AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 04:14   Link #41
Qilin
Romanticist

Eh. I don't care about them. Being closed-minded or obnoxious is a personal choice like many other things, but if they choose to flaunt that ignorance in front of others like it's something to be proud of, they shouldn't complain if people start judging them negatively. It's a trade-off in the end. It's their freedom to express themselves in the same way that it's everyone else's freedom to laugh and make fun of them. Everyone deserves their slice of pie.

My only concern is how the term may evolve to the point that the stereotype spills over to encompass people who legitimately are interested in the finer aspects of Japanese culture. This isn't at all fair to those people.
Old 2013-01-20, 04:15   Link #42
Kyuu
=^^=

Oh. I've noticed a lot of whitey's -- yea, that's what I'll call y'all -- happen to not like this product:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_bean_paste

What the hell is wrong with you people? This stuff is the bomb!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 04:18   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nah, SaintessHeart and I are fine. He likes to poke at me because I have a loli-tsundere fluff of storm and lightning (who doesn't really need protecting, she can probably kick my ass - she knows too many joint destroying moves and gun-fu).

Frailty is describing the dweebs that get on my nerves and are embarrassing. They just make life tougher for the rest of us.

What the hell? I love ahn (red bean paste). My wife and I use it when we make mochi and taiyaki.
Old 2013-01-20, 04:20   Link #44
Pink Cow
This is my title.

A lot of people mistake "Wapanese/Weeaboo" to be any person who watches anime or likes anything related to Japan. This can be annoying, because by that line of thinking, everyone on this forum is a weeaboo. ^^;

But "wapanese/weeaboo" actually refers to people who watched anime or read manga and then suddenly think Japan is the ultimate wonderland and that every other country is inferior. Japanese products would be the best ever, the language would be the best language, the people are the best people, etc, and there are no "buts". The annoying thing about these people is that they tend to be obnoxious and racist. They mix Japanese words (commonly "kawaii", "sugoi", "kakkoii", "baka", etc) in their sentences, wish they were Japanese (or part-Japanese, sometimes they pretend to be), they claim to want to learn Japanese but use only anime as a source and ONLY anime... Some also tend to be know-it-alls even if they don't know what they're talking about.

At first glance it's hard to tell who's weeaboo and who's otaku or who's a regular fan. All weeaboos are otaku/anime fans but not all otaku/anime fans are weeaboos. Some weeaboos are tolerable and easy to ignore, but others can be annoying.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 04:20   Link #45
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Eh. I don't care about them. Being closed-minded or obnoxious is a personal choice like many other things, but if they choose to flaunt that ignorance in front of others like it's something to be proud of, they shouldn't complain if people start judging them negatively. It's a trade-off in the end. It's their freedom to express themselves in the same way that it's everyone else's freedom to laugh and make fun of them. Everyone deserves their slice of pie.

My only concern is how the term may evolve to the point that the stereotype spills over to encompass people who legitimately are interested in the finer aspects of Japanese culture. This isn't at all fair to those people.
I know, I have unfortunately experienced this. It's very unfair, the concerned person decided to ignore how I bleed my country's colors and love it to death, and says I want to be Japanese just because I study the language. But no one liked him anyway, he was a mean guy...

Stuff like this is what keeps people in my country from studying other languages. Too many just sit on their butt and expect everyone else to work their butts off learning English.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 04:39   Link #46
Sumeragi
Banned

I find them annoying.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 04:50   Link #47
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Nah, SaintessHeart and I are fine. He likes to poke at me because I have a loli-tsundere fluff of storm and lightning (who doesn't really need protecting, she can probably kick my ass - she knows too many joint destroying moves and gun-fu).
It is not like I am jealous or anything! I have my own loli waifus! So there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Me sorry. I was referring to him.

In Japan he's pretty much sole reason why Japanese don't like otaku. I love people who love Japaese pop culture. I just don't like it when they associate themselves with names akin to "Adam Lanza" and "shutin loser Antisocial", in blind belief that otaku is a newly cool word like its counterpart in my country, the "nerd".
Although I do have a homicidal streak when I get really angry, I don't think I can bring myself to do things like that because I still retain a conscience.

These are the people who lost confidence in themselves and their personal beliefs because everyone is deriding them and they have nobody to talk to, or rather, nobody wants to listen or understand them.

If this article of Sankaku is to be believed, it could be due to how the society functions with its dysfunctions; hiercachies and adherence to "societal norms" make for more peaceful societies, yes, but it still destroys the personal element of humanity.

Quote:
Stuff like this is what keeps people in my country from studying other languages. Too many just sit on their butt and expect everyone else to work their butts off learning English.
I don't think there is anything wrong, in fact I do see people who aren't bothered to even learn the most basic of conversational English, no matter how broken it will come out of their mouths, as frogs in their wells. Broken English is absolutely fine, but not wanting to learn to speak the most basic of the lingua franca is like being elitist and not wanting to talk to anyone else that isn't of their own race and culture.

That is why I respect Hong Kong-ers - their fluency with their main language of Cantonese make them terrible English speakers, but they still do their best to speak "Queen's English", although with the difficult-to-comprehend Cantonese accent. Sometimes I don't know what to say when conversing with my HK friends in English because their sentence construction and grammar are accurate and correct, but their tonality is mind-boggling.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 05:01   Link #48
Kudryavka

In my country the most common language is English. In my foreign language schooling (particularly in high school) there's been this air that I don't have to actually learn other languages, so with most HS kids being lazy as they are, they decide to ignore actually learning (and it's why there were so many kids with As in level 3 Spanish, but only about five of us actually cared about learning. The rest just wanted to put the classes on their college apps). Of course this mentality isn't helped in that we don't get a lot of choice in languages in HS, we only can choose Spanish and maybe some other West European language. They're starting to bring in Mandarin though, my friend's kid goes to a Mandarin daycare.
Old 2013-01-20, 05:40   Link #49
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I guess it's the same kind of "hate" that hipsters get, since I see them on equivalent level only in different direction. I find them annoying, but then I remember I went through that phase to, so I just leave them alone so long as they return the favor. It's their share in life experiencing "chuunibyo" period, like most people, only perhaps these people have it more severe than others.
Old 2013-01-20, 05:41   Link #50
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I guess it's the same kind of "hate" that hipsters get, since I see them on equivalent level only in different direction. I find them annoying, but then I remember I went through that phase to, so I just leave them alone so long as they return the favor. It's their share in life experiencing "chuunibyo" period, like most people, only perhaps these people have it more severe than others.
What is chuunibyo period?
Old 2013-01-20, 06:32   Link #51
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
What is chuunibyo period?
it's that time in one's life where one believes that one hails from a fantasy world. Where one believes they have superpowers or believes they can or have seen supernatural creatures such as ghosts, espers, aliens and the like.

Basically, they're like role-playing kids only older.

anyway, I dunno
I think chuunis are very much different from weaboos

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 06:39   Link #52
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
it's that time in one's life where one believes that one hails from a fantasy world. Where one believes they have superpowers or believes they can or have seen supernatural creatures such as ghosts, espers, aliens and the like.

anyway, I dunno
Sounds like mild schizpheernia. There are some stories on weeaboostories about people who imagine themselves to be the sister of Saske and Sailor Moon. One about a girl who believed she had a magical sword with powers only usable when her fake eyepatch was removed. So she let her magic sword flow and beat down a girl who said she didn't like yaoi sex. And stomped her face.
Old 2013-01-20, 06:50   Link #53
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post

anyway, I dunno

That's a narrow description of chuunibyou and would lead to much misunderstanding like the poster above me.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Let me make a few examples:

- A middle schooler used to like a band but suddenly becomes irritated that it became too mainstream because now he's just one of their many fans? That's a chuunibyou
- A middle schooler starts drinking coffee even if he doesn't like it just to appear more adult and cool than his peers? That's a chuunibyou
- A middle schooler starts acting like a delinquent and brags about his misdeeds and fights, even if actually didn't do anything, for the sole purpose of looking cool and special? That's a chuunibyou

There are then the Jakigan chuunibyou, they push it even further by creating fantastic backgrounds and claiming to possess supernatural powers. But they aren't really any more disturbed than the examples before, and the point is still to "look cool and special".
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 06:52   Link #54
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Sounds like mild schizpheernia. There are some stories on weeaboostories about people who imagine themselves to be the sister of Saske and Sailor Moon. One about a girl who believed she had a magical sword with powers only usable when her fake eyepatch was removed. So she let her magic sword flow and beat down a girl who said she didn't like yaoi sex. And stomped her face.
Ah, a weeaboostories follower. XP

I feel glad I've never met an extreme weeaboo. The stories scare me a lot...

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 09:23   Link #55
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I think people who think their skin is better than the rest is mentally inferior. When I was still an insurance agent, a senior agent said during a talk that with Western countries becoming bankrupt and China having a huge trade surplus, this is "the age of the yellow-skinned man".
Funniest thing...he's local right? Are we here even yellow, more like fried under tropical sun until well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Woah, ask Saintess Heart, I'm not that kind! I'm innocent!!!!

Any way, Wapanese are none Japanese wanting to be Japanese right? I don't think most otakus are that way. They are more of a hobbyist and a not a Wanna be Japanese.

Oh that reminds me of the song "Going Japanese"...
Are you going to use some term to label Lafcadio Hearn? He's like....the pinnacle, yet who can deny his success?
Old 2013-01-20, 10:30   Link #56
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I've never seen one in real life, but I'm sure if I went to an anime convention or something there'd be some floating around. I also see the term getting misused, though - you're a weeaboo for learning Japanese language, for example...
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 10:43   Link #57
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I've never seen one in real life, but I'm sure if I went to an anime convention or something there'd be some floating around. I also see the term getting misused, though - you're a weeaboo for learning Japanese language, for example...
Hm, I hope I don't negatively encounter any when I go to my city's convention. I won't be cosplaying, so maybe that will help.
Old 2013-01-20, 11:02   Link #58
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I've seen several cases like this. Which I find very annoying, although I've not personally met anyone that's actually one. Although I do admit to being one in the past
Old 2013-01-20, 11:51   Link #59
sikvod00

I agree with those who say that weeaboo is a pejorative term that only refers to a minority group that are legitimately obnoxious. But like so many other labels out there, the so-called "moderates" get thrown into the mix simply because they share similar characteristics. Now people may wrongly use the label out of ignorance or to intentionally dismiss or discredit others. My hope is that because we see how unfair this is since it hits close to home, we can also recognize the abuse/misuse of words in other groups that we may not associate with (e.g. feminists = feminazis, gun ethusiast = paranoid NRA gunnut). It's the same thing, so we should also be mindful of the way we use words to describe other groups.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2013-01-20 at 12:10.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 11:54   Link #60
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I agree with those who say that weeaboo is a pejorative term that only refers to a minority group that are legitimately obnoxious. But like so many other labels out there, the so-called "moderates" get thrown into the mix simply because they share similar characteristics. Now people may wrongly use the label out of ignorance or to intentionally dismiss or discredit others. My hope is that because we see how unfair this is since it hits close to home, we can also recognize the abuse/misuse of words in other groups that we may not associate with (e.g. feminists = feminazis, gun ethusiast = paranoid NRA gunnut). It's the same thing, so [I]we[/I should also be mindful of the way we use words to describe other groups.
You speaed butifully.