AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-03-22, 11:58   Link #1221
Justin_Brett

Well Arnage kind of blows the idea of them having hidden scars out of the water with her outfit. Deville, too, unless he's got it 'down there'.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 03:26   Link #1222
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

I always got the impression that their infection was more mental problem ( going berserk and bloodlust) than physical, Toma vision and mind process was altered but otherwise his body is still functionning.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 04:16   Link #1223
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
I always got the impression that their infection was more mental problem ( going berserk and bloodlust) than physical, Toma vision and mind process was altered but otherwise his body is still functionning.
Implying that mental process are more than "just" the mind-bogglingly complex chemistry of a very physical brain.
Old 2011-03-23, 06:03   Link #1224
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Mental and physical always are two different things in fiction.

Still, the whole super regeneration, body toughness and 'will turn into a blob if no killing' show its very much a physical thing.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 16:08   Link #1225
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Did i miss a note here that Heimdall is added to the usual location?

I was thinking some of the scenes were in a different order

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 02:08   Link #1226
Fluegel

This is starting to remind me of MGS4 all over again.

When in doubt of any explanation,

Nano-Machines.
Nano-Machines Everywhere.
Fluegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 04:14   Link #1227
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
To excuse super-powers, in the 1950s-1960 something, the excuse was RADIOACTIVITY. Between 1970s-1990s, it was mainly GENETICS. Now, it is NANOMACHINES.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 04:50   Link #1228
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

I think that "a wizard did it" is still totally applicable in this context.

Arcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 08:44   Link #1229
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

"MAGIC!" will always be a viable excuse, mostly because magic can't be debunked by science. Since, you know, "MAGIC!"
Old 2011-03-24, 08:45   Link #1230
Justin_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcc View Post
For the people who are immune to magic.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Hucks only have these powers so they can actually pose a threat to the good guys in the first place, really, so they're not meant to be questioned.

Like Doomsday. He was created just to kill Superman, and at the time had no backstory at all.
Old 2011-03-24, 08:57   Link #1231
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcc View Post
Perhaps. Still, I couldn't help but think that Tsuzuki's trying to do Star Wars' Midichlorian approach here...

Maybe it's the matter of wording. There's been more techy words instead of wizardy ones lately. Using the word 'Virus' instead of 'Curse' for instance.
Old 2011-03-24, 09:08   Link #1232
Justin_Brett

...well now I can't unsee that.

"Even Curren doesn't have an Eclipse virus count that high!"
Old 2011-03-24, 09:33   Link #1233
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
You guys are talking like the Eclipse is some kind of deus ex machine plot device.

The virus was mentioned early on and it has a clear set of abilities that the story has stuck to the whole way. It's not like the Huckebein keep pulling out random super powers that are hand waved by "Oh, it's just another effect of the virus!"
Old 2011-03-24, 09:42   Link #1234
Justin_Brett

Oh, I was saying the only reason the Virus makes them super strong as well as dependant on killing was so they could fight Section Six. Which is true, in much the same way Doomsday is super-strong so he could fight Superman on equal fighting.

The other guys were just complaining that it doesn't really have any down-sides for them, which I kind of agree with. It's not like they're going to get withdrawals in the middle of a fight.
Old 2011-03-24, 09:50   Link #1235
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Perhaps. Still, I couldn't help but think that Tsuzuki's trying to do Star Wars' Midichlorian approach here...
A detail people often tend to forget is that midichlorians don't change anything about the Force itself, its merely how Jedi connect to it. Ever since Empire we knew that being a Jedi was something biological, midichlorians merely explained what that biological thing is.

Midichlorians in Nanohaverse? We already have them. They're called Linker Cores.
Old 2011-03-24, 10:07   Link #1236
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Oh, I was saying the only reason the Virus makes them super strong as well as dependant on killing was so they could fight Section Six. Which is true, in much the same way Doomsday is super-strong so he could fight Superman on equal fighting.

The other guys were just complaining that it doesn't really have any down-sides for them, which I kind of agree with. It's not like they're going to get withdrawals in the middle of a fight.
Turning into a pile of goo if you don't kill is a pretty big downside.

And the virus isn't the only thing they have going for them. Section 6 has the means to hurt them and potentially beat them. The strike cannons were shown to work on them, Heimdall would have worked on them too. And yet, the Huckebein are still able to put up a fight and score some wins. Beyond their powers they do have their own set of combat skills.

Compare to Accelerator from Index. All he had going for him was his super power, but once Thoma negated it, Accelerator was a super weakling.

I suppose the Doomsday comparison is apt, in that Superman was so ridiculously broken himself that they needed to make Doomsday since no one else could beat him. Same kinda thing going on in Nanoha, where the protagonists were insanely powerful and unbeatable by season 3.
Old 2011-03-24, 10:11   Link #1237
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

(I prefer) Karen :Join us and we shall rule the worlds as brothers and sisters!

Quote:
...well now I can't unsee that.

"Even Curren doesn't have an Eclipse virus count that high!"
Well they already has some kind of power meter back at season one, when they still describe it with numbers instead of power levels...

Don't try to frighten us with your magical's ways. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you to protect the teens or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Huckebeins' hidden ship-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
A detail people often tend to forget is that midichlorians don't change anything about the Force itself, its merely how Jedi connect to it. Ever since Empire we knew that being a Jedi was something biological, midichlorians merely explained what that biological thing is.

Midichlorians in Nanohaverse? We already have them. They're called Linker Cores.
I was under the impression that Linker Cores are metaphysical. And my dissatisfaction with the midichlorian thing was that it reduces the mysticism out of it (science-y word). I always prefer to know the rules and limitations on magic or the Force, but that's just to avoid "hey wait, why must [INSERT DRAMATIC EVENT] happened if he has the power of x to do y?" moments; having science explaining all in a story that was supposed to combine magic and science is a bit disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
And the virus isn't the only thing they have going for them. Section 6 has the means to hurt them and potentially beat them. The strike cannons were shown to work on them, Heimdall would have worked on them too. And yet, the Huckebein are still able to put up a fight and score some wins. Beyond their powers they do have their own set of combat skills.

Compare to Accelerator from Index. All he had going for him was his super power, but once Thoma negated it, Accelerator was a super weakling.
Wait, for that Accelerator comparison to work shouldn't we go to the hypothetical scenario where the Hucks get their power negated?

And by your example of course the Hucks would win - it's like how Section 6 now has T-34/85's, but the Hucks has King Tigers. Can Section 6 do some damage? Yes. Does their stats compare equally? No.

Section 6 might be able to reduce the disadvantage by dropping the "shining armor knight" act and do smart things, like ambushes, illusions or traps, but that would be breaking character so good luck with that, none of the good guys had ever do those except for Chrono (who got kicked upstairs) and- where's Teana again?

...probably off to a beach photoshoot along with Steed...

Last edited by Tiresias; 2011-03-24 at 10:27.
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 10:39   Link #1238
Justin_Brett

Not for people that have no problem at all with killing, it's not.

Logic says that even if the Hucks have raw power, most of them probably aren't very talented with their abilities. And no, the Strike Cannons don't really work on them. They just regenerate. Or not get harmed at all, in Curren's case.

(Also Superman isn't really that broken, people who don't pay any attention to him just think that.)
Old 2011-03-24, 10:46   Link #1239
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

Quote:
Logic says that even if the Hucks have raw power, most of them probably aren't very talented with their abilities.
You say that word so much. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Arcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 10:52   Link #1240
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
It's not like the Huckebein keep pulling out random super powers that are hand waved by "Oh, it's just another effect of the virus!"
Which is exactly more or less the way Cypha portrayed those powers in her battle with Signum.

Signum: I'll chop your arm OFF!
Cypha: surprise! i have super regeneration and also a very tough body!
*Laevateinn cracks*
Agito: Then have this super multi target firebal spell!
Cypha: Useless! I have full anti-magic now haha!
Signum: Then taste the edge of my sword.
Cypha: LOL no, bladed weapons also didn't work on me...

While it's true that their powers don't make them immune against "everything" they are effectively created to counter the main cast specifically, and while it's true the AEC was designed to fight them and is able to do some damage, it also proved to be insufficient for a true method of defeating these guys. So far the Huckebein are not fighting the heroes seriously, they're only shrugging off anything launched at them by this point with the only exception of the Heimdall(and that's only because Hayate exploits a loophole) ...and Curren end up laughing at that too xDU. So yeah basically they only exist to kick the heroes butts to the next morning.

Quote:
Quote:
Turning into a pile of goo if you don't kill is a pretty big downside.
But not an "in-fight" downside, they didn't have a truly exploitable "weakpoint", sure if they not kill they will go mad and die as a lump of meat. But other than that, they're invincible battle-wise. Impervious to most damage, and able to recover very damn quickly for the rare cases they end up injured, enhaced strenght, good firepower and the ability to "eclipse" magic. They can shrug off being freaking dissmembered for Pete's sake! Yeah, probably said abilities can have a limit or some drawback but that wasn't stablished yet, for the moment there's no real way of taking down these guys.

Quote:
Beyond their powers they do have their own set of combat skills.
And we see how well said combat skills "helped" Cypha against Signum right xD? OK, teasing aside they do have some good abilities of their own and are capable fighters, but most of them rely heavily on their Eclipse-enhaced powers to fight their battles and i'm pretty sure that if they get de-eclipsed their combat capability will be greatly reduced during the first period after the de-powering until they re-learn to fight without the haxed powers.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-03-24 at 11:26.
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manga, nanoha force