AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 3 3.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 7.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 18.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 18 22.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 11.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 13.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 6.17%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 4.94%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-05, 14:09   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Valkyria Chronicles - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Valkyria Chronicles ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about the DVD only footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting

• Which kind of footage (DVD only) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2009-10-05, 14:41   Link #2
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The OP and ED were all good. Though the 2nd OP does a wonderful job of spoiling future events...

For the actual anime, there were several unfortunate points, but it proved to be pretty entertaining.
The points of complaint would be:
1. Senjou no Valkyria... Yet there is so little focus on the "senjou"... A lot more romance-focused
2. The disappearance of the Elderweiss... They said Zaka would drive the thing. It never appeared again...
3. A lack of development for the side characters.

Though the most unfortunate thing was the attitude of the "fans". Getting a warning (that didn't have much effect past one episode thread). railing off to a stupid low-leveled argument on a different anime, *insert relentlessflame's post*
I heard the game was really good... But when I see how the "fans" of the game are, it makes me wonder if the game is actually not good and that the peo-... *cough* Nevermind. I'll keep that thought in my head...
Of course, this isn't a con of the anime, just the entire board for this anime was...

The story wasn't the best though. The characters were good enough. Kind of sad to see Welkin, the protagonist? turning into a wimp though.
Anyways, it was fun. The 2nd ED is in my MP3.
8/10

( ^ω^) "Fans" attacking from the shadows... As expected.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2009-10-05 at 18:27.
Old 2009-10-05, 15:15   Link #3
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

There are certainly better adaptations out there. Now I did enjoy the first 10 episodes. From there on, Not so much.
  • Animation Quality: 5
    This area was definitely lacking, below average shots and animation quality.
  • Voice Actors: 7
    Average, not much to say here.
  • Script: 3
    Now this, is the part that totally and completely baffles me. Seriously. There is already a story laid out and very well accepted amongst the audience. The characters are already well developed etc. Why take that, and mess with it? The Love triangle was completely unnecessary to begin with. All it did was make Welkin a useless sack of crap and degrade his character. Both Alicia and Faldio already knew that Alicia wasn't interested in Faldio. All it did was waste a couple of episodes inbetween that could have been used for better purposes.
    Spoiler for Namely:

I'm all for romance, but only if it's done properly. They should have shown Alicia and Welkin's development over Faldio's. Maximilien was a commander who shouldn't have overreacted at every little thing. I don't understand the character changes. I also don't understand why there were only maybe 5 squad 7 members introduced. The others did make appearances but the viewer was basically expected to already know their names.
  • Soundtrack: 6
    Again, Nothing special here. Nothing really struck me as "amazing".
  • Enjoyment: 3
    Not that enjoyable. I had force my way through multiple episodes. I had this series dropped at a point. Only watched it through for the sake of seeing it.
  • Emotional Involvement: 3
    None. I probably sympathized with Alicia alittle bit, but really nothing more then that.

Overall, 5/10

In comparison to source material, 2/10

Last edited by Foreshadow; 2009-10-05 at 19:05.
Old 2009-10-05, 16:04   Link #4
KariOhki

Awesome, been waiting for this topic. But I won't be assigning numbers to the following things, just talking about them.

Animation Quality: It started out really strong! I loved the way they used that pencil filter in the shading, even if it took a bit getting used to because it was static. But as the series went on, especially in battles, there got to be a lot of QUALITY shots. 20-23 were the worst in this, especially after the well done 17-19.

Voice Actors: I enjoyed them, though I'm not good at rating/comparing a JP voice track compared to an English one.

Soundtrack: For anime-only tracks, it's okay. Only a few were really good. All of the awesome tracks were taken from the game. However, I do love Rosie's song from episode 15 and the first OP. 2nd OP is okay, same with both EDs.

Enjoyment: The "fun" I had with this series ranges between actually liking it and making fun of it. When I liked it, I really liked it. I'd be laughing, or anticipating the danger, or whatever. But when it was bad...hoo boy, I loved making fun of things. Male Tsundere being useless, GARdio saving the day, Welkin being a wuss, Squad 7 being useless...

Emotional Involvement: The characters were my favorite thing about the show, though I knew more about them from their game counterparts. Isara ;_;

Other notes...well, for an adaptation, it sure adapted and changed a lot. The ending is so different from what I've heard (haven't played the game yet)! The series needed a lot more action and less romance, though I really didn't mind the love triangle too much. Faldio DID get on my nerves though, being perfect and then not even getting mentioned in the ending. Zaka was also pretty useless once he joined up, since the BFT disappeared. That thing can deflect other tank shells but you don't even use it...riiiight. Also, Ellet disappeared, and that made me sad.

I think someone mentioned here, or it could've been somewhere else, that they wanted to see someone who was seen the anime first without knowledge of the game, and then played the game. It won't be until giftmas time, but I'll be asking my mom's opinion of the game compared to the anime. Yes, I watched this through with my mom XD And it'll be interesting to see what she says when she finishes it...

ANYWAY my overall rating was 6/10. A decent show, mostly because I was attached to the characters.
Old 2009-10-05, 18:47   Link #5
kraken

Animation Quality: 6/10 Very Good Sometimes, Bad few times

Script: 4/10 so many incoherence to the logical sense, it remind me Code Geass R2. The ending was also rushed. there is also a lack of development for the side characters and a lack of war.

Music: 5/10 good but they are from the game, so...

Emotional Involvement:4/10 some good event (but below than the game however) but many very annoying episode with some very annoying character.

my overall rating is 5/10, average or decent if you are able to ignore the problem of the script.

my rating compared to the game is 3/10.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of the 7 only game I give 9/10 (with the Sakura taisen series , FFVII and 8, Xenosaga 1, Skies of Arcadia and Shadow Hearts)

I have also watched the anime with my mom (who is 60) she have liked some anime (Higurashi, Macross Zero, Death note, the Ghibli and Kanon) but, she found the anime really silly and bad (she give to it 3/10).

I have played to the game with her few time, she found the game decent even if the really dislike the war which is very present in the game.

She give 6/10 to the game.
Old 2009-10-05, 20:13   Link #6
Sassarai
Army of One

I gave it a 5

First half of the series 5/5

Showed Welkin as a capable leader and main character.
Battles were interesting.
Characters were developing nicely.

Second half (begining of the love triangle) 0/5

Fabio took over.
Valkyrias fighting DBZ style.
Characters weren't developing anymore instead we got a ridiculously dragged out love triangle.
Cheesy dialogue.

Music - Love 2nd op Kanashimi Rensa

I bet if I played the game I would of hated this series but since I didn't, I'm probably the most non bias guy I know of.
Old 2009-10-05, 21:17   Link #7
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I gave a 4/10.

I looked forward to VC intensely since the moment we all first heard about it. I looked forward to the anime almost as much as I looked forward to the game. But then things started to go sour before the first episode aired. We began to hear that the story would focus more on the love story than the war story. We saw animation examples. I became wary.

The first few episodes weren't bad, but they showed that several of the characters had been changed in very dramatic ways that may not be offensive to normal viewers but I felt were travesties to those of us who played the game. Alicia's personality became more volatile, Welkin became... dumber... and Faldio became the Best Thing Since... Ever.

I didn't expect the story to be a 1-for-1 translation; that would be dumb. But what I did expect was that the anime would retell some parts of the game while filling in parts of the story we never got to see in the game. The episode specifically related to Selvaria's past (introducing her ADC, I believe) was exactly what I had hoped a lot of the series would focus on; expansions of the game.

Unfortunately, what we saw was a total rewriting of the game. It cannot be treated as anything more than that. While the basic premise might be the same, with how dramatically Welkin and Alicia were changed coupled with how Faldio became the main character (which I don't think many people can deny was the case for a large portion of the series), I felt like I had been cheated. This was not Valkyria Chronicles I just finished watching; this was something that merely masqueraded as a member of the VC family.

What few battles we saw were poorly thought out and given hardly any screen time. What few recruitable characters they bothered to add spoke maybe 50 lines combined throughout the entire series.

I can only hope that they don't make another VC for any succeeding games (or just for the hell of it); I cannot trust that they'll do any better next time around. Now my only hope is that Valkyria Chronicles 2 for PSP does not ruin the series even further by being placed on a system that negates many of the properties that made the original VC such an absolutely superlative game in every manner.

That is all. For now.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-10-06, 05:43   Link #8
kanon78
Confederate

So much potential but such a waste...
5/10
Old 2009-10-06, 05:59   Link #9
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
? ???? "Fans" attacking from the shadows... As expected.
lt's ok S_B, l'm here for yah. l won't let those mean fans attack you!
want a hug?
as for my overall score, l'll do that once l 'm done with my doctors appointment.
Old 2009-10-06, 07:14   Link #10
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for My view:
Old 2009-10-06, 09:42   Link #11
Runty

Time for my overall review of the anime.

Spoiler for Storyline:

Spoiler for Animation:

Spoiler for Soundtrack:

Spoiler for Enjoyment:

Overall - 8/10
Old 2009-10-06, 14:03   Link #12
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

6/10 .

Yeah , this anime was interesting , promising , enjoyable in the beginning .
But near the end , they screwed up this show . Too bad . It could be a good anime .
Old 2009-10-06, 18:36   Link #13
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Animation/VA/Soundtrack - Nothing bad, nothing mindblowing, not really anything to say about it except that it was good.

As far as story/scripting goes, I'm just kind of at a loss regarding certain decisions, like making Faldio a main character. Why do that? He's not interesting, and the way certain scenes played out with him being portrayed as perfect almost made it seem like they did it just to spite Welkin. And the fact that nobody was mad at him and he got off scott-free after a couple highly questionable actions made it even worse.

There's also the issue that the squad members were almost entirely irrelevant. Barely any lines or role in the plot at all. If I hadn't played the game I wouldn't even know any of their names aside from Susie who kind of played a role in the first episode.

I've criticized the love triangle as stupid in the past, but looking back it wouldn't feel entirely out of place to me if I hadn't played the game. I'd say I have no opinion either way about it, if not for Faldio being a terrible character.

Aside from that though it would be a pretty decent standalone series with a good amount of drama, action, and suspense. Unfortunately as an adaptation it fails really hard. I can understand and even support the including of things that weren't in the original work, expanding upon others, and skipping some moments that are relatively unimportant, but outright changing a large number of major plot points is going too far. At times, especially scenes featuring Faldio, it almost felt like more of a parody or a Take That than an adaptation. "Hey, remember that awesome thing that you did in the game as Welkin? Nah, Faldio did that."

That said, I was still relatively entertained by every episode, production values were pretty good, and, as previously mentioned, a lot of it was decent as an anime series despite being an extremely poor adaptation of a game, so I'm rating it a 6/10 overall.
Old 2009-10-06, 20:59   Link #14
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I've criticized the love triangle as stupid in the past, but looking back it wouldn't feel entirely out of place to me if I hadn't played the game. I'd say I have no opinion either way about it, if not for Faldio being a terrible character.
Had it been Juno, I don't think I would've complained at all.

We know in the game that she has a crush on Welkin but it's never fleshed out at all. That would've been the logical extension for the anime to make, I feel. It never did, obviously.

Old 2009-10-06, 23:24   Link #15
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

My view? Simple:

Spoiler for You guessed it:

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-10-06, 23:48   Link #16
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

I just have to say I feel sorry for the people who have yet to watch this if they are planning to. The only reason I could finish this is because I only watched an episode a week, I wouldn't bear watching it in a day or two.

Also, I never played the game. If I did, I may have had a different opinion about it.
Old 2009-10-07, 07:20   Link #17
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

4/10.

It started out really great and had a lot of promise. But boy did it get bad.. so very bad. I only watched the last few episodes since I prefer to finish what I start - there was little motivation to see what happened to the characters.

Such disappointment.
Old 2009-10-09, 18:09   Link #18
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
http://www.valkyria-anime.com/specia...821/index.html

Here's the overall vote on the characters of VC based on the show.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-10-09, 18:30   Link #19
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hmm, what to say, what to say? If I were to describe Valkyria Chronicles, I would say that it is an anime that missed its potential. It is tediously slow to begin, yet has a satisfying end. Unfortunately, it doesn’t really pick up until the last couple of episodes, which makes watching it… rather difficult. It is clear that Valkyria Chronicles could have been much more had proper attention been given to its script.

One of the main problem lies in that it tries both to be close to the game and different at the same time. This makes the script quite wobbly at times, and only the last episodes manage to get this pace right.

Now, on to a list of the bad and good sides of Valkyria Chronicles:

The bad.

Horrible pacing. There are times when entire fights are skipped, making you wonder what the hell happened, and yet there were times where the calm moments seemed to be dragging on forever. Now calm moments aren’t bad, if they give good character development. Sadly, lot of them ended up going nowhere, making much of the episodes more filler than content.

Casting. The anime also didn’t take advantage of the large cast, most of the squad 7 have tiny little side roles at best, and could easily be replaced with faceless mooks. Again, this does improve slightly in the later episodes, but they should have done this sooner.

Ramal. Poor, poor Ramal. Created for the anime, yet he served no real purpose whatsoever. His connection with Isara seemed to be going somewhere, then was flushed down the toilet. Had he been replaced with a known face from the game, I would think that the advantage of already having a background (albeit a meta one) would have made him seem far less out of place.

The good.

Good things? In this anime? Surely I must be jesting, right? Not quite, this anime does have some bright sides. If you care to look for them.

Valkyria action. One of the greatest disappointments of the game was just how little we actually got to see the Valkyria in action. The anime approaches this differently, and although it throws them in battle later than the game does, it gives us a lot more action with them.

Imperial background. Sure, it’s not much, but the anime touches upon things hardly touched upon, or sometimes even completely left untouched in the game, such as the Empire itself, Maximillian’s motivations are given more perspective, Selveria’s background is explored. All in all nice additions.

Changes. A topic many will disagree with me. Personally, I never saw the value in animating Valkyria Chronicles one on one. After all, the game already looks like an anime, what’s the point? It’d just be the game without gameplay. No, I was always looking forward to the changes, and although they were not always executed that well (or sometimes even horrible) they did help me from rolling my eyes and go “been there, done that.” One of the things they changed –or should I say add?- was making Alicia and Selveria know each other. Some may loathe this change, I myself rather like it. It gave their fight a bit more depth. Another was the small action of giving Cordelia a wig, which makes perfect sense, considering she’s a queen with a rather large secret to keep. Alicia as a Valkyria was also changed a lot, and too be honest, the way the anime does it makes a lot more sense than the way the game does it.

In short

Valkyria Chronicles is an anime with a lot of potential which, unfortunately, remains untapped for the greater part. While the ending was good, it does not make up for the drag the majority of the series was. As a rating, I cannot give this anime higher than a 6 out of 10.
Old 2009-10-09, 22:40   Link #20
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
http://www.valkyria-anime.com/specia...821/index.html

Here's the overall vote on the characters of VC based on the show.
Wow. Faldio was beat out by Welkin. That's a shock.

Closed Thread