AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-12-26, 04:13   Link #3061
Iron21

Loved the big Christmas release.

I'm loving these hax powers, Naze making her own out of the blue with Ice-Fire was awesome.

And Kumagawa mocking weekly SJ again about it. I also loved Medaka head palming of Kumagawa and using it to break the glass.

Also, after Kumagawa statement again. I'm starting to wonder if Ajimu was indeed Zen's GF in middle school. He now wants them both to explode so he can clarify his musings.

I'm also glad that they brought up the Hitomi thing also. When Zen "died," she didn't show any emotions at all about it.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 09:17   Link #3062
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron21 View Post
Loved the big Christmas release.
Yea, it was nice catching up on so much of the backlog. The fanbase will have a harder time growing with sporadic releases, though.

There's so much to comment on after six chapters. D=

I'll just express my curiosity about Naze. Ignoring her ability to create haxx powers seemingly at will, is she going to keep the ones she gave herself? It would be odd if she didn't, but it will be weird if she does.
Old 2010-12-26, 10:00   Link #3063
Last Carpet

Since the start of the Minus 13 arc, Medaka's gone on and on about how she hates Misogi and he's beyond salvation and now she says

"I'll reform you and make you happy for sure"

Let's recap.....

Medaka's Abnormality "The End", let's her take on, improve on and master other powers simply by looking and experiencing. She tried and failed to help Misogi before. Before she knew the full extent of her Abnormailty, and before Misogi even had his Minus "All-Fiction.

Medaka knows that she can't stop herself from learning an ability when she sees it. And since a "Minus" is hazardous to the persons Physical and Mental health, "The End" would only make it worse for Medaka than the original owner had it. Misogi was already too twisted to be changed by Medaka's influence, and now he has a dangerous power that she won't be able to deal with. Misogi himself can barely handle "All-Fiction"

She couldn't help him before, and with these new circumstances it seems even less likely that she'll do it now. If Nishio comes from behind to make Medaka fight Misogi and win, then I'm dropping this manga altogether.

It still seems to me that Zenkichi is the real key to taking down -13. Whether it's just him, how he manages to draw people to him, Specials, Abnormals, even Minuses who, by definition have given up on having close relationships and don't want friends . Or maybe it's got something to do with Ajimu, his past with her, maybe she's the secret to unveiling the real power that lies dormant in him.

Only time will tell.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 10:32   Link #3064
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

I love Kumagawa's jabs at WSJ and manga in general.

I'm glad her actual abnormality was confirmed. I don't think they actually outright stated it. But there were a number of gems during that battle they had. Naze being able to create a Minus means sooner or later she should be able to remove one similar to an abnormality. At least temporarily.

As for her "Ice-Fire" its nice to see the extent of what she could do on the spot. Her range wasn't bad and since she does it by manipulating her own body temperature she isn't limited to using it in certain places.

Now the part where Kumagawa was trying to break Medaka's will and ambition was really enjoyable. Koga of all people being the one to stop her was a bit surprising considering she wanted to rip her apart for what she said before Miyakonojou stole her abnormality.

Also I called how she was using her Minus to control the plants right! I'm on a roll here with these Minuses so far.

Hopefully Kumagawa gets the draw he wants. I want to see this meeting between these 3 and how Kumagawa reacts to Ajimu. Also I'm curious about what Hitomi will ask Kumagawa and why is she so calm throughout the majority of these battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post

I'll just express my curiosity about Naze. Ignoring her ability to create haxx powers seemingly at will, is she going to keep the ones she gave herself? It would be odd if she didn't, but it will be weird if she does.
I don't see why she wouldn't keep them. They are still facing Minus 13 and she hasn't remodeled her body in 6 years prior to this. She would have to revert herself back and since we don't know if she may have to deal with "Scar Dead" again later so it would be foolish not to keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Carpet View Post
Since the start of the Minus 13 arc, Medaka's gone on and on about how she hates Misogi and he's beyond salvation and now she says

"I'll reform you and make you happy for sure"

Let's recap.....

Medaka's Abnormality "The End", let's her take on, improve on and master other powers simply by looking and experiencing. She tried and failed to help Misogi before. Before she knew the full extent of her Abnormailty, and before Misogi even had his Minus "All-Fiction.

Medaka knows that she can't stop herself from learning an ability when she sees it. And since a "Minus" is hazardous to the persons Physical and Mental health, "The End" would only make it worse for Medaka than the original owner had it. Misogi was already too twisted to be changed by Medaka's influence, and now he has a dangerous power that she won't be able to deal with. Misogi himself can barely handle "All-Fiction"

She couldn't help him before, and with these new circumstances it seems even less likely that she'll do it now. If Nishio comes from behind to make Medaka fight Misogi and win, then I'm dropping this manga altogether.

Calling it now, its going to happen. Thats what main characters in shounen do and thats Medaka's goal. They all acknowledge that she does the impossible. She needs to surpass her limits and actually learn how to control her abnormality like anyone else should. She finally learned the true nature of it, now she needs to master her own power and not just master everyone else's. Much like she did Perses mode which turned into Mars mode after she got a handle on it.
Old 2010-12-26, 11:14   Link #3065
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
It still seems to me that Zenkichi is the real key to taking down -13. Whether it's just him, how he manages to draw people to him, Specials, Abnormals, even Minuses who, by definition have given up on having close relationships and don't want friends . Or maybe it's got something to do with Ajimu, his past with her, maybe she's the secret to unveiling the real power that lies dormant in him.

Only time will tell.
I think the same thing. Zenkichi seems to have a big role on this arc and I'm praticaly sure he will be the one who will solve everything. Or at least, without him, Medaka will not be able to win.

And yeah a great gift, these realeases. Can't wait for the next one and for the next raw
Old 2010-12-26, 11:31   Link #3066
Last Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post

Calling it now, its going to happen. Thats what main characters in shounen do and thats Medaka's goal. They all acknowledge that she does the impossible. She needs to surpass her limits and actually learn how to control her abnormality like anyone else should. She finally learned the true nature of it, now she needs to master her own power and not just master everyone else's. Much like she did Perses mode which turned into Mars mode after she got a handle on it.
Personally, I hope it doesn't happen. Aside from seeing the new characters and new powers, the main reason that I haven't already dropped Medaka Box is because we heard about Kumagawa. When it was said that there was a person that the "God-Like Beast Kurokami" couldn't help, it showed a new side to her. The side of her that resents Misogi for being so far out of her reach to help.

The foil between Medaka and Misogi shows, despite her incredible prowess and literally being better than everyone at everything, that in her case sometimes being the better person isn't always the best thing. It's because she's the better person that she's unable to help him or the other Minuses.

If anything else, this sort of puts Zenkichi on the chopping block. After what happened with Kumagawa in middle school, he's made it his mission to protect Medaka from emotional pain. If she manages to defeat Kumagawa on her own then she'll have taken Zenkichi's purpose from him. Love or not, he'll have no real reason to stay by her side. I doubt she'll have considered this, and even if she did it wouldn't matter. Because she's not the type to play herself off as weak just so others can feel strong. (Not that she could do that if she tried)

We know Misogi killed Ajimu, which led Medaka to attack him and realize she can't help everyone. I just think it's the connection between Zenkichi, Ajimu, and Misogi that's the key to bringing him down for good. If it wasn't relevant it wouldn't have happened. And if was Medaka that was supposed to beat him, it would've been her in that classroom with Ajimu. I think Zenkichi has the biggest part of this, I just don't have enough info to fully see how.
Old 2010-12-26, 14:06   Link #3067
Sol Falling

Zenkichi being the key to Kumagawa's defeat moreso than Medaka? Sorry, I'm not seeing that happening. People really need to get over this 'Medaka is a God-mode perfect Mary Sue' issue and learn to just enjoy the manga for what it brings, namely awesomely twisted battles and personalities, Medaka being just one of them. Although she needs to fill in the closers and openers so that the manga can keep some thematic consistency, plenty of characters get the spotlight aside from Medaka the rest of the time--her only battles were the first and last battles of the Flask Plan arc, for example--so there is a lot to enjoy just going with the flow.

Even beyond that, Medaka's perfection is no reason to get all insecure and cynical (i.e. about Zenkichi's place in the manga), as this is both shounen and Nishio we're talking about here. Nishio definitely has some things to say about 'perfection' and 'genius', and that's definitely not masturbation about how it makes you better than everybody. This is a shounen so Medaka'll get a good ending and Zen'll be there for her, but you can throw any negative conclusions about being 'unworthy' or 'unappreciated' out of the window.

Anyway, I am personally so hot for Naze right now, that battle was brilliant. Characters like Medaka or Zenkichi are mains so there's always a feeling of tension like the fate of the manga hinges on their next actions, but characters like Maguro, Nabeshima, and Naze you can just take as reliable background players where you sit back and just know something awesome will happen.

I am pulled in two directions for the outcome of the current battle; the speculation that's been put forth about Kumagawa/Ajimi/Zenkichi meeting up together sounds good but I am also interested in what Hitomi's after with her question; also, anybody else feel like the idea of a date with Kumagawa is pretty revolting/terrifying?

I've formed a new appreciation for Medaka's art after this latest batch of chapters, it really does the job in bringing out an essential sense of all the characters. Medaka's cutely stilted body gestures, Kumagawa's magnetically self-serving personality, background elements like that. It is seriously impressive for me to think of such a unique vision being conveyed by the artist so seamlessly.

Medaka Box is seriously unrelenting awesome right now, doesn't disappoint.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2010-12-26 at 15:59.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 14:28   Link #3068
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Personally, I hope it doesn't happen. Aside from seeing the new characters and new powers, the main reason that I haven't already dropped Medaka Box is because we heard about Kumagawa. When it was said that there was a person that the "God-Like Beast Kurokami" couldn't help, it showed a new side to her. The side of her that resents Misogi for being so far out of her reach to help.

The foil between Medaka and Misogi shows, despite her incredible prowess and literally being better than everyone at everything, that in her case sometimes being the better person isn't always the best thing. It's because she's the better person that she's unable to help him or the other Minuses.

If anything else, this sort of puts Zenkichi on the chopping block. After what happened with Kumagawa in middle school, he's made it his mission to protect Medaka from emotional pain. If she manages to defeat Kumagawa on her own then she'll have taken Zenkichi's purpose from him. Love or not, he'll have no real reason to stay by her side. I doubt she'll have considered this, and even if she did it wouldn't matter. Because she's not the type to play herself off as weak just so others can feel strong. (Not that she could do that if she tried)

We know Misogi killed Ajimu, which led Medaka to attack him and realize she can't help everyone. I just think it's the connection between Zenkichi, Ajimu, and Misogi that's the key to bringing him down for good. If it wasn't relevant it wouldn't have happened. And if was Medaka that was supposed to beat him, it would've been her in that classroom with Ajimu. I think Zenkichi has the biggest part of this, I just don't have enough info to fully see how.
Oh I know plenty of people hope it doesn't happen. Plenty of people also hoped that Medaka wasn't going to be the one to fight Miyakonojou even back when I told them that she was most likely going to. I say these things more so because I'm softening the blow for people and they don't get to act all surprised if it happens.

Zenkichi met her because he was weak enough to get killed while fighting Kumagawa. Medaka hasn't met her because she not only hasn't fought in this arc yet but no one has killed her and forced such a meeting earlier in the series. If she meets her before the arc ends or something then the connection obviously will include her as well. As of now she already has history with the 3 its just that Medaka hasn't died and she is hard to kill to begin with. I agree that there is obvious relevance for Kumagawa, Ajimu, and Zenkichi meeting but that doesn't change my belief that the final match up of the arc is likely to be the bosses of both sides going up against one another.

One thing you miss about Medaka's character is that she isn't trying to reform Kumagawa because she is better than him or that entitles her to it. She believes in all humans and she is trying to correct one of the biggest failures of her life and get beyond the hatred/past she has with Kumagawa. She wants to reform him despite the differences in their abilities and their starting points in life. She wants to make him happy and Koga reminded her of that goal. For the longest time and even still at current times she doesn't believe in geniuses and she denies what her "advantages" are over other people.

But either way, this arc has been enjoyable for me for several reasons. I expect it to continue to get better from here on out. I'm more than happy to just sit back and see how the arc plays out from this point on.
Old 2010-12-26, 15:32   Link #3069
Last Carpet

[QUOTE=Rejuvenation;3408986]

Zenkichi met her because he was weak enough to get killed while fighting Kumagawa. Medaka hasn't met her because she not only hasn't fought in this arc yet but no one has killed her and forced such a meeting earlier in the series. If she meets her before the arc ends or something then the connection obviously will include her as well. As of now she already has history with the 3 its just that Medaka hasn't died and she is hard to kill to begin with. I agree that there is obvious relevance for Kumagawa, Ajimu, and Zenkichi meeting but that doesn't change my belief that the final match up of the arc is likely to be the bosses of both sides going up against one another.

[QUOTE]

I'm not exactly sure that a meeting between Medaka and Ajimu is going to happen. I don't see why it would happen at all because we already know the connection between Medaka, Misogi and Ajimu.

Ajimu and Medaka were close friends in Middle School. Misogi killed Ajimu, leading to Medaka's first shift into Perses Mode. She attacked him and forced him to leave the school. In doing this she realized that she couldn't help him and was left with an emotional scar that still hasn't completely healed.

Misogi was the first person to experience Perses Mode, Medaka's pure, unbridled rage. She wouldn't hate him if she couldn't remember the reason why . That's the main reason she hates Misogi, because he killed Ajimu.

I just can't tell where Zenkichi comes into play.

He and Medaka grew apart in Middle School. We don't know how his relationship with Medaka was, but we do knowthat Medaka and Ajimu were close. Misogi constantly refers to Ajimu as Zenkichi's "girlfriend". And the real kicker here.....

He can't remember a single thing about Ajimu

Not her face, not her name, not a single thing.

We already know how Medaka fits into this, but there's something that connects Zenkichi with this that we haven't seen yet. And I think the missing link that connects Zenkichi and Ajimu, not Medaka and Ajimu, is what's going to cause Misogi's eventual downfall.
Old 2010-12-26, 16:34   Link #3070
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post

I'm not exactly sure that a meeting between Medaka and Ajimu is going to happen. I don't see why it would happen at all because we already know the connection between Medaka, Misogi and Ajimu.

Ajimu and Medaka were close friends in Middle School. Misogi killed Ajimu, leading to Medaka's first shift into Perses Mode. She attacked him and forced him to leave the school. In doing this she realized that she couldn't help him and was left with an emotional scar that still hasn't completely healed.

Misogi was the first person to experience Perses Mode, Medaka's pure, unbridled rage. She wouldn't hate him if she couldn't remember the reason why . That's the main reason she hates Misogi, because he killed Ajimu.

I just can't tell where Zenkichi comes into play.

He and Medaka grew apart in Middle School. We don't know how his relationship with Medaka was, but we do knowthat Medaka and Ajimu were close. Misogi constantly refers to Ajimu as Zenkichi's "girlfriend". And the real kicker here.....

He can't remember a single thing about Ajimu

Not her face, not her name, not a single thing.

We already know how Medaka fits into this, but there's something that connects Zenkichi with this that we haven't seen yet. And I think the missing link that connects Zenkichi and Ajimu, not Medaka and Ajimu, is what's going to cause Misogi's eventual downfall.
I'd hardly say they grew apart in middle school. He is shown being on her side against Akune in middle school and again with the whole Kumagawa thing. If Zenkichi is known for not changing, I highly doubt his relationship with Medaka regressed at this point in time. There are a few more things I would dispute here but I'll leave it alone.

My main reason for doubting a potential meet up in the case of Medaka is that she is hard to kill. But one of my main points was just because she hasn't met her yet doesn't mean anything. Medaka hasn't fought any of the Minuses yet and everyone on her side seems hell bent on making sure she doesn't until the very last moment. So for all intents and purposes, she hasn't gotten the chance because she hasn't fought yet. It appears the only way to meet Ajimu is by dying and Kumagawa is the only one who could probably kill her right now but I don't think it happens unless a meeting needs to happen.

Like I said, I'm fine with letting the arc play out. I'll leave it at this and enjoy how things develop.
Old 2010-12-26, 16:40   Link #3071
KLGChaos
The Shermain

One thing I did notice that Kumagawa said as he was leaving and "trying to break Medaka's will" was that he was trying to make her a normal person who dislikes others occasionally. Frankly, I think it would be GOOD for her, actually. Instead of trying to reform the guy, driving him out would be fine. Yeah, he may never be saved, but it's something that needs to be accepted. Of course, this is a shounen manga so it seems to have to follow the same tired formula that makes me wretch every time I see it.

At the rate this is going, Medaka will NEVER be seen as a normal girl, no matter how much she may want it. Funny that the only person who's really trying to do that is her biggest enemy. Not even Zen is trying.

Oh well. Anyway, fight with Naze was ok. I've taken to reading this in chunks because I can't really handle it on a weekly basis and its definitely far from being on my "must read" list. It's not just MB, but most shounen actions that I avoid now. I just find them boring.
Old 2010-12-26, 17:02   Link #3072
Shadow5YA

Medaka isn't supposed to be a normal girl. Her character was designed to be the Mary Sue. Having her accept a loss like that is more than just becoming normal; it'd be a deconstruction of her entire character. If you think Misogi is just trying to turn Medaka into a normal girl, you're mistaking his intentions and the basis of his character.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 17:50   Link #3073
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Or maybe I just side with him. I am a huge Mary Sue detractor after all. >.> Plus, it would be fun to see Medaka fall.
Old 2010-12-26, 19:24   Link #3074
Shadow5YA

Still, Medaka turning into an ordinary girl is different from her falling. Misogi definitely does not just want to turn Medaka into an ordinary girl.
Old 2010-12-26, 22:45   Link #3075
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
One thing I did notice that Kumagawa said as he was leaving and "trying to break Medaka's will" was that he was trying to make her a normal person who dislikes others occasionally. Frankly, I think it would be GOOD for her, actually. Instead of trying to reform the guy, driving him out would be fine. Yeah, he may never be saved, but it's something that needs to be accepted. Of course, this is a shounen manga so it seems to have to follow the same tired formula that makes me wretch every time I see it.

At the rate this is going, Medaka will NEVER be seen as a normal girl, no matter how much she may want it. Funny that the only person who's really trying to do that is her biggest enemy. Not even Zen is trying.

Oh well. Anyway, fight with Naze was ok. I've taken to reading this in chunks because I can't really handle it on a weekly basis and its definitely far from being on my "must read" list. It's not just MB, but most shounen actions that I avoid now. I just find them boring.
Oh Lord did you miss the whole Medaka II episode or something along the way? Focused, rational, and utterly remorseless remember? And thinking Kumagara would do anything for anyones benefit is laughable in the extreme! 'Breaking her will' MUCH more likely means turning her into something like him, for her to give into such a despair that agreeing with the fallacy of his arguments thus becomes the forgone conclusion. Oh and you're of course ignore the actual logic to the fact that if Medaka didn't stop Kumagawa here he wouldn't continue to rampage across the world. What good does it do anyone to win this one battle only to lose the war later on, hmm!!???

Which she doesn't want, so isn't respecting her decision and doing their best to support her the most any friend can do? Neither Kumagawa or you are doing her any favors here, or anyone else for that matter....
Old 2010-12-26, 23:00   Link #3076
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Eh, I have my right to dislike a character, just like you have a right to. Not going out of your way to reform someone has nothing to do with Medaka turning into the Medaka II version of herself. It's accepting the fact that you can't save everyone and here's a news flash-- it's reality. Of course, this manga is completely out of touch with reality, as are most shounens, but this is further out there than most. Or at maybe it's just less cohesive, which is a big sticking point for me. Random funny just doesn't do it for me.

I'm just giving my view of the situation... Hey, with all the stuff Nishio's pulled before, who's to say that Kumagawa isn't the real hero of the story and Medaka's actually the villain? He may just be trying to change Medaka so he can free all the lesser people from being forced to follow her rule when she takes over the world and makes everyone live the way she thinks they should live.
Old 2010-12-26, 23:10   Link #3077
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Eh, I have my right to dislike a character, just like you have a right to. Not going out of your way to reform someone has nothing to do with Medaka turning into the Medaka II version of herself. It's accepting the fact that you can't save everyone and here's a news flash-- it's reality. Of course, this manga is completely out of touch with reality, as are most shounens, but this is further out there than most. Or at maybe it's just less cohesive, which is a big sticking point for me. Random funny just doesn't do it for me.

I'm just giving my view of the situation... Hey, with all the stuff Nishio's pulled before, who's to say that Kumagawa isn't the real hero of the story and Medaka's actually the villain? He may just be trying to change Medaka so he can free all the lesser people from being forced to follow her rule when she takes over the world and makes everyone live the way she thinks they should live.
You're missing the point. It isn't about Medaka accepting reality. Medaka is far from normal, and Kumagawa defies reality with his powers. Kumagawa's character is to oppose and troll anyone who isn't on his side. He has no intention of teaching Medaka a practical life lesson, and that certainly wasn't his intention when he tried to withdraw from the school.

Feel free to dislike Medaka for being a Mary Sue, but you're mistaken if you believe that Kumagawa is being realistic.
Old 2010-12-26, 23:30   Link #3078
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Never said he was being realistic. I'm just saying that with the way Nishio is writing this, you never know exactly what could happen. I don't support Kumagawa's methods or what he wants to do (make everyone in the same people with nothing standing out). However, if it means changing Medaka and making her less... Medaka-like, I'm all for it. And her accepting reality has nothing to do with what Kumagawa's true intentions, but it's something she needs to do. Or this is going to become REALLY nauseating... Like Kenichi level. Heck, at least even Naruto had villains that stayed villains, despite all the defeat means friendship running around.

And please note, I also hated Haruhi with a passion.

I really should just stop posting on these forums, though. Any kind of differing opinion gets attacked like I'm threatening the posters themselves. :/ It's kind if like going to the PS3 forum at ign and saying "I'm enjoy the PS3 enough, but I prefer my 360 as I don't like some thing about the PS3".

Anyway, it'll be my last post in this thread.
Old 2010-12-27, 00:18   Link #3079
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
... Instead of trying to reform the guy, driving him out would be fine. Yeah, he may never be saved, but it's something that needs to be accepted...
And then what? Kumagawa is still going to try and make everyones life miserable outside of the school, he isn't going to stop being twisted and evil just becuase he's been kicked out of the school, hell as Koga had mentioned, they might end up confronting him and his group again in the future and he'll be worse than he is at the moment.

Reforming Kumagawa isn't just about Medaka's desire to make everyone happy, it's also about fixing a serious problem that could end up having a crazed person going on rampage. Kicking him out will only avert the problem for a time, but never fix it.
Old 2010-12-27, 01:29   Link #3080
Sol Falling

Quote:
Never said he was being realistic. I'm just saying that with the way Nishio is writing this, you never know exactly what could happen. I don't support Kumagawa's methods or what he wants to do (make everyone in the same people with nothing standing out). However, if it means changing Medaka and making her less... Medaka-like, I'm all for it. And her accepting reality has nothing to do with what Kumagawa's true intentions, but it's something she needs to do. Or this is going to become REALLY nauseating... Like Kenichi level. Heck, at least even Naruto had villains that stayed villains, despite all the defeat means friendship running around.
Wow, do you sound persecuted. Does shounen characters actually trying to save and help people with their ridiculous h4x powers emotionally injure you? It's impossible to make everybody happy, so a mangas and characters are worthless if they even try? Don't you just come across as a little bundle of misery.

Kumagawa being the real hero? Can anyone fucking come up with this as a premise while actually possessing higher brain functions? Sure, he has a more 'realistic' personality than Medaka does, but if you would actually empathize with him over her you are less than human. Kumagawa is the embodiment of laziness and self-gratification, to the point that he would actually wish for a world where studying or working are forbidden and universal participation in indiscriminate sexual relations is mandatory. Kumagawa is not about making everybody the same, he is about forcefully dragging down the rest of the world to his level of absolute personal failure. He is an absolute and terrifying villain precisely because he embodies the act of irrevocably succumbing to our 'realistic' base human desires.

Even forcing everyone to work hard and be happy is unquestionably better than that. Real world or fiction, your offense towards Medaka's core personality really can't amount to anything more than a defense of 'people's right to be lazy'. "Poor me, the world is a sucky place where people who ain't geniuses can't be happy; it is my right to make a mediocre little shit of myself and you can't talk cause god gave you h4x brains and money" is all "she's a tyrant who should be taken down a notch" basically says to me. It is true enough that most people can't reasonably be expected to be a Medaka or a Zenkichi, but to take offense that they actually bother to struggle and succeed is purely misguided.

Medaka Box is turning out to be just as solid as Nishio work as any of his other series, and that means that yes, its underlying themes are well thought out and genuine. People need to take their heads out of the sand and look at the actual ideas/characterization being shown in the story.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council