance is gone.

Takano is alright, does have that errie feel to her. But she's kinda old looking, I thought she was Akane at first.

Tomitake...another person that suffers from bad acting skills. He's too much of a big kid, espically when he hangs out with the club members. I actually like the TMA version of tomi better

Ooishi...not bad, but of course it's different from the original.

I guess the thing is, is it really the best to stick absolutely close to the original? There are always good things and bad things when something becomes live action, I think if they just recast (probably too late now ) Keiichi-Rena-Mion then it would be an alright movie.
Old 2007-12-24, 20:42   Link #43
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

Huh...the actress for Satoko is from AKB48? And I thought they were just good for prancing around, singing songs about short skirts, and basically appealing to sweaty lonely otaku men. :/ She actually seems to put the most life into her character though, dang it! xD

Why they did go the cool delinquent approach for K1? That's just so out of line. :/

"Choose your own legacy, it's for you to decide." - Solid Snake
Old 2007-12-25, 14:06   Link #44
champbaka
Oyashiro-sama worshipper

Okayyyyyy....by looking at it so far the only thing I truly can't accept is the character's personality change here. The physical appearances of the characters don't brother me, hey Transformers looked like alien scrapmetal, but the original personality of the characters were intact thus making it a epic win. Keiichi having the delinquent looks and Mion not having her prankseress!? That is sooo wrong XXX. Hope at least they won't screw with the storyline and all.

PS: Don't think about Tomi-kun too much, since he will be the first to go anyhow as always.
Old 2007-12-25, 19:46   Link #45
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
I wished they kept the unique costumes. I mean they kept Rika's why not Mion's?

Oh and look, Keiichi's dad is portrayed more accurately now.
Old 2007-12-25, 21:31   Link #46
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Send a message via AIM to Benny1 Send a message via MSN to Benny1
Can't really comment on much having not seen this, but...

In the Onikakushi-hen manga, I think Tomitake really does feel like a big brother to the kids. Honestly, that's the only time I've been slightly depressed when Tomitake died.
Old 2007-12-25, 23:10   Link #47
Rias

Rumor has it that the animated version of Batsukoishi-hen would be included with the movie...

Then again, since they never talked about Soul Brothers in the anime, can they even show Batsukoishi-hen?
Old 2007-12-25, 23:13   Link #48
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Rumor has it that the animated version of Batsukoishi-hen would be included with the movie...

Then again, since they never talked about Soul Brothers in the anime, can they even show Batsukoishi-hen?
I think it'd be a treat for Higurashi fans who did decide to watch the movies. xD It'd be the reason why fans would watch it then. The movie is secondary.

Old 2007-12-25, 23:16   Link #49
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post

If that's true I'll be looking foward to it
Old 2007-12-26, 09:48   Link #50
Farplaner

I thought Ooishi looked like Teppei in the anime
Old 2007-12-26, 13:35   Link #51
Fychan

Send a message via MSN to Fychan
As a non-japanese speaker, I can't say much, but...
I think Keiichi's actor looks more with K when he isn't acting. His expressions and such...

Since I'm a big fan of Oiishi, I'm a bit disapointed, but since I'm a huuge fan of Keiichi's dad, I'm happy XD
And Mion is too cute for my taste...

Ah, and for the costumes... I think they tried to make some pattern with them. I mean, they're all white and blue. Maybe they're not willing to explain why everybody wears diferent costumes?
Old 2007-12-26, 14:18   Link #52
xen000

Hinamizawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The very first thing to note is actually how they were very diligent and faithful with the background and site. In fact, the environments don't seem fake at all (well, normal as they literally invaded the IRL location ). The only weird feel might be the classroom, but that's all
Did any one kwonw if the Hinamizawa town ( the real one ) is being used as a primary Scenario ?

Last edited by xen000; 2007-12-26 at 14:25. Reason: add
Old 2007-12-26, 17:18   Link #53
Rias

Quote:
Did any one kwonw if the Hinamizawa town ( the real one ) is being used as a primary Scenario ?
They filmed it in Nagano instead of Shiragawa-ko
Old 2007-12-26, 22:36   Link #54
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

I guess it would be kind of difficult to get permission to film at a World Heritage Site huh? :/

Old 2007-12-27, 07:24   Link #55
Solafighter
Hige

A higurashi movie with real people.. artists and stuff.. Seriously, i never expected this... lol..
Old 2007-12-27, 11:20   Link #56
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

I guess it would be pure suspense thriller/movie with all moéness thrown away, which is good for live action adaptation.
I'm glad they didn't try to make the actor looks like in the game/anime, so Erepyon didn't have to cut her hair trying to look like Satoko.
I don't mind the movie deviate a lot for the sake of better adaptation and to bring Higurashi series to wider public attention

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
Old 2007-12-27, 11:33   Link #57
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTMC2xOvRM

i haven't seen the special yet so I was happy to have found this on youtube :]

is that opening by Eiko Shimamiya? sounds like it. i don't know a lot about it.
Old 2007-12-27, 12:16   Link #58
champbaka
Oyashiro-sama worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTMC2xOvRM

i haven't seen the special yet so I was happy to have found this on youtube :]

is that opening by Eiko Shimamiya? sounds like it. i don't know a lot about it.
According wikipedia they said it is Eiko Shimamiya and the song is 'Unmei no Rin' or 'Wheel of fortune'.

Here's a longer version with the oyaki scene at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEEGeIgGP6w
Old 2007-12-27, 15:50   Link #59
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

after watching 'keiichi' act i feel that will smith would be a better keiichi

man.. even the korean actor who did 'the host' is like better
Old 2007-12-27, 20:02   Link #60
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by champbaka View Post
According wikipedia they said it is Eiko Shimamiya and the song is 'Unmei no Rin' or 'Wheel of fortune'.

Here's a longer version with the oyaki scene at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEEGeIgGP6w
that trailer isn't doing it for me

Tags
live action