AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-06, 18:00   Link #221
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Well, when this project announced on 4-6 month ago Toshifumi Akai name is not even mentioned at first and main webpages show that big Mel Kishida artline as the headlines. and on 2-3 month after that "TA-DAAAAAA" several magazine show the screencaps with the K-onized artworks, can you imagine the RAGED feeling for whom waiting this show with hopes can see the magnificent chara design they "promised" to people at the first time ?
The trailer of this anime had been out since what? Summer 2009?

Isn't a little too late to complain about the designs?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 18:11   Link #222
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The trailer of this anime had been out since what? Summer 2009?

Isn't a little too late to complain about the designs?
The project announced on July 09
and has Kishida Meru on Original Chara Designer and i don't hear anythiiiiing about Akai Toshifumi on this project at that time. And "booom" 2-4 month ago the first screencaps revealed and from of nowhere Akai already on the list of staff.

I'm feel deceived, but honestly can't say anything bad about the current progress. But i don't think can feel the hype about this animu again.
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 18:11   Link #223
billborden

Quote:
Well, when this project announced on 4-6 month ago Toshifumi Akai name is not even mentioned at first and main webpages show that big Mel Kishida artline as the headlines. and on 2-3 month after that "TA-DAAAAAA" several magazine show the screencaps with the K-onized artworks, can you imagine the RAGED feeling for whom waiting this show with hopes can see the magnificent chara design they "promised" to people at the first time ?
UMMM...you believed advertising from the entertainment industry ? Whether it's anime, movies, TV or even Video Games, take whatever they claim (in print or art) divide by two, then round down. You'll end up being surprised much less often and when it does happen, it will normally be in a good way. This is less a matter of reduced expectations and more just a realistic take on advertising--also known as "lying for profit".
Old 2010-01-06, 18:22   Link #224
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
and has Kishida Meru on Original Chara Designer and i don't hear anythiiiiing about Akai Toshifumi on this project at that time. And "booom" 2-4 month ago the first screencaps revealed and from of nowhere Akai already on the list of staff.

I'm feel deceived, but honestly can't say anything bad about the current progress. But i don't think can feel the hype about this animu again.
They were prob saving the best for last.

Although, I do sympathize. A similar feeling for me was with Shangri-la. You just got to enjoy this work sep from the work of the original character designer.
Old 2010-01-06, 18:23   Link #225
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I smell the owl's the mastermind of the operation.
Old 2010-01-06, 18:35   Link #226
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
If you see a water throwing festival as ecchi, dark and demeaning, I recommend you avoid any number of Italian festivals--the tomato one would really freak you out. I'm sorry, but unless you want to dig into some sort of deep Freudian unconscious interpretation , this was just a scene of people--including Konata once she understood what was happening--acting out and having fun.

I'm really getting much less of a K-on feel, art aside, than I am of Aria. Just from eps 1, I'm seeing something on the order of Akari meets Miyafuji. Combine that with the beautiful art and great music, this is in the running for my favorite of the season
lol, it is probably very Freudian, true, but I wasn't talking about the water throwing festival in general, I was talking about that specific scene where she's on all fours and soaked and this group of four or so guys basically just dump a whole bucket on her. You can sorta see her crumple from the impact a bit and her head's facing down the whole time, she's not even looking, really--clearly still getting over the shock and dismay of getting soaked the first/second time. The way they seem to focus on that shot just a moment too long, with her soaked on the floor and everything, her expression and posture clearly conveying that she's not enjoying this, I do think it was very demeaning (and, as I enjoyied said demeanment because it made me think dirty things as I mentioned earlier, that gave it a fairly dark feeling as well).

Anyway, as I said I'd even completely forgotten the scene by the end of the episode, which kind of emphasizes how completely seperate from the rest of the show that scene was, to me. But just on a completely objective level, based on the amount of time they spent focusing on that frame, I think the intended purpose really must have been fanservice.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 18:41   Link #227
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
The trailer of the anime was posted by kyourai back in August, and generally the first impressions ranged from "K-on! meets Strike Witches", "Mugi goes to war" to "Aria, Strike Witches and K-on! have a three ways love child".
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 18:51   Link #228
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Anyway, as I said I'd even completely forgotten the scene by the end of the episode, which kind of emphasizes how completely seperate from the rest of the show that scene was, to me. But just on a completely objective level, based on the amount of time they spent focusing on that frame, I think the intended purpose really must have been fanservice.
I don't know, I read it differently. The separateness is there, but I think what is being emphasized is Konata's separation from the people of the town. Before this, she is an observer; after, she seems to be taken in as one of them. This can be seen as more of a baptism/ritual cleansing that is needed to bring her into the community. You can read a darker connotation, but I think that is being read into the scene, rather than emerging from it.

Just my opinion, but then this scene syncs with her later immersion in the river: the first drenching being symbolic of the latter. In cultures both East and West, passing through/being drawn out of water is often seen as representative of the death/rebirth cycle. In this case her "death" as an outsider is necessary for her "rebirth" as a member of the fire-maidens.
Old 2010-01-06, 19:13   Link #229
scr
my sides are in orbit

Nice first eps btw. This is like Haibane Renmei + Strike Witches + K-ON!, to me.
Haibane Renmei - premonition (see below)
Strike Witches - pantsuwar
K-ON! - the characters

Spoiler for eps1:

Nice wetting festival btw. *chuckles*
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 19:13   Link #230
orion

Quote:
lol, it is probably very Freudian, true, but I wasn't talking about the water throwing festival in general, I was talking about that specific scene where she's on all fours and soaked and this group of four or so guys basically just dump a whole bucket on her. You can sorta see her crumple from the impact a bit and her head's facing down the whole time, she's not even looking, really--clearly still getting over the shock and dismay of getting soaked the first/second time. The way they seem to focus on that shot just a moment too long, with her soaked on the floor and everything, her expression and posture clearly conveying that she's not enjoying this, I do think it was very demeaning (and, as I enjoyied said demeanment because it made me think dirty things as I mentioned earlier, that gave it a fairly dark feeling as well).
Well, the girls were prob sacrifices to appease whatever god that dragon was in the past. The girls are being burned to death. You don't just dribble water on burning people. It's prob not meant to be demeaning at this point in the city's timeline imo. Guys were hitting other guys with it also. Way back when prob sh*t was hitting the fan and it wasn't a good thing being a fire maiden. Blood and bodies being sacrificed. Not my idea of fun.

But people can read into it whatever they want. Lots of traditions have very dark pasts, like Guy Fawkes Day, St. Nicholas (Santa Claus)

Last edited by orion; 2010-01-06 at 19:40.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 19:19   Link #231
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The trailer of the anime was posted by kyourai back in August, and generally the first impressions ranged from "K-on! meets Strike Witches", "Mugi goes to war" to "Aria, Strike Witches and K-on! have a three ways love child".
Well i forgot the first time i'm watch the trailer, but i see the first screencaps around august or october and already disappointed since then.

oh enough about my ranting

But the OP is really good (well its kalafina) I wonder when the single released
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 20:59   Link #232
Nosauz

I wasn't really impressed with this. Trumpeting was gawd awful. Talk about ways to kill intersting in brass.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 21:44   Link #233
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Certainly, not as horrible as K-On! which is no compliment. Dunno, the setting seems a cultural mess, by throwing japaneese into a european rural setting (which was NOT the case for Haibane Renmei ). Also cute, but stupid girl meets tsundere senpai and for those two they just recycled Yui and Mio character designs. What about that older soldier, looks like the teacher from K-On!

On the positive side, the photography (photoshop?) was much better then K-On! And in any case I need a show to help me sleep, unfortunately I watched this before Tenpa Teki na Kanojo and now I see spending the night thinking how much TV shows suck now-a-days
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 22:09   Link #234
typhonsentra

I dunno what to say....

Judging by the first episode it feels like it had a more ambitious initial concept with this whole fantasy world but..... it feels like it's just going to be a K-on style moe blob fest (With music as the key theme)?

And my God, the animation is unbelievably awful, this is from the studio that brought us Kannagi? Even ignoring the animation, the girl kept going off model and there was very little attempts at movement during crowd scenes.... and it can only get worse from here given that this was the first episode.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 22:30   Link #235
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well, the girls were prob sacrifices to appease whatever god that dragon was in the past. The girls are being burned to death. You don't just dribble water on burning people. It's prob not meant to be demeaning at this point in the city's timeline imo. Guys were hitting other guys with it also. Way back when prob sh*t was hitting the fan and it wasn't a good thing being a fire maiden. Blood and bodies being sacrificed. Not my idea of fun.

But people can read into it whatever they want. Lots of traditions have very dark pasts, like Guy Fawkes Day, St. Nicholas (Santa Claus)
lol, I am totally dragging this conversation on pointlessly right now but there is a difference between showing fully aware, prepared (on some level) townspeople splashing water at each other and fixating on a confused, distressed person crawling around on the ground. While we can readily trust that the townspeople dumped that bucket of water on Konata in said distressed state only in amiable accordance with the festivities, it is the camera, grotesquely focused on Konata's discomfort/suffering (lol, though to really call it suffering would be exaggerated) at that moment, that makes that scene demeaning (and kinda hot --> thus fanservice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by billborden View Post
I don't know, I read it differently. The separateness is there, but I think what is being emphasized is Konata's separation from the people of the town. Before this, she is an observer; after, she seems to be taken in as one of them. This can be seen as more of a baptism/ritual cleansing that is needed to bring her into the community. You can read a darker connotation, but I think that is being read into the scene, rather than emerging from it.

Just my opinion, but then this scene syncs with her later immersion in the river: the first drenching being symbolic of the latter. In cultures both East and West, passing through/being drawn out of water is often seen as representative of the death/rebirth cycle. In this case her "death" as an outsider is necessary for her "rebirth" as a member of the fire-maidens.
That is a pretty interesting interpretation. Kudos for making that connection with the symbology. Being splashed with the water indeed works very well if seen as a baptism for becoming a fire maiden. However, whatever deeper meaning the scene holds doesn't preclude it from being fanservice. That's sorta what I'm saying. That scene just sorta has a pervy feel to it (it's her expression really). And it's not really a 'sexy' perviness, it's of a humiliating/demeaning kind, where we're watching (kinda voyeuristically) a soaked girl crawl around on the floor while people dump water on her. Though there's nothing really wrong with that; I enjoyed it, and cognitive dissonance can often be a carrier of awesome. It just seemed strangely dark to have that kind of thing in an anime that's supposed to be 'heartwarming'. (Rewatching the scene again, her distressed expression is actually a lot cuter than I'd remembered it. So maybe it's not as dark as I thought it was. If deep down she is maybe actually enjoying it (to say it again, though, that is: crawling around on the floor while having water dumped on her) (lol, happy self-demeanment is my favourite kind of bondage/humiliation), then it wouldn't really be dark at all. This whole thing is still wholly divorced from a wholesome, 'heartwarming' image though).

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2010-01-06 at 22:41.
Old 2010-01-06, 22:40   Link #236
orion

Quote:
lol, I am totally dragging this conversation on pointlessly right now but there is a difference between showing fully aware, prepared (on some level) townspeople splashing water at each other and fixating on a confused, distressed person crawling around on the ground. While we can readily trust that the townspeople dumped that bucket of water on Konata in said distressed state only in amiable accordance with the festivities, it is the camera, grotesquely focused on Konata's discomfort/suffering (lol, though to really call it suffering would be exaggerated) at that moment, that makes that scene demeaning (and kinda hot --> thus fanservice).
Well I suppose some sequestered people would find a person in non clingy clothes military getting wet "hot".... Thankfully, I'm not one of those.

Hmmm... I think you're reading way too much into this, seeing bondage, demeaning things to females all in one poor town's festival as this in no way looks like its counterpart in hentai.

The red stuff that's being splashed and shot at people (little kids were in the act too) ain't water. It's prob representative of blood.
Old 2010-01-06, 22:50   Link #237
Sol Falling

Quote:
Well I suppose some sequestered people would find a person in non clingy clothes military getting wet "hot".... Thankfully, I'm not one of those.

Hmmm... I think you're reading way too much into this, seeing bondage, demeaning things to females all in one poor town's festival as this in no way looks like its counterpart in hentai.

The red stuff that's being splashed and shot at people (little kids were in the act too) ain't water. It's prob representative of blood.
It's a lite-version. 'Fanservice'. I don't think the red is representative of blood, though. The legendary basis for throwing the water on people was to put out the dragon's fire ('cause the maidens were embracing it). The liquid itself is probably some kind of juice or wine, but I think the mythic counterpart it's representing is probably indeed water.
Old 2010-01-06, 23:06   Link #238
orion

Quote:
It's a lite-version. 'Fanservice'. I don't think the red is representative of blood, though. The legendary basis for throwing the water on people was to put out the dragon's fire ('cause the maidens were embracing it). The liquid itself is probably some kind of juice or wine, but I think the mythic counterpart it's representing is probably indeed water.
Lite only if you're sequested and desperate.

If it's water, then they'd use it. They only ones that got doused with the water and dousing with water was the maiden. The demon/dragon firebombed the city so people died. The red liquid that the people are spraying so happily in the town could represent the blood of the dead from the firebombings or the destruction that rained from the skies caused by the demon. Being a European setting, my bet is for "blood" or demon destruction.

It's prob left up to the individual for interpretation until the anime tells us.

Last edited by orion; 2010-01-06 at 23:17.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 00:24   Link #239
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Didn't the nazi do the same? Also I'm pretty sure "they are older then they look" device is applied here. Not that it matters much, the age and concept of when you are not a kid anymore has changed over the ages (and different cultures have differences too).
They look fine to me, you can interpret 5 fingers on each hand. If anything the feet are the weirder ones. BTW, what time is that scene from anyway?
True, you can see 5 fingers on the hands but a couple of frames earlier you couldn't (I couldn't quite capture those, it seems like the software skips a bit when taking the shot) but look at the feet. That shot is right at the beginning of the episode btw.

But I'm going to give a chance to this show anyway, I didn't say I wouldn't, I just think that the characters look out of place with the backgrounds. We have very detailed and beautiful backgrounds that are a joy to look at, some very nice background music and then we get characters that have a style I would consider worse than K-On (and I liked K-On). I don't have anything in particular against this lack of detail in the characters but I'm not particularly found of the mix of detailed backgrounds with it.

PS: nice Reductio ad Hitlerum, great way to prove your argument...

Last edited by Dextro; 2010-01-07 at 11:07. Reason: Godwin's Law
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-07, 00:28   Link #240
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Lite only if you're sequested and desperate.

If it's water, then they'd use it. They only ones that got doused with the water and dousing with water was the maiden. The demon/dragon firebombed the city so people died. The red liquid that the people are spraying so happily in the town could represent the blood of the dead from the firebombings or the destruction that rained from the skies caused by the demon. Being a European setting, my bet is for "blood" or demon destruction.

It's prob left up to the individual for interpretation until the anime tells us.
Could be symbolic, could also just be so that it's easier to tell the people who've been doused, and how much. In the spirit of fun I suppose. Kinda like paintball.

Just a hypothesis of course, but... *shrug*

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life