AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-05, 23:38   Link #421
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

renrutal makes the circumstances sound much more tame than the source material...
RMX suddenly makes me think of one lowly digger, Simon that makes Kamina's advances possible. And... I will be very sad if Kyon or Kyonko has to say "Suzumiya is not here anymore! I am... ------{///> (blah)"

Darn. The part that I really enjoyed with Suzumiya Haruhi series is how that Kyon really has such a unique mind. Kyonspeak is chalk full of references that I happily swallow down and the character practically sings with his grumbles to me anyway. Now how to get Kyon-ko do that...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:41   Link #422
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Darn. The part that I really enjoyed with Suzumiya Haruhi series is how that Kyon really has such a unique mind. Kyonspeak is chalk full of references that I happily swallow down and the character practically sings with his grumbles to me anyway. Now how to get Kyon-ko do that...
Kyon is no more unique than another cynical person (although I admit he's a bit extreme).

It's just that getting to see the inside of such a person is an unique experience, for most people.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:44   Link #423
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I have not heard of a high school cynic that can talk about turtle ships and argue with no end over whether to acknowledge it as a myth, take it as reality, accept the story prima facie, or to consider it as 'fact' according to history while not really emotionally embroiled with the topic. It is not his rantings that I am amused with, but how he is able to incite these things to back his melancholic mumblings~ it is really amusing to see a cynical youth able to make such connection and inferences, for I mostly see mere cynics back in high school that cannot back their arguments, or mindless drones that merely recite these facts yet never able to apply them to their own scenarios in life.

Somehow, on second thought, I think this might be rather... limited view to look at the material. Alot of people can't stand Koizumi's ontological technobabbles, and finds Nagato's cryptic error logs hard to comprehend... and they find the fun in the weird antics of SOS and the hardships of Asahina. I guess I might be in a small subset that loves it the moment that Kyon pokes really dry fun at Genro and the last of the Tokugawa XD

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2008-03-05, 23:51   Link #424
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I have not heard of a high school cynic that can talk about turtle ships and argue with no end over whether to acknowledge it as a myth, take it as reality, accept the story prima facie, or to consider it as 'fact' according to history while not really emotionally embroiled with the topic. It is not his rantings that I am amused with, but how he is able to incite these things to back his melancholic mumblings~ it is really amusing to see a cynical youth able to make such connection and inferences, for I mostly see mere cynics back in high school that cannot back their arguments, or mindless drones that merely recite these facts yet never able to apply them to their own scenarios in life.
I have a theory that one of the reasons Kyon peppers his narration with references like that is because he's writing the story from about 20-30 years in the future.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:54   Link #425
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
renrutal makes the circumstances sound much more tame than the source material...
RMX suddenly makes me think of one lowly digger, Simon that makes Kamina's advances possible. And... I will be very sad if Kyon or Kyonko has to say "Suzumiya is not here anymore! I am... ------{///> (blah)"

No one's going to be able to surpass the mass of GAR in this series that is Haruki. I think we can be assured of that (at least until we finally address the alternate SOS crew).

As for Kyon. No one's going to be able to replace that crazy son-of-a-biatch. For a "normal human', he's one of the most unique individuals I've ever come across in a work of fiction, although admittedly I haven't experienced all that much yet.

What makes this interesting is trying to translate Kyon's unique characteristics and experiences into the whole new character that is Kyon-chan. They're not going to line up exactly, and I wouldn't expect them to. There's nobody to replace an indiviudal point for point in every trait and memory that has been built up into the person that they formed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I have a theory that one of the reasons Kyon peppers his narration with references like that is because he's writing the story from about 20-30 years in the future.
The present tense kind of throws that off though.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:56   Link #426
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The tense in the Haruhi storyline... that is possible actually, although the actual tense used in the Japanese version and the Chinese translation is a mix of mostly present tense with some past recollections, whereas in Baka-Tsuki's translation past tense is used due to ease of following. When I was translating, this was a headache for the proofreaders. There is a unified format API that could be read on Baka-Tsuki regarding formatting on this actually.

And yes, I personally got suspicious when Kyon gets talking about things such "Marianas Turkey Shoot", for that's not even what a typical Japanese high school student is supposed to learn in the textbooks!

Old 2008-03-06, 00:01   Link #427
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The tense in the Haruhi storyline... that is possible actually, although the actual tense used in the Japanese version and the Chinese translation is a mix of mostly present tense with some past recollections, whereas in Baka-Tsuki's translation past tense is used due to ease of following. When I was translating, this was a headache for the proofreaders.
Ah, you're one of the translators. I didn't know that.

Yeah, present tense means nothing. He makes reference to the "readers" several times.

Besides, have any of you read any of Frank McCourt's books? He writes about himself and his own history, but writes as though it's happening at that moment.

Also, he doesn't use quotation marks. Ever.

By the way, I found this list of "inter-character names" on Baka-Tsuki.
Old 2008-03-06, 00:07   Link #428
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
To be saved by the handsome prince of yore?

Don't ask me. Ask my twisted sense of inspiration. I was editing the text to make it more feminine, saw the line about "saving the captured princess" and it hit me.

If Kyon watched shonen anime, I'm guessing Kyon-ko watched (bad) shojo.
Here is a question, are you making Kyon-chan a tsundere? If so that line just doesn't quite seemed to compute. Also bad shoujo is more likely, imho, to turn her into a yaoi fangirl (I don't have much experience with shoujo so its purely guesswork on my part).
tshouryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:08   Link #429
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
And yes, I personally got suspicious when Kyon gets talking about things such "Marianas Turkey Shoot", for that's not even what a typical Japanese high school student is supposed to learn in the textbooks!
And you're saying that Japanese students only knows what they learn in school?

In my opinion, you're either underestimating the Japanese students, or overestimating the maturity of Kyon.
Old 2008-03-06, 00:10   Link #430
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Kang Seung Jae: I pessimistically would say that this isn't the kind of image nor the information that the Japanese educators want to feed to their own youth. Therefore, it is not uncommon for the youth to remain completely oblivious to such things. Heck, the fall of the last empress of South Korea I doubt would be something they would talk about, whereas the naval victory over Tsushima Strait, 1905 would be trumpeted in the Japanese textbooks.

As such, given how the Japanese educational system kills self-learning with their regime, for people to know more than what they are spoon fed is surprising.

Kaisos Erranon: That sound interesting.

(and I will apologize for going off on a huge tangent right now and think more about Kyon-ko, as I realize that my words are going adrift on a 'nice boat' cruise )

Old 2008-03-06, 00:11   Link #431
unmoldedtruck

Send a message via AIM to unmoldedtruck
Totally random, but maybe this thread should be "The Genderbending of Haruki Suzumiya".
________
RXV450

Last edited by unmoldedtruck; 2011-01-24 at 19:58.
unmoldedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:12   Link #432
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
Here is a question, are you making Kyon-chan a tsundere? If so that line just doesn't quite seemed to compute.
Not really. Not a typical tsundere, no. Typical tsunderes only really work when they don't narrate the story.
Old 2008-03-06, 00:13   Link #433
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post
Totally random, but maybe this thread should be "The Genderbending of Haruki Suzumiya".
Well the idea is that Haruhi's crew is the one being genderbent. The other title implies the reverse.

Old 2008-03-06, 00:15   Link #434
renrutal

Quote:
I'd say the source material is much more tame than this

Now what was again the point of the Dai-Gurr... erm Dai-SOS Brigade, would they still be into paranormal events? I still don't know Haruki's objectives.... to overload the world with manliness?

What would Haruki write in the ground 3 years ago? Challenge the whole universe by writing "ORE WO DARE DA TO OMOTTEYAGARU" in alien speak?

Another trait of Haruki: regarding himself as "Ore-sama".
renrutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:18   Link #435
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Kang Seung Jae: I pessimistically would say that this isn't the kind of image nor the information that the Japanese educators want to feed to their own youth. Therefore, it is not uncommon for the youth to remain completely oblivious to such things. Heck, the fall of the last empress of South Korea I doubt would be something they would talk about, whereas the naval victory over Tsushima Strait, 1905 would be trumpeted in the Japanese textbooks.

As such, given how the Japanese educational system kills self-learning with their regime, for people to know more than what they are spoon fed is surprising.
And I pessimistically say that you don't have much knowledge on what Japanese students know
Old 2008-03-06, 00:20   Link #436
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrutal View Post
I'd say the source material is much more tame than this

Now what was again the point of the Dai-Gurr... erm Dai-SOS Brigade, would they still be into paranormal events? I still don't know Haruki's objectives.... to overload the world with manliness?

What would Haruki write in the ground 3 years ago? Challenge the whole universe by writing "ORE WO DARE DA TO OMOTTEYAGARU" in alien speak?

Another trait of Haruki: regarding himself as "Ore-sama".
We can't use "Ore-sama" in English.

And for the love of God, he's not exactly Kamina. He's too pretty for that.

Though the "Save the world by Overloading it with Suzumiya Haruki's manliness Brigade" sounds not half bad.
Old 2008-03-06, 00:23   Link #437
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Sorry about that. Going back to topic... at least that kiss with Haruki wasn't the kiss of death as it were with Yoko and Kamina.

Old 2008-03-06, 00:24   Link #438
renrutal

Ore-sama -> I, the <insert a superlative adjective here> Haruki Suzumiya
renrutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:27   Link #439
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

@panzerfan and Kang Seung Jae: Enough.

@rentutal: Keep thinking of the ways in which Haruki can spread hot bloodedness to the far reaches of the universe.

@Everyone else: Find ways for Kyon-chan to make him fail miserably.

Old 2008-03-06, 00:29   Link #440
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
@panzerfan and Kang Seung Jae: Enough.
All right, mate.

Meanwhile, on Kyon-chan: Can I have a short summary on her mental processing style?

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan